Is this the original Billy boys words ?

Newtown Bear

Years ago my Dad told me these were the original words to the Billy boys anyone else heard these lyrics ?

Hello hello you`ll hear us proudly cry
hello hello as we go marching by
we`ll sing the sash and Derry`s walls
and of the heroes of the Boyne
as we go marching to Ibrox

No F words so wonder if this version would be politically correct !

We cannot sing it in any form. Any attempt to change the words will inevitably end up in people using the original words and getting us in trouble.

It’s finished. Let it go.
This. This is exactly why the club evidently will have to be utterly explicit and leave absolutely no room for the hard-of-thinking to be ignorant, or feign ignorance.

UEFA’s directive was abundantly clear. Rangers fans are banned from singing the song “in any form”. It’s not fair, it’s not right but it isn’t fact. Can people stop looking for ways around it and put their energies into something useful.

This is the one I knew when I was growing up listening to rangers records

We are the people who sing of victory
We follow Glasgow Rangers from Kilmarnock to Dundee
We follow Glasgow Rangers our hearts are strong and true
For we are the people who cheer the boys in blue.
A goal! A goal!
We're ready to acclaim
A goal! A goal!
To win another game
We follow Glasgow Rangers our hearts are strong and true.

I only learned the "alternative" version as I got older.

This. This is exactly why the club evidently will have to be utterly explicit and leave absolutely no room for the hard-of-thinking to be ignorant, or feign ignorance.

UEFA’s directive was abundantly clear. Rangers fans are banned from singing the song “in any form”. Can people stop looking for ways around it and put their energies into something useful.

Don’t be ridiculous. UEFA can’t ban the song they can only ban the words that are offensive

We cannot sing it in any form. Any attempt to change the words will inevitably end up in people using the original words and getting us in trouble.

Can't disagree with that. The idiots have won. Hopefully this is the wake up call for them.

The original will be the one made in the early 1900s about Billy Fullerton. Any other alternative with Rangers or football lyrics will be ones made by the club to try and dissuade the original one being sung. The fact that none of them have ever taken off his further proof that 'just changing one word' won't work.

If you can read my post then you are also capable of reading the directive. Just because you don’t want it’s to be true, it doesn’t mean it’s not. Just because it isn’t fair, it doesn’t mean they can’t.

No need to be offensive in suggesting I’m not capable of reading . In any case it is said that the song cannot be sung as it contains the word 19th Century Terrorist which is defined as racist and sectarian . The real truth of the matter is if the word was changed to Celtic then there is feck all they could have done about it . The fact it’s come to this means everyone is too scared to challenge the fact that the song is not racist or sectarian without that word in it .

No need to be offensive in suggesting I’m not capable of reading . In any case it is said that the song cannot be sung as it contains the word 19th Century Terrorist which is defined as racist and sectarian . The real truth of the matter is if the word was changed to Celtic then there is feck all they could have done about it . The fact it’s come to this means everyone is too scared to challenge the fact that the song is not racist or sectarian without that word in it .
I suggested you read the directive actually. And I strongly suggest you do so in order to disabuse yourself of the misguided notion that “if the word was changed to Celtic” then we will be fine.

It’s a shite judgement, the faux offence is a charade. But TBB is a battle lost and if you keep fighting it then you simply weaken us for the battles ahead.

It’s UEFA’s rules and, as the directive makes clear, we agreed we’d be bound by them. So they can, and have, set the rules with regards to TBB and it’s nothing but egregious stupidity to be looking for ways around it.

If you can read my post then you are also capable of reading the directive. Just because you don’t want it to be true, it doesn’t mean it’s not. Just because it isn’t fair, it doesn’t mean they can’t.

So effectively UEFA have banned a melody but only for one club? More than a bit prejudicial as it allows no opportunity to remove/amend any offensive lyrics. Very odd.

So effectively UEFA have banned a melody but only for one club? More than a bit prejudicial as it allows no opportunity to remove/amend any offensive lyrics. Very odd.
Yes they have. Yes it is and no it doesn’t.

But it is reality. Unless and until the Club was able to get the directive overturned then that reality will remain unchanged. And it’s also an indictment of the clarity of the club’s messaging on the subject that there is quite as much ignorance of the facts as this board suggests.

I suggested you read the directive actually. And I strongly suggest you do so in order to disabuse yourself of the misguided notion that “if the word was changed to Celtic” then we will be fine.

It’s a shite judgement, the faux offence is a charade. But TBB is a battle lost and if you keep fighting it then you simply weaken us for the battles ahead.

It’s UEFA’s rules and, as the directive makes clear, we agreed we’d be bound by them. So they can, and have, set the rules with regards to TBB and it’s nothing but egregious stupidity to be looking for ways around it.

Can you post the directive

LJ50 laying out absolute facts here. Class to see. It's shite but it is what it is.

It's UEFAs party and if you don't play by the rules you won't be invited.

Stop singing songs they don't want us to sing. We probably shouldn't sing them anyway if we're all honest.

LJ50 laying out absolute facts here. Class to see. It's shite but it is what it is.

It's UEFAs party and if you don't play by the rules you won't be invited.

Stop singing songs they don't want us to sing. We probably shouldn't sing them anyway if we're all honest.

Why should we not sing TBB ? I fully understand the word 19th Century Terrorist not being sung

This is the one I knew when I was growing up listening to rangers records

We are the people who sing of victory
We follow Glasgow Rangers from Kilmarnock to Dundee
We follow Glasgow Rangers our hearts are strong and true
A goal! A goal!
We're ready to acclaim
A goal! A goal!
To win another game
We follow Glasgow Rangers our hearts are strong and true.

I only learned the "alternative" version as I got older.

On this fine piece of vinyl

R-2755165-1439145853-8814-jpeg.jpg

Some misinformation being spread here or misunderstood.

Of course the melody of the BB isn't banned. UEFA cannot ban a 'tune'.

You have to remember, UEFA just get a 'song' reported to them. They have said this song is unacceptable and effectively banned.

Much like Sloop John B (Famine Song) isn't banned...it is the words, not the melody.

Some misinformation being spread here or misunderstood.

Of course the melody of the BB isn't banned. UEFA cannot ban a 'tune'.

You have to remember, UEFA just get a 'song' reported to them. They have said this song is unacceptable and effectively banned.

Much like Sloop John B (Famine Song) isn't banned...it is the words, not the melody.
Page 12:
The opening words “Hello, hello, we are the Billy Boys”, as well as the melody, are sufficient to make an association with an attitude that is strongly sectarian and thus discriminatory.
You are spreading misinformation.

A goal! A goal!
We’re ready to acclaim,
A goal! A goal!
To win another game,
We’re followers of Rangers,
Our hearts are strong and true,
We are the people who cheer the boys in blue.

My recollection is that these are the original words

The last 3 lines are the way I taught my kids the BB
Obviously with the hello hello you’ll know us by our noise version
But used the those 3 lines to finish it

But they now attend matches so that version is s distant memory

If you can read my post then you are also capable of reading the directive. Just because you don’t want it to be true, it doesn’t mean it’s not. Just because it isn’t fair, it doesn’t mean they can’t.

Nonsense. there can be absolutely no case for punishment on grounds of sectarianism if the song doesn’t contain the offending words. That’s why the club have to be explicit on what words are deemed banned (despite it perhaps being obvious).

They cannot punish us for singing lyrics along to the tune of Marching Through Georgia... otherwise you are saying we could be banned for whistling it?? We would take that to CAS and UEFA would have their arse handed to them. Punishment has to fit within the bylaws.

They did. In 2006.

People are either too young, have forgotten or weren’t paying attention at the time.

Hence my statement about that the club evidently needing to be absolutely explicit and more repetitive.
It’s 13 years ago and in case you hadn’t noticed the club has been to hell and back for a substantial period of that

It was massive news at the time and for a long time it disappeared. It's crept back in bit by bit and now we're here again.

It honestly couldn't be clearer. It's just a song. Let it go for %^*& sake. The world won't end.

Sorry mate but our lawyers etc need a boot up the arse if they are accepting this absolute nonsense
13 years ago. 13.

We accepted it 13 years ago after making the representations outlined in the directive. Maybe it’s was incompetent, but it’s done. So can we just move the %^*& on.

Nonsense. there can be absolutely no case for punishment on grounds of sectarianism if the song doesn’t contain the offending words. That’s why the club have to be explicit on what words are deemed banned (despite it perhaps being obvious).

They cannot punish us for singing lyrics along to the tune of Marching Through Georgia... otherwise you are saying we could be banned for whistling it?? We would take that to CAS and UEFA would have their arse handed to them. Punishment has to fit within the bylaws.
As I said, just because you won’t want something to be true, doesn’t mean it isn’t true.

Read the directive. Cry about it, scream at the ridiculousness of it. Shake your fist at the unfairness. Makes not a blind bit of difference to the facts.

Nonsense. there can be absolutely no case for punishment on grounds of sectarianism if the song doesn’t contain the offending words.

Why are you still writing this after he's actually shown you the judgement?

i know you don't want it to be the case, but it really couldn't be clearer.

It's shite. It's probably not lawful either were it to be challenged but it wasn't.

As I said, just because you won’t want something to be true, doesn’t mean it isn’t true.

Read the directive. Cry about it, scream at the ridiculousness of it. Shake your fist at the unfairness. Makes not a blind bit of difference to the facts.

Did you not read the bit I said above about us going to CAS? UEFA have to punish us on grounds of the Article. Singing along to that tune without any offensive lyrics cannot fall under that. We would win any case.

This is where clarification is required on specifics. Meekly swallowing it without this would be ridiculous and leaves us open for future creep into other songs/behaviour/etc.

It’s 13 years ago and in case you hadn’t noticed the club has been to hell and back for a substantial period of that
So, what’s your point? As I said, people may have forgotten. I’m nothing sure how, it’s not a difficult thing to remember irrespective of everything that’s happened. Some people will be too young, which is why the minute we got back into Europe the club should have spelled it out again, explicitly. It would also have removed the ignorance excuse and denial that many seem to be living in.

Page 12:

You are spreading misinformation.

You cannot ban a melody. There is no example in the western world of this*. It would be destroyed in a court of law if challenged.

*Deutschland uber alles was banned for a while then they changed the lyrics.

Uefa probably wouldn't bother their arse trying to translate it. Like you said it's over.

Did you not read the bit I said above about us going to CAS? UEFA have to punish us on grounds of the Article. Singing along to that tune without any offensive lyrics cannot fall under that. We would win any case.

This is where clarification is required on specifics. Meekly swallowing it without this would be ridiculous and leaves us open for future creep into other songs/behaviour/etc.
In this document, signed by the club on 01 June 2005, Rangers FC acknowledged to “undertake to be bound by and observe the UEFA Statutes and relevant regulations, including the Disciplinary Regulations and the relevant UEFA club competition regulations, as well as any other essential decisions taken by the competent bodies regarding the competition in question.” As a result, Rangers FC is subject to UEFA‟s jurisdiction.
Maybe we could have appealed further. Maybe we could have gone to CAS.

We didn’t. So the directive stands, we accepted it.

You cannot ban a melody. There is no example in the western world of this*. It would be destroyed in a court of law if challenged.

You can console yourself with cosmic justice. Sadly, if we want to play in UEFA competitions then we are subject to theirs. And evidently the can ban a melody. It’s there in black and white for you.

There's an example of it quoted to you in this thread mate. They did it. To us.

It wasn't challenged so that's a moot point, and the board or anyone else for that matter have shown absolutely no appetite to do so.

Simply saying "We'd win if we took it to court" is absolutely pointless considering it's not something we will ever do.

Let the song go.

Why are you still writing this after he's actually shown you the judgement?

i know you don't want it to be the case, but it really couldn't be clearer.

It's shite. It's probably not lawful either were it to be challenged but it wasn't.

UEFA cannot ban a tune for crying out loud! Use some form of autonomy and think about that for the shortest of seconds... it’s ludicrous and couldn’t be upheld!

Look, I don’t see a place at the football for these words or add ons. Times have changed and society’s has moved on for the better. Most of us all now come from mixed backgrounds, families, friend circles, etc. We should drop it. But in my view the club need to define the offending words (as identified by UEFA) and clearly state that ongoing use will lead to continued sanctions on the club.

For what it’s worth - and I digress for a moment - this is why I believe the majority of Rangers fans don’t use the F word to mean Catholic. It quite clearly is used it interchangeably to mean “Celtic fans”. For that reason, dropping any reference to the F word should be easy...

Dropping “tunes” however is moronic without seeking clarification. Amongst other things it allows us to put it all to bed once and for all without confusions.

You have the patience of a saint.
I really don’t.

But it is really, really fucking important that people understand this. We don’t have to like it. But we have to accept it or it’ll be empty Ibrox, followed by no Europe, followed by more years in the wilderness as a result of the financial and reputational damage it will do to us. Anyone who thinks we attract Gerrard as our manger and retain players like Morelos when we have no money and no European football to offer them is utterly delusional.

After everything we’ve been through, I can’t face that.

Back