Is this the time now to think about leaving the SPFL?

I am sure I'm not alone in losing the will to follow my team in a country that is hell bent to destroy it.

If that immoral mob is awarded the biggest tainted trophy ever whilst the likes of doncaster and lawwell are skipping down the garden path Then surely its time to go. Scottish media will be singing their praises for sure as they have no integrity either.

Other teams will also cheer on as they have no standards, they have become Celtic pawns and basically are happy as long as we are trodden on.

Sporting integrity has gone. Even if it is delayed the narrative has been set and the weak leaders or liewells puppets in the SFA and SPFL will go along as he says.

Our own Stewart Robertson is very quiet right now, yet he is on the board that decides. I hope he is keeping his powder dry for a damn good reason.

We had a chance of looking at other avenues in 2012 and we have another chance now. If anything I am more determined for my team to look at alternatives now more than ever. And there will be alternatives with the UEFA fall out. We are a big deal regarding finances from broadcasters surely now is the time to explore other options with football off the table for a long period for sure in regards to spectators.

Hopefully, my concern that Stewart Robertson is having his belly tickled is just a poor assumption on my part. However, we should be looking at other avenues, its time we moved on and it would be beneficial in regards to the product on offer as let us be honest playing a team 4 times sometimes six a season is a chore.
To go were?

there are 134 teams north and south of the border. Anyone thinking we will have any number like this when this virus ends are delusional.

If dozens of clubs go out of business (which is a possibility if this situation lasts for several months), it may get to the point where there will have to be leagues being merged. The SFA may be left with not enough clubs and we'll have to rejoin the FA. I know it seems unlikely but, in this current climate, who knows.

And the winner for the most pointless thread of the day is...

Your spot on, Oh yes I would love to see a League of Ireland style League left up here, doing a nose dive. However their is Zilch chance of us getting into England, and why even bother with a post that’s been done too Death. The only slight chance, is when the TV channels decide they want us?

Your spot on, Oh yes I would love to see a League of Ireland style League left up here, doing a nose dive. However their is Zilch chance of us getting into England, and why even bother with a post that’s been done too Death. The only slight chance, is when the TV channels decide they want us?

Highlighted. M8 that is exactly what is being asked right now with broadcasting rights, clubs folding. UEFA fall out. There is a distinct possibility of new set ups, merges, new competitions will rise from this pandemic. Months from now yes but we should be ready to talk for sure.

This has really got more to do with just how much damage the virus will cause football.

Will governments which have spent a fortune shoring up the economy ride to the rescue of football clubs throughout Europe?

If the crisis leads to much of next season being written off and clubs go the wall then then long-standing positions will inevitably crumble.

This has really got more to do with just how much damage the virus will cause football.

Will governments which have spent a fortune shoring up the economy ride to the rescue of football clubs throughout Europe?

If the crisis leads to much of next season being written off and clubs go the wall then then long-standing positions will inevitably crumble.

UEFA may crumble. It is a possibility.

The conference league did have a meeting and a vote on us being admitted which I recall went in our favour but we decided to go to the Scottish Third division for some reason

Despite Charles Green’s bulls**t at the time regarding this option UEFA made it clear cross-borders moves were not permissible.

Yes we could have looked at legal options but the English leagues, ultimately had zero interest in opposing UEFA on this.

There was no viable route South.

I can remember this being mooted as far back as the late 80's.

It wasn't an option then, and it's not an option now.

Regardless of what the situation is, we have one option. We stay and we fight - so roll your sleeves up and bunker down.

If a lot of clubs go to to the wall it's more likely that there will be a reduction in "top flight leagues'than cross border ones imo

Would happily accept a place in the English conference if it meant us getting out of this mentally challenged run league and country. Sadly it’ll never happen.

I can understand the clamour to freshen things up and relieve the monotony of the S.P.L.Along with a very subtle level of corruption at the heart of it but there seems to be no way out,It is what it is hating itself to death with one club at the reaping the benefit.

The landscape will have dramatically changed after this crisis so there may well be discussions in future that include cross border leagues or changes to the European club competitions.

I genuinely don't see how this is something that's desirable.

Scottish football has a lot of untapped potential and has done for decades, the focus should be on realising that rather than abandoning our roots and our history.

Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and even Dundee United are decently sized clubs, then you obviously have us and them who are very big.

It just needs to be dragged into the 21st century, well aware it's easier said than done but the self deprecation in Scotland sort of gives the authorities and owners of clubs a free pass to under deliver

As attractive as it sounds it will never happen .

The English don't need us and if they did the soapdodgers would be part of any deal .

The English public wouldn't want us as a fanbase .

The Police wouldn't want us as a fanbase .

The only way this would work is if there was a British league system and that would have to include the dross from Scotland , Northern Ireland and Wales .

If this goes on as long as I suspect t it will, then a lot of clubs will die.
Providing we survive then I am sure an opportunity of some description will present itself.
I can see the SFA and SPFL going bust before Us and probably them.

Last edited:
Potentially if lockdown turns out to be long term as in no more football in 2020 or at least till late October at the earliest then a lot of small local clubs in Scotland and in league 1 and 2 in England won't survive.

If we lost say around 30+ clubs on both sides of the border I would imagine the EFL and SPFL might look at some kind of merger. I know Uefa have never been keen on the idea of cross border leagues but the whole world will change after this virus is contained and football won't be immune to change.

The Scottish Challenge Cup this season has teams from every part of the UK and ROI taking part in it as well without Uefa saying anything on it.

Times are changing and so will football, it's now a case of when not if cross border/European leagues start.

As attractive as it sounds it will never happen .

The English don't need us and if they did the soapdodgers would be part of any deal .

The English public wouldn't want us as a fanbase .

The Police wouldn't want us as a fanbase .

The only way this would work is if there was a British league system and that would have to include the dross from Scotland , Northern Ireland and Wales .
this, we have nothing to offer them down south ,we have no cards to play

Please can we come and play in England?

Why?

Cos they're talking about awarding them the title and it's pure no fair.

Hmm, not sure that'll cut it.

I would rather start running rampant in Scotland again, instead of pissing off with our tails between our legs. We have far too many scores to settle, and they will be settled

Mate in 2012 and at other times various of the authorities that would have to approve a league switch have clarified its not possible.

The FF idea that an opportunity was missed to go South in 2012 is simply untrue.

A UEFA member cannot up and join another member country league - it’s not permitted.

Let's not tell Cardiff City, Newport County, Swansea City, Berwick Rangers or Derry City that.

We didn't have a chance to go anywhere then and we don't have a chance to go anywhere now.
People need to realise we do not have any alternatives. We are stuck in this crap league and have become the whipping boys.
All we can do is highlight the bigoted decisions, the inequality and start to fight our corner.
The number of people on here saying they will be finished with football if a tainted title is awarded should be sent to bed without any tea.
They won't be finished , just pissed off and angry.!

I wrote yesterday about this very subject, if this virus goes on any length of time football in the UK as we know it will be gone, the amount of clubs who will go to the wall down there with the debt they have, will be horrendous, at this moment in time, I can see perhaps by invite only, taking place?

Scottish football is toxic !!

It just isn't any fun anymore but where to go ?

My thoughts too. The game is dead here in Scotland. When Celtic get 10 I think they'll then be happy to consider making changes. Big changes. We have no influence and no power and will eventually get tired playing the panto villain.

They tried to kill us in 2012. They're still trying and in my opinion succeeding.

I don't think we would be allowed to leave the SPFL as we are their cash cow. Only if a seriously large number of English clubs go to the wall & The English league pyramid needs to be re-jigged and we are invited, then that is a (very) slight possibility. What I personally believe is that European travel may be partially restricted until there is some sort of control over this horrible virus & that non essential travel abroad maybe limited and that could include football matches. Contrary to UEFA's belief, people have a lot more going on in their lives than caring about whether their team should get a "partial" title & entry into a money making exercise to re-coup any TV money UEFA have lost. Basically we can think about it, but it ain't happening any time soon!

Let's not tell Cardiff City, Newport County, Swansea City, Berwick Rangers or Derry City that.

This was covered at the time, the Berwick and Welsh clubs are historic issues.

I’m not arguing with you on principle mate just pointing out there was no open route South in 2012.

Potentially if lockdown turns out to be long term as in no more football in 2020 or at least till late October at the earliest then a lot of small local clubs in Scotland and in league 1 and 2 in England won't survive.

If we lost say around 30+ clubs on both sides of the border I would imagine the EFL and SPFL might look at some kind of merger. I know Uefa have never been keen on the idea of cross border leagues but the whole world will change after this virus is contained and football won't be immune to change.

The Scottish Challenge Cup this season has teams from every part of the UK and ROI taking part in it as well without Uefa saying anything on it.

Times are changing and so will football, it's now a case of when not if cross border/European leagues start.

If there’s to be no football until the end of the year I’d be more concerned about how our own Club would survive mate. Never mind any of the rest. That would present a huge problem for us. The current 3 month break is concerning enough, 6 months or more would decimate football and we would not be exempt from the carnage.

Its not just the football authorities its the propaganda we read ever day that reports it. If people cant see that in overdrive now they never will. Anytime you read DIRECT QUOTES from the media it does not represent what was actually said.

Example today.

if reading about Aberdeen chairman you would think he wants to give celtic the title. But he never says this. His quote says to "call the league". That does not mean gift a title to non winners. It could mean call it a day, null and void for example.

A GB league, or North Atlantic would be good.
I think it’s just for the regular away trips Holland, Norway, Sweden etc quite expensive, unless they done a hotel ticket flight package on mass to give the economy a big kick.
It won’t happen - unfortunately we are stuck in the footballing backwater swimming in bad blood.

Its not just the football authorities its the propaganda we read ever day that reports it. If people cant see that in overdrive now they never will. Anytime you read DIRECT QUOTES from the media it does not represent what was actually said.

Example today.

if reading about Aberdeen chairman you would think he wants to give celtic the title. But he never says this. His quote says to "call the league". That does not mean gift a title to non winners. It could mean call it a day, null and void for example.

I ask everyone to actually read the quotes from players / managers / chairman in question rather than what the media are pushing for. A big difference in saying they should be given a title and if they are given the title as in yesterdays news for another example.

Its propaganda to suit their narrative.

No.

No other league wants either Rangers or Celtic and this constant belittling of Scottish football is a major reason why other clubs hate us.

No.

No other league wants either Rangers or Celtic and this constant belittling of Scottish football is a major reason why other clubs hate us.

they hate us because we are seen as unionists / English / protestant/orange as so on.

One thing is sure, the World will be a very different place once we have put this crisis behind us.
Don't rule out anything.
It may be that professional football, indeed any professional sport, is a luxury we can no longer afford.
The days of the millionaire sportsperson may well be gone.

they hate us because we are seen as unionists / English / protestant/orange as so on.

There wasnt anything like this level of resentment in the past. It started when Rangers and Celtic were pursing the original Atlantic League and it has escalated. If Scottish football hates Rangers then it's in no small part to the hatred that Rangers and the Rangers support have for Scottish football.

This simply wasnt an issue as recently as the mid 90s. Its been growing for the past 20-25 years, but there is no question that it has been a 2-way street.

Perfect time for the EPL to restructure their league and allow us and the manks to join english football , a sweetner for the likes of SKY ect , english teams are losing money hand over fist , give the TV companies what they want and they might just back down a bit over TV money

Atlantic league would finish most of the clubs in it thats a dreadful idea but i do think there is an outside chance of a move to league 1 or something like that in England. Dont ask me to explain why i dont know all the rules or laws but then i doubt anyone is sure about whats next for football, sport, travel, businesses.... only thing we can sure of is scottish football when it returns will still be bent.

If we are too scared to call out the refs on all their cheating then a move down south would be a nice solution. Id have no problem with the match officials being English even if they are hopeless at the lower levels we would start getting decisions. Up here the officials are not poor they are motivated to corrupt and make sure the tims are successful. This could continue for quite a while.

Big Boris will get behind the idea of Rangers joining English football, but not the filth:).

Latest posts

Back