Is Wright only an impact sub?

I wouldn't put it down to one player alone but our general level of performance when Wright has been on the park this year is really poor, clearly it isn't him exclusive but running around isn't enough, there needs to be a purpose to it and smart decisions and making that right choice with the ball.

Wright, he needs a bit of work before he is there, his choices and use with the ball is incredibly poor at times. It is impossible to have watched us the last couple of games and not appreciate just how good Kent is.

For me, he looked like a wee boy in last night’s first half. Being subbed at half-time will hit home to him. I’m not writing him off completely yet, but if every passing performance is like last night’s it will render him having no chance of making the grade at Ibrox.

I had high hopes for him but I think he will probably be an important squad player, not a starter. Would like to be proved wrong.

Credit to the manager for subbing him when he did, as it changed the game in my opinion.
It also tells Scott that medocrity will not cut it at Rangers.

He blows hot and cold like many, but has been off the pace fora along time now.
Missed two glaring opportunities in the last two games due to bad first touch.

It's now up to him to put his head down and show the manager he still has a big ...future here.
But there is stiff competition.For sure.
Those chances will be haunting him. On both occasions he had the chance to strike first time similar to Defoe against Livingstone.
Each time he failed to control the ball and the chance was lost!

He has certainly looked more effective as a sub so far. I feel he will develop and improve over the next 18 months, much like Kent as mentioned above.
You can’t improve your speed massively, but you can improve your technic and accuracy, Scotty has the pace, we just need to coach him now. He is definitely an upgrade to Hastie/Barker etc.

He could have been put through 3 times last night, once his touch was so bad he never even got a toe to it and the other he was caught flat footed or else he didn't realise he was the man who was about to be put through

I think he’s feeling the pressure of playing infront of fans you can see he looks a bit anxious at times…. Loads of talent but he’s definitely off form

He's young and is still learning how to play the system

He continually makes runs in behind but we don't play that direct style unless it's Goldson on the ball who seems to have a license to ping one in behind a few times a game

He was making those runs when Balogun or Bassey had it and they were never going to play that pass / aren't capable of playing that pass

Yeah, I think so.

That's not a criticism of the boy as he's a decent, useful player to have in the squad.

But squad is the operative word here.

And as a squad option, he'll offer us substantially more than previous squad options like Barker, Hastie, Jones, Stewart, Grezda, Halliday etc ever did for us under Gerrard.

There's no shame in him being a squad player. If we're competing on all fronts then everyone is needed to play their part - happy to have him do his bit.

But aye, an impact player - not an automatic starter.
Like this one.
He’s still learning about being a Rangers player as well.
That part was easy enough last season but it’s when things aren’t running quite as smoothly, that he, and others, find out how difficult playing for Rangers can be.

Back