Is Wright only an impact sub?

I think with our coaching, He will definitely improve, He’s got ability, Like most Wingers he couldn’t tackle a fish Supper, hence all the Fouls & Free kicks,

Too soon to judge once and for all, but at this stage yes, impact sub. He's not made a great case that he should be starting each game, and he's had a few chances now while Kent has been struggling. Wright's lack of end product this season is a pity, because there have been games where he's been really lively, and certainly games where he's had a similar effect as Hagi did tonight in lifting our performance coming on as a sub.

I watched him closely tonight after he couldnt control the ball a couple of times.

His off the ball movement was atrocious. He was running along the line of the Livi defence going one way then coming back, he was always running towards a defender and not looking to make space or drag a defender wide.

His first touch isn‘t good enough and he blew his chance over these 2 games. I thought he would develop into a good player but he looks to have gone backwards.

Looked like an Aberdeen player tonight. Sub all season !ong. I think he thinks he has made it.
I think that's pretty unfair!
He seems to me like a lad that's relishing the chance to improve his game and learn from "the best", he certainly doesn't come across as a Billy Big Baws!
FWIW, I think he has the attitude and indeed talent to become a decent player for us.

One things for sure, he must start doing better than he has this week. Both games this week he’s been very poor

I think that's pretty unfair!
He seems to me like a lad that's relishing the chance to improve his game and learn from "the best", he certainly doesn't come across as a Billy Big Baws!
FWIW, I think he has the attitude and indeed talent to become a decent player for us.
I hope you are right and it is just a blip but you don't get many chances to shine with Rangers and you have to take them when offered up. There were quite a few that could have been subbed at half time but he was the only one. Nobody says he is Billy big baws but he has been poor game after game recently.

I hope you are right and it is just a blip but you don't get many chances to shine with Rangers and you have to take them when offered up. There were quite a few that could have been subbed at half time but he was the only one. Nobody says he is Billy big baws but he has been poor game after game recently.
It was your comment "I think he thinks he has made it" that I was replying to!

Credit to the manager for subbing him when he did, as it changed the game in my opinion.
It also tells Scott that medocrity will not cut it at Rangers.

He blows hot and cold like many, but has been off the pace fora along time now.
Missed two glaring opportunities in the last two games due to bad first touch.

It's now up to him to put his head down and show the manager he still has a big ...future here.
But there is stiff competition.For sure.

Few players struggled in the first half. Hard to settle into a team when only getting bit games. lundstram probably our best player over the 90 minutes has struggled .

Flatters to deceive. Decision making, final ball and finishing are all sadly lacking for me. Have been since day one. With every Rangers player, I like to give them a chance. To grow and be coached into the role. Just not seeing it with Wright.

Wright has had a glorious chance to become a first pick and fucked it up on both occasions.

He has been welcomed with open arms but consistently failed to produce when expected. Hagi done more in 2 minutes tonight than Wright has done in 2 games!!

Unfortunately he is a decent standard of Aberdeen player but nowhere near the standard of a Rangers player. I fully expect him to be replaced in January....cover permitting!
No chance. He’s going to be given a season maybe even two to progress or not.

He’s not at the level of Kent or Hagi but is capable of lifting the team, maybe his role will be limited to that

Young enough to hopefully improve more with our coaching staff, but he needs something to happen for him soon.

Last couple of matches with the ball over the top he’s had great chances to score & fluffed then both!

When he starts a game he's been average at best. He's better coming on as a sub when the defenders are more tired has pace but lacks taking his chances but early day's yet with him.

If youre not good enough to start for Rangers, youre not good enough to be in the squad I think.

The feeling grows that hed be a top player for anyone else in the SPFL but he just lacks it to be at Rangers. No fault on effort made or attitude, he also seems like a fine lad. Just not quite there.

I also think were he a signing from outside hed already be under huge pressure, fans want him to do well and hes being given a lot of slack. The reality is though the team's overall poor performance level is somewhat shadowing his own "tries hard but success is limited" appearances.

He’s at the level kent was at when he first came in. In a title winning team, kent would have been back up when he came in. That’s where wrights best abilities are shown imo. Give him time and hopefully he progresses just like kent did.

This. He was poor last night however he’s a talented player and he’ll hopefully develop (we have a few like that!). It’s no easy thing, this playing for Rangers lark!

He was poor last night
Decision making
Passing
Finishing

hopefully just a bad night because he won’t be playing if he doesn’t improve, it’s not Aberdeen he’s at now.

He didn't play well last night but he's not a top of a diamond midfielder or number 10 type player that Gerrard was expecting him to do last night. Thought he was good in the first half on Sunday but he does lack a final ball but that will come in time. Certainly doesn't deserve to be written off completely.

He can still improve, but yeah he looks more of a reserve standard at the moment rather than a starter for us.
Last night was a big opportunity for him to make his case for a place in the team, but he never offered much at all.

So, just to clarify FF's latest position:

It turns out the previously amazing Scott Wright is actually shite, but the previously shite John Lundstram is actually amazing.

I think he needs to get back to basics. The hard work side of things that he brought to the team always goes down well with the support.

But he's getting caught up in the wrong side of the game now, silly fouls, chatting to the ref. He's got good potential but needs to get the head down now

He’s at the level kent was at when he first came in. In a title winning team, kent would have been back up when he came in. That’s where wrights best abilities are shown imo. Give him time and hopefully he progresses just like kent did.
No he isn't. Kent was ripping Celtic apart half way through his first season, and a much better Celtic team than what they are just now.

He also had a very good debut against Osijek as well so he hit the ground running with us.

Wright has made very little impact in the 9 months he has been here.

Said this a about a month ago, he needs to actually do something. As in a game that matters, score or make a good assist, make his presence felt, make us stand up and take notice.
I've changed my mind. He's shite and along with Simpson don't want to see him near the first team again.
Gerrard or whoever sanctioned this needs to admit they got it wrong.

Question marks over his decision making and end product. No where near consistent enough. We saw that again last

I’d have him in the same bracket as a Stewart or Barker. Stewart would probably have contributed more had he been given similar opportunities.

To say Wright is currently at the same level Kent was when he first joined is rubbish, IMO.

I'm not a fan of Wright, but I hope he improves, but I doubt he can raise his game to the level of Rangers at the top level. As I say, it would be great if he could do though.

Kent would have been back up if we had Laudrup in our team. He was miles above were Wright is just now when he came in.
Kent when he first came in had no real end product, that’s what I’m getting at with Wright if he improves that like kent did then he could be a great player for us

I

It's not the only reason mate, far from it actually, but yeah he does most definitely have a turn of pace.

Personally I think he will prove you wrong.

But who knows..
He's not the only one who hasn't produced the last few games.
How many chances did Roofe miss last night, what has Morelos done bar score a gift last night?
I think he will be a good squad player. Maybe trying too hard at times.

No he isn't. Kent was ripping Celtic apart half way through his first season, and a much better Celtic team than what they are just now.

He also had a very good debut against Osijek as well so he hit the ground running with us.

Wright has made very little impact in the 9 months he has been here.
Yeah but kent wasn’t consistent at all, it took him a long time to be consistent at us. It was only really last season he done that. He may have flashed in the odd game but wasn’t doing it on a consistent basis, one of the reasons we weren’t challenging at that point.

He is essentially a very good Kent understudy who was brought in for next to nothing. Don't think we can be too harsh. I do think it's notable that we improved when he came off last night, but I think that says more about Hagi (and Bacuna) than Wright. Both of these guys passing ability have the potential to make players like Wright who run into space look like world beaters.

Kent is the starter, but Wright is the most similar player in style we have when he is out. I worry that with a Kent Morelos Roofe front 3 though all of the creation of chances falls on Kent and the midfield who are often found lacking, hance a tendency to pass out wide, cross it in from the full backs and play into the hands of the low block defences we face. Hopefully Hagi and Bacuna will change this, but much as Hagi made Roofe look better last night, he would similarly make Wright or Kent look better if he's on the same park as them.

Seen enough of Wright to see there's talent in there but he's still trying to find his feet.

Don't think last nights position suited him very much but he did create 2 chances with through balls.

Reckon he's still better coming from a wider position rather than one of our inside 10s.

Wright has scored 16 goals and had 17 assists in his career so far.

Folk got a bit carried away from a promising start where he showed enthusiasm and energy and some nice bits of interplay (that normally fell away at the final decision). You had some people arguing he was better suited to our team than Roofe and Hagi at the start of the season which is a bit ridiculous with what they contribute.

There's hope for him to be a contributor in the squad, to be a regular starter he'll have to be more decisive in the final third. Something he's never been up to this point in his career.

Needs to be a bit more clever.

I think Gary McAllister’s comments on Lundstram could also be applied to Wright – trying a bit too hard and is possibly running/charging about too much trying to force it.

He has quality as we’ve seen, but he’s been a bit erratic in the last few showings.

Yeah but kent wasn’t consistent at all, it took him a long time to be consistent at us. It was only really last season he done that. He may have flashed in the odd game but wasn’t doing it on a consistent basis, one of the reasons we weren’t challenging at that point.
Wright isn't doing it at all though so to say he is at the level Kent was when he first arrived isn't accurate mate.

He was pretty poor last night but I've seen Kent have even worse games than that. Wright did play a couple of good through balls in the first that led to decent chances. Agree with the overall sentiment through that he will never likely be more than an impact sub / squad player.

Wright has had a full pre-season and looks to fade in games after an hour,
he is not a first pick and should be used as a sub.

he reminds me of candeais in the sense of he is a trier

He is even a level below him in terms of talent
Never really replaced candeais, been searching for his type ever since, although I think given time Wright will improve but hasn’t done enough yet to be in starting 11

I feel a lot of the time he has just been neat and tidy but lacking that final pass. In contrast with Hagi who can be very loose in possession but at the same time deliver that final pass that matters.

However Wright signing for next to nothing is still great business as he will play a decent part this season whether it is in the starting 11 or from off the bench.

Back