Isle of Islay Rangers supporters

Nacho Novo

An appreciation thread more than anything and to share my experience from a recent visit to the Isle of Islay.

Was blown away by the number of fellow Rangers supporters who seen me walking about Islay wearing the new Home Shirt that would come up and say hello and have a brief chat about the club and how well Steven Gerrard and his new Coaching Staff and Players are doing taking the club forward to the next level. Everyone I spoke to was very positive about the future of Rangers and how at previous clubs 'Brenda' was only in a job for so long before he left as he could only take his teams so far despite his large budgets.

Also seen a few other Bears wearing the new Rangers Home Shirts around Bowmore and playing football at Port Mor, a shop in the town having a couple of old kits from the 90's and other merchandise on show in the window and seen the 2013/14 kit on someones washing line.

Couple of questions for any Rangers supporters that currently stay/are from there: Is there an Isle of Islay Rangers Supporters Club?

Is there a main pub on Islay that Rangers supporters all meet at to watch the games?

Overall summary of Islay? Go, Ibrox on an island! :D

Don't think there is a RSC over there. One thing's for sure is it's a Rangers stronghold, just like Campbeltown, Tayinloan, Tarbert and Lochgilphead on the mainland.

Campbeltown RSC have been running buses for years but I dont think they pick up at Kennacraig or Tarbert. Just Tayinloan and Lochgilphead. Might be wrong.

Don't think there is a RSC over there. One thing's for sure is it's a Rangers stronghold, just like Campbeltown, Tayinloan, Tarbert and Lochgilphead on the mainland.

Campbeltown RSC have been running buses for years but I dont think they pick up at Kennacraig or Tarbert. Just Tayinloan and Lochgilphead. Might be wrong.

Mid Argyll and Kintyre are overwhelmingly Rangers it must be about 70% Rangers fans and 30% all other teams!

The bus does pick ups in Tarbert, don’t think it does Kennacraig. I’m one of the Lochgilphead pick ups!

Beautiful island tis Islay, was there in a family holiday in June during thr magnificent weather.

If no one's been I highly recommend it and make sure you fit in all the distilleries

Wish I knew it was a bear stronghold when I went I might have tried a wee sing song in a few!

Beautiful island tis Islay, was there in a family holiday in June during thr magnificent weather.

If no one's been I highly recommend it and make sure you fit in all the distilleries

Wish I knew it was a bear stronghold when I went I might have tried a wee sing song in a few!

I was there for the first time in July 2015, when the weather was also beautiful and there were so many people swimming in the sea, and the sunsets were amazing.
The locals were really friendly and they would proudly tell us that they don’t lock their car doors or house doors.
The distilleries were also amazing.
Until I went over to Islay I didn’t realise that so many people over there had the same surname as myself (not Smith btw :) ) and I can’t wait to go back again.

Go there every year. Staunch. There are a few misguided souls wear the green and grey, but they are just there to provide entertainment with a good ribbing by the Bears.
If you check round the harbour at Port Ellen there's usually a fishing boat with a Rangers flag.
Never watched a game there, but I think the Lochside Hotel in Bowmore has Sky.

An appreciation thread more than anything and to share my experience from a recent visit to the Isle of Islay.

Was blown away by the number of fellow Rangers supporters who seen me walking about Islay wearing the new Home Shirt that would come up and say hello and have a brief chat about the club and how well Steven Gerrard and his new Coaching Staff and Players are doing taking the club forward to the next level. Everyone I spoke to was very positive about the future of Rangers and how at previous clubs 'Brenda' was only in a job for so long before he left as he could only take his teams so far despite his large budgets.

Also seen a few other Bears wearing the new Rangers Home Shirts around Bowmore and playing football at Port Mor, a shop in the town having a couple of old kits from the 90's and other merchandise on show in the window and seen the 2013/14 kit on someones washing line.

Couple of questions for any Rangers supporters that currently stay/are from there: Is there an Isle of Islay Rangers Supporters Club?

Is there a main pub on Islay that Rangers supporters all meet at to watch the games?

Overall summary of Islay? Go, Ibrox on an island! :D
On my to do list, as a malt fan. You're making it sound perfect.

My old boy has a place there as his wife is from Islay. Rangers certainly used to run a holiday training camp not far from Port Charlotte.

I was on holiday just outside of Port Ellen, Islay, the day that Maurice Johnston signed for Rangers. The independent television feed came from Ulster TV at that time, not STV. The reaction was somewhat mixed.

Both sides of my partner's family are from Islay. Love the place, would love to settle there in a few years.

Obviously I am biased but with family from Islay and relatives still living there I can confirm that it is a hotbed of staunchness.

I have a house in Portnahaven and was over a couple of weeks ago when we were away to St. Mirren and there must have been about a dozen locals in the pub watching the game.

Went out with a girl from Islay for a few years (no pics!) who came from good Rangers stock. Went over with her a quite few times and always found the locals to be staunch and sound.

Used to sit beside a lad from Gigha in the W Enc. Not sure if he travelled on the Campbeltown bus. Think he worked for Calmac, probably had a ferry to himself to n from Gigha!

Mid Argyll and Kintyre are overwhelmingly Rangers it must be about 70% Rangers fans and 30% all other teams!

The bus does pick ups in Tarbert, don’t think it does Kennacraig. I’m one of the Lochgilphead pick ups!
I can remember the days when there was only one Celtic supporter in Lochgilphead and Ardrishaig, and whe I worked in the A&B hospital, there was a family of three catholic’s amongst the staff, and that was it.

Is it you that has the flag that I've seen at Ibrox a couple of times?

Afraid not. First thing that comes to mind when talking about Islay for me though.
Got a mate that lives over there and he often sends pics with the flag.

Obviously I am biased but with family from Islay and relatives still living there I can confirm that it is a hotbed of staunchness.

I have a house in Portnahaven and was over a couple of weeks ago when we were away to St. Mirren and there must have been about a dozen locals in the pub watching the game.
Is that the An Tigh Seinnse? Place would have been packed out with a dozen folk in it! Had a good few pints in there in the past, thinking I could talk to the seals :D

Drove into Bowmore on holiday two or three years ago and at the top of the hill heading into the town, sat three elderly gentlemen on a bench, all with a different Gers top on. Made my day

Interesting... There was an older guy, must have been in his late 60's/early 70's with a Rangers cap on sat on the bench outside Kilarrow Parish Church overlooking Bowmore. Most likely one of the three men that you saw and perhaps part of his daily routine in retirement. Any Bears around Bowmore at lunchtime, head up and say hello.

I was in Islay this year,a great place we stayed in The Lochside hotel in Bowmore most of the people we chatted to were Rangers people.
The Isle of Tiree was always 100% Rangers but the odd newcomer may be from the dark side but stay quiet about it.

My family from Islay, spent all my summers there and have wonderful childhood memories. Islay is staunch prespeterian , not even a single chapel on the island.

Didn't know whether or not to mention that or not but yes, it was very evident as there are EIGHT Protestant Churches on the island for 3,228 inhabitants. Any Catholic Chapels? No not one.

Afraid not. First thing that comes to mind when talking about Islay for me though.
Got a mate that lives over there and he often sends pics with the flag.

Tell him to get a Rangers Supporters Club running because that I believe is one part of the country that still doesn't have one despite how staunch the area is. Try and fit everbody on the island into one pub to watch the games haha. Could try creating a Facebook or Twitter page for starters.

Tell him to get a Rangers Supporters Club running because that I believe is one part of the country that still doesn't have one despite how staunch the area is. Try and fit everbody on the island into one pub to watch the games haha. Could try creating a Facebook or Twitter page for starters.

It's a great idea mate. I think they have a lot of problems in the winter months with the ferries either being delayed or cancelled on a regular basis due to weather and then road closures on the A83 at the Rest And Be Thankful due to either heavy snow or torrential rain.

It's a great idea mate. I think they have a lot of problems in the winter months with the ferries either being delayed or cancelled on a regular basis due to weather and then road closures on the A83 at the Rest And Be Thankful due to either heavy snow or torrential rain.

At least if there is an Isle of Islay RSC, fans can head to a Bear friendly owned pub/hotel in Bowmore seeing as its one of the busiest places and also in the centre of the island making it easier for people to get to to watch the games if ferries are cancelled. Would also be a major help for away games.

At least if there is an Isle of Islay RSC, fans can head to a Bear friendly owned pub/hotel in Bowmore seeing as its one of the busiest places and also in the centre of the island making it easier for people to get to to watch the games if ferries are cancelled. Would also be a major help for away games.

Agree 100% with that. Should be set up and registered with the club. Proper Bluenose place is Islay and I'll be over just after New Year. Love the place, people and scenery.

Seems an interesting wee place. Talked to a guy years ago who raved about it. He was a Patrick supporter though :eek:

Looks well out of the way, how would you get there from the Glasgow area. Road , ferries etc?

Quite fancy doing Islay and maybe Lewis next summer.

Seems an interesting wee place. Talked to a guy years ago who raved about it. He was a Patrick supporter though :eek:

Looks well out of the way, how would you get there from the Glasgow area. Road , ferries etc?

Take the A82 then A83 to Kennacraig, which is just South of Tarbert. Ferry from Kennacraig to Islay.

Btw the drive up/ down is stunning if the weather is good, fit in a trip to Campbeltown if you can, that drive is even more scenic. Get it on your to do list mate.

Ferry from Ardrossan to Arran, and then on to Islay.

Spooky this thread popped up as we were just last night planning a trip to Islay. My grandfather came from there originally but moved to Kirkintilloch when he was young. I've always wanted to go there and we're going to go next summer.

I worked there about 50 years ago . Put a dozen Desco Milk Tanks into farms there .......anybody know if they're still there ?

Is it fair enough to say the Scottish Islands are all vast majority Rangers? A place where things change the least as time moves on. Rangers will always be the biggest club in Scotland and so it gets passed down from generation to generation. Not many Celtic fans from the Scottish Mainland would want to move out, far more common to move from an island to the mainland in search of work.

Am up in Mull for a week in March, then Oban following week. The other half (English) wanted Islay.
Am partial to a malt myself...
Any suggestions for an overnight from Mull/Oban? Not the greatest time of year for the boats I know.

Is it fair enough to say the Scottish Islands are all vast majority Rangers? A place where things change the least as time moves on. Rangers will always be the biggest club in Scotland and so it gets passed down from generation to generation. Not many Celtic fans from the Scottish Mainland would want to move out, far more common to move from an island to the mainland in search of work.

I don’t think that’s right mate, I’m sure some islands are 80-90% RC, Uist I’m sure is one.

Back