Isle of Islay Rangers supporters

Things are starting to look far more positive for the island @IslayGer as there's always a challenge to keep the island's numbers up with a lot of younger folk heading to the cities on the mainland for work and university/college courses.

The Machrie Hotel & Golf Links being rebuilt and opened to the public on 10 September and it looks amazing inside, Loganair doing direct flights to and from Islay via Edinburgh as of 31st March that will run until the 26 October every year and plans for three new whisky distilleries to be built on the island taking it to 11 in total. Ardnahoe Distillery opening on 12 April, the new "Farkin Distillery" opening in 2020 and the Port Ellen Distillery re-opening in 2020 as well for the first time since 1983, 36 years! (Also rumours of a further three distilleries at Port Charlotte, Gartbreck and Bridgend. Whether anything comes to fruition I don't know). And finally a new CalMac ferry currently in construction for the Islay-Kennacraig route coming 2021.

A lot of working going on but its all to ensure Islay's position as one of the best islands in Scotland.
It's my gf's (no pics) parent's cousin that has taken over it, the family have a long history on the island on both her parent's sides as far as I know. Will be over in June to see the hotel and stay at their place in Port Ellen.

Islay all my life. On the 29th December we had 20 odd bears in An Tigh Seinnse in Portnahaven which must be one of the smallest pubs in Scotland. Bowmore hotel - luccis, is the hotbed of staunchness during a game but they have 2 resident cellic fans who are allowed access. @sherbrook_loyal give us a message before you head over and I'll sort you a staunch discount and good tasting at Bruichladdich. The warden at Port Mor is a big Tim as was mentioned in the thread but he's my uncle and the rest of the family managed to shake of those shackles at birth. He's not mega ripping off it either. The three old boys in Bowmore, led by Neilly the Duke are the staunchest of staunch. Neilly ran the boys football club for 35 years so passed the the staunchness through a few generations. It's well in the foundations.

Re the history stuff, the McDonalds ruled the west of Scotland as the Lords of the isles from their seat at finlaggan on Islay for years from the 1300s after paying homage to King Robert II and the Scottish Crown. They killed Somerled who ruled the island after gaining independence from Norway years before.

Islay all my life. On the 29th December we had 20 odd bears in An Tigh Seinnse in Portnahaven which must be one of the smallest pubs in Scotland. Bowmore hotel - luccis, is the hotbed of staunchness during a game but they have 2 resident cellic fans who are allowed access. @sherbrook_loyal give us a message before you head over and I'll sort you a staunch discount and good tasting at Bruichladdich. The warden at Port Mor is a big Tim as was mentioned in the thread but he's my uncle and the rest of the family managed to shake of those shackles at birth. He's not mega ripping off it either. The three old boys in Bowmore, led by Neilly the Duke are the staunchest of staunch. Neilly ran the boys football club for 35 years so passed the the staunchness through a few generations. It's well in the foundations.

Re the history stuff, the McDonalds ruled the west of Scotland as the Lords of the isles from their seat at finlaggan on Islay for years from the 1300s after paying homage to King Robert II and the Scottish Crown. They killed Somerled who ruled the island after gaining independence from Norway years before.
An Tigh Seinnse in Portnahaven - great wee pub. Love Portnahaven. Who's running the post office/these days - it's not Alistair anymore is it ?

Got talking to a guy at Port Charlotte in the Lochindaal Hotel who owns an ice cream van over on the island, he seemed to be quite a big Rangers man as well. Also got talking to a big Celtic and Huddersfield supporter called Cambie at the hotel bar, said he also has a house in Oban, seemed a hell of a character but nice big guy nonetheless.

Got talking to a guy at Port Charlotte in the Lochindaal Hotel who owns an ice cream van over on the island, he seemed to be quite a big Rangers man as well. Also got talking to a big Celtic and Huddersfield supporter called Cambie at the hotel bar, said he also has a house in Oban, seemed a hell of a character but nice big guy nonetheless.
Christ almighty, Camby, he’s some man. Big mans been a family friend since I was baby, totally mad and a hardcore Tim but a nice guy. Good friends with Neil Lennon surprisingly and was once lifted for jumping the fence of London Rd police office to have a word with a ref who was a cop there after a Celtic game! Bob will be the ice cream van man, he’s a regular in Luccis on a match day. Give us a shout when you are coming back next time.

Is Jim McEwen, master distiller, a bluenose?

Honestly don't know, seems to keep his life private outwith whisky, but a very respected man on Islay it seems for opening their first new distillery in 14 years and created 30 new jobs for the islanders. £12 million invested to create this new distillery but thats them now got three in the north east of the island, suppose it can only be good competition at the end of the day.

2 orange xl tops and 2 blue xl tops left in stock £20 each

https://www.facebook.com/250348979217220/photos/a.250473822538069/305162833735834/?type=3&theater

57191806_305162840402500_6391098889079881728_o.jpg

Just back from Islay – and I would recommend the island to anyone for a holiday.

It helps if you like whisky, but there's enough to do even if you don't.
The island itself is stunning and the food is absolutely fantastic.
Every meal was excellent – and if you like seafood, you're in for a right treat.

I stayed in Port Charlotte, which is beautiful.
It's a good base in Islay as it's got some great pubs and restaurants.
I can also heartily recommend the 6am swims in the sea as a hangover cure!

Distillery-wise, I visited Laphroaig and Bruichladdich.
Laphroaig is probably my fave Scottish whisky and the tour and setting was incredible.
I really enjoyed the Bruichladdich one, too – particularly the really peaty Octomore ones.

P.S. Every single person I spoke to from Islay seemed to be one of us, so any Rangers fan will be made more than welcome on the island.

Special thanks to @Gorm Ile :))

Damn, just noticed this, @LaRabbie , as I was rereading the thread today.

Between the four of us, we spent a small fortune in Bruichladdich, too.

I picked up a Classic Laddie and an Octomore 7.4 for myself :))

Was in Bruichladdich on the tour just before KO 2 weeks ago. Loved it!!! Islay was fantastic will definitely be back, the island was literally Blue all over!!

I'm a travelling over next Saturday and staying just 5 mins walk from Port Charlotte. I'm a volunteer with a group of adults that require support. Amongst the group I think I'm the only football fan never mind bluenose.
Can't wait to visit Islay to sample the staunchness.

From Lochgilphead down that south western area is staunch. Not many Bheggars about the towns and villages (Tarbert & Campbeltown) with the very few there are having a rightful inferiority complex. The Campbeltown mob can't even fill a minibus never mind a 60 seater but that also depends on when giro day isor the courts open.

Many moons ago when the Campbeltown bus drove through Tayinloan one lad flew a union jack from the sunroof as they passed a well know locals unwashed house!

Staunch area of Scotland.

Back