Isle of Islay Rangers supporters

Never actually been, but I was just looking about on the Calmac site before posting, I fancy doing their island hopping thing at some point, in summer obviously.:cool:

You can get the Ardrossan Ferry to Campbeltown then drive to Kennacraig only between April to September.

Is that the An Tigh Seinnse? Place would have been packed out with a dozen folk in it! Had a good few pints in there in the past, thinking I could talk to the seals :D
Yes it is. Without giving too much away my house isn't far from it.
Great wee pub and the food is excellent.

I don’t think that’s right mate, I’m sure some islands are 80-90% RC, Uist I’m sure is one.
Don't mix up North and South Uist. I was there a few years ago. I was in a gift shop in Lochmaddy and there was a bookcase full of Rangers books. As soon as you hit South Uist there is a holy statue up on the hill.

I think the Arran ferry only takes you from Lochranza to Claonaig. You’d still need to get to Kennacraig for the Islay ferry.

I had a place on Arran for over 10 years. As you say, good luck with that route on the winter. LOL

Yep correct. In the Summer it's ok, direct from Ardrossan- Arran- Campbeltown.

From Skipness to Kennacraig is a nightmare road. Best avoided.

Don't mix up North and South Uist. I was there a few years ago. I was in a gift shop in Lochmaddy and there was a bookcase full of Rangers books. As soon as you hit South Uist there is a holy statue up on the hill.
I worked on Benbecula, from 1988 until 1991.
During my time there, I joined the newly formed Uist John Greig Rangers supporters club.
I still have the club sweater in my wardrobe, with the union flag and saltire embroidered badge.
There were many staunch bluenoses on North Uist.

Thats actually quite mad. How did it ever come to pass that an island way up in the north west of Scotland had a Protestant/Catholic split? Only Glasgow I could think of for obvious reasons has a 50/50 split.

Thats actually quite mad. How did it ever come to pass that an island way up in the north west of Scotland had a Protestant/Catholic split? Only Glasgow I could think of for obvious reasons has a 50/50 split.

I believe the Outer Hebrides was the last place the Reformation reached and it never quite reached the southern islands.
Only ever been in South Uist for a couple of hours, so I don't know if they act like plastic paddies. They are native RCs, not immigrants, like Glasgow.

I believe the Outer Hebrides was the last place the Reformation reached and it never quite reached the southern islands.
Only ever been in South Uist for a couple of hours, so I don't know if they act like plastic paddies. They are native RCs, not immigrants, like Glasgow.
I was winding up a female who worked with me one day and said to her "You Irish Tims are all the same". She went apeshit and was mega offended and told me that she was a Lochiel, an ancient RC Scottish family and said "How dare you class me as being one of that scum". Oops.

Work there quite regular, people are so friendly and mostly Rangers supporters , beautiful island with great historical sights. Including a massive cemetery where very many American sailors perished.

Work there quite regular, people are so friendly and mostly Rangers supporters , beautiful island with great historical sights. Including a massive cemetery where very many American sailors perished.
All but 2 (I think) were reinterred in the US. I know the guys who help look after the Kilchoman Cemetery (Bluenoses). There was good exhibition in the Museum of Islay Life this year about WW1, 2 programmes on BBC (Scotland and Alba, Alba one better) about the Tuscania and Otranto sinkings. Also a book about them - horrific.
They also produced a nice commemorative pin badge, the profile of the island in red with a black dot to make it look like a poppy.

The Port Mòr campsite warden is a tim. Only one I seen all week, fantastic, what a change from Glasgow at the present time!

All but 2 (I think) were reinterred in the US. I know the guys who help look after the Kilchoman Cemetery (Bluenoses). There was good exhibition in the Museum of Islay Life this year about WW1, 2 programmes on BBC (Scotland and Alba, Alba one better) about the Tuscania and Otranto sinkings. Also a book about them - horrific.
They also produced a nice commemorative pin badge, the profile of the island in red with a black dot to make it look like a poppy.
Mfgorm did not know that think it was two American ships who crashed never got to cemetery always chasing ferry , do you come from Islay.would love the badge.

Mfgorm did not know that think it was two American ships who crashed never got to cemetery always chasing ferry , do you come from Islay.would love the badge.
Not from Islay, but wife's aunt was an Ileach. If you contacted the Museum of Islay Life in Port Charlotte they should be able to help, or the Ileach newspaper.
If you follow the link below, you will find a picture of the Oa monument lit up for the Armistice commemoration.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-46220156

Is it fair enough to say the Scottish Islands are all vast majority Rangers? A place where things change the least as time moves on. Rangers will always be the biggest club in Scotland and so it gets passed down from generation to generation. Not many Celtic fans from the Scottish Mainland would want to move out, far more common to move from an island to the mainland in search of work.

Barra is certainly to be avoided mate, along with a couple of others , but most of them are predominantly Presbyterian.

Bowmore. A vibrant metropolis compared to better end of the island in Portnahaven.

Yes, all Islay life revolves round the co-op in Bowmore. Although I knew someone who said she could get everything she needed in Bridgend.

Stayed a few days on Islay at the Bowmore hotel last week while working away. Watched the Spartak game next door at Lucci' s and a few bears were in. Few tims watching the game right after mind.

Drove into Bowmore on holiday two or three years ago and at the top of the hill heading into the town, sat three elderly gentlemen on a bench, all with a different Gers top on. Made my day
My father came from Islay been over loads of times great place. I was over last year drove into Bowmore and the guys on the bench gave me a big wave my car is Rangers blue. They were wearing their Rangers tops.

My father came from Islay been over loads of times great place. I was over last year drove into Bowmore and the guys on the bench gave me a big wave my car is Rangers blue. They were wearing their Rangers tops.

Drove into Bowmore on holiday two or three years ago and at the top of the hill heading into the town, sat three elderly gentlemen on a bench, all with a different Gers top on. Made my day

When you go to look for photos of Kilarrow Parish Church and the three staunch bears are all sat together on their bench overlooking Bowmore.
x8n-3138533.jpg

Going by the Outlaw King they were a mainstay in everything "Scottish".

Bawz.

Islay, kintyre the Isles etc were not a part of Scotchland until a decade or two afore The Bruce, and actively wanted an end to the lineage with a proper Union with England.

* ftr, Jura is a far nicer place, but you gotta go through the shithole to get there.....

Depends if you are talking about sea fishing or freshwater.

Think the estates have permits for loch and river fishing but not sure about the cost and where would be better.

Most of the coastline would be good for sea fishing but check with the locals and they will keep you right. In Portnahaven there is good fishing off the rocks in front of the pub and along a bit and also on the flat rock between there and Port Wemyss. With the amount of seals there must be a lot of fish about.

Depends if you are talking about sea fishing or freshwater.

Think the estates have permits for loch and river fishing but not sure about the cost and where would be better.

Most of the coastline would be good for sea fishing but check with the locals and they will keep you right. In Portnahaven there is good fishing off the rocks in front of the pub and along a bit and also on the flat rock between there and Port Wemyss. With the amount of seals there must be a lot of fish about.

Both Sea and Freshwater pal, just looking for a general idea as to which sides of the island/places on the island are the best for a catch. The Islay Estates website says Loch Gorm, Loch Skerrols and Loch Finlaggan are the best for freshwater fishing. Loch Gruinart might be worth a shout seeing as its sea water but comes quite far inland, bound to be quite a lot of larger fish coming far in.

910px-Islay_topographic_map-en.svg.png

Last edited:
Lewis and Harris Rsc based in Stornaway is the biggest in world with over 700 paying members! last night they had Davie Weir up for a sold out Q & A

Ronnie McKinnon used to be a member of that club I believe.

As far as the Outer Hebrides are concerned, Lewis, Harris and North Uist are predominantly Protestant, Benbecula is about 50/50, South Uist is predominantly papist and if Barra were to slide under the waves we'd all be a lot better off.

Eriskay not in their favour as well?

And just to mention, the Rangers fans who live on the Scottish islands do not get anywhere near enough credit as they should do. Wake up at mental O'Clock in the morning, head to catch a ferry, 5 hour bus journey or longer to Ibrox then back again.

Hats off to the loyal support because there are so many who do this every week.

was staying in the Bowmore cottages for 4 days around 10 years ago, met a local bear on the boat on the way over asked him if i could see the euro game we were playing while i was there he mentioned a pub just across the road from were i was staying. knocked on the the pub door early the morning of the game, guy opens the door and i asked if he was showing the game he said no. went back later before kick off place was jammed and they were showing the game. found out it was a stolen feed lol.

Have family connections to Islay on my mums side. Been countless times and one of my most favourite places in the planet. Portnahaven is my place of residence when there. Utter bliss.

Back