Issues to overcome before 55?

AriseSirWalter

Official Ticketer
Going into this season I felt we had to be able to do the following in order to win the league;
  • Win games with more control instead of being over-reliant on intense pressing.
  • Be able to win against well organised teams using the low block.
  • Consistently putting together runs of 9/10+ wins on the bounce.
Last season we used intense pressing in order to break teams down, which was great to watch when it worked but was tough to keep up week-in, week-out, in order to be more consistent, as well as a bigger squad with more options, I think we need to play with more control. Apart from a 15/20 min spell against hibs, I felt we did that. We didn’t hit the heights of say the Old Firm wins or some European games but felt that we were much more controlled (20 mins aside) than we were in most games last season.

The low block issue, I’d say killie were the best at that last season so our win there is a real signal of intent for me, even though we weren’t at our best. I don’t think killie will be as good as they were last season so maybe our win isn’t as good as I think it is but I’m confident we won’t struggle as much against those teams this season.

The third point is the one that concerns me most, if we can overcome the first two issue then it’ll be much easier for us to go on winning runs but for me it’s the biggest question mark against the team.

I think that we have the squad and ability to do it but will feel much more comfortable once we’ve been on a run of wins that’s in double figures. It’s the scar tissue of last few years but mentality is the biggest unknown for me.

Cel’ic are showing signs of having another shaky start this season, we really need to string together a run of wins and crank up the pressure on them. A league cup win early in the season would be a massive confidence booster.

Going into this season I felt we had to be able to do the following in order to win the league;
  • Win games with more control instead of being over-reliant on intense pressing.
  • Be able to win against well organised teams using the low block.
  • Consistently putting together runs of 9/10+ wins on the bounce.
Last season we used intense pressing in order to break teams down, which was great to watch when it worked but was tough to keep up week-in, week-out, in order to be more consistent, as well as a bigger squad with more options, I think we need to play with more control. Apart from a 15/20 min spell against hibs, I felt we did that. We didn’t hit the heights of say the Old Firm wins or some European games but felt that we were much more controlled (20 mins aside) than we were in most games last season.

The low block issue, I’d say killie were the best at that last season so our win there is a real signal of intent for me, even though we weren’t at our best. I don’t think killie will be as good as they were last season so maybe our win isn’t as good as I think it is but I’m confident we won’t struggle as much against those teams this season.

The third point is the one that concerns me most, if we can overcome the first two issue then it’ll be much easier for us to go on winning runs but for me it’s the biggest question mark against the team.

I think that we have the squad and ability to do it but will feel much more comfortable once we’ve been on a run of wins that’s in double figures. It’s the scar tissue of last few years but mentality is the biggest unknown for me.

Cel’ic are showing signs of having another shaky start this season, we really need to string together a run of wins and crank up the pressure on them. A league cup win early in the season would be a massive confidence booster.

I entirely agree with your point about intense pressing, we're beautiful to watch at times when we're flying but I'm skeptical about maintaining that over a full season.

I entirely agree with your point about intense pressing, we're beautiful to watch at times when we're flying but I'm skeptical about maintaining that over a full season.

Before we conceded the goal against hibs I thought we were brilliant, we won the ball back quickly without looking like expending too much energy.

I don’t know if it’s our positioning that’s better, or if we keep the ball better meaning when the opposition get it they’re just desperate to lump it down field and we start again quickly.

Either way it gives me hope that we can keep it up over the season especially with bigger squad.

They have lost their most committed defender in years making them instantly weaker at the back.

Both his replacement and the big money c h look very shaky albeit it’s very early doors.

We on the other hand have significantly strengthened in that department. We also have a far superior goalkeeper which must be a huge concern for them also.

They still carry a real goal threat middle to front and to argue different is just stupid BUT AS THINGS STAND I’d say we are entitled to be very optimistic this season.

They have hearts next don’t they? So they’ve got two hard games as well. Hopefully they drop some points early doors and we go on a run and put some pressure on

I think both sides will be under pressure this season, I didn’t think we would be but when we finally do put together a title challenge there will be pressure not to blow it especially since few in the squad have won things.

But the pressure on them will be immense, if it looks like we’re going to win they will turn on lennon and the board and before that I can see lennon turning on his players if they’re not winning.

They have lost their most committed defender in years making them instantly weaker at the back.

Both his replacement and the big money c h look very shaky albeit it’s very early doors.

We on the other hand have significantly strengthened in that department. We also have a far superior goalkeeper which must be a huge concern for them also.

They still carry a real goal threat middle to front and to argue different is just stupid BUT AS THINGS STAND I’d say we are entitled to be very optimistic this season.

I agree, I think (from the little I’ve seen) that they are more fluid and dangerous in attack than us and I do think lennon’s team will score a lot of goals in some games. As they’ll get forward quicker than Rodgers team did towards the end but to do that they’ll sacrifice the control they had under Rodgers making them easier to beat if teams can withstand their attack.

Back