It’s the midfield it’s the midfield it’s the midfield

Kent and Arfield had chances to bury the game. Absolute sitters especially Arfield.

I don't see how the Hibs midfield impacted the game over ours. This is just preconceived grievances that had nothing to do with the game.

I agree with OP. It’s the midfield it’s the midfield it’s the midfield. But It’s also the forwards it’s the forwards it’s the forwards. In addition l it’s the management it’s the management it’s the management. Obviously It’s the Refs it’s the Refs It’s the Refs. Finally It’s the poets it’s the poets it’s the poets.

I’d imagine we were lining up his replacement from January. Only problem is mate he’s not actually left. I don’t think we are surprised he’s wanting to move, do you want to just sell him for less than we value him at?
No, I'm saying we haven't adequately replaced him.

Kent and Arfield had chances to bury the game. Absolute sitters especially Arfield.

I don't see how the Hibs midfield impacted the game over ours. This is just preconceived grievances that had nothing to do with the game.

Arfield and Morelos misses in particular were absolutely criminal.

That header first half from Morelos was a shambles.

A hard, winning, experienced midfielder. Leader, captain
We've been screaming for it for ages.
Incredible this wasn't dealt with.
It is now urgent.

The first attempt from Arfield is a difficult take but the rebound is just a lazy swing.

He had 1 in the first half as well, a cut back from Tav he just smashed into McGinn when he had Kent next to him who's got a pass into the net.

I still maintain people might be disappointed in type of midfielder we seek. There's no evidence he sees midfield as anything other than a conduit to get call to his front three.

Personally don't think it was the midfield that cost us today. It's not as if we got overran there or outfought. All of Hibs joy came down the flanks.

Poor defending and poor finishing cost us - but I also don't think we created ENOUGH chances today, outwith the couple of sitters we missed.

We missed the clever non-stop movement of Roofe today and we'll always miss the creativity and drive of Aribo.

It's also been mentioned on other threads about our lack of shooting from outside the box. One decent effort from Hagi wasn't enough and even on that one occasion, not one of our players tried to follow that shot up for a potential spillage.

In my opinion we need to get another quality addition on board to compete for a place in the 3 in behind the striker.

I think we lack in the middle tbh. The number of times Kamara was the spare man outside the box in space and in range of a shot was frightening, he of course opted for a pass to someone who already had a man on him.

For the third summer in a row we’ve spent no real money in midfield. It’s absolutely amazing considering Gerrard was a world class midfielder himself yet can’t seem to see how inconsistent and average our midfield is.

All the big money since Gerrard has been here as went up front or defence.

Jack is bang average. Inconsistent, not good enough on the ball (other than in flashes) and doesn’t dominate games or dictate the play.

Kamara isn’t good enough. Neat and tidy but can’t handle games that are a battle. Also inconsistent.

Davis is well past it. Flashes of the player he was but often drifts out of games. Also isn’t suited to a battle and, like all the others, is inconsistent.

Could not agree more with that summary.

Neat and tidy is correct. Three central midfield players who won’t run with the ball or very rarely ever even attempt a shot at goal isn’t good enough.

I still maintain people might be disappointed in type of midfielder we seek. There's no evidence he sees midfield as anything other than a conduit to get call to his front three.

It could cost him his job come next May if he doesn't address it.

Beating the mentally challengeds and going head to head with Europe's top teams is all good but we are persistently dropping points at crucial moments in the league whilst having the same issues as the past number of seasons.

You are correct.

I totally agree we need a midfielder but there's an obsession about it that's been brewing where folks think their will should actually be imposed on the team and the players we're signing.

We are clearly struggling to add the level of quality we need in midfield. In games like that you want someone that can get the ball and drive us forward so that we can give Kent and other attacking players the ball in more dangerous positions.

You can also see how much work Jack does protecting the back 4 and full backs, there were gaps everywhere today

It’s the midfield.

When your centre halves are the quickest most direct passers of the ball, you have an issue

also when the least played midfielder - Arfield - is the one whose runs link best with intelligent players like Hagi, you have another issue

Could I also add a heading, Lack of Pace, Lack of Pace, Lack of Pace!

Kent has to bury his chance second half and Helander couldn't hit the target from 6 yards either.

Remember a few weeks ago when people with concerns over our finishing and lack of ruthlessness were labelled panty wetters. Well it's already cost us 4 points.

We are toothless. Some of our finishing is pathetic.

Same goes for the lack of urgency and one paced nonsense we see from our midfielders. It's so slow and boring. I lost count the amount of times both CM's gave away possession. Kamara can't deliver an attacking pass most of the time and Davis takes too many touches or negative passes 25 yards in from goal. Both are poor in possession in and around their area and the same goes for the team in general who try to walk in the perfect goal.

It's not the midfield.

We're still lacking cutting edge in the forward areas, that combined with defensive blunders and horrendous officiating cost us the game today.

2 years to sign the type of midfielders we need. Very difficult clearly
The midfielders we need don't grow on trees.

I'm genuinely interested in who some folk think we should be signing that will give us exactly what we need? If it's that easy, perhaps you should be writing to the club to recommend a signing.

I'll repeat, the manager has said he wants at least 1 midfielder. It won't be for the lack of trying to get the right player in the door.

I agree with OP. It’s the midfield it’s the midfield it’s the midfield. But It’s also the forwards it’s the forwards it’s the forwards. In addition l it’s the management it’s the management it’s the management. Obviously It’s the Refs it’s the Refs It’s the Refs. Finally It’s the poets it’s the poets it’s the poets.
Sorry bud, I forget about them’n all

Could I also add a heading, Lack of Pace, Lack of Pace, Lack of Pace!
Yes this is my point though, it all comes from the midfield. we have pace (well we have Kent) but they never get a ball they can run on to. This “everyone defends deep, no fair” line is pish - aggression, positivity and precision would deal with that. It has to start at the halfway line, it can’t simply self generate on the box after thirty touches and taps

Could've sworn their goals today came from errors by Barisic, Goldson and the linesman, we dominated most of the game, and their keeper pulled off a few great saves...

Not sure what part of that was down to the midfield, but carry on.
I agree we scored 2 today and we passed up enough clear chances to win another 2 games.
The defence lost 2 dreadful goals one of which was offside.
How can the defeat be blamed on the midfield?.

100% , we brought it two strikers and if morelos leaves I wouldn’t trust either to score 20+ a season.

Agreed. Young Nisbet who we had a look at when he was at Dunfermline, looked much better today for Hibs, than anything I've seen thus far, from Roof and It ten.

We badly needed a midfielder with 'legs' and shooting ability about 7 months ago. The tyoe of player that is crucial in games like yesterday

That we haven't addressed that with nearly a quarter of the new league season over is pretty disgraceful if you ask me

I agree we scored 2 today and we passed up enough clear chances to win another 2 games.
The defence lost 2 dreadful goals one of which was offside.
How can the defeat be blamed on the midfield?.

I’m not singling out players or defensive mistakes or chances missed - I’m saying the quality in our team and the years now these coaches have had to understand how Scottish teams play, it’s not acceptable to continually shrink in games like that. Defensive mistakes (we have two defenders in particular who switch off) and missed chances (we don’t create enough) shouldn’t matter if we were capable of putting sustained pressure on teams. That game happens far too often to put it down to particular incidents

it stems from the midfield and the type of players we have there.

No, it isn’t. It’s the attacking 3 of Kent, Hagi and Arfield who do absolutely nothing to link up with the CM and leave a massive space in the middle of the park where the link up play should be happening.

The CMs are constantly looking for the forward pass but when the 3 of them are too far up the pitch and not willing to work for it, there’s going to be issues. Kent gets pass marks for effort yesterday but can’t do it all himself.

£10m spent this summer. You’d think our biggest weakness would have been addressed.

But no, we still haven’t improved the starting 11. Scary use of funds.
Certainly not what i was expecting / hoping for i was expecting 3 at least straight in team hit the ground running

Although we need midfield reinforcements in the door they never cost us points yesterday, a combination of brain fart defending, pish poor biased officiating and rank rotten finishing seen to that.

No, it isn’t. It’s the attacking 3 of Kent, Hagi and Arfield who do absolutely nothing to link up with the CM and leave a massive space in the middle of the park where the link up play should be happening.

The CMs are constantly looking for the forward pass but when the 3 of them are too far up the pitch and not willing to work for it, there’s going to be issues. Kent gets pass marks for effort yesterday but can’t do it all himself.
Our CBs were hitting quick early balls, the midfielders were taking the ball, one touch, turn, one touch, turn again, slow daisy cutter over to the other flank (often via the other midfielder).
If you can’t see this then I don’t know what to tell you

I can recall us saying the weakness last season was the midfield. The fact that it's still not been addressed and we're into next season is worrying.

All we need is someone who isn't scared to take a bloody shot from outside the box.
We get to the last third and I can go make a cuppa safe in the knowledge that no one will make the space to have a pop at goal

It’s the midfield.

When your centre halves are the quickest most direct passers of the ball, you have an issue

also when the least played midfielder - Arfield - is the one whose runs link best with intelligent players like Hagi, you have another issue
Not today. Defensive mistake cost the second goal and yes it was offside.Morelos missed a sitter first half and overall we were not sharp enough inside their 18 yard box. The midfield dominated the game today.

Ideal world we get two in.

One able to score from range and get around the park.

Two, an in your face, drag us out a hole when chips are down midfielder who won’t back down when we are up against it. Some will scoff at that, but the manager has been here over 2 years now and failed to grasp the basics of the league here. Win the individual battles, win the game.

We did not lose the game,Arfield did not miss his chances,they were well saved by the goalkeeper,the goals lost were down to absolutely poor defending,the referee copped out on issuing what should have been two red cards and the linesman missed a glaring off-side.
Let's hope this was a hiccup and go forward from here.
The one thing we need a a hard, strong tackler in a holding position whose job is to win the ball and move it with simple passes.

We did not lose the game,Arfield did not miss his chances,they were well saved by the goalkeeper,the goals lost were down to absolutely poor defending,the referee copped out on issuing what should have been two red cards and the linesman missed a glaring off-side.
Let's hope this was a hiccup and go forward from here.
The one thing we need a a hard, strong tackler in a holding position whose job is to win the ball and move it with simple passes.

Arfields rebound miss was a shocker. First one he done well to get it on target. Someone like Defoe buries the second chance

Our CBs were hitting quick early balls, the midfielders were taking the ball, one touch, turn, one touch, turn again, slow daisy cutter over to the other flank (often via the other midfielder).
If you can’t see this then I don’t know what to tell you

Because the front 3 were nowhere to be seen, but you seem to want to let them off the hook. No runs into space, no backtracking to collect a pass, nothing.

Also, Gerrard disagrees with you. He’s said multiple times this year that he’s looking for much more from the attacking 3, not the CMs. But, I’m sure you know more than he does.

Because the front 3 were nowhere to be seen, but you seem to want to let them off the hook. No runs into space, no backtracking to collect a pass, nothing.

Also, Gerrard disagrees with you. He’s said multiple times this year that he’s looking for much more from the attacking 3, not the CMs. But, I’m sure you know more than he does.

What a ridiculous tone to take - if the only opinions on here were the managers opinions then FF might as well become the match day programme.

also, FYI chief, Gerrard says he’s looking to buy midfielder(s).

Ideal world we get two in.

One able to score from range and get around the park.

Two, an in your face, drag us out a hole when chips are down midfielder who won’t back down when we are up against it. Some will scoff at that, but the manager has been here over 2 years now and failed to grasp the basics of the league here. Win the individual battles, win the game.

I don't think he really gets it at times especially the opposition we face. We need a back to basics approach one DM and two attackers who can get the ball down and play it quick with a tempo and a purpose.

Our midfield is effectively a stop gap area so our full backs can go forward.

Unless we have a dominant midfield we ain't winning this league any time soon imo.

I'd love to see the midfield improved
But if we're going to defend like that - any improved midfield still won't guarantee we win games

I said in the match thread after they scored - our defence had fallen asleep at least 2 minutes before the goal
I don't think they woke up all afternoon

I know we had 7 clean sheets leading up to Sunday
I know our defence can play well - especially individually

Even so I still don't have confidence in them - they loose shape far too easily imo - there were times yesterday they didn't seem to know each other & imo rarely play as a solid unit

Can you imagine if Gough was part of our back four just now ? He'd be hoarse every week barking instructions to the others

I don't think he really gets it at times especially the opposition we face. We need a back to basics approach one DM and two attackers who can get the ball down and play it quick with a tempo and a purpose.

Our midfield is effectively a stop gap area so our full backs can go forward.

Unless we have a dominant midfield we ain't winning this league any time soon imo.

I can't see how anyone can disagree with you there, on that last bit.
I do worry though that we could bring in the finest, most solid central midfielders in the world and they'd still be hacked, red-carded and injured with impunity.

Only thing I'd add is :
"Unless we get to grips with the uneven-ness of the match officiating in the league, especially when our players are concerned, we won't be allowed to win this league."

I can't see how anyone can disagree with you there, on that last bit.
I do worry though that we could bring in the finest, most solid central midfielders in the world and they'd still be hacked, red-carded and injured with impunity.

Only thing I'd add is :
"Unless we get to grips with the uneven-ness of the match officiating in the league, especially when our players are concerned, we won't be allowed to win this league."

The midfield should be the engine room and the heartbeat of any side our isn't which baffles me.

Sometimes you need that determination and grit someone to do the dirty work like a Kevin Thomson with someone beside them who will make things happen and link between the midfield to the attack a bit like what Ferguson/Davis (in his prime)/Mendes did under Walter in his second spell.

Back then the Football wasn't pretty but %^*& me we got results and we were very dominant especially against them and we had a top midfield.

Until we bring in these types of midfielders it's gonna be the same sorry story because we don't have an on form Morelos to bail us out every week.

We need a goalscoring midfielder as Jack, Kamara, Davis lack the confidence to try a shot.
Thought last season at Ross County Ryan Jack was improving in the goals department, but he's not showing much so far this season.

What a ridiculous tone to take - if the only opinions on here were the managers opinions then FF might as well become the match day programme.

also, FYI chief, Gerrard says he’s looking to buy midfielder(s).

You realise, Hagi, Kent and Arfield are all midfielders don’t you? You might want to highlight the bit of my post where I said only the manager’s opinions mattered because I didn’t. I did imply that I would take his view every time over a random on the Internet.

We need a goalscoring midfielder as Jack, Kamara, Davis lack the confidence to try a shot.
Thought last season at Ross County Ryan Jack was improving in the goals department, but he's not showing much so far this season.

Jack is also just too injury prone. And it's not just the odd game here and there with him. Tends to be weeks at a time.

We can't rely on him.

It should be clear by now that’s not going to happen.

The way we play is the way it’s going to be under Gerrard, win or bust.

You realise, Hagi, Kent and Arfield are all midfielders don’t you? You might want to highlight the bit of my post where I said only the manager’s opinions mattered because I didn’t. I did imply that I would take his view every time over a random on the Internet.

mate, we’re all randoms on the internet. hate to break it to you.
if your argument needs that kind of juice, then into the bin with it, perhaps there’s an online debating forum where everyone thinks like you out there, may your fruitless search bring you a modicum of much needed wisdom

Jack is also just too injury prone. And it's not just the odd game here and there with him. Tends to be weeks at a time.

We can't rely on him.

Jack is also pretty average, he’s a decent player, not a great player. He doesn’t dictate or dominate games often enough like we need a midfielder to do

The fact that after 3 seasons Jack is still our best central midfielder is f*cking ridiculous.

Back