It appears MB likes to work with position based coaches

ssblue

Found this from his early days at QPR:

MICHAEL Beale has confirmed he has built his backroom team so that the coaches have the necessary skillset to work across particular units of the pitch.

Following the arrival of Damian Matthew who joins Neil Banfield as assistant coach, Beale explained: “I like to use specific coaches to work closely with individual players and units in the team.

“I believe strongly that it is a management team that will all work together for the success and progression of the players, team and club as a whole.

“I am looking forward to bringing that together with Gavin Ward for goalkeepers, Neil for defenders, Damian for midfielders and the forwards working specifically with me.

It’s a reasonable way to go at it. I was a fan of Gio, especially the way he set up the team to deal with European matches but it was quite clear that there wasn’t focused sessions (or that they weren’t working) on areas of the team… although the entire team seemed very disciplined and working as a unit in most of the Europa League matches so there seemed to be a different focus.

Out of interest because I genuinely don’t know and want to get my post count up rather than google it - was Michael Beale a forward in his limited playing days? Just wondering why that’s the area he takes.
He was a winger I believe. Neil Banfield worked with him at Charlton and thought he was a really good player.

That’s what SG done as it not ? Not sure where the story is maybe just re-iterating it because he may have done it differently from his previous time at the club .

Who is his defensive expert then ?

It'll be very good for the young players to be coached in units, especially the defenders.

These guys are still learning their games, so thet still need close monitoring to allow them to progress.

Put that together with playing against better players, and under pressure of first team football, should really push them on.

That’s what SG done as it not ? Not sure where the story is maybe just re-iterating it because he may have done it differently from his previous time at the club .

Who is his defensive expert then ?
It’ll most likely be Neil Banfield.

Gerrards set up with us was the same.
Beale has mentioned this in podcasts he’s done.

MB worked with attackers
Garry Mac with the midfield
Culshaw with the defence

Not sure if this was a structure Gerrard installed or if it was Beale idea initially.

Reactions: TQ3
Found this from his early days at QPR:

MICHAEL Beale has confirmed he has built his backroom team so that the coaches have the necessary skillset to work across particular units of the pitch.

Following the arrival of Damian Matthew who joins Neil Banfield as assistant coach, Beale explained: “I like to use specific coaches to work closely with individual players and units in the team.

“I believe strongly that it is a management team that will all work together for the success and progression of the players, team and club as a whole.

“I am looking forward to bringing that together with Gavin Ward for goalkeepers, Neil for defenders, Damian for midfielders and the forwards working specifically with me.

I thought with Roy Makaay being a world renouned striker in his playing days he would have brought the best out of our attackers.

Instead our finishing in front of goal since his arrival has been worse than under any other coaching staff.

No idea what he done at the training ground but he offered absolutely zero in the way of direction during games.

I remember Defoe talking about how they dealt with coming back from lockdown with rules still in place for the season that resulted in 55.

They came in a few at a time to do fitness work or to work with the coaches based on position. Defenders one day, midfielders the next… Pretty sure he said it was great doing that way because everyone in a similar position got used to being around each other with and without the ball and they could work on specific aspects without watering things down to fit another group in.

Maybe it was Beale’s idea! Will be interesting to see if he repeats this and gets each position focussing on their own game within his system.

I thought with Roy Makaay being a world renouned striker in his playing days he would have brought the best out of our attackers.

Instead our finishing in front of goal since his arrival has been worse than under any other coaching staff.

No idea what he done at the training ground but he offered absolutely zero in the way of direction during games.
Told ryan kent the tricks are for the circus one day?

Great find OP, a load of people on here struggled not knowing what the structure was like under Gio.

So we got;
Beale - Attackers
Banfield- Defenders
Matthews - Midfielders
Watling - Set pieces
Stewart - Keepers

I wonder if he’s going to bring in a fitness coach or if there’s someone at the club he knows already for the role.

It's starting to sound as if the coaching routine will be entirely different under Beale. I certainly like the sound of Banfield who appears to value the importance of a good working relationship with players.

Gio's coaches always came across as miserable bar stewards, in complete contrast to Gio himself. I'm still baffled as to what Ceri Bowley actually did?

It's starting to sound as if the coaching routine will be entirely different under Beale. I certainly like the sound of Banfield who appears to value the importance of a good working relationship with players.

Gio's coaches always came across as miserable bar stewards, in complete contrast to Gio himself. I'm still baffled as to what Ceri Bowley actually did?

Tbh we never knew what Vos or Makaay coached under Gio either, you would think Makaay was an attacking coach but we never seen him doing any drills etc. Colin Stewart was GK & set pieces, Philips was fitness and Bosschaart was an analyst and that’s all the clarity we got.

gn16.png

Do they know the horseshoe????
To be fair, every team in the world, from the best to the worst, does the horseshoe these days. Not sure whether this is due to teams being more tactically aware and harder to breakdown, or whether players are less likely to try passes which may lose possession, whether the game is faster and periods of easy possession are needed to recharge the batteries, have most teams been brainwashed into thinking that's how a good football team plays,.........

I recently watched part of a Rangers v Celtic game filmed from the Govan Stand in 1985 and posted on this website. From that I realised that it wasn't just my imagination telling me football was better to watch in those days and it has become more sterile since. The punishment of heavy tackles nowadays is obviously a good thing but I would have expected that to result in players being more willing to take their man on, but instead most teams try to pass it to death.

Not sure what can be done about it but would be interesting to understand why teams do the horseshoe more now, and take it from there.

Told ryan kent the tricks are for the circus one day?
That's all I remember from his stint with us.

I recall thinking he was as effective with forwards as much Davy Weir was with our defenders.

This maybe a little harsh on both, given I have no experience of what they both contributed. But that's what I thought.

Would think a key factor in the horseshoe shape is to curb or neutralise counter attacks
When I think of the horseshoe I think of it as another name for playing the ball across the back and going nowhere regardless of the actual shape.

I suppose you are right about fullbacks pushing forward to be closer to their man when a counter attack happens and that makes the defense shape more of a horseshoe. The fact that fullbacks are rarely pushed back by proper wingers then comes into it. Wingers may drop back to midfield more often these days.

To be fair, every team in the world, from the best to the worst, does the horseshoe these days. Not sure whether this is due to teams being more tactically aware and harder to breakdown, or whether players are less likely to try passes which may lose possession, whether the game is faster and periods of easy possession are needed to recharge the batteries, have most teams been brainwashed into thinking that's how a good football team plays,.........

I recently watched part of a Rangers v Celtic game filmed from the Govan Stand in 1985 and posted on this website. From that I realised that it wasn't just my imagination telling me football was better to watch in those days and it has become more sterile since. The punishment of heavy tackles nowadays is obviously a good thing but I would have expected that to result in players being more willing to take their man on, but instead most teams try to pass it to death.

Not sure what can be done about it but would be interesting to understand why teams do the horseshoe more now, and take it from there.

Coaches will rather go back and side to side than playing a risky pass forward of it means retaining possession.

"handbrake off"

i've read that today...is that a quote from MB?

Coaches will rather go back and side to side than playing a risky pass forward of it means retaining possession.
But why has possession become more important than in the past ?

I think teams are more tactically aware than in the past so maybe they are more likely to drop back and let another team have it in an area that can't hurt them. In the past we would expect the forwards to be chasing the defenders trying to get the ball off them, especially in Scotland. We have become more continental in style probably through seeing the best teams on TV regularly. I don't think that's the kind of football we want in Scotland. Some of these World Cup matches would get football stopped.

Don’t worry under Beale we’ll still see plenty of the ball being passed around the back four.

Same as we did under Gerrard. Gio didn’t invent that, contrary to the views held on here.

One of the best goals I've ever seen us score was a direct result of passing it about at the back.

People have wrongly attributed being comfortable passing out from the back as being our biggest issue under Gio. It was scoring goals and creating chances, recycling possession and shifting the ball about in our own half is a normal part of modern football. Our issue was we did nothing in the final third. We were so easy to defend against, far too easy in fact.

The Spain v Germany game it was very very obvious Spain were playing "horseshoe" football.

The term is so lazy its unreal

Seen in an old interview the guy is a massive fan of American Football, likes how they have a team of 'offensive coaches' and 'defensive coaches' and is trying to bring that into football.

I get the theory of it and it works in handegg but not sure it translates to SACCER

Don’t worry under Beale we’ll still see plenty of the ball being passed around the back four.

Same as we did under Gerrard. Gio didn’t invent that, contrary to the views held on here.
Watching Goldson and whoever is beside him play the 5 minute tiki taka with each other while the opposition get back into their positions and get their shape has done my head in for seasons.

Was watching the Belgium v Morocco game and the commentator said something about Belgium that summed us up, he said Belgium were keeping the ball just for the sake of keeping it, they had the ball but they weren't really doing anything positive with it.

Seen in an old interview the guy is a massive fan of American Football, likes how they have a team of 'offensive coaches' and 'defensive coaches' and is trying to bring that into football.

I get the theory of it and it works in handegg but not sure it translates to SACCER
Would Tam Forsyth be the kicker?

Back