It feels different this time round, doesn’t it?

Hugely.

Felt different last year for a long time. We were always reliant on Alfredo though, and the squad wasn't as strong.

Honestly, Alfie might get dropped the way the team are playing and it probably wouldn't affect us half as much as in the past.

We have a player who can step into almost any position without a massive drop of is the difference. We are in a good place

I was saying this earlier and last night coming from behind twice and Gerrard changing tactics cemented it. Previously, I would have been worried about playing 4 consecutive games away from home, but I just don’t see us losing any time soon.

We've seen it all before, with massive disappointment, this time could be different, the league Cup now looks like something for this squad to get it's teeth into, not so much success, but as a monkey off our back,that first trophy, we need that trophy.

I’m not going to tempt fate....
Likewise. Looks good but long way to go and we need to play them three times. The closer we get, the more the pressure will be ramped up by their poodles in the media and the officials will be under the cosh to give them every advantage going.

I feel more confident about matches, but after the last couple of seasons, I can’t feel completely confident about how May will look.

Not yet for me.

Might be scar tissue but despite the result, Thursday was a bit of a cause for concern. We looked to be in our post winter break form for spells of the game.

I'm taking it a game at a time and trying to not even think about the title, if Celtic drop points again soon that may change.

It worries me when I hear everyone say we don’t look like we will collapse after Christmas. We never looked like it before.

agreed with the OP though and just staying quiet

Nope.

Nothing different. Starting well and progressing in Europe is no different to last season. We were all losing the head after a few good results then, absolutely no way am I doing that again this year.

Nope.

Nothing different. Starting well and progressing in Europe is no different to last season. We were all losing the head after a few good results then, absolutely no way am I doing that again this year.
Not directed at you personally but I'm getting fed up with these sorts of replies. They are lazy and don't highlight the stark differences between then and now on numerous levels. Yes, we started well last year, and yes we progressed from the group in the Europa. That's where the similarities end.

Europa first off. We have a chance next week to top a group, more difficult than last seasons imo, for the first time in our history and do it unbeaten as the 3rd seeds in the process. Last season we were losing or, at best, drawing last nights game. We found a way when we were struggling, adapted tactics, and won it. We can now rest players if required for the Poznan game. Marked improvement.

The league situation is even more night and day than the European results. Undefeated. Points, ahead of last year. Number of clean sheets, way ahead of last season. Scoring for fun, which we also did last year tbf. However, our goals are spread right throughout the team instead of an over reliance on Alfie. Adapting tactics to suit the opposition, 1 holding against the weaker teams, 2 against the better ones. Squad depth quality seriously improved all over the pitch. Halliday, Flannagan, McCrorie, Murphy, Fod etc out, Zungu, Bassey, Balogun, Roofe, Itten, McGlaughlin in. 4,5,6+ changes game on game all season so far to avoid the burnout we had last season with zero impact on results.

Aribo starts on fire, gets injured. Arfield steps in to cover, multiple motm performances. Helander gets injured, Balogun strolls it. McGregor injured, McGlaughlin starts off with 6 clean sheets and threads appear saying he should be our No1. Jack injured, Kamara comes in, absolutely bosses it. Hagi, hardly had a look in, 7 assists. Morelos off it, Defoe does what Defoe does. Tav, simply phenomenal, he simply wasn't last season. Not even mentioned Roofe, Kent or Glodson.

Our confidence through the roof, competition for places stronger than it has been in well over a decade. Not losing goals, averaging 3+ per game scored. Meanwhile, our closest challengers are in complete disarray, conceding 4 goals to our 1, fans rioting and wanting their manager and Chief Exec gone, 1 point as top seeds in their Europa group, their best players arguably downing tools and wanting out, playing last seasons 3rd choice goalie as their No1 for most of the season, out of the League Cup already, absolute worst case still 5 points behind us in the league with the next OF at Ibrox.

I get the apprehension to an extent, but this season and last season are not even remotely comparable.

The team is absolutely better than it was last season and Celtic are absolutely worse than they were.

It does feel different, but i'm not getting ahead of myself. Still a long, long 23 games to go this season.

Ill start getting ahead of myself if we keep our winning run up through to the end of January or are 8+ points up by then. Because we'll have played all the hardest teams away twice, only have 12 games left in the league and would be beyond catching from OF games alone. I'm relatively confident in this playing out but we will drop points at times and Celtic will put a run together eventually - theres no way we walk this title by a massive margin, i cant see the poets going down without a fight.

In any case, its up to us. Keep the focus on our opponents, keep the players fresh physically and mentally, keep our powder dry as fans, and ultimately keep doing the business in orderly fashion every weekend.

The team is absolutely better than it was last season and Celtic are absolutely worse than they were.

It does feel different, but i'm not getting ahead of myself. Still a long, long 23 games to go this season.

Ill start getting ahead of myself if we keep our winning run up through to the end of January or are 8+ points up by then. Because we'll have played all the hardest teams away twice, only have 12 games left in the league and would be beyond catching from OF games alone. I'm relatively confident in this playing out but we will drop points at times and Celtic will put a run together eventually - theres no way we walk this title by a massive margin, i cant see the poets going down without a fight.

In any case, its up to us. Keep the focus on our opponents, keep the players fresh physically and mentally, keep our powder dry as fans, and ultimately keep doing the business in orderly fashion every weekend.
I'm seeing the OF games as ones where we can inflict further damage on the mentally challengeds and increase the gap further. We may be the only ones who can do this.

For a few weeks now I’ve been thinking there’s something different about this team. Watch the walk on to the pitch on Thursday. Without looking cocky, they had a determined, confident look. A look that comes with the habit of winning and a feeling that defeat will not even enter their minds.

Not directed at you personally but I'm getting fed up with these sorts of replies. They are lazy and don't highlight the stark differences between then and now on numerous levels. Yes, we started well last year, and yes we progressed from the group in the Europa. That's where the similarities end.

Europa first off. We have a chance next week to top a group, more difficult than last seasons imo, for the first time in our history and do it unbeaten as the 3rd seeds in the process. Last season we were losing or, at best, drawing last nights game. We found a way when we were struggling, adapted tactics, and won it. We can now rest players if required for the Poznan game. Marked improvement.

The league situation is even more night and day than the European results. Undefeated. Points, ahead of last year. Number of clean sheets, way ahead of last season. Scoring for fun, which we also did last year tbf. However, our goals are spread right throughout the team instead of an over reliance on Alfie. Adapting tactics to suit the opposition, 1 holding against the weaker teams, 2 against the better ones. Squad depth quality seriously improved all over the pitch. Halliday, Flannagan, McCrorie, Murphy, Fod etc out, Zungu, Bassey, Balogun, Roofe, Itten, McGlaughlin in. 4,5,6+ changes game on game all season so far to avoid the burnout we had last season with zero impact on results.

Aribo starts on fire, gets injured. Arfield steps in to cover, multiple motm performances. Helander gets injured, Balogun strolls it. McGregor injured, McGlaughlin starts off with 6 clean sheets and threads appear saying he should be our No1. Jack injured, Kamara comes in, absolutely bosses it. Hagi, hardly had a look in, 7 assists. Morelos off it, Defoe does what Defoe does. Tav, simply phenomenal, he simply wasn't last season. Not even mentioned Roofe, Kent or Glodson.

Our confidence through the roof, competition for places stronger than it has been in well over a decade. Not losing goals, averaging 3+ per game scored. Meanwhile, our closest challengers are in complete disarray, conceding 4 goals to our 1, fans rioting and wanting their manager and Chief Exec gone, 1 point as top seeds in their Europa group, their best players arguably downing tools and wanting out, playing last seasons 3rd choice goalie as their No1 for most of the season, out of the League Cup already, absolute worst case still 5 points behind us in the league with the next OF at Ibrox.

I get the apprehension to an extent, but this season and last season are not even remotely comparable.
Add in that this stage last season they'd beat us at Ibrox without us laying a glove on them, this season we've won at the piggery without even so much as a shot on target from them.

mate please flood this thread with those so I can do the same haha

I'm playing it down to every mentally challenged I know but it certainly does. It's feels the way it used to do. Onwards and upwards(hopefully). I've got so many gifs and memes saved over these few months to really stick it to said mentally challengeds.

Said this to my mates. Won’t go shouting about it to any tim but. Play it down - this is our year!
That’s me too.
Underplay, nothing won yet, only five points, still to get hit by Covid, still got post Christmas blues to come, injuries and suspension, squad depth still unproven, squad mental strength and bottle still unproven, Morelos still not functioning, Gerrard not experienced enough.
They turn their back and I say to a bear “that’s all sh1te, we’re going to ram them this season”.
My mate said to me he could see the confidence rising in the clown that was believing my every word.

Likewise. Looks good but long way to go and we need to play them three times. The closer we get, the more the pressure will be ramped up by their poodles in the media and the officials will be under the cosh to give them every advantage going.

Just remember that bastard clancy an his "we know what's at stake this season"

Yep, but I said the same last December. Granted, they weren't in the meltdown they seem to be in now. That's probably the biggest difference.

This squad, the manager, the unity with the fans. The circumstances.

Together, we are going to do a great thing in May. Follow, Follow!

There's something nice happening and evolving right now and Thursday night was an example of that.

BUT, it's still early days and that first piece of silverware will mean a lot to the management and players.

Again, let's not get too carried away at this point.

But it's lovely at the moment, no doubt about it.

I personally thought from the start of last season until November we weren’t playing particularly well,although we were getting better results than the previous season,Alfie ‘s goals were crucial in a lot of games but we were over reliant on him.December it felt we were beginning to click then the break came and Alfie’s form fell off the planet and matched the team pre Dec.It feels like this was a warning that the management team has heeded and with the new additions we are a better over all team and not relying on one player.

That’s me too.
Underplay, nothing won yet, only five points, still to get hit by Covid, still got post Christmas blues to come, injuries and suspension, squad depth still unproven, squad mental strength and bottle still unproven, Morelos still not functioning, Gerrard not experienced enough.
They turn their back and I say to a bear “that’s all sh1te, we’re going to ram them this season”.
My mate said to me he could see the confidence rising in the clown that was believing my every word.
It’s an interesting one when they talk about Gerrard’s managerial experience. A rookie manager they say. I’ve said to one of them in the past Gerrard is cutting his teeth in a competitive league, Lennon cut his teeth in a one horse race, who’s handling that pressure better now we’re on top? Shut him up!

Back