It feels like we’ve gone backwards

Their goals came directly from us easily losing possession & the comical defending for the second other than that i wasn't overly impressed.

Lyon were good but not europa league winning good imo.
We competed well don't get me wrong but they looked like they had a good few gears to go through too

the root of the problem is we had a far far better pre-seaon last season than this, and we're paying the price

II've just watched relentle55 earlier.
The football we played last season was sensational at times, really really good to watch.
This season has been night and day, verging on boring.the way we've played so far.
Hope to %^*& we fix it soon.

It’s nice to know our season is still salvageable from the terrible position of top of the league B-)
I had been deliberately avoiding this thread because I had a fair idea of what to expect.

Saw it was staying on the first page so thought I'd have a peak, page one of the thread was exactly what I expected. I haven't read page 2 and 3 and tbh doubt there is any point.

Yes, losing to Malmo was a disaster. Not a fatal blow, but a significantly damaging one. And DU was unacceptable really.

But, we're top of the league and still have 4 trophies to play for.

Criticism should not be avoided, but it should be proportionate.

We've not went backwards but it is very hard not to come to the conclusion that this current Rangers team peaked last season and due to the financial situation is unable to refresh/reset where is required.

This isn't a dig at the players but I also think there's a few that mentally may have checked out, expected to be elsewhere and again finances have dictacted otherwise but I actually think that was to be expected.

Rangers are the be all and end all for us but not for the players. For some, last season was job done and onto the next challenge.

We've not went backwards but it is very hard not to come to the conclusion that this current Rangers team peaked last season and due to the financial situation is unable to refresh/reset where is required.

This isn't a dig at the players but I also think there's a few that mentally may have checked out, expected to be elsewhere and again finances have dictacted otherwise but I actually think that was to be expected.

Rangers are the be all and end all for us but not for the players. For some, last season was job done and onto the next challenge.
I think SG virtually confirmed he didn’t get the players he wanted and needed. We signed squad players to replace squad players. One way or another we need a big financial investment how or where from I’ve no idea .

I think SG virtually confirmed he didn’t get the players he wanted and needed. We signed squad players to replace squad players. One way or another we need a big financial investment how or where from I’ve no idea .

TBF to the board they've went above and beyond the last three years in terms of a budget for Gerrard. They've also knocked back £16m for Morelos, knocked back £12m for Kent and knocked back good money for Patterson.

We frontloaded the funding to get the title. As soon as the title was won the spending was always going to be capped.

The frustration is we are seemingly unable to bring in any bids acceptable (to us) for our players.

Why? Because I don’t agree? It’s absolute nonsense at least wait until we are at full strength without players carrying injuries before judging the team.
Wit??? That's the whole point in having a squad and our squad should be miles ahead than every other squad in league at least. They are lacklustre and slow, fitness mentally and physically is a major issue

Wit??? That's the whole point in having a squad and our squad should be miles ahead than every other squad in league at least. They are lacklustre and slow, fitness mentally and physically is a major issue
I’m not denying we have been far from convincing but a bit of patience is needed.

It all feels a bit apathetic just now. The team and the fans. Last 2 games should have been jumping but it hasn’t. I think we all have a hangover that we just can’t shake.

I’m not denying we have been far from convincing but a bit of patience is needed.
Not being funny here but patience??? We have played double figures in games and still not played well. Thursday was a hard game but we are struggling big style, we should be miles ahead yet 1 defeat and 1 draw against teams we should not be struggling against

Last edited:
We were very good first half today but didn’t really create any clear cut openings.
Our goal was actually offsite!!
And I think we were lucky not to concede a penalty when Roofe kicked Watt’s foot.
Defence was definitely weaker with Simpson in there instead of big Fil or Balogun and it showed.
Without completely reliable defending, we are always susceptible to conceding and that says to me regression compared to last season.

Not being funny here but patience??? We have played double figures in games and still not played well. Thursday was a hard game but we are struggling big style, we should be miles ahead yet 1 defeat and 1 draw against teams we should not be struggling against

I always find this argument quite strange if I’m honest.

We lose and/or draw to teams we shouldn’t every single season in the league.

For me, so far this season it seems like we’ve gone backwards.
We seem to have lost the fight and urgency that was such a factor of our game last season.
I did expect Lyon to outclass us on the ball this evening but I really did not expect us to be so passive and be bullied across the park.
Right from the start of the season against Malmo and Dundee united we were bullied.
It happened again tonight and we were not up for the physical challenge.
The last three seasons we were very rarely bullied by any team but it’s happened an alarming number of times already this season.
In the first half against St Johnstone at the Weeknd we were not winning the physical battles at times.
It is worrying because we are lacking the warrior type performances that we have produced especially in
For the first time since the 2019-20 season I find myself nervous if we go 45 without scoring or are leading by a single goal. The insecurities and frailties of that season seems to have returned for some reason. You can blame Covid, lack of a proper pre-season, or certain players loss of form, and while you'd have a point, it doesn't explain the lack of intensity we showed last year.

I just hope Gerrard can get it sorted and we start to see the ruthlessness that powered us to the title last season back in the side real soon

Back