It is not ability or heart now

Northampton_Loyalist

It is something that cannot be taught. The manager and the players need to learn to win, need to mature and need to learn a little ‘cute’

We have players on the park who are capable of going toe to toe.

We have players on that park who are giving their all.

We need to learn to manage a game and as painful as it is, when the red came the script was written: our players were like a dog with 2 dicks, our manager scented blood and we got reckless rather than turning the screw. Inexperience from the manager allowed it to happen and we were always going to get picked off.

Today is all the more painful for the expectation that preceded it but as sickening as it is, we need to believe that it is all a necessary part of our progress and that we are one more step along the road to a full recovery. The players are a little wiser and hopefully a little hungrier.

I will put my neck on the line and say we will win the cup tie and we will win at their place, off the back of today. We proved we have the matching of them in ability and I pray that today has given us the mentality to take it to them properly.

As I mentioned in the match post, outsmarted. We might be getting closer to them with playing ability but we are miles behind them on learning how to win a game. That belongs as much with the manager and tactics as it does with players wisening up on the pitch.

The problem is Murty. A proper manager would have been able to win that.

We have a good squad but an u20's coach as manager, what did we ever expect?

Windass and Goss off for Holt and Cummings after the red card and I'd be confident we would've won it.

We are two or three players away from genuinely competing.

The fall out from today could kill us at Hampden though

You cannot gain experience like today from coaching.

We lost a first choice centre half early, we had several debutants and we have a young side in general anyway. They do, in a perverted kind of way, need games like this to make or break them.

There should not be a player or coach in our dressing room who is not tearing strips off each other, they should all be angry and they should all be angry at themselves. The senior players failed to guide the youngsters and the youngsters were over awed.

Today makes this team.

Doesn't matter how good the centre halfs are if your midfield just let the opposition run at them for 90 mins.

The midfield were outnumberd same as against Hibs. Docherty was breaking up play and making tacklrs all day , the problem was the 2nd ball was falling to Brown cause he was spare and had free reign to mince about the middle liking like a superstar all game.

Murty needs to learn to cant win a game of football if you surrender the middle of the park.

You cannot gain experience like today from coaching.

We lost a first choice centre half early, we had several debutants and we have a young side in general anyway. They do, in a perverted kind of way, need games like this to make or break them.

There should not be a player or coach in our dressing room who is not tearing strips off each other, they should all be angry and they should all be angry at themselves. The senior players failed to guide the youngsters and the youngsters were over awed.

Today makes this team.
10 men winning at Ibrox carries the filth to Hampden

Today could kill us unless out support act smart and just realise we've basically caught up on a side that finished 39 points ahead of us.

Focus on the fact, we're a threat not the 10 man posh today

We can't defend. Alves is great when the ball is in the air, but if it's on the deck then his lack of pace is costly. The only way we can play him is in a three where he has less distance to cover.

It is something that cannot be taught. The manager and the players need to learn to win, need to mature and need to learn a little ‘cute’

We need to learn to manage a game and as painful as it is, when the red came the script was written: our players were like a dog with 2 dicks, our manager scented blood and we got reckless rather than turning the screw. Inexperience from the manager allowed it to happen and we were always going to get picked off.

Today is all the more painful for the expectation that preceded it but as sickening as it is, we need to believe that it is all a necessary part of our progress and that we are one more step along the road to a full recovery. The players are a little wiser and hopefully a little hungrier.

I will put my neck on the line and say we will win the cup tie and we will win at their place, off the back of today. We proved we have the matching of them in ability and I pray that today has given us the mentality to take it to them properly.

We lost to a Celtic team who never got out of second gear played the last half hour with 10 men had more shots on target 9 corners to our 3 and virtually identical possession over the 90 That's where we are Not sure serious saying we will win next 2 against them

I had hoped that we'd come out in the 2nd half and be far less passive without the ball. Pressing, marking was non existent in the first half. Nothing changed. That's what worries me. It was obvious. Brown strolling about in acres of space.

We're great going forward at times with the ball but very poor when not in possession.

10 men winning at Ibrox carries the filth to Hampden

Today could kill us unless out support act smart and just realise we've basically caught up on a side that finished 39 points ahead of us.

Focus on the fact, we're a threat not the 10 man posh today

I hate going in hard on our support but if we are brutally honest with ourselves, the run up to this game has been embarrassing. 15k bets, 5-1 score line predictions, the hubris has been huge and that is OUR problem, not the team’s. If supporters cannot take this season for what it is, they need to start dealing in reality because we have made enormous strides.

The scum have a winning side. We have a young and inexperienced side who have won nothing. We will only gain that experience through adversity.

Oh fûck off. It was about heart. Heart and strength in the middle. We looked beaten after they got the 3rd. It’s fûcking unacceptable

Defence killed us today but that second half performance was an abomination by the whole team.

Moved away from the direct attacking play of the first half to a Warburton-esque tippy tappy pile of shite. How many crosses never got beyond the first man.

We lost to a Celtic team who never got out of second gear played the last half hour with 10 men had more shots on target 9 corners to our 3 and virtually identical possession over the 90 That's where we are Not sure serious saying we will win next 2 against them

Flip it around. We were ahead twice despite losing a first choice centre half and having several debutants. If our striker had managed to to fluff his 2 golden chances we were winning that game despite all your points. Those debutants now have that monkey off their back, we have another lesson under the belt and yes, I think it will serve to make us stronger.

I hate going in hard on our support but if we are brutally honest with ourselves, the run up to this game has been embarrassing. 15k bets, 5-1 score line predictions, the hubris has been huge and that is OUR problem, not the team’s. If supporters cannot take this season for what it is, they need to start dealing in reality because we have made enormous strides.

The scum have a winning side. We have a young and inexperienced side who have won nothing. We will only gain that experience through adversity.
The pick a 11 from either side is scary unless were playing staunch monopoly.

Only Tav and our keeper gets a game for them honestly...
Two more than it should given the last 6 years.

We're a threat! They know It? We know it...today could kill us unless we get sensible and think long term.

We could easily win at Hampden if we think straight

A proper manager? You mean like Warburton or Caixinha?

If it wasn't for Murty, we'd have been expecting defeat today.

That's exactly what I said, we need Warburton or Caixinha back. o_O

We have a decent squad out there now but a manager who doesn't really know management yet. The board of directors are responsible for this, said the same back in november and I won't be changing my mind on it.

people have been harping on about Cardoso replacing bates and how he’s a better defender we’ll today put that nonsense to bed.
Mate bates is not the 1st team answer either , squad player yes to come in but not a starter for me we have got the rest of team almost sorted new goalie for me of possible, Wes being back up but we need 2 good and fast central defenders asap Martin and bates back up Morelos away said all along those two misses at at the girodome , oh and Murthy is not the answer too slow to make changes can't read a game

I agree OP we need match intelligence.

Where we did have it was in smashing Brown a couple at the start and in using Boyata where we could to get an in.

Where we didn’t was in showing players in, and also not hitting them early and taking a booking if necessary, Rogic goal being a prime example.

Jamie Murphy also has a chance to go down after a heavy attempted challenge by Ajer-he rides and stays up instead of guaranteeing a yellow.

We are a young side in general and that’s fine. But naivety doesn’t have to be a symptom of youth.
They need educated quickly in these aspects of the game.

I agree OP we need match intelligence.

Where we did have it was in smashing Brown a couple at the start and in using Boyata where we could to get an in.

Where we didn’t was in showing players in, and also not hitting them early and taking a booking if necessary, Rogic goal being a prime example.

Jamie Murphy also has a chance to go down after a heavy attempted challenge by Ajer-he rides and stays up instead of guaranteeing a yellow.

We are a young side in general and that’s fine. But naivety doesn’t have to be a symptom of youth.
They need educated quickly in these aspects of the game.

It is unfortunate that the education you speak of cannot be coached, it can only come with games. If the players retreat after that we could see this squad in bother but if they learn from it and use it, they will be stronger for it.

I stand by my prediction

I think you're contradicting yourself a little there, NL.

You've suggested we lack a degree of experience and savvy, but then think it'll be rectified in the next couple of games?

Sorry, I don't buy that.

I think we're two or three players away from that still, and, it has to be said, quite possibly a manager too.

I'm trying to stay positive. We are slowly but surely getting there.

A new manager and a decent defender in the summer will go a long way

The midfield cost us the game.
I think you can blame the midfield for the 1st goal but the defenders have to take responsibility for the 2nd and 3rd. I always had a worry going into the games against them without a mccrorie ir even Ryan jack in there to do the dirty work. Docherty put in plenty of effort but is not a standard hard tackling sitting midfielder which we missed today.

I think you're contradicting yourself a little there, NL.

You've suggested we lack a degree of experience and savvy, but then think it'll be rectified in the next couple of games?

Sorry, I don't buy that.

I think we're two or three players away from that still, and, it has to be said, quite possibly a manager too.

I think that we had them on the ropes and let it slip through being naive. I think that the lesson today will be a hard one and will make the required impression. If it does not change the way we approach the game and more importantly, how we react to events within the game, I will worry a little.

Mistakes are NEVER a bad thing (unless you are a brain surgeon of course) if you take the lessons from them. Warburton failed to learn the lessons he was given. I hope Murty manages to take them and adapt.

A little savvy is all it would have taken to win that game 3 or 4 -1 after the red.

Fine margins morelos misses oportunity one on one then eduard bends one in top corner.soon as they went to 10 men they didnt panic they knew what was hapening.we panicked and couldnt play against there 10

I think that we had them on the ropes and let it slip through being naive. I think that the lesson today will be a hard one and will make the required impression. If it does not change the way we approach the game and more importantly, how we react to events within the game, I will worry a little.

Mistakes are NEVER a bad thing (unless you are a brain surgeon of course) if you take the lessons from them. Warburton failed to learn the lessons he was given. I hope Murty manages to take them and adapt.

A little savvy is all it would have taken to win that game 3 or 4 -1 after the red.

I hope you're right, but then I think of the Hibs match - probably the last time we faced as tough a side with a manager to match.

Have we really learned from that?

I'm not sure.

That's exactly what I said, we need Warburton or Caixinha back. o_O

We have a decent squad out there now but a manager who doesn't really know management yet. The board of directors are responsible for this, said the same back in november and I won't be changing my mind on it.
Clearly, because you haven't been watching since November.

A proper manager and we win that today. Same players under Walter Smith and we hammer them.

Defence turns up, we win.

Midfield turns up, we win.

Morelos stops wearing flip flops and we win.

But they didn't, we were shit from defence to attack and have a weak, naive and tactically inept manager in charge who offers no inspiration.

I hope you're right, but then I think of the Hibs match - probably the last time we faced as tough a side with a manager to match.

Have we really learned from that?

I'm not sure.

I make no bones about it, I am being as optimistic as I can and looking for positives.

A few facts are there though; the scum know how to manage a game, how to close it out and how to win while playing badly. Not a single one of those traits can be coached into a squad, it has to be earned. As sore as it is, if we want to learn, we need the lessons.

A proper manager and we win that today. Same players under Walter Smith and we hammer them.

Defence turns up, we win.

Midfield turns up, we win.

Morelos stops wearing flip flops and we win.

But they didn't, we were shit from defence to attack and have a weak, naive and tactically inept manager in charge who offers no inspiration.

So if the defence, midfield, attack and manager are all shite and if any 1 of the 4 were better we'd have won Wes must have had some game.

Back