It's a title race

We were not at our fluid best tonight, first league game after the break.

First game back to our 'strongest' available 11.

Missing our captain and huge creative force, missing our main man up front.

It is indeed a title race, and a position we have not been in for the better part of a decade.

I want, we all want a performance, but if it means 55 then 3 points is all that matters each fixture.

It's coming home.
I think Stevie G agrees!

It is indeed a title race, and a position we have not been in for the better part of a decade.

I want, we all want a performance, but if it means 55 then 3 points is all that matters each fixture.

It's coming home.
And it feels fucking awesome they puddle drinkers have it way too easy for way too long scum

Every game won’t be perfect, other teams will make it hard and compete, games like last night are littered through every title win, the players never looked panicked and seen it out without McGregor having a single save to make.
Some people genuinely don't take that into consideration. I suspect its. A lot of the same folk thought every game in the lower leagues was going to be at least 5-0 just because of who we are. They forget that it's a sporting contest and at the very least the opposition will be trying their best not to lose.

3 points is 3 points.

I gave up my ticket tonight but glad we got the win. Grinding out results is all that matters. The way we played will mean nothing come May.

There will be games we win 3 or 4 nil and it'll be comfortable. But every team that wins a title have to play out boring 1-0 wins, and sometimes have to dig out results when they've been poor. Last season we dropped points in games like last night, or the 1-0 win vs Killie on Boxing day. Or the last minute winner on the opening day at Killie. That seems to be the difference this season. Results like last night go a long way to winning a title. This could well be the season!

You knew what St. Mirren were bringing before a ball was kicked last night so why the start from Rangers - slow, pedestrian, laboured. Not one of the midfield trio willing to up the ante, take the game by the balls or try and bring that bit of spark. Kent and Aribo too far away from Defoe and the long balls started to creep into our game as a result. Not the first time and won't be the last we play like this with Morelos out the team.

Similar attitude and performance on Sunday and we are in for a shock - similar to the last visit to Tynecastle.

No matter what is said on here, the bheggars won't drop many points. Many predicted dropped points for them last night and it looks to me that they cruised it.

We are in a proper title battle so there will be games where we won't be at our best and we've got to grind out results, but we've got to also find that form soon too.

There can be no slip ups on Sunday so that means being near our best.

There will be plenty of games we have to win ugly, again the opposition never had a shot on target and we always take a few games to get going after the break.

I'm sure the subway loyal will be raging it wasnt 3-0 by 75 mins so they could relax and enjoy their subway ride home.

I get the reasoning that ugly wins are still worth 3 points, and if we do that for the rest of the season we get 55. However, the reality is that if we're 1-0 up going into the last 10 mins of every game for the rest of the season, we'll likely concede 1 or 2 late equalizers.

The facts are, in our last 3 games starting Defoe we've not been on it - two 1-0 wins and Alfie actually had to come off the bench to save us in one of those games.

We need to have another option besides Defoe when Alfie is unavailable.

I'm not a Defoe critic by any stretch, I think he will be an important part of our squad in this title race but our luck in these games will eventually run out IMO.

I really hope SG is looking at possible strikers to bring in. I don't think they have to be fantastic strikers that have pedigrees like Alfie and Defoe, we just need something different when Defoe is suffocated by defenders around him.

With the excellent service our full backs can deliver, I think someone with a presence and height in the box could be the difference in breaking these teams down. Plenty will probably accuse me of not wanting to play "attractive football", but we already put plenty crosses in the box in open play to Defoe, and they get batted away by every SPL defender. Wouldn't it be nice if 1 or 2 of these crosses actually were converted, or even challenged for?!

I think it's possible to find a solution to this problem in this transfer window that won't break the bank.

In a way we need a current day Kris Boyd - a striker who may not be at Europa Cup level, but who knows how to bang them in on a weekly basis in the SPL. Shame to say it, but Thumb-heid has shown he can do that job for them over the last two weeks.

This patter is always trotted out after an unconvincing performance. Awful.

It's not patter it's a fact. Every time we've won the league we've had poor performances and still won by the odd goal. In fact every team whose ever won any league will have games like that, it's part and parcel of what makes you champion.

Of course 3 points is all that matters but let's be realistic here . We will drop points between now and the end of season and last nights game was the kind of game where we need to be improving our GD just in case .
Happy with the win , but should have done better .
And do you also think they will drop points,just curious?you dont seem like someone who is confident we can win this league

This patter is always trotted out after an unconvincing performance. Awful.

Its the truth though, there will always be games like last night in every season, not all are going to be plain sailing.

We are showing title winning consistency.

Our last title win in 2010/11 we won 6 games at home by a 1 goal margin.

Sometimes you can only play as well as the opposition allow you to.

Stranraer and St. Boo played with effectively 9 defenders and strangled our play.

We moved into the next round of the cup and also took 3 points. Job done.

Last edited:
Winning ugly, I'll take that right now.

Really starting to think, the 2 games left against the scum, will decide if we win it or not.

Every win is a step closer to 55. Grind them out or pump them, who cares, 3 points is 3 points

I dont care if every game from here until May is a 1-0, off someones shin in the last minute performance. So long as the three points go on the table.

Its the truth though, there will always be games like last night in every season, not all are going to be plain sailing.

We are showing title winning consistency.

Our last title win in 2010/11 we won 6 games at home by a 1 goal margin.
I get that mate. Every win is a win. But we overplayed it too much last night and there wasn't enough penetration. I'm looking at the underlying performance and general play, not the result. Gerrard should have probably went more risky and played Arfield from the off. We had better not overplay as much on Sunday or we could get punished.

Another 3 points was the important thing, another game ticked off. Tougher test v hearts but expecting a much better performance

Exactly what it was like. Great point.

As a support have not had this position for far too long.

It wasnt always free flowing 3 and 4 goal romps with Walter.

However, we got the 3 points week in week out.
Said the very same thing that even with guys like God & Gazza we didn't always win by 3 or 4 goals.
Job done and we march on to Sunday.

The game planned out exactly as I expected. Hearts will be tough on Sunday but should suit us better as they’ll come out and have a go.

We need a better solution when up against the two banks of four at home though.

Neat and tidy up to the final third with no penetration could be our undoing.

Can’t expect to give teams a doing every game and 3 points is the most important thing.

That being said, we will need more against Hearts on Sunday despite them being pish.

Rangers have been pretty relentless this season both domestically and in Europe but so have they. I was hoping to see cracks appear in them but I don't yet even though we were better in the last two games we played each other. I think the next six games are massive. On paper we have it easier but last night showed that may not be the case. If we aren't above them by then I'll be popping Aspirin 82mg daily, not sure my heart can take it :))

The big difference from last year is we got 3 points which is all that matters

I think we will destroy Hearts on Sunday

I see a lot of their fans think they will win and i just love it when its like that, you dont often see our team struggle for anymore than 2/3 games max

In 2010/11, the last time Rangers won the league, Walter Smith's side won six home games by a single-goal margin.

Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Inverness, Hearts, St Mirren and Kilmarnock again all went close at Ibrox but ultimately left empty-handed.

Last night's win was the third such instance this term, following narrow successes over Kilmarnock and Motherwell.

Huge game for us this weekend. Get three points from that and then watch out for the green yin’s screaming for points deductions for us for various reasons - they will find something and some our phress will be supporting them with this call.

It's coming home.
Exactly all that matters is the next game which is Hearts on Sunday and we have got tickets through the Bus.

We don't seem to have a player who is capable of firing in a 30 yarder that can break a set up where we are faced with a block defence. A modern Albertz would be the final piece of the jigsaw for me.However we are still in the hunt & no doubt there will be a few more twists and turns before the title is decided.Hopefully in our favour.

The game planned out exactly as I expected. Hearts will be tough on Sunday but should suit us better as they’ll come out and have a go.

We need a better solution when up against the two banks of four at home though.

Neat and tidy up to the final third with no penetration could be our undoing.

two banks of 5 mate

Back