It's been 11 years since we've been in a genuine title fight

Coatbridge Chancellor

and by f#@k is it showing in some.

Maybe people forget, we've had a lot to think of in the decade.
Maybe they are too young.

This is what it's like. They play St Mirren teenagers and drop points.
We have a hard away game and draw.
OF games become crucial.

It's not for the faint-hearted.

To win the league we need to finish 1 (ONE) point clear of them. Not 25. Currently it's four.

Them strolling to unopposed or zoom titles isn't a race. Neither is us smoothly progressing while they implode.
We've got two good teams here. I believe ours is better.

The binfire on tonight here is sadly predictable and best ignored. We didn't play well. Disappointing. It happens. Get back on our feet.

If your not up for it, that's OK.
If you are, battle fever on please and let's Gio.

I’m not panicking like some in here are. But I will say some of our players looked like a Pedro/Murty rangers team tonight.

We badly need another option in midfield if Jack/Davis aren’t going to feature this season.
You need remember mate we have a rookie centre half playing and a midfield short of three starters

If Helander starts that game tonight the defence is probably sitting 10 yards further forward

I’m confident we’ll stretch our lead over the coming weeks leading up to the split, would be made a lot easier by bringing in a starting right forward. If the mhanks can negotiate the away fixtures we just have in this next round of games then it’ll be very much a close race, but I think they’ll drop points against the teams who defend deep, it’s been their Achilles heel all season.

Nearly fell asleep reading this tbh
It started as a whirlwind of how we need to be calm.
Then repeated that. Then said that we only need to be one point ahead to win the league which hopefully helped calm some unknown audience who are unsure about the points system.
Then finished with telling people to be calm and we'd win the league.

Also had bad grammar.

I said before a ball was kicked this season that refs would decide the outcome of the title. Its looking that way already. There is no way that Clancy would have allowed what went on last night against Celtc players. No chance.

OF games become crucial.

To win the league we need to finish 1 (ONE) point clear of them. Not 25. Currently it's four.

Them strolling to unopposed or zoom titles isn't a race. Neither is us smoothly progressing while they implode.

The binfire on tonight here is sadly predictable and best ignored. We didn't play well. Disappointing. It happens. Get back on our feet.

The best day I've had was either Kilmarnock but probably home to Dunfermline.you can't buy those days.

Even before the game people were openly saying they genuinely expected us to drop points.

1 defeat in something like 60 games, come through a very tough run of fixtures after losing our manager yet one result at one of the hardest places to go and the mood changes completely.
It's not the result, it's the performance for me. We have had 3 weeks to drill the players and tonight we turn up and get outplayed and battled by Aberdeen.

For years folk have said that it's their cup final, why can't it be ours?

It's not the result, it's the performance for me. We have had 3 weeks to drill the players and tonight we turn up and get outplayed and battled by Aberdeen.

That’s understandable and a lot of the posts I’m talking about are a lot more negative for dafter reasons

Sands written off after one game, Goldson is pish and should go, people saying they expect us to lose pre-match, it’s that stuff that’s mindless

The big issue we have is we’ve got polar opposite viewpoints in the main at the moment. Some believe we’re in a title race (we are IMO) and some believe we’re not and we’ll cruise to the title again.
There is a distinct third group who believe that any dropped points gives them across the city a bonus tranche of points which takes them ahead of us and will inevitably lead to them disappearing over the horizon.

If Celtc keep getting the big decisions, as they have all season, and we face ref performances like last night, then its their title to lose. Its as simple as that.
So celtic are winning the league because of refs and you prophesied this at the start of the season? I'd go harder with the 'monkey' bit than the 'magic' bit if I was you mate. It's the same refs as last season you know.

See the last time we were in a title fight now I might be wrong but did they mentally challenged bastards no cause a referee strike. How times have changed eh.

The big issue we have is we’ve got polar opposite viewpoints in the main at the moment. Some believe we’re in a title race (we are IMO) and some believe we’re not and we’ll cruise to the title again.
Anyone that genuinely believes the latter is burying their head in the sans big time.

OF games become crucial.

We’re only in a title fight because Gerrard was not motivating his team due to his attention being elsewhere, Arfield is one of those players that said as much when he talked about the change in manager being a positive. If we had started the season as we had finished the last, they’d have flung in the towel by now!

So celtic are winning the league because of refs and you prophesied this at the start of the season? I'd go harder with the 'monkey' bit than the 'magic' bit if I was you mate. It's the same refs as last season you know.

Celtc will win the title if they keep getting endless game-changing decisions that we don't. This shouldn't be difficult, mate.

If we’re four points ahead going to Parkhead I’ll be content. We remain difficult to beat and we’ll be up for the game. Let them believe they only need to turn up.

It’s nothing to do with not having the heart for the battle. It’s the fact that we are now almost through our third full window of doing nothing to add quality to the team. Tonight it showed and it’s an obvious concern given what’s at stake this season. Financially we need it more than them.

Arfield, Jack, Aribo and Davis all out and none of our summer signings were deemed good enough to start.

Pittodrie has always been a difficult place to go and get three points, particularly in the winter months. I posted a thread at the start of December looking ahead to a very challenging month and we have now come through that having only drawn away at Pittodrie, so I would say on the whole it has been a good period for us. I was fuming after the the game because we didn’t perform to our usual high standard, but you can’t win them all. We simply weren’t on it at all last night, but I fully expect us to go out and win the next few fixtures.

Im not bothered whether some choose to ignore the fact we wre in a title fight or others decide they cant cope with a title fight and panic.

The real issue to be seen for me is, can they players cope with a real title fight? Last season we were incredible. The pressure was however completely removed by Celtic’s implosion so it allowed usbto do our thing. The only blips were 1 off pressure games in the cups and we know how tjat turned out.

So, for me, it remains to be seen how the players cope with this. The hope is that they will do so like the last title winning teams that were in a battle and not collapse like we did the first few seasons under Gerrard at this stage when Celtic put their foot on the gas.

Going to be a rollercoaster season. Not one for the faint hearted i don’t think.

Im not bothered whether some choose to ignore the fact we wre in a title fight or others decide they cant cope with a title fight and panic.

The real issue to be seen for me is, can they players cope with a real title fight? Last season we were incredible. The pressure was however completely removed by Celtic’s implosion so it allowed usbto do our thing. The only blips were 1 off pressure games in the cups and we know how tjat turned out.

So, for me, it remains to be seen how the players cope with this. The hope is that they will do so like the last title winning teams that were in a battle and not collapse like we did the first few seasons under Gerrard at this stage when Celtic put their foot on the gas.

Going to be a rollercoaster season. Not one for the faint hearted i don’t think.
Mate, we strolled the league last season and there are many on here who were riding a rollercoaster every game.

Seasons like last are scarce, so If we want the title, we need to earn it. That includes the support.

Mate, we strolled the league last season and there are many on here who were riding a rollercoaster every game.

Seasons like last are scarce, so If we want the title, we need to earn it. That includes the support.
Completely agree man. Some still carry the battle scars from the last 10 years. Possibly last season alone isnt enough for many to fully heal them. The bottle jobs in the cups probably dont help. This will be a rollercoaster. We need a couple of players in or it will be tough.

My worry is that our midfield has been poor for the majority of the season and we just don’t have the players who can go to the tough away games and run the game

Completely agree man. Some still carry the battle scars from the last 10 years. Possibly last season alone isnt enough for many to fully heal them. The bottle jobs in the cups probably dont help. This will be a rollercoaster. We need a couple of players in or it will be tough.
For some its the battle scars, for others its just their nature.
As for new players, we should always look to improve, but getting Helander, Roofe, Jack, Davis, Arfield and Aribo back would be a start.

It’s incredibly frustrating that we aren’t out of sight. Tonight’s result isn’t a disaster, but would go as far as to say it would have been good result considering performance - had it not been for sloppy dropped points at home earlier in season.

Cannot believe we are only 4 ahead of that mob. But players need to accept that and get back on another run.

We've had it our own way for a long time , let's see how we react.

It's been an even longer time since a team dominated and bullied us in this country so the current team won't be used to it. I hope we give a strong response.

I said before a ball was kicked this season that refs would decide the outcome of the title. Its looking that way already. There is no way that Clancy would have allowed what went on last night against Celtc players. No chance.
We need to play well to get the points, ref was awful last night but did we really play well enough to deserve/earn the 3 points?

The gap will be 3-5 points i think ... cant see it going to the wire . but it will be close

It's the reality that this league will not be the walkover we all want it to be that causes the anger.

The beggars will win the vast majority of games as will we. This assumption that some have that we'll stroll it isn't based on either ours or their performances this season.

Last night was an insipid performance and if we see anything remotely similar again against ANY team then we'll drop points. One game at a time.

You're right. Last night was always going to be one of those games, but we will likely stretch our lead again next week. People need to claim down, some of the threads on here were mental last night.

It’s incredibly frustrating that we aren’t out of sight. Tonight’s result isn’t a disaster, but would go as far as to say it would have been good result considering performance - had it not been for sloppy dropped points at home earlier in season.

Cannot believe we are only 4 ahead of that mob. But players need to accept that and get back on another run.
I dont think it is that hard to believe. Since getting their actual players in, they have built a decent team and will beat the rest 99/100 times. we have maybe played well 10 games out the season so far. Its on us now to show that we are the best team/squad in the league.

We need to play well to get the points, ref was awful last night but did we really play well enough to deserve/earn the 3 points?
Agree. No doubt the ref was poor. However, he isnt the reason we didnt win that game. You need to create chances to do that. Our tactics, creativity and performance cost us that game, not Clancy.

We would be as well as pissing in the wind if we thought we would go the rest of the season winning every game, it happens. All greats Rangers team drop points here and there. Especially up at Pittodrie. Smiths first 3 seasons in his 2nd spell we never won once up there.

It's how we bounce back that will determine where we are at. Win our next 3 league games we are at least 7 points clear.

Last edited:

Absolutely. Time and again we let ourselves be drawn into the battle against these sort of teams away from home. Hearts was the exception. We have better players, we should be able to simply beat them at football. You dont see a man city going away to a watford and getting involved in a stop start game of winding up and fouling, they just go about their business. That gimp rodgers had celtic doing it too.

We managed it last year perhaps due to lack of fans creatig that atmosphere sowe need to find a way to manage it this year.

I dont think it is that hard to believe. Since getting their actual players in, they have built a decent team and will beat the rest 99/100 times. we have maybe played well 10 games out the season so far. Its on us now to show that we are the best team/squad in the league.
My point had nothing to do with their team, I know how daft the dropped points were against Motherwell, Hearts and Sheep at home and that’s what I find frustrating.

Some of tge results during Walter's three in a row team run would have nuked this site.

Although from memory, the grumbles were pretty loud back then as well. Especially after those three goalless draws in a row!

Another big thing for me is that if this is going to be a title fight, we need big performances from our key players consistently. Morelos will give that most weeks apart from when he would rather get into an ongoing slagging match with brown. The others in our front 3 formation need to up it. Kent's numbers this season are poor and, assist aside, he did bugger all last night. Hagi's numbers are even worse and, goal aside, he did even less. Scott Wright appears to lack the consistency or the quality to maintain a run in the team. It seems daft saying this after the 3 combined in a goal last night but over the course of the season so far its apparent. I think hagi and kent are far beter than abada and jota and yet abada has 10 goals and jota has 7 (i think) plus assists. We need our players, who are better than theirs, to pull their socks up and produce.

We also have to add a RW and I would say a Centre Mid if we are to win this battle. Still though, 4 clear with a 17 game mini season left. I would take that every single SPL season (bar last year obvously lol).

Another big thing for me is that if this is going to be a title fight, we need big performances from our key players consistently. Morelos will give that most weeks apart from when he would rather get into an ongoing slagging match with brown. The others in our front 3 formation need to up it. Kent's numbers this season are poor and, assist aside, he did bugger all last night. Hagi's numbers are even worse and, goal aside, he did even less. Scott Wright appears to lack the consistency or the quality to maintain a run in the team. It seems daft saying this after the 3 combined in a goal last night but over the course of the season so far its apparent. I think hagi and kent are far beter than abada and jota and yet abada has 10 goals and jota has 7 (i think) plus assists. We need our players, who are better than theirs, to pull their socks up and produce.

We also have to add a RW and I would say a Centre Mid if we are to win this battle. Still though, 4 clear with a 17 game mini season left. I would take that every single SPL season (bar last year obvously lol).

Kent, Hagi and Wright won't get us enough goals.

Kent, Hagi and Wright won't get us enough goals.
Thats the worry in a close race. Its why we absolutely need a Right Winger and a midfielder to come in that improve the 11 and can add goals.

Its also why we need Roofe to decide he no longer wants to join a bobsleigh team for the winter Olympics.

Back