It's Big Eck time.

That's a ridiculous comment, quite frankly. Plenty people in Scotland want to rewrite history to denigrate Rangers without our fans joining in.

Alex McLeish won the first 5 trophies he competed for against a Celtic side the Scottish media proclaimed as the best since the Stein era.

In winning the SPL in the 2002-03 season, Rangers suffered only 3 defeats. This was achieved despite the absence of an out-and-out striker like Larsson (Barry Ferguson was our top scorer).

McLeish was never given the resources available to Walter Smith.

And the resources are coming from where??? If I had a fanny and awe that

And the resources are coming from where??? If I had a fanny and awe that

The goal-posts have been shifted now.

You started this by dismissing Rangers' achievement in winning the Treble in 2003. My argument is that this was a particularly impressive triumph given the quality of the opposition and - unlike Advocaat and Smith - McLeish having limited resources available.

Everyone is aware that the club does not have anything like the spending power it did then. Yet, it still has far more than Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs. etc.

Why is McLeish such a big draw??? The guy led us to a 3rd position finish and only got a treble due to the incompetence of them across the city
The big man won his first five out of five trophies. He led us to the las time 16 of the CL and had it not been for a fresh air swipe, we would have been quarter finalists.

Personally, he’s not the chap for me long term, but he deserves more respect from Rangers fans than he gets. I’d take him tomorrow for the remainder of this season.

Some of the comments on here are a disgrace. People saying you wont accept McCleish etc.....Seriously, the guy matched ONeil trophy for trophy whilst downsizing. Took us out of the CL group section yet he's not good enough! Get in the real world. No manager worth a carrot will join us unless we get massive investment. Try supporting whoever is in charge and whoever plays. Unreal

Some of the comments on here are a disgrace. People saying you wont accept McCleish etc.....Seriously, the guy matched ONeil trophy for trophy whilst downsizing. Took us out of the CL group section yet he's not good enough! Get in the real world. No manager worth a carrot will join us unless we get massive investment. Try supporting whoever is in charge and whoever plays. Unreal

He did great back in the day- 15 years ago. His record in the last 10 years is awful. and you can't see why folk wouldn't be happy?

He did great back in the day- 15 years ago. His record in the last 10 years is awful. and you can't see why folk wouldn't be happy?
I wouldnt have a mardi gras mate but I'd give him a chance and get behind him. Comments of people saying "no way" would they back him is a joke. It's Rangers they support not the manager, a player or a chairman. Whoever is in their position get behind them.... Slaughtering them achieves nothing

I am totally against Mcleish as our manager but I can't help feel that he would at least know what he's doing a damn sight more than Murty and would have been a more sensible appointment. Mcleish is a football manager, not the best by a long shot but he is a football manager, Murty is not.

I wouldnt have a mardi gras mate but I'd give him a chance and get behind him. Comments of people saying "no way" would they back him is a joke. It's Rangers they support not the manager, a player or a chairman. Whoever is in their position get behind them.... Slaughtering them achieves nothing

I said earlier in the thread - would be a poor appointment, but better than murty. don't think folk won't get behind any manager, but patience is wearing thin, and it's more likely people will just lose interest and stop going to games rather than slaughtering anyone.

I said earlier in the thread - would be a poor appointment, but better than murty. don't think folk won't get behind any manager, but patience is wearing thin, and it's more likely people will just lose interest and stop going to games rather than slaughtering anyone.
Agree - Definately feels like the pre Souness times at Ibrox. Im no Murty fan, truth is he is being used by the board. Cheap option and the fall guy when it goes tits up

Grow up ffs, I am saying McLeish would NOT have won the treble had it not been forCeltic throwing it away, THAT IS A FACT! Did I live helicopter Sunday, of course and is one of my greatest ever as a Ranger but McLeish is NOT a great manager

No it is not a FACT.

You have the wrong season. We won the treble in 02-03. It was actually us in the driving seat all season who had a wobble towards the end.

Helicopter Sunday when Celtic were 5 points ahead with 4 games to go was 04-05.

So, try getting your FACTS right.

Grow up ffs, I am saying McLeish would NOT have won the treble had it not been forCeltic throwing it away, THAT IS A FACT! Did I live helicopter Sunday, of course and is one of my greatest ever as a Ranger but McLeish is NOT a great manager

You can't even get the seasons right. You're fucking at it.

Yes, we’re you?

Yes, I remember it well.

I assumed you maybe you didn’t live through it because when we won the treble it was down to McLeish and Rangers in 2003. No one chucked anything away. Scoring 6 on the last game of the season is how you win championships.

Don’t you agree ?

Why is McLeish such a big draw??? The guy led us to a 3rd position finish and only got a treble due to the incompetence of them across the city
That will be o neils team who cost a hell of a lot more money to put together than mcleishes squad. That will be the same celtic who constantly out spent us every season apart from one while mcleish was manager.

I agree with that but would you honestly pick an incompetent manager in McLeish, least with Murty he can learn, McLeish is set in his ways and of an era long gone
Don,t think the majority want a manager who is learning the job mate.unfortunately that is what the board have appointed.

McLeish is a step backward. Please no. We're not going to win the title this year but hopefully Murty will get us 2nd. At the end of the season they'll be more better equipped candidates to take the reins hopefully.
Optimistic loyal

McLeish is a step backward. Please no. We're not going to win the title this year but hopefully Murty will get us 2nd. At the end of the season they'll be more better equipped candidates to take the reins hopefully.
Optimistic loyal
Unfortunately murty will be lucky to get us fourth at this rate.

Thing is he properly will .the board won,t want to admit that they made a mistake in givening him the job in the first place.
What's another mistake after all their other botches? Their stock is rock bottom as it is so why not keep the shitshow rolling on

A league is won over the course of a season, not the last four games, now that is a fact, whether you agree with that or not. Also can you point out where i stated that McLeish was a great manager, whatever i think of McLeish as a manager one thing is certain i wouldn't diminish his achievement of winning a treble.

BIg Eck doesn’t want it according to the papers today. Plus a big rumour he was approached and said no.

BIg Eck doesn’t want it according to the papers today. Plus a big rumour he was approached and said no.
I believe he was approached most likely before Pedro got the gig but they were only going to offer him a short contract. Ridiculously of course they chose to back the Portuguese dud.

That's a ridiculous comment, quite frankly. Plenty people in Scotland want to rewrite history to denigrate Rangers without our fans joining in.

Alex McLeish won the first 5 trophies he competed for against a Celtic side the Scottish media proclaimed as the best since the Stein era.

In winning the SPL in the 2002-03 season, Rangers suffered only 3 defeats. This was achieved despite the absence of an out-and-out striker like Larsson (Barry Ferguson was our top scorer).

McLeish was never given the resources available to Walter Smith.

Ferguson was only top scorer as he hit penalties and Eck changed the strikers every week (Thompson and a finished Mols over Shots and RDB etc).

Also went 10 league games without a win.

Hahaha, its true is it not, were Sellick not in pole position with 4 games to go??? Not putting boot in, just showing that the support for McLeish is not warranted, especially for coming back now after years out of game

He was manager of genk in 2015 and Zamalek in 2016 not actually years is it.

Everyone goes on about his last season finishing 3rd just strange the manks were on 19 league unbeaten run and strangely enough lose 3 nil to hearts :rolleyes:

Why is McLeish such a big draw??? The guy led us to a 3rd position finish and only got a treble due to the incompetence of them across the city[/QUOTE

What a ridiculous fucking comment. I don't want McLeish but he is responsible for two of the best days I can remember as a Rangers fan

Show a bit of respect and have a word with yourself

Last edited:
Eck was my first proper, season-ticket attending, I-have-an-opinion-on-him-manager which also corresponded with me joining FF for the first time.

The amount of vitriol most on here had for him in his second and fourth seasons was exceptional.

He presided over five defeats to Celtic in 2003/4 and in 2005/6 took us to third in a two-horse race. There were demonstrations outside Ibrox, widespread condemnation of a board statement backing him and utter jubilation when it was revealed he'd been leaving.

For obvious reasons, history has been very, very kind to him, and most of us have forgotten a lot of the negative stuff - probably because the last five or so years have been so much worse.

I'm ambivalent about him coming back, but it's remarkable what the passage of time does for people's reputations.

Actually, McLeish won 6 trophies in his time at Rangers (against pretty much the best celtic team I've saw) , qualified for the last 16 of the champions league and did this by being a net spender in the transfer market. He was the beginning of our 'basket case' years and was hugely succesful, winning more head to head trophies than Martin O'Neill. Yes, he made mistakes in the last season, but the lack of respect that man has on here (and lack of knowledge about the circumstances he worked under) is dreadful. Right now, i'd love to be as unsuccesul as the Mcleish years at Ibrox. I say this as someone who doesn't want him back either.

Back