It's not about them, it's what we do that matters

Mearns Ranger

Official Ticketer
I've pretty much always thought that way, but in recent years, I have to say I've started to take a bit more notice of what they do.
I don't watch their games, but I look out for their scores now.
It concerns us, because we're fighting in a 2 horse race with them, and most importantly, last night was an absolutely massive result for us!
Forget the get it up ye and let's all laugh at Celtic. Yes it's fun, but the big thing is they just watched £30-35m float right past the disco lights on the way out of their stadium last night.
Should the unthinkable happen and they lose to AIK(their most likely opponents in the Europa) and we do manage to qualify into the groups, then you're potentially looking at a £50m swing in the finances. You could even say £65m if you look at it this way:

They lose £35m getting papped last night.
They lose £15m getting papped by AIK (hopefully)
We gain £15m getting into the groups.

I'm guessing at the £15m, but if I recall from last year, we'd have made approx.:
£4m from home gates in the 4 qualifiers
Maybe £750k for getting through each round?
£3m for group participation.
£5m for group gate money.
£1.5m in group result prize money

This makes just over £14m, but we're bound to have made some money on other things such as programme sales etc etc.

I realise you could probably say they aren't actually losing all that money, but the way I look at it is they had an opportunity at £35m. They lost it. They have an opportunity at £15m, they could lose that as well. We gain £15m by getting into the groups.
I suppose they can minimise their £35m loss by bringing in the £15m if they get to the groups, but even then, it would still be a £35m swing if we get into the groups.

Obviously don't count your chickens and all that, but I'm very confident this Rangers team is learning how to get the job done, and I think they're going to deliver.

I've pretty much always thought that way, but in recent years, I have to say I've started to take a bit more notice of what they do.
It concerns us, because we're fighting in a 2 horse race with them, and most importantly, last night was an absolutely massive result for us!
Forget the get it up ye and let's all laugh at Celtic. Yes it's fun, but the big thing is they just watched £30-35m float right past the disco lights on the way out of their stadium last night.
Should the unthinkable happen and they lose to AIK(their most likely opponents in the Europa) and we do manage to qualify into the groups, then you're potentially looking at a £50m swing in the finances. You could even say £65m if you look at it this way:

I'm guessing at the £15m, but if I recall from last year, we'd have made approx.:

This makes just over £14m, but we're bound to have made some money on other things such as programme sales etc etc.

I realise you could probably say they aren't actually losing all that money, but the way I look at it is they had an opportunity at £35m. They lost it. They have an opportunity at £15m, they could lose that as well. We gain £15m by getting into the groups.
I suppose they can minimise their £35m loss by bringing in the £15m if they get to the groups, but even then, it would still be a £35m swing if we get into the groups.

Obviously don't count your chickens and all that, but I'm very confident this Rangers team is learning how to get the job done, and I think they're going to deliver.
What did we make through tv revenue last year

Agree, brilliant post, very positive about season ahead

I heartily agree with the thread, but have to agree with @Jan Žižka , the overuse of the ellipsis has consigned it to the dustbin of FF history. Edit OP before the grammar Nazi gets you first.

I think I can be quoted on a thread last night.

I didn't even know they were playing till my son texted me, that they were oot. Doon the cluji and all that. (I would be surprised if any Scottish fc~-uk who earns a living at journalism will use that, but you never know?)

Yes, it is all about us, but we need to be realistic here. That result last night is a good one for us. They don't get the untold millions at the group stages that they need for litigation elsewhere.

It also gets the filth on the bigoted, little leprechaun's back this early.

Who needs St Johnstone and Motherwell, when you're already down the Cluji?

Attendances will plummet at the piggery whether they qualify for the Europa group stage or otherwise, and the ‘thunder’ feel-good factor that brining the bold provo Lennon back as manager was intended to achieve has completely evaporated off the back of last night.

Cue in-fighting, back-stabbing and all sorts of bile emanating from the piggery in the aftermath. All this might take is a defeat to AIK, a thrashing from us in the derby and a defeat or dropped points elsewhere and the wheels will come clean off.

It’s already starting, just look at the foaming 19th Century Terrorist frenzy of blood letting and blame in last nights aftermath.:D We of course need to keep doing what we are doing - improving but most importantly winning - but more calamities from the mentally challengeds are inextricably linked to narrowing the gap between us and financially and increasing our chances of winning 55.

It sort of is about them as well.

I would imagine if you had been able to see the face of King and Lawwell at 11 O Clock last night you would have knew that as well..

Then not making the Champions League is absolutely massive to us.

It sort of is about them as well.

I would imagine if you had been able to see the face of King and Lawwell at 11 O Clock last night you would have knew that as well..

Then not making the Champions League is absolutely massive to us.
Course it’s about them. They have to come back to the pack. The more they do, the less improvement we have to make.

Well given there is a 50 page thread and numerous other threads on them it would appear to some other posters it is about them.

The sale of Tierney covers the shortfall like Dembele did last year.

Whether he's the last "star" to leave this window looks up for discussion again...

Class how much it dents the value of their players as well, and it does.

If they made the CL and an Eduoard turned up with a few goals that would have put a few more million on his value.

If they had been able to sell a player for a few extra million that utterly does impact on us.

The fact that they've lost in the region of 50/60m over the last 2 Champions League qualifiers is huge in our attempt to close the gap.
While the sales of Dembele and Tierney soften the blow they are still losing good players and it looks like their new signings aren't particularly great?
I'd expect a couple of signings from them over the next week or so to try and calm down their support.

The sale of Tierney covers the shortfall like Dembele did last year.

Whether he's the last "star" to leave this window looks up for discussion again...
Does the value of their players fall now? Can they be classed as stars given they’ve just been papped out the Champions League vs a team ranked lower than Aberdeen?

Serious question.

We keep hearing that Celtic players have proved their value in Europe, so thats why they get top dollar for them - but now what?

Lennon probably sees less of a transfer budget now. They need a number of players and there is no way Lennon is getting every signing right. They will need time to settle and the CL standard players will no longer be interested. Let's hope they panic buy.

Lennon then has to find a set up for them, he's already on a ledge after last night's set up, formation, tactics, result.

We've just got to remain focused, one game at a time and feet on the ground. Us winning matches puts pressure on them. Let's see how they handle pressure - this is the first time in a long time they will have experienced it and Lennon isn't exactly ice cool.

Gerrard and co don't seem the type to get excited and blow their load prematurely. Feet will remain on the ground, focus on on match at a time, continue to improve and be the best we can - standards.

If we can add a little bit more quality in the transfer market then we are in a really strong position. We won't get a better opportunity to end their dominance.

Back