It's still down to money and squad quality

DylanGer

A lot of debate on what's went wrong but really it's simple we are not as good as many thought we are and their strength and depth has allowed them to bounce back.

We went into the season relying on younger players including a 7M investment in Kent-a few established players whose credentials are not of veteran winners and a few real deal players who are at the wrong end of their careers. We've tried to bolster the squad with the best quality we can get with the budget we have.

In the main the signings have been good and next to no one on here balked at 7M on Kent even though common sense and experience would tell you he is still developing. I said at the time putting all our eggs in one basket probably meant we couldn't review in January and spend again-whilst Hagi was something of a rabbit out of a hat he was always going to need time to adjust and develop.

Of course SG isn't bomb proof and of course he has made mistakes. I would have liked a genuine third better quality striker for the very reasons we've seen recently but he has also made a lot of decisions that have worked out better than I would thought they would. The fact he can't draw on massive experience and is not yet adept at changing games-is what you get with a young inexperienced manager.

I was talking to a Bear of a similar vintage to myself after the Killie result who is at breaking point -whilst he couldn't come up with an alternative to SG his mindset is that he is a dead man walking and thinks that is justified.

Ultimately the gap SG inherited has been under estimated by most of the support and we remain absolutely 100% reliant on what they do. To not consider they can continue to regroup with their better power base is folly. But many don't want to face that reality.

For me the sensible way forward is to get behind the manager-a change in strategy now isn't going to fast track success-he has made strides forward and now he really needs to cement some stability during the rest of the season. The support will not take too many other setbacks and will ignore the gap in overall terms we've created over the rest of the league. We've fallen recently because everything negative has came together at the one time-with no genuine squad depth there is no magic solution.

He as an individual is very clued up l I'd be very surprised if he's the guy to lurch through too many crises because he'll know overall he's done a pretty good job probably as good as you could expect considering his budget and experience. The modern fan seems even more demanding and unreasonable from a support who do not do "no success".

Imagine where we would have been this season without the European cash or indeed the form of Barisic or indeed Alfie's golden spell. It could have been a lot worse in the short term and indeed financially we could have been a lot worse off.

Time for the support to dig in a bit I think and realise the alternative may well play into our enemies hands. At the same time SG has to get the train back on the tracks.

To be honest when you spend circa £20,000,000 in transfer fees alone in a league in which the average transfer fee (outside of us and them) tends to be around 50 to 150 thousand it's clear we really shouldn’t be dropping 8 points in short space of time to Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and Hearts.

Yes over the course of a season we’ll have bad games and drop points but to completely collapse from a good position two seasons in a row isn’t good enough.

We’ve also signed around 35 players so if the squad isn’t good enough you’ve got to look at the signing policy.

Last edited:
To be honest when you spend circa £20,000,000 in transfer fees alone in a league in which the average fees (outside of us and them) tend to be around 50 to 150 thousand we shouldn’t be dropping 8 points in short space of time to Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and Hearts. Yes over the course of a season we’ll have bad games and drop points but to completely collapse from a good position two seasons in a row isn’t good enough.

We’ve also signed around 35 players so if the squad isn’t good enough you’ve got to look at the signing policy.

Walter drew 0-0 three games in a row with one of his multi millions pound squads. Shit happens

Good post DG. As much as it may hurt to say goodbye to Alfie and Barisic in the summer, their potential transfer fees could let us have a squad full of quality, instead of the usual 15 we rely on. I’d trust Wilson and our scouting department to find us a good level of player.

It’s very difficult to galvanise a big support. we read rallying type messages on here but they don’t reach the majority or resonate with enough fans. the moans and groans and undue criticism towards our players during matches always prevails. it’s quite depressing at times.

I think the truth of where we are is as a result of a little bit of all the reasons everyone's listed.

What is very clear is that Celtic have a much stronger squad than us. You only need to look at their recent results and see the variety of players and positions chipping in goals for them. They're not entirely dependent on one man up front. Their centrebacks score often. Midfielders seem to chip in with goals in every game.

With hindsight £7m on Kent was an incredibly wasteful use of resources.

We could afford a luxury signing like that if we had a £20m budget. We didn’t.

We improved the first XI in summer but not the squad. That £7m should have been spent on 3/4 players.

We could get maybe £35-40m for the two of them. Maybe add Kamara to that and could be nearly £50m.

Reinvesting half of that wisely in the squad could get us 5 or 6 real top players.

I don't want to see too much disruption but it's the way we need to go. Cash in when players value is at it's highest. Another few European goals for Alfie and good performances at the Euros for the other 2 will be the peak time to sell to maximise the fees.

To be honest when you spend circa £20,000,000 in transfer fees alone in a league in which the average fees (outside of us and them) tend to be around 50 to 150 thousand we shouldn’t be dropping 8 points in short space of time to Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and Hearts. Yes over the course of a season we’ll have bad games and drop points but to completely collapse from a good position two seasons in a row isn’t good enough.

Yes but there is clear light between us and the rest of the league....and Celtic continually outspend us by a large margin. Where else would you expect to be but 2nd?

The points have been lost in a short space of time because we've lost 3 to 5 key players-three of which were near to our best players and 2 others who have been important this season. Without the overall squad quality with those fit and healthy off form you are bust. That's what's happened.

Where you happy with the Kent signing? Most were. Rebuilding takes time and we have clearly improved in overall terms with some 22M coming our way we very probably shouldn't have expected.

The mantra of it should be better has to backed up with facts-Celtic spent around half our spend on a single player.

We could get maybe £35-40m for the two of them. Maybe add Kamara to that and could be nearly £50m.

Reinvesting half of that wisely in the squad could get us 5 or 6 real top players.

I don't want to see too much disruption but it's the way we need to go. Cash in when players value is at it's highest. Another few European goals for Alfie and good performances at the Euros for the other 2 will be the peak time to sell to maximise the fees.

You really think Kamara is worth 10M? Is that type of thinking that's got fans on the top of buildings in the first place.

No it’s not.

Yes they are.

We have been horrendous and massively off the pace since the break. There’s no denying it.

But if Beaton done his job properly on Wednesday then would would have won that game. That is 100% fact. If Beaton had done his job at Pittodrie and we converted the penalty we were denied then we would have won that game. That again is 100% fact.

If the officials done their job properly in the LC final then there is every chance we would have won that cup.

When was the last time the filth were robbed by refs?

As I said, there is no doubt that we have had a few horror shows like the Hearts game, but if officials were doing their jobs properly, this season would look a lot different.

We would be looking at a couple of points gap with a game in hand and potentially a trophy in the bag.

A lot of our support just can’t seem to grasp how much officials are impacting our season.

SFA officials are the main reason for Celtc's current points lead.

There have been 100% some grim decisions against us.

However there are strong parallels between us and the Tims say under Burns when they were nearly there and were looking for that break that would make a difference-happens in every sport when you are just that bit short to look for...excuses frankly.

Of course many agree with you and I accept that.

I disagree, forgetting the obvious blips which happen over the course of a season, dropping 5 points to the bottom club is unforgivable, squad depth and finance should be enough for Rangers to blow the whipping boys out of the equation.

I posted something very similar on Wednesday night after the game. Spend the money on guys from outside the English league who have actually won titles and cups. Aim at those with a year left on their deal and all of a sudden you’re getting a £5m player for half that at the most.

There is no alternative to getting fully behind the manager.

I've not met anyone who wants SG gone. The only people I've seen mention it are attention seeking halfwits on twitter.

The league is not over, in my mind at least. As an example, on the off-chance the Paedo-Harbourers draw against the Sheep today - and assuming we win - then it's down to 8 points and we're looking at just a 5 point gap if we win our game in hand.

The football fan over the course of a season should be a case study in psychology. They illustrate the whole gamut of what it is to be human. The joy and the pain; a 10 month timeframe punctuated by moments of ecstatic rapture that swell into outright bliss or collapse into near-terminal misery.

Let's wait and see.

But until then, there's fu*k all that a logical, rational Rangers supporter will do but back their team to the hilt.

Palace were willing to pay £11m for him.

Personally don't believe we'd have turned that down or it would have been offered but maybe you are right. In my opinion he's absolutely nowhere near that but of course English clubs can sometimes jump in with big money.

I would have took it and reinvested in January if true.

Good post DG. As much as it may hurt to say goodbye to Alfie and Barisic in the summer, their potential transfer fees could let us have a squad full of quality, instead of the usual 15 we rely on. I’d trust Wilson and our scouting department to find us a good level of player.

We need to get rid of this idea that selling players is a bad thing.

The right sales could see SG be able to bring in 3, 4, 5 upgrades in the starting XI.

Yes but there is clear light between us and the rest of the league....and Celtic continually outspend us by a large margin. Where else would you expect to be but 2nd?

The points have been lost in a short space of time because we've lost 3 to 5 key players-three of which were near to our best players and 2 others who have been important this season. Without the overall squad quality with those fit and healthy off form you are bust. That's what's happened.

Where you happy with the Kent signing? Most were. Rebuilding takes time and we have clearly improved in overall terms with some 22M coming our way we very probably shouldn't have expected.

The mantra of it should be better has to backed up with facts-Celtic spent around half our spend on a single player.

Yes they’ve spent a lot of money but about £6m of that was on two complete donkeys in the January window and a lot of the signings they made last summer are suspect to say the least. It’s still pretty much the core of the side Rodgers had 4 years ago so it’s not like Lennon has filled the side with £5m signings in every position.

Also we’ve played them off the park twice in a row now and have a similar head to head record over the last 18 months which would indicate that they aren’t light years ahead of us.

For whatever reason we can’t beat sides regularly who have wage bills 15-20 million lower than ours.

I disagree, forgetting the obvious blips which happen over the course of a season, dropping 5 points to the bottom club is unforgivable, squad depth and finance should be enough for Rangers to blow the whipping boys out of the equation.

Rangers teams that were winners and better than this team always drop points to lesser teams and went out of cups etc...and it will always happen.

Personally don't believe we'd have turned that down or it would have been offered but maybe you are right. In my opinion he's absolutely nowhere near that but of course English clubs can sometimes jump in with big money.

I would have took it and reinvested in January if true.
It was never an official offer to the club mate but they sounded him out and said how much they were willing to pay etc. Good Euros and we could get a right good fee for Kamara

There is no alternative to getting fully behind the manager.

I've not met anyone who wants SG gone. The only people I've seen mention it are attention seeking halfwits on twitter.

The league is not over, in my mind at least. As an example, on the off-chance the Paedo-Harbourers draw against the Sheep today - and assuming we win - then it's down to 8 points and we're looking at just a 5 point gap if we win our game in hand.

The football fan over the course of a season should be a case study in psychology. They illustrate the whole gamut of what it is to be human. The joy and the pain; a 10 month timeframe punctuated by moments of ecstatic rapture that swell into outright bliss or collapse into near-terminal misery.

Let's wait and see.

But until then, there's fu*k all that a logical, rational Rangers supporter will do but back their team to the hilt.

I would agree the league is not over. However current form for both clubs certainly makes any kind of change look unlikely at this stage in proceedings. We could do with a break.

All very sensible but the reality is if we drop any more points in the next few weeks then the pressure on Gerrard will ramp up even more, justified or not.

Nobody wants to hear about budgets and squad strength when they're going for 9 and 10 in a row. I wish we would look at it logically and consider where we were but we wont, we want results and we want them yesterday.

I think the truth of where we are is as a result of a little bit of all the reasons everyone's listed.

What is very clear is that Celtic have a much stronger squad than us. You only need to look at their recent results and see the variety of players and positions chipping in goals for them. They're not entirely dependent on one man up front. Their centrebacks score often. Midfielders seem to chip in with goals in every game.

I would say the with gritted teeth that Edward has been the difference.

I think and have said since January that we are 2 players behind them - Hagi May make it one player but time will tell

I would agree the league is not over. However current form for both clubs certainly makes any kind of change look unlikely at this stage in proceedings. We could do with a break.

Agree completely.

Form though, by it's very nature, is temporary... And there's a good 3 months left. A lot can change. Let's hope we start to get the rub of the green, and the other lot don't - fu*k knows a wee change is due on that front.

Yes they’ve spent a lot of money but about £6m of that was on two complete donkeys in the January window and a lot of the signings they made last summer are suspect to say the least. It’s still pretty much the core of the side Rodgers had 4 years ago so it’s not like Lennon has filled the side with £5m signings in every position.

Also we’ve played them off the park twice in a row now and have a similar head to head record over the last 18 months which would indicate that they aren’t light years ahead of us.

For whatever reason we can’t beat sides regularly who have wage bills 15-20 million lower than ours.

Yes but they have had genuine quality in reserve and that's the difference. They can watch a N'tchim or indeed a Thumbheid disappear or have a Rogic MIA and they can rotate better.

That gives you the consistency and indeed takes pressure off individuals who are off form...we need in the main to play them through it....when they are as young as some of ours that is always going one way.

Their players overall now have settled and have better experience to draw on personally and collectively.

Walter drew 0-0 three games in a row with one of his multi millions pound squads. Shit happens

The standard of the likes of Aberdeen and Hearts now compared to WS time isn’t really comparable.

The 3rd best side in the SPFL last season lost to a Welsh part time team. We’ve also dropped 5 points to a hearts side that regularly get annihilated pretty much every week, Celtic having more money to spend doesn’t give us an out ball against poor performances last against utter dross.

All very sensible but the reality is if we drop any more points in the next few weeks then the pressure on Gerrard will ramp up even more, justified or not.

Nobody wants to hear about budgets and squad strength when they're going for 9 and 10 in a row. I wish we would look at it logically and consider where we were but we wont, we want results and we want then yesterday.

Of course that's the case 100%. It will not help us though but we are what we are.

Agree completely, we just don't have a strong enough squad over the course of a league season.

There's no magic money tree for us though, I think the board do as well as they possibly can.

A sensible and measured post that sums up the situation well.
Steven Gerrard deserves a full third season, especially as we have exceeded expectations in Europe in both of his first two seasons in charge.
I also think we underestimate the effect that the lack of income from merchandise has had on funds available for players.

The standard of the likes of Aberdeen and Hearts now compared to WS time isn’t really comparable.

The 3rd best side in the SPFL last season lost to a Welsh part time team. We’ve also dropped 5 points to a hearts side that regularly get annihilated pretty much every week, Celtic having more money to spend doesn’t give us an out ball against poor performance last against utter dross.

But it is the gap squad wise between us and them that makes that happen. Our current squad is nowhere near in relative terms the squads of yesteryear excluding the rebuilding of course.

You say that... but football has never been as simple as : my squads worth more than yours so hand over the 3 points.

Losing points to killie, aberdeen and hearts actually sounds like the games that are MOST acceptable to lose points to! Not nice, but we're only a season or so since routinely dropping points to actual minnows!

The 3rd best side in the SPFL last season lost to a Welsh part time team. We’ve also dropped 5 points to a hearts side that regularly get annihilated pretty much every week, Celtic having more money to spend doesn’t give us an out ball against poor performance last against utter dross.

Was the standard that much better back in the day ?

Aberdeen went from finishing 2nd in 93/94 to avoiding relegation in the play offs a year later, losing to Skonto Riga in Europe and Stenhousemuir in the cup.

Same season - We lost to Motherwell home and away, Celtic home and away, Drew with Thistle in 2 games, didn't beat Falkirk in 3 games at Ibrox, shipped 4 goals in the cup at Tynecastle.

Yet won the league by 15 points(wrapped up by Easter) despite winning just over half our games. The standard was shit back then. Motherwell finished 2nd by winning 14 games out of 36(!)

Yes but they have had genuine quality in reserve and that's the difference. They can watch a N'tchim or indeed a Thumbheid disappear or have a Rogic MIA and they can rotate better.

That gives you the consistency and indeed takes pressure off individuals who are off form...we need in the main to play them through it....when they are as young as some of ours that is always going one way.

Their players overall now have settled and have better experience to draw on personally and collectively.

Again I’ll make the argument that no matter how much Celtic spend that doesn’t give us an excuse to get beaten by a god awful Hearts side.

A side that’s not won a league game in 2020 outside of beating us and have conceded 13 goals in their last 4 games.

How does Celtic having more money mean anything in that circumstance?

Last edited:
Yes they are.

We have been horrendous and massively off the pace since the break. There’s no denying it.

But if Beaton done his job properly on Wednesday then would would have won that game. That is 100% fact. If Beaton had done his job at Pittodrie and we converted the penalty we were denied then we would have won that game. That again is 100% fact.

If the officials done their job properly in the LC final then there is every chance we would have won that cup.

When was the last time the filth were robbed by refs?

As I said, there is no doubt that we have had a few horror shows like the Hearts game, but if officials were doing their jobs properly, this season would look a lot different.

We would be looking at a couple of points gap with a game in hand and potentially a trophy in the bag.

A lot of our support just can’t seem to grasp how much officials are impacting our season.
mentally challengeds still go on about SC/SF v Inverness

We improved the first XI in summer but not the squad. That £7m should have been spent on 3/4 players.
I thought at the time it would be better spending the £7m on either 3 players around £2m to improve the squad massively or 2 players around £3.5m/£4m for first team prob striker and attacking central midfielder. The wages involved might be the problem with that so hopefully can remove more squad players to free up wages and then buy 3/4 better quality players around £3m if the budget is similar this summer. This would really improve first team squad and hopefully give the manager options on who plays rather than sticking with the same player when they are going through a bad spell.

There's still a big gap between us and them when it comes to money and refereeing standards.

Yes we have spent a lot but let's not forget they have had many years to strengthen in depth and have had years of CL football to build up the bank. Our starting 11 walks all over theres when fully fit, the last few games have shown that. The main difference comes from the fact they have more money and can afford to have a bench full of 20 grand a week players that although there is a drop in difference, it's slight. That's what a £60m wage bill gets you.

Us on the other hand have a strong starting 11 but our bench is weak and we can't realy afford to put bench/rotation players on 20 plus grand a week.

won't even get started on the refereeing.

I still believe Gerrard is the man for the job and the last few weeks haven't changed that. He has my 100% backing. But the main thing, for next season, he has to sit down with his backroom staff and figure out a way to beat Killie and Aberdeen because fucking hell, this is really starting to take the piss now.

Of course that's the case 100%. It will not help us though but we are what we are.

It's a shame because Gerrard seems like a clear step up from the last few managers but he can only work with what we've got. Despite the massive strides forward it has the potential to be another acrimonious exit and another manager coming in tasked with another rebuild then we're truly fúcked. It is what it is though, while they continue to win trebles then we'll continue to judge managers on not winning trophies.

The difference was, kent knew the league and was proven in it. Unknowns don't so that £7m could go to complete waste.

Add onto the fact since Kent was already here he knows the wages we can give out and he won't be dropping any, so despite him being £7m, he's not on a £7m players wages - if we spent that £7m elsewhere the wages would be a lot higher I'd reckon and with a bigger risk.

I said at the time, £7m was a lot of money but it could be worth it as we'll get that money back and he's proven in the league. Not sure I was entirely wrong back then but I agree he has to do more and go back to his form last season.

Was the standard that much better back in the day ?

Aberdeen went from finishing 2nd in 93/94 to avoiding relegation in the play offs a year later, losing to Skonto Riga in Europe and Stenhousemuir in the cup.

Same season - We lost to Motherwell home and away, Celtic home and away, Drew with Thistle in 2 games, didn't beat Falkirk in 3 games at Ibrox, shipped 4 goals in the cup at Tynecastle.

Yet won the league by 15 points(wrapped up by Easter) despite winning just over half our games. The standard was shit back then. Motherwell finished 2nd by winning 14 games out of 36(!)

93/94 was a weird season though. Motherwell would have won the league probably if we didn't have Hateley.

Agree with the bulk of the original post , but Stevie G has to learn ASAP he’s handed too much game time to some ( ojo , particularly ) even Barker flanno, even Aribo, who I really like but is a developer still . While ignoring Docherty , Jones and to a lesser extent Stewart .

Stevie G has improved us and we should stick with him to a man and hope he’s learned from the odd error he was bound to make .

Rangers teams that were winners and better than this team always drop points to lesser teams and went out of cups etc...and it will always happen.

massive difference is, by and large those Rangers team won when it really mattered, which is why they were successful.

A lot of debate on what's went wrong but really it's simple we are not as good as many thought we are and their strength and depth has allowed them to bounce back.

We went into the season relying on younger players including a 7M investment in Kent-a few established players whose credentials are not of veteran winners and a few real deal players who are at the wrong end of their careers. We've tried to bolster the squad with the best quality we can get with the budget we have.

In the main the signings have been good and next to no one on here balked at 7M on Kent even though common sense and experience would tell you he is still developing. I said at the time putting all our eggs in one basket probably meant we couldn't review in January and spend again-whilst Hagi was something of a rabbit out of a hat he was always going to need time to adjust and develop.

Of course SG isn't bomb proof and of course he has made mistakes. I would have liked a genuine third better quality striker for the very reasons we've seen recently but he has also made a lot of decisions that have worked out better than I would thought they would. The fact he can't draw on massive experience and is not yet adept at changing games-is what you get with a young inexperienced manager.

I was talking to a Bear of a similar vintage to myself after the Killie result who is at breaking point -whilst he couldn't come up with an alternative to SG his mindset is that he is a dead man walking and thinks that is justified.

Ultimately the gap SG inherited has been under estimated by most of the support and we remain absolutely 100% reliant on what they do. To not consider they can continue to regroup with their better power base is folly. But many don't want to face that reality.

For me the sensible way forward is to get behind the manager-a change in strategy now isn't going to fast track success-he has made strides forward and now he really needs to cement some stability during the rest of the season. The support will not take too many other setbacks and will ignore the gap in overall terms we've created over the rest of the league. We've fallen recently because everything negative has came together at the one time-with no genuine squad depth there is no magic solution.

He as an individual is very clued up l I'd be very surprised if he's the guy to lurch through too many crises because he'll know overall he's done a pretty good job probably as good as you could expect considering his budget and experience. The modern fan seems even more demanding and unreasonable from a support who do not do "no success".

Imagine where we would have been this season without the European cash or indeed the form of Barisic or indeed Alfie's golden spell. It could have been a lot worse in the short term and indeed financially we could have been a lot worse off.

Time for the support to dig in a bit I think and realise the alternative may well play into our enemies hands. At the same time SG has to get the train back on the tracks.
My issue is and always has been the money spent on our bigger outlays.The lesser amounts spent have been to various degrees for me,quite successful.
Katic,Barasic,Edmundson,Kamara,Davis,Aribo,Arfield,Defoe and Stewart have all contributed positively for not much money at all really.

Goldson and Grezda were questionable,albeit the former is capable of some very good performances a fair chunk of the time to be fair.
But ten million on Kent and Helander was not a wise use of the funds we had,I said as much at the time and was rounded upon for being somewhat of a doom-monger.

I just wish I had been bloody wrong.

Back