ITV Goal of the Season 1983

He was a very good commentator, some great goals, classic old grounds as well, id say A Chiedozie were all terrific though last one was possibly more down to poor standard of keeper.

Good thread dh, i remember a few of these goals not all though just shows english league has always been the best in the world. :)

Loved the fact that it wasn't all First Division goals. Apart from Case's Semi-final goal both Chelsea and Fulham were in Division 2 if memory serves me right.

Loved Southampton's navy/sky blue away kit.

I think it's Chiedoze's goal A.

Shades of THAT Justin Fashanu goal.

Can't believe there isn't a Hoddle or Dalglish goal that year though.

I loved O'Neill in those days. Great captain of his country. I couldn't have imagined the loving would turn to loathing.

Jeez. Some nice goals, but nothing to write home about. The difference dry pitches, a better ball and more athletic players make.
A highlight reel of Ryan Kent would make that lot look like KG5 on a Saturday morning

Several of the teams featured have fallen on some real hard times. Grimsby, Notts County , Cambridge and Luton all spent time at the botttom tier and 2 still not back

Clive Allen.
One of my favourite strikers of the day.
I think his longest goal drought was something like six games?
Palace to Arsenal to Spurs (was this the correct order?) in about three days!

Clive Allen.
One of my favourite strikers of the day.
I think his longest goal drought was something like six games?
Palace to Arsenal to Spurs (was this the correct order?) in about three days!
He played for Arsenal against us at Ibrox in a preseason game. Didn't they sell him to Crystal Palace before he went to Spurs?

He played for Arsenal against us at Ibrox in a preseason game. Didn't they sell him to Crystal Palace before he went to Spurs?

Arsenal bought him for £1.25m from QPR and then swapped him for Kenny Sansom at Palace before he played a competitive game for them

Arsenal bought him for £1.25m from QPR and then swapped him for Kenny Sansom at Palace before he played a competitive game for them
QPR to Arsenal to Palace to QPR in less than two years.
My line about his goalscoring looks a bit dubious mind you.

Goal F - Clive Allen for QPR. What a fantastic touch to take the ball over the defender.

Goal A was a close second for me.

It was indeed mate.

King Richard was their captain ahead of Mabbutt and Hoddle.
Not many better “leaders of men” than Gough.
I though Hoddle a terrific footballer and Mabbutt a very good defender but nowhere near Gough as a captain.
I remember the Souness interview upon signing Gough and part of the interview was “we’ve taken their captain”!
Superb put down.

Reactions: SDF
Not many better “leaders of men” than Gough.
I though Hoddle a terrific footballer and Mabbutt a very good defender but nowhere near Gough as a captain.
I remember the Souness interview upon signing Gough and part of the interview was “we’ve taken their captain”!
Superb put down.

We offered Dundee United more money for Gough than Spurs did and United refused to sell him to us. Jim McLean tried to put a clause in the deal with Spurs that they couldn't sell him to us because he knew what was going to happen.

Spurs chased him.

I remember the story well, bud.
Yet, back in the day, guess who was getting stick for “not signing Scottish talent, not keeping the money in the Scottish game”.

Clive Allan or goal A. Think this goes to show why comparing over eras is not great. That would be a poor goal of the month now days in the EPL. A few could have played in any era like Best or Maradona etc. but think half of the players from yesteryear could not have hacked it now days.

We offered Dundee United more money for Gough than Spurs did and United refused to sell him to us. Jim McLean tried to put a clause in the deal with Spurs that they couldn't sell him to us because he knew what was going to happen.

Spurs chased him.

What a horrible wee character McLean was.

That Notts County v Luton game must have been a fun one to be at.
Gonna go all Rangers da’ here, but honestly, football was miles better to watch back in those days.
When men were men, tackles were tackles and offside and handball were understood. But pitches were shite apart from 2 months of the season.

A few could have played in any era like Best or Maradona etc. but think half of the players from yesteryear could not have hacked it now days.
Sorry but rubbish. Even with better training, coaching, pitches, rule changes to protect ball players we still have dross that look like they were kidnapped off a public park game a few hours before.

Anyone with talent would do fine and probably better now. Especially those that maybe weren't physically or mentally tough enough back then.

Sorry but rubbish. Even with better training, coaching, pitches, rule changes to protect ball players we still have dross that look like they were kidnapped off a public park game a few hours before.

Anyone with talent would do fine and probably better now. Especially those that maybe weren't physically or mentally tough enough back then.
Agree with this
If you take the old players at their peak, put them in a time machine and transport them to the present day then they'd struggle - a few geniuses apart
However the reverse is also true. Take even Ronaldo, drop him into the Man Utd team of the 70s and put him into face Leeds on a mud heap in January
He wouldn't be doing too many drag backs after Bremner/Giles/Hunter or whoever had put him on his arse in the first two minutes.
But take any of them as children, bring them up in the contemporary culture and the vast majority would still make it
Neither is better they are just different

Agree with this
If you take the old players at their peak, put them in a time machine and transport them to the present day then they'd struggle - a few geniuses apart
However the reverse is also true. Take even Ronaldo, drop him into the Man Utd team of the 70s and put him into face Leeds on a mud heap in January
He wouldn't be doing too many drag backs after Bremner/Giles/Hunter or whoever had put him on his arse in the first two minutes.
But take any of them as children, bring them up in the contemporary culture and the vast majority would still make it
Neither is better they are just different
The modern day players are certainly better “athletes” due to better diet, training regimes etc. But are they necessarily better footballers? I don’t think so.

Rule changes such as offside, pass back law etc have made it easier to score in the modern game. In earlier times, the remotest sniff of offside and the flag went up, no questions asked.

in general football was much more direct in the 70s and 80s. I wonder how modern day defenders used to the more studied, possession based approach from attackers would have coped.

Back