Jaap Stam - Rangers kick you in half

Galstonian Oranje

Official Ticketer
coach Jaap Stam of Feyenoord during the UEFA Europa League match between Glasgow Rangers v Feyenoord at the Ibrox Stadium on September 19, 2019 in Glasgow United Kingdom
Jaap Stam has taken aim at Rangers’ apparent rough-house tactics after Feyenoord’s Europa League defeat at Ibrox, claiming in an interview with Fox that Steven Gerrard’s side were more than happy to kick his team ‘in half’ in pursuit of a vital three points.

A stunning first half strike from Sheyi Ojo was enough to seal an opening day win for Rangers in front of a raucous Ibrox crowd and it could have been more with the hosts missing a number of glorious chances, including a penalty which James Tavernier fired wide.

Subscribe

Advertisement

Advertisement
But the Glasgow giants certainly had to show a streetwise streak as Feyenoord threatened to silence the home support in the second 45, with Gerrard’s team picking up four yellow cards and making 14 fouls compared to eight from the Rotterdammers.

Speaking after the game, a visibly frustrated Stam took aim at Rangers’ tactics before admitting that, on reflection, perhaps a rather flat Feyenoord need to take inspiration from a side willing to throw their bodies on the line for a win.

"In the end you know that you have to go into the duels with conviction,” said the former Manchester United defender, who was no stranger to an aggressive approach in his playing days.

“(Rangers) kick you in half. Ultimately, that is something we have to learn from. That is not in our nature, but sometimes you need that in international football.”

(L-R) Eric Botteghin of Feyenoord, Rick Karsdorp of Feyenoord, Kenneth Vermeer of Feyenoord during the UEFA Europa League match between Glasgow Rangers v Feyenoord at the Ibrox Stadium...

It was a performance full of maturity from a Rangers side who have been transformed into a shrewd and battle-hardened European outfit since Steven Gerrard, a Champions League winning captain with Liverpool, arrived at Ibrox.

SEE ALSO: Left out again; 27-year-old is out-of-favour already after leaving Rangers
The days of Pedro Caixinha pleading with fans, knee deep in shrubbery after defeat to the fourth-best team in Luxembourg, feel like lightyears away.

Wonder if he's talking more about tactical fouling and willing to force yourself into one and the translation makes it seem like he thinks we kicked lumps out of them. City get some grief for their tactical fouling as well, it's smart to do if the ref won't book you every time you do it

I have no complaint about his statement because we were aggressive, especially in the first 45. We were like a team possessed. But if anyone thinks it means we can’t play football then they need to watch us in full flow.
We could’ve had them out of sight and embarrassed in that opening half.

We were tremendous, there’s not a player I would fault. They all gave everything they had for the team, the fans and Fernando imo.
They hassled and harried some very talented footballers into making mistakes and pounced on them.
We lacked quality at points in the second half mainly due to running on empty. But to a man every player played a pivotal part in a big European win.

I’d be fairly certain the ‘kick you in half’ phrase was lost in translation and probably points to our aggression and high pressing tactics.

He’s saying we fought for everything.

Not sure about that, the bit where he says it's not in their nature makes it seem like a dig.

I don't think he's actually saying it as a criticism of us tbh, rather that his own team have to get stuck in more.
That's how I read it,we were committed to the challenge exemplified by the barisic tackle for the goal which was a 60/40 tackle in their player's favour but he went for it full on and won the ball.

Sram would run through a brick wall to win a ball and I think he is frustrated his players appeared to be unwilling to do the same.

What a pathetic comment, there were no bad fouls during the game and they gave as good as they got and had plenty of yellow cards

Expected better from Stam

I didn't actually think there was that many fouls, certainly not 'kicking in half'.

Rich coming from Stam as well, who was a dirty bastard! :D

someone said it first but, compared to what we put up with against Motherwell Aberdeen, they got off lightly. every good team has steel and grit in it. didn't see any real dirty tackles going in.

Knowing how he played i'm guessing this is just a poor translation and he's saying we were tougher than them and they couldn't react

Back