Jack and Aribo - inverted FBs?

AriseSirWalter

Official Ticketer
Expect all sorts of abuse but we’re too reliant on set pieces and don’t create enough chances from open play. I’m sure that’ll improve once Kent is back but we’ll still be too slow in getting the ball forward.

Tav and Borna were our biggest threat last season but for whatever reason it’s not happening this season. So we need more threat through the middle.

If we had two midfielders as inverted FBs it would allow them to step into midfield beside one of Davis, Lundstrum or Kamara and the other two midfield spots could be Hagi and Bacuna with Roofe, Morelos and Kent up front.

McLaughlin
Jack Goldson Balogun Aribo
Hagi Lundstrum Bacuna
Roofe Morelos Kent

Then when on the ball....

McLaughlin
Goldson Balogun
Jack Lundstrum Aribo
Hagi Bacuna
Roofe Morelos Kent

Or Wright instead of Bacuna.

Roll on the ‘that’s plenty’, ‘time for bed’ posts.

No sure what’s going on there

I never want to see Morelos and roofe start a game again . Don’t feel it benefits either player

Barring tonight we've made enough chances to win most games comfortably, what are you on about? We've just had strikers uncharacteristically missing loads of chances and our defence uncharacteristically giving away loads of goals.

Barring tonight we've made enough chances to win most games comfortably, what are you on about? We've just had strikers uncharacteristically missing loads of chances and our defence uncharacteristically giving away loads of goals.

We’ve only just started creating chances in the last few games.

How many goals have we scored from open play?

What stats tell you otherwise?

Until the last few games our xG has been poor.
Shots at goal and shots on target obviously, and I've watched us play, we've made plenty of chances.

You talked about chances created which isn't the same thing as xG. In any case you're talking nonsense in the first post.

A2-B3-E66-A-DA7-E-408-D-8-BB2-37519-CD625-A8.gif

Shots at goal and shots on target obviously, and I've watched us play, we've made plenty of chances.

You talked about chances created which isn't the same thing as xG. In any case you're talking nonsense in the first post.
Shots at goal and shots on target don’t tell you anything about the quality of chances though, do they? I could hit a shot from the half way line but I’m not going to score from it.

xG is a measure of the quality of chances created.

Many goals we scored from open play?!

Shots at goal and shots on target don’t tell you anything about the quality of chances though, do they? I could hit a shot from the half way line but I’m not going to score from it.

xG is a measure of the quality of chances created.

Many goals we scored from open play?!
It doesn't matter. Playing midfielders as inverted full backs isn't the solution.

Gerrard gave a hint of where he thinks the problem area(s) are in the side, and it's not up front; neither in terms of quality, nor in effort.

Expect all sorts of abuse but we’re too reliant on set pieces and don’t create enough chances from open play. I’m sure that’ll improve once Kent is back but we’ll still be too slow in getting the ball forward.

Tav and Borna were our biggest threat last season but for whatever reason it’s not happening this season. So we need more threat through the middle.

If we had two midfielders as inverted FBs it would allow them to step into midfield beside one of Davis, Lundstrum or Kamara and the other two midfield spots could be Hagi and Bacuna with Roofe, Morelos and Kent up front.

McLaughlin
Hagi Lundstrum Bacuna
Roofe Morelos Kent

McLaughlin
Goldson Balogun
Jack Lundstrum Aribo
Hagi Bacuna
Roofe Morelos Kent

How’s your pet unicorn doing mate?

For what it’s worth I actually think Aribo has the attributes to make a good full back
Both could do a job at FB but the idea would be to dominate possession and get the two of them into midfield giving us 5 in midfield (2 creative) and 3 forwards.

Both could do a job at FB but the idea would be to dominate possession and get the two of them into midfield giving us 5 in midfield (2 creative) and 3 forwards.
Don’t think it would work tbh mate, would leave us far too open at the back, we have already showed we’re vulnerable to both pressing and big switches up the park

Don’t think it would work tbh mate, would leave us far too open at the back, we have already showed we’re vulnerable to both pressing and big switches up the park

I think it’d be worth trying against lesser teams but agree it could leave us exposed.

Just feel we need to try something different as it feels like teams have ‘figured us out’ a little. The big switch being the prime example.

We do create chances, we’re not clinical enough to put them away, hence 18 shots last night but only 4 on target one of which was a penalty. That is the problem, we’re not scoring goals. You then add poor defending and you get last night!

McLaughlin
Hagi Lundstrum Bacuna
Roofe Morelos Kent

McLaughlin
Goldson Balogun
Jack Lundstrum Aribo
Hagi Bacuna
Roofe Morelos Kent

Jack? The player who isnt fit yet? Bacuna? The player that has hardly featured and when he has been poor?
The fact you expect 'that's plenty' and 'time for bed' answers your own post.

We do create chances, we’re not clinical enough to put them away, hence 18 shots last night but only 4 on target one of which was a penalty. That is the problem, we’re not scoring goals. You then add poor defending and you get last night!

I’d argue that if professional footballers are only getting 4 out of 18 shots on target then it’s not high-quality chances.

There have been examples of goals that should have been scored, Morelos against Hearts for example, but the number of goals we’ve scored from open play shows we’re not creating enough. Although it seemed to improve in last few games.

Jack? The player who isnt fit yet? Bacuna? The player that has hardly featured and when he has been poor?
The fact you expect 'that's plenty' and 'time for bed' answers your own post.

Also had Kent in there who isn’t fit. So it’s obviously when they become available.

I expect that because it’s the same when anyone suggests something that’s not 442! Do you suggest we just keep plugging away and not change anything?

Also had Kent in there who isn’t fit. So it’s obviously when they become available.

I expect that because it’s the same when anyone suggests something that’s not 442! Do you suggest we just keep plugging away and not change anything?
Not at all, all for changing things but your idea is shite

Since that's the level of debate let me retort with 'naw it's no'.
The fact you are willing to drop the club captain who has weighed in with 50 goals and countless assists shows its a shite idea.
Also no pace at FB position woukd be a genuine concern. Jack is slower than Tav.
Having Bacuna and Lundstram together is also baffling. But you crack on with your xG and FIFA 2021 ideas

For the reason I've just said - they're midfielders not full backs.

No they're not, but they wouldn't be playing as FBs when we have the ball. They'd be extra midfielders that would allow us to control games.

Similar to what Barca did with Mascherano.

No they're not, but they wouldn't be playing as FBs when we have the ball. They'd be extra midfielders that would allow us to control games.

Similar to what Barca did with Mascherano.
But they would be FBs when we didnt have the ball and thats the point.
Its been pointed out its a shite idea. Own it and give up

The fact you are willing to drop the club captain who has weighed in with 50 goals and countless assists shows its a shite idea.
Also no pace at FB position woukd be a genuine concern. Jack is slower than Tav.
Having Bacuna and Lundstram together is also baffling. But you crack on with your xG and FIFA 2021 ideas

Tav is clearly struggling to get back to his best form, we're reliant on getting down the wings and getting balls in the box and it's not creating enough chances so we should try something different.

Jack wouldn't be asked to bomb down the wing so how is pace relevant? He'd come inside, join in the midfield and allow the attacking midfielders to create the chances without giving up control of the midfield.

FIFA 2021?! Aye, ok mate.

But they would be FBs when we didnt have the ball and thats the point.
Its been pointed out its a shite idea. Own it and give up

But with 5 midfielders and 3 attacking players we'd have the ball the majority of the time, and both have had experience at FB for when we'd have to defend.

Aye, Gibraltar Loyal has said it's a shite idea, must be.

But with 5 midfielders and 3 attacking players we'd have the ball the majority of the time, and both have had experience at FB for when we'd have to defend.

Aye, Gibraltar Loyal has said it's a shite idea, must be.
Glad you agree that its a shite idea.
We have the best RB in the country in Patterson and you want to at Jack, a terrier of a midfielder which our midfield is crying out for, at RB?
Thankfuck you arent involved in picking the team.

Glad you agree that its a shite idea.
We have the best RB in the country in Patterson and you want to at Jack, a terrier of a midfielder which our midfield is crying out for, at RB?
Thankfuck you arent involved in picking the team.

A few posts ago you were saying Tav is un-droppable because of his 50 goals and countless assists, now you're saying Patterson is the best RB in the country?! You see that contradiction, right?!

Jack would be playing in midfield though, Tav is a full back who spends the majority of the time in the opposition half. The only difference instead of the FB being up field he'd be in midfield.

Pity your not involved in picking the team.

Back