Jack Charlton has passed away

He’s held in such high regard over here that a lot of people credit Jack with not just changing Irish football but influential in laying the groundwork that lead to the economic boom in the 90’s/00’s.as the success of the international team gave Irish people the confidence that they could achieve something.something else he did that went unnoticed he wrestled the tri colour away from being a flag that many people in the republic associated with violent Irish republicanism.he helped them reclaim the flag as there national flag.he would have no idea of that but my mrs is adamant he made it no longer embarrassing to fly the flag.

When he was Newcastle manager he got Gazza into fishing to try to calm him down and used to take him to Dumfries with him, they stayed at the Nith Hotel regularly.

I read a story last week that Jack and Bobby Charlton’s Dad was a miner and was working on the day of the 1966 World Cup Final. He only found out that his two boys had won the World Cup when he surfaced at the end of his shift!
Watching bbc news earlier but as a young man he decided he would give up football and go down the mine with his dad.he spent one shift down the mine and went back to playing football

3 Leeds legendary centre halves gone in a matter of months, I’m staggered, it’s too horrible to contemplate.

Another very underrated member of an excellent Leeds side to pass. Record number of appearances there - and a one-club man.

And that’s not to mention he played every game in England’s World Cup win - but still modest enough to make out that he couldn’t play, he could only stop people playing. Which was obviously untrue.

A very likeable and down to earth guy. I used to enjoy watching his Sunday morning? tv programme in the 70s where he typically pursued his outdoor activities - fishing etc.

RIP Jack.

Great manager who kept the game simple. His interviews at The USA world cup were class. Him and Maurice Setters always had a pint in front of them.
Interviewer "you've now lost two left backs due to injuries and suspensions, what are you going to do for the next match" Big Jack "we'll just hae tae look for somebody else"

nae pish fae the big man

One of the only people who is immortal in England and ROI.

Always seemed like really down to earth family man.

An underrated footballer too. Was player of the year in 67.

RIP

Genuinely sorry to hear this sad news. England winning the World Cup in 1966 will always be one of the highlights of my teenage years and Jackie Charlton was a household name throughout the UK in those years. He was a real football man.

Legend is a much over used word in football.

Not in Jackie’s case.

RIP Jackie I hope there’s fishing up there.

I remember a good few years ago he was on the Belfast ferry when we were coming home after the twelfth. Took time to talk to anyone who wanted to talk to him. Nice big man. Sad news.

Met him on a train from Edinburgh to London as he had been up making a tv show about fishing, he sat down next to us and was superb company the whole trip and enjoyed a few beers

As very decent man, down to earth and easy to listen to.

Maybe my age now but I feel we are losing so many decent and talented individuals now, people who have really contributed something through their talent or endeavour whilst we are left with the dross who contribute nothing but social media posts and conflict.

Graeme Souness credits Jack Charlton with getting his career back on track while at Middlesboro. Charlton was not impressed with the shape Souness reported for pre-season and told him"There are 2 doors you can go through, you can go and be a player or you can be like many other talented young players and do nothing with it". We all know which way Souness took.

Absolute legend and a Gentleman.....RIP

Thanks Jack for this little beauty.....UTO

That game at Hillsborough still holds the record attendance for a 3rd tier match in England. A staggering 49,309 Boxing Morning 1979.

At the same time I was watching my team Luton in another derby at nearby rivals Watford. It was our first game against them in nearly 8 years.

We won 0-1, with a last minute header by Kirk 'Basher' Stephens - one of only two LTFC goals he scored in 248 Hatters apps.

On topic - Jack Charlton scored the only goal at my first of 60 England games attended.

1969, Friendly. England 1 (Jack Charlton) Portugal 0 Att: 100,000.

He's now the sixth member of the 1966 World Cup Final team to sadly pass away. Only George Cohen, Nobby Stiles, Bobby Charlton, Roger Hunt and Geoff Hurst left now.

I wasn't exactly over the moon about him being a bit of a turncoat in managing Ireland, but do acknowledge he did a good job with them, as he did at Sheff Wed and especially Middlesbrough, with him Managing their Div 2 title in 1974 when we (Luton) joined them into Div 1 as Runners Up that season.

RIP Jack

Another one gone. My old man played against him in an inter league game many years ago. After the game Jack was one of the few who came over for a beer and a chat. That ties in with a lot of other tales I've heard/read about him which all point to him being a genuinely good bloke. Top centre half for Leeds and England. maybe not the "ball playing" type but bloody good at his job of defending. Fine manager as well.

Back