Jack Grealish

He was the most fouled player in the EPL last season.

Only Mount and Fernandes created more chances than him in the EPL and he was the eighth best creator in the major European leagues.

To say that he's overrated is absolutely moronic.

You realise he can be a very good player and be overrated?

Genuinely, are you taking him over Foden, Sancho and, maybe, Rashford?

Some folk even wanted him to play ahead of Sterling and/or Mount which is, frankly, an incredible take.

So there is certainly a case that people rate him higher than they should.

He made a great impact against Germany. But that's it's for me- an impact player at best.

The clamour for him to start in that team? Crazy.

The English seem to have a distrust in players like him and Joe Cole…..

In contrast, at Rangers, Gerrard has accepted that Hagi won’t effect the game for the full 90 mins…….but know that he is likely to make one or two passes or shots that will determine the outcome of the game

I think he is a good player.

But his main strength seems to be winning free kicks. Which isn’t exactly the biggest strength you want in an attacking player.

He maybe should take a leaf out of Gazzas book and be powerful dribbling past people. Be determined to get past them to create a chance rather than collapsing
That is very common nowadays though, it is the way the game has gone. Kent is often the same.

Some folk even wanted him to play ahead of Sterling and/or Mount which is, frankly, an incredible take.

He made a great impact against Germany. But that's it's for me- an impact player at best.

Grealish was better than Mount last night

Grealish is far better than Rashford.

Grealish is an outstanding player who was underused by Southgate, a manager who mistrusts talent and prefers runners like Rice and Phillips. In that respect Southgate follows England’s long tradition of managers with those views. The only England manager who trusted talent was Bobby Robson.

He was usually to be found hovering around in front of the cameras in the post match laps of honour in previous games but cometh the hour he went into hiding and let a visibly trembling 19 year old laddie step up before him.
He's a shitebag ponce.

Southgate chose the order of the penalties. Fair enough he could have out his hand up and insisted he takes an earlier one but then you run the risk of proving the manager correct. Its a no win situation for Grealish, and Sterling for that matter.

I don't think he is a shitebag in the slightest.

Exactly what I thought. The comparisons to Gazza are strange. Winning free-kicks has become a supposed talent now apparently.

No doubt a good player but after beating a man his first thought is going down, not continuing on.

Imagine Grealish moving forward with the ball against Aberdeen for 8 in a row. He'd fall over as soon as the opposition player breathed on him. That's the difference.

He's the most fouled player in the Premier league for 2 years in a row don't ya know?

Grealish is an outstanding player who was underused by Southgate, a manager who mistrusts talent and prefers runners like Rice and Phillips. In that respect Southgate follows England’s long tradition of managers with those views. The only England manager who trusted talent was Bobby Robson.
And Venables.

Exactly what I thought. The comparisons to Gazza are strange. Winning free-kicks has become a supposed talent now apparently.

No doubt a good player but after beating a man his first thought is going down, not continuing on.

Imagine Grealish moving forward with the ball against Aberdeen for 8 in a row. He'd fall over as soon as the opposition player breathed on him. That's the difference.

One of my favourite goals ever!

The determination to score that goal was unbelievable. I’ve got goosebumps just thinking about it again

Rice and Phillips are outstanding footballers though, its hard not to include them.

Grealish should be in the hole every time he is fit.

It may well have done but apart from an ageing German team they had an easy run. Still doesn't change the fact they were boring as f.uck to watch. Final or not.
Was it an easy run though? Sweden topped Spains group. None of the top teams were really seeing off the 'easy' teams convincingly. Think England deserved their place in the final and have to be regarded as a decent shout for Qatar

I'm a Birmingham fan so obviously on a domestic level I'm not a fan boy.
If I denied the kids talent I'd be a liar .In a white shirt I support him like I do the others .
Lots of ability.I don't think he will be world class like Foden could be.Also it's interesting Bellingham got a transfer at a younger age .I think JG must have had ' other' things going on.
I was always happy to see him get on ,he did change games .
He is compared to Gazza at times .Jack falls over when touched.Gazza would knock them over !
I don't get the comparison with Gazza,mate. If the gaffer rated him,surely he'd be one of the first on the team sheet. He should've been on well before he came on. Extra time isn't a lot of time to make an impact.

Reactions: jtc
He must be the most overrated player of all time.

He is 25 and his career has been average at best yet the commentators and English fans go on like he is the 2nd coming of Gazza.

He isn’t of the level of Foden or Sancho yet they both never received the fanfare that he got.

Bizarre.
Every time he came on he was constantly on the ball being positive and looking to make things happen.

Arguably the best team and manager in Europe want to sign him. I think the boy has something about him.

Southgate chose the order of the penalties. Fair enough he could have out his hand up and insisted he takes an earlier one but then you run the risk of proving the manager correct. Its a no win situation for Grealish, and Sterling for that matter.

Grealish has come out and said he told Southgate he would take one. Gareth had other ideas.

Grealish is a more than decent EPL player in his position but, he is too much of a poser type who likes to dwell on the ball and take an extra touch to prove he has good technique. Souness called it right when he said there's a reason why he's the most fouled player in the league.

I think he is a good player.

But his main strength seems to be winning free kicks. Which isn’t exactly the biggest strength you want in an attacking player.

He maybe should take a leaf out of Gazzas book and be powerful dribbling past people. Be determined to get past them to create a chance rather than collapsing
To be fair, Grealish reguarly goes by numerous players with his skill and pace.

Arguably the best team and manager in Europe want to sign him. I think the boy has something about him.

Didn't answer my point?

You can be both a very good player and overrated.

The best team and manager in Europe won't be picking him ahead of Foden either.

So yes, he is overrated as people think he is better than players he is clearly not. But he is also a good player.

Some people shouldn’t watch football

especially if it’s based on him wearing an Alice band

Dark age stuff. He’s great and to suggest most overrated of all time is hyperbole in the extreme
What has Grealish done in the game to be called great ?
De Bruyne and Fernandes are light years ahead of Grealish for example

Totally disagree. Cracking player and he improved the team every time he came on. The amount of minutes he got was criminal.

Didn't answer my point?

You can be both a very good player and overrated.

The best team and manager in Europe won't be picking him ahead of Foden either.

So yes, he is overrated as people think he is better than players he is clearly not. But he is also a good player.

Do you think Guardiola is paying 100m to stick him on the bench? I am pretty sure he will find space for Foden in his team as well.

Grealish is a bit of a luxury player and Southgate is very defensive minded that's why he doesn't fit into this England team under him. When he came on last night and got the ball around the penalty area, he was causing panic. He put Saka in with a lovely wee back heel and if he didn't take a horrendous first touch he was in on goal with an easy shot or cut back for a tap in.

If you stick Grealish in a team that dominates possession and has players on his wave length around him (like Man City) he would be sensational.

Do you think Guardiola is paying 100m to stick him on the bench? I am pretty sure he will find space for Foden in his team as well.

Grealish is a bit of a luxury player and Southgate is very defensive minded that's why he doesn't fit into this England team under him. When he came on last night and got the ball around the penalty area, he was causing panic. He put Saka in with a lovely wee back heel and if he didn't take a horrendous first touch he was in on goal with an easy shot or cut back for a tap in.

If you stick Grealish in a team that dominates possession and has players on his wave length around him (like Man City) he would be sensational.

No I don't think he will always be a sub. But Foden will play significantly more than he does for City. Which is why I'm saying you can be a great player and still be overrated. As there was a clamour for him to start in that team every game but he is miles away from even Foden who joined him on the bench.

I disagree, but that;s life

No I don't think he will always be a sub. But Foden will play significantly more than he does for City. Which is why I'm saying you can be a great player and still be overrated. As there was a clamour for him to start in that team every game but he is miles away from even Foden who joined him on the bench.

In an attack minded England team he would have played more. Southgate just wanted to sufficate teams though and hit on the break with pace.

People keep talking about England not having midfielders who can control the game which is spot on. But that's why it's difficult to carry luxury players like Grealish as well.

Maybe by the time the world cup comes around Bellingham and Foden will be in the England midfield and that will give them two players who can help in that regard because they are technically very good.

He’s more a Le Tissier than a gazza. Given he missed the last few months of the season, I’m not surprised he didn’t feature more.

Was it an easy run though? Sweden topped Spains group. None of the top teams were really seeing off the 'easy' teams convincingly. Think England deserved their place in the final and have to be regarded as a decent shout for Qatar

If it wasnt an "easy run" it was at least very favourable. The consensous from the day the group stage was completed was that if England beat Germany they had a free run at the final.

I was supporting England and was hoping they done it last night, but when you play all games at home (apart from 1) and have the easier side of the draw it would have been catastrophic for that England side not to make the final.

In regard to Qatar, England will have a better shot at winning if they do away with Southgate imo. He has the best young attacking talent in world football at his disposal and cant find a way to utilise them. 3 full backs in a back 5 is a Steve Clarke system. When Italy switched it up in the 2nd half England just held on as Southgate had no aswers to them.

I hope Mrs Grealish 69 doesn’t have an account on here

Looking at some of the adjectives used above I’d say there’s a chance she has multiple accounts on here. What the feck has he ever done to merit that sort of hype?

Foden and the like I understand, but Grealish? His greatest achievement seems to be that he dives a lot and thus has the much coveted “most fouled player in the Premier League” trophy, commentary never shut up about it.

I'm a Birmingham fan so obviously on a domestic level I'm not a fan boy.
If I denied the kids talent I'd be a liar .In a white shirt I support him like I do the others .
Lots of ability.I don't think he will be world class like Foden could be.Also it's interesting Bellingham got a transfer at a younger age .I think JG must have had ' other' things going on.
I was always happy to see him get on ,he did change games .
He is compared to Gazza at times .Jack falls over when touched.Gazza would knock them over !

He’s not a kid though, he’s nearly 26.

Reactions: jtc
I think Grealish is top. Every time he gets the bell..you sense something might happen or he might create something.

He's a great player and was criminally underused by Southgate. He might not be the best defensively, so put him in the hole where he doesn't need to defend.

Southgate has some of the best young attacking talent in world football at his disposal yet doesn't know how to use them. Grealish, Rashford, Sancho & Foden hardly getting a look in tells you all you need to know about Southgate's boring approach.
And yet it's been more successful than most England sides of the last 50 years. Baw hair from winning something last night, which didn't look any more or less likely with the likes of Grealish on the pitch - if anything they were holding Italy back with 'wreckers' like Rice and Phillips doing their headless chicken acts.

Grealish, Foden and co may well be good players but if Southgate has done anything, it's to demonstrate the value of underrated players over the 'box office' ones.

Southgate took England to the final so he obviously got something right but I do feel Sancho, Grealish, Foden were all under used.

I wouldn’t have turned to Saka last night (he was woeful when he came on). Sancho had a good game against Ukraine and was unlucky to be dropped against Denmark.

I’d have hooked Mount earlier than he was last night. He was anonymous. It was clear from the off after half time that the England midfield was falling out the game.

Still, Southgate proved a lot of people wrong and shown that he got his tactics right for the best part. I wouldn’t really judge their group stage performances. They qualified then reached the final where they put up a decent fight and took the best team in the competition to penalties. On another day they could have won.

He was the most fouled player in the EPL last season.

Only Mount and Fernandes created more chances than him in the EPL and he was the eighth best creator in the major European leagues.

To say that he's overrated is absolutely moronic.
He can still have those stats and be overrated, they aren’t mutually exclusive.

Jack is a very good player, played in the wrong position, and not played enough in any position.
He is an attacking midfielder, he can do the whole CM role, but is better at floating between midfield and attack. He certainly shouldn’t be left on a wing, and restricted to whereabouts on the park he can play.
If he was a City, he would play the David Silva role.

Back