Jack Grealish

So you're saying that being very influential in a Championship side makes him a 'great player'?

With regards to what he has accomplished, when I said 'nothing' I suppose I meant in top level football.
I allowed him 'not much' since he helped get a team promoted from the Championship (who didn't even win it, they finished 5th).

You say he improved England in the Euros, I can't say that I agree I'm afraid.

Also, I'd have to disagree that 'displaying an amazing temperament' makes you a great player.
No bother, exhausted those arguments.

Never said that made him a great player - the temperament skill, but bloody hell it doesn’t half help him. Do you think Alfie would be better with that or not?

No bother, exhausted those arguments.

Never said that made him a great player - the temperament skill, but bloody hell it doesn’t half help him. Do you think Alfie would be better with that or not?
Maybe if he had Alfie's fire in his belly he'd be a great player :shh: ;)

He certainly hasn’t made people jump out of their seats but to be fair to him he doesn’t set the transfer value.
England is one of the worst countries for talking players up and pushing the transfer fee through the roof.

Hugely overrated. It would be worth seeing which is greater, the amount of time in a game that the ball is out of play or the amount of time that Jack Grealish isn’t on his feet.

Find him a frustrating watch tbh. Holds onto the ball far too long. I’m convinced this stat about him being the most fouled player wouldn’t exist if he just moved the damn thing a bit quicker, instead of trying to buy the foul. Thought he was a weird fit for City because of it and I bet it will be the one thing Pep try’s hardest to change.

The price tag isn't doing him any favours but it isn't his fault. He was the main man at Villa and could pretty much do what he wanted on the pitch. Never gonna be the case at City.

Find him a frustrating watch tbh. Holds onto the ball far too long. I’m convinced this stat about him being the most fouled player wouldn’t exist if he just moved the damn thing a bit quicker, instead of trying to buy the foul. Thought he was a weird fit for City because of it and I bet it will be the one thing Pep try’s hardest to change.
I agree with that, he’s started to remind me of Sterling a bit. Both Grealish and Foden do a bit mind. At times I wonder if Guardiola is overloading them with things, plenty of players have said it about him.

Hey may well become a great player, but he's far from it just now. He's accomplished nothing so far.

He won’t. He’ll continue to settle for winning a few fouls rather than actually producing something with the football. It’s taking the easy option and he will never be better than a good player because of it.

Still bemused at City paying that amount of money. He's a good player but he's not going to be the difference in winning the Champions League. For 100m, surely you're hoping for a game-changer.

He’s a good player and if City want to pay that money for him that’s up to them. Absolutely nowhere near the level of Gascoigne, Rooney being the closest to him since, although still a way off.

Grealish did set that transfer fee in a way, he agreed to his sell on clause being £100m when he signed his last deal at Villa.
It was quoted at the time that he wanted to ensure Villa got the max from any transfer he made.

Should have signed Kane instead if they could.

Grealish is a cracking player but he isn't even as good as Mahrez or Silva and they didn't cost 100m either.

Souness summed him up perfectly. Wants too many touches of the ball and takes too long to make his mind up what he's going to do with it.

Still bemused at City paying that amount of money. He's a good player but he's not going to be the difference in winning the Champions League. For 100m, surely you're hoping for a game-changer.
Based on how FF works he’s guaranteed to score the winner in the CL final now B-D

He won’t. He’ll continue to settle for winning a few fouls rather than actually producing something with the football. It’s taking the easy option and he will never be better than a good player because of it.
What a load of bollocks.

We won’t know the result for a while though.

I was surprised at the outlay based on his stats. Thought maybe Pep saw something that belied those

I was surprised at the outlay based on his stats. Thought maybe Pep saw something that belied those
As always on follow follow the truth is somewhere in between. He’s is a top quality EPL player, inferior to Fodden and the price was set by his release clause.

Reminds me of Beckham. Very talented but it’s his style that lifts his reputation to the level of a superstar with the English.

He must be the most overrated player of all time.

He is 25 and his career has been average at best yet the commentators and English fans go on like he is the 2nd coming of Gazza.

He isn’t of the level of Foden or Sancho yet they both never received the fanfare that he got.

Bizarre.
It's the Man-bun he wears. Anyone with a Man-bun is to be worshipped. Griezman is another one.

He is 25 and his career has been average at best yet the commentators and English fans go on like he is the 2nd coming of Gazza.

He isn’t of the level of Foden or Sancho yet they both never received the fanfare that he got.

Bizarre.
Always the same. The power of the media make an average player worth 100million

Reminds me of Beckham. Very talented but it’s his style that lifts his reputation to the level of a superstar with the English.

Probably some truth in that. It was weird the way his arrival off the bench at the Euros was met with huge applause and anticipation as though it was a young Gazza coming on, as opposed to a 25 year old Villa player.

I know he doesn’t set the price either but that’s not really the point I was making, it’s just that the hype doesn’t come close to matching the ability.

Probably some truth in that. It was weird the way his arrival off the bench at the Euros was met with huge applause and anticipation as though it was a young Gazza coming on, as opposed to a 25 year old Villa player.
And the times he came on were at points England needed a lift, the opposition was tired and a headless chicken might do a bit of damage. Southgate knew fine what he was doing and the comments here that Grealish was 'criminally underused' are wide of the mark.

And the times he came on were at points England needed a lift, the opposition was tired and a headless chicken might do a bit of damage. Southgate knew fine what he was doing and the comments here that Grealish was 'criminally underused' are wide of the mark.

He did alright coming on against a German side that were absolutely falling apart and have been for years. Barring that I really don’t remember him doing anything worthy of the mad hype. It was the usual, take the ball and drop to the ground and look for a free kick, same as Kane.

Last edited:
I think he is terrible. That performance against PSG where everytime he got the ball he rolled it back into midfield was dreadful. He didn’t look much better on Sunday. I wouldn’t take him on a free transfer.

My opinion of him is quite short.

If I was the owner of Man City and despite having billions to burn, if my manager spent 100 million on a dud like Grealish, I'd be sacking the manager. And trust me, I love Pep.

Bizarre how just a few months ago most people on here were singing his praises but now he’s deemed shit presumably because he joined the club with no history and no fans………,

Decent player but never a top 4 player in the epl. The move to Man City was very strange. His style does not fit there, they move the ball fast and he just wants to hold onto it to win fouls.

Should have signed a centre forward instead.

The fact he is measured by the stat of winning the most fouls and not goals / assists says it all…

Man City have loads of talent out wide but dont have a striker good enough so spunking £100mil on Grealish was madness.

In his own head he think’s he’s Messi but on the pitch he is anything but, Hakimi didnt give him a sniff in Paris last week and that was with Grealish saying he fancies himself to beat any full back in the world.

Anytime ive seen him play for City he's been wide left

Villa payed him through the middle from midfield and he was magic there

Hes never a winger ever

Bizarre.
Disagree he is a top player and whilst Foden is outstanding so far Sancho has not been great at Man U.

Top player.

Pep says he sees him as a LM, CM, RM, LW, false 9 and RW - so he’ll get plenty of game-time.

I thought he’d be a little slower in getting his numbers going, to be honest. But 1 goal and 1 assist in 7 league games and 1 goal and 1 assist in 2 CL matches is not too bad a start, at all (I think that’s his stats).

I can see why Pep likes him so much.

Decent player but not worth the money City paid for him.

If Pep, i would be asking his board to break the bank for Erland Haaland and he could then sit back and wait for the EPL title to be delivered.

Bizarre.
I get the Foden comparison but I've really not seen anything from Sancho tbh

Maybe he shun at Dortmund when i wasn't pying attention.

Grealish is waaaay, waaaay overhyped tho I'll give you that.

6 pages on FF debating about Jack Grealish who actually gives a toss?

Andy Carroll went to Liverpool for nearly 40 million years ago this makes the Grealish deal look good.

6 pages on FF debating about Jack Grealish who actually gives a toss?

Andy Carroll went to Liverpool for nearly 40 million years ago this makes the Grealish deal look good.
Literally everyone who’s read and contributed to the thread I’d imagine.

And the Carroll deal is an irrelevance given its a complete anomaly and nout to do with City. Another way to look at it is City spent half of what they forked out on Grealish when they signed Kevin De Bruyne, and about a third of the the Grealish fee when they signed Agüero. Those transfers make the Grealish deal look like some sort of prank.

Literally everyone who’s read and contributed to the thread I’d imagine.

And the Carroll deal is an irrelevance given its a complete anomaly and nout to do with City. Another way to look at it is City spent half of what they forked out on Grealish when they signed Kevin De Bruyne, and about a third of the the Grealish fee when they signed Agüero. Those transfers make the Grealish deal look like some sort of prank.

Sadly it’s the inflated market that lives amongst the EPL it’s not Grealish fault he went for that amount, you can bring McGuire into this as well, a decent defender but what was it 70-80 million? Horrendous amounts of money for good English players that’s all they are.

Bizarre.
I think, far and away, the most overrated player in the EPL is Grealish's team mate - Raheem Sterling.

You could plausibly argue from a Man City perspective that given the existing depth in midfield, they didn't really need a player like Grealish, and should instead have gone all-in for Harry Kane. Grealish will need a bit more time to adjust to how Pep wants him to play, and to adjust to his role within the Man City team, but I've no out he will eventually will.

For the record, Jadon Sancho isn't exactly tearing it up at Man U.

I think, far and away, the most overrated player in the EPL is Grealish's team mate - Raheem Sterling.

You could plausibly argue from a Man City perspective that given the existing depth in midfield, they didn't really need a player like Grealish, and should instead have gone all-in for Harry Kane. Grealish will need a bit more time to adjust to how Pep wants him to play, and to adjust to his role within the Man City team, but I've no out he will eventually will.

For the record, Jadon Sancho isn't exactly tearing it up at Man U.
Sancho is a player suited to a foreign league and doubt he will stay at Man U long, as for Grealish he is probably their to be KDB replacement longer terms and who knows if he is good enough because Lukaku and KDB have proved other wrong but I can’t see it

If Man City paid 100 million for him then that is what he is worth.

To say he is the most overrated player ever is just ludicrous.

Back