Jack Hastie Recalled

Starting Anew

Can’t say I’m expecting a massive step up from Jones or Ojo at their best here. But he may easily be more consistent than either and more willing to put the effort in.

Not the player I’d expect to lead us to 55 but good to have him around and I expect more genuine addition(s) to come

BelfastRanger

One of the games he came on in. After it Gerrard spoke about how he’s able to play in midfield
When? He's barely played as it is. It's astonishing to me that all talk of transfers is strikers and wingers when we don't even play with wingers and yet have four adequate midfielders for three positions while our most physical midfielder is out on loan playing right back.

I didn't see Edmundson brought into midfield yesterday when our midfield was over run? Ross has done it against Aberdeen and Celtic and it's a mistake to not have his as option. We had no one yesterday and at other times this season to come on put their foot in and break up play. No one.

Square and compass

Morelos, Goldson, Tav, Kamara, Barasic and Kent are all worth alot of money.
I said morelos is, more if he starts screwing the nut.
Kent aint worth anymore than we bought him for.
The rest, not a lot if they were scouts about on Sunday.
This team the last time i looked havent won anything.
An empty cv in Scotland isnt great.

WalterLoyal

Players are not going to be judged on one game of football. Scouts are not going to base their judgement on who has won trophies. Players go for big fees in the lower league's in England and in smaller league's throughout Europe without winning anything. Players are scouted over a long period. Showing consistently in their domestic league, performing well in Europe, performing well at international level is what will catch their attention.

Bluerob

I'll be saddened to see Jordon go , looked good at first but maybe needs must as they say

We don't same to have much luck with the young guys we have bought recently
Docherty , Hastie , Murphy , Middleton now Jones all seemed to be promising , of course some may still work out but it's been disappointing so far

Mind you , glad to see Barker go , I never understood that signing

KinkyAfro

Could eventually see Hastie playing as the left side attacking full back in our system.
He’s got the pace, power and physique for it. I’m sure the defensive side could be developed.

Gunnerger

I watched the Peterborough v Rotherham game on Saturday, and again Hastie didn't come on. But to be fair even though Rotherham got beat 2.1 they played well and were sitting top without much of Hastie. I'm glad if true that he's coming back though

Derek84

Do you not think we could've been doing with him at half time yesterday to replace Kamara? And against Aberdeen away when they ran over us? Or against Hearts last time? We need different types of midfielders just like we always have done. This obsession with playing one way all the time won't work for a full season. Sometimes we just need someone to win tackles and break up play and shut down momentum. Yesterday we hadn't no one on the bench to do it. I've been saying this all season.
Agreed mate,I think Mc Crorie could have played a part this season.

SirAlfredofMorelos

I'd assume Middleton is definitely going out on loan again, as Hastie can't be loaned out again (played in one of our qualifiers). Scored quite a few last year for Motherwell, I don't know how he will do but given how poor Barker is he can't be much worse :)) :)) :))

blueshire

Surprised at jones,thought he looked decent until injury,hastie was excellent with Motherwell and knows the league,give him a chance

MearnsUnionist

Do you not think we could've been doing with him at half time yesterday to replace Kamara? And against Aberdeen away when they ran over us? Or against Hearts last time? We need different types of midfielders just like we always have done. This obsession with playing one way all the time won't work for a full season. Sometimes we just need someone to win tackles and break up play and shut down momentum. Yesterday we hadn't no one on the bench to do it. I've been saying this all season.

Edmundson has slotted in to do that job a couple of times mate.

He's bigger and stronger than McCrorie, probably quicker too, plus he's certainly a better passer of the ball.

It's the position he started his career in, so is comfortable enough there.

Polster can also dish it out and is also more comfortable on the ball than Ross, so that option was there for Gerrard , if he wanted.

Last edited:

Brisy

Hopefully Barker is off then and Hastie is being recalled as cover, don't really want Jones to go.

MearnsUnionist

Teams are working us out as its the same all the time.
Our bench is shocking, as bad as pedros/ murtys imo

That's not really true though mate.

You won't get better cover than Wes on the bench.

Edmundson is a better central defender than anyone under Murty or Pedro and you can say the same about Arfield as a midfielder.

You also have to remember that Morelos, Tav, Helander and Stewart were unavailable.

At least 2 of them would've started and the others would've been on the bench.

Have a look at tarrier's bench from Saturday mate, if you want to see a weak bench.

They were having to bring in untried youth players to make up the numbers.

Last edited:

Craig McColl

Winning trophies in Scotland means nothing outside Scotland.
Scouts would've taken far more notice of all our European games because it's a much higher level.

Bullseye4

I genuinely forgot all about Hastie. Is he a better option than Jones though or is it a case that Jones burned his bridges with the gaffer after the red card??

dc1980

Hope he grabs his chance if he gets it, but, doesn't fill me with confidence we're not making any proper additions to the squad.

Also very aware that the winter window isn't ideal.

Govanx

Cool Story Bro
So does anyone have anything substantial to share about Jones “attitude problems” or is it just the usual ITK bullshit that amounts to the square root of fk all?

strider

I don't think Hastie can go to another club on loan can he? He played in a couple of games for us this season, so he'd be in the same position as McPake and not allowed to play for a third.

albertz85

A better option off the bench than Barker imo, plus his loan isn't working out so seems the right thing to do

TN8

Really have no idea what the problem is with Jones. He started the season well and looked dangerous plent of times.