Jack Hastie Recalled

They seem to have been spending some dough.
Its just that bench last wednesday / sunday really concerned me.
Not a game changer in sight, defenders and plodders.

They've spent dough on 2 totally unknown and untested players, one of whom is already 3rd choice striker behind the same Ĺeigh Griffiths who was a mile off the pace on Saturday.

They had Dembele and Welsh (yes Welsh) on their bench on Saturday.

That's a 16 year old kid and a central defender that young Dapo has regularly destroyed over the past couple of years.

14 apps 6 goals for Motherwell in this league is almost as good as Kent's contribution, so I think a good option to have on the bench.

I know 2 motherwell fans very well.

They said he had a purple patch of 10 games where he played reasonably well and scored the majority of his games but they couldnt believe it when he was being linked with a move to us.

In the last 2 years the lad has been on loan to ardrie and alloa and scored 3 goals in 50 games.

He started well down in league 1 but fell right out of the picture/last game he started was mid december and and unused sub 5 out of the last 6 games.

I also watched him in our friendlys before we sent him out on loan and he has a lot of football dvelopment to undergo before he will be part of our first team squad.

My point is anyone expecting the boy to come back and make a major impact on our title challenge are being unrealistic and unfair on the boy.

aAl in my humble opinion of course.

They've spent dough on 2 totally unknown and untested players, one of whom is already 3rd choice striker behind the same Ĺeigh Griffiths who was a mile off the pace on Saturday.

They had Dembele and Welsh (yes Welsh) on their bench on Saturday.

That's a 16 year old kid and a central defender that young Dapo has regularly destroyed over the past couple of years.

Don't waste your time with him man. He's the biggest shit stirrer on here.

Then why haven't they been used? I've seen no evidence that either Polster or Edmundson can do it better than Ross, have you?

Ross has destroyed the best and most physical midfields in this league.

And besides - Polster is cover for Tav and Ed for Helander.

Ross started his loan spell at Portsmouth in central midfield and lost his place.

He then got back into their team at right back and was doing pretty well until his injury.

The way our midfield is set up, they need to be able to receive and retain possession in tight positions and shift the ball quickly and accurately.

Up until Sunday they've done it brilliantly for most of the season.

I'm not wanting mass changes based on one poor result.

If Ross is struggling to nail down a spot in the Pompey midfield then I don't see him being ready for our midfield yet.

I still have hope that he will develop into a very good player for us though, once he improves his ball retention mate.

Barker always strange signing - never looked good enough. Speed merchant in team that rarely has lots of space behind opposition defence.

Hastie looked brutal in his few appearances for us. I’d have been stunned when he left if we ever saw him again and it sounds like his fate is now sealed.

Ross started his loan spell at Portsmouth in central midfield and lost his place.

He then got back into their team at right back and was doing pretty well until his injury.

The way our midfield is set up, they need to be able to receive and retain possession in tight positions and shift the ball quickly and accurately.

If Ross is struggling to nail down a spot in the Pompey midfield then I don't see him being ready for our midfield yet.

I still have hope that he will develop into a very good player for us though, once he improves his ball retention mate.
I don't care what hes done or not done in a Portsmouth shirt mate. He's done it in a Rangers jersey and thats good enough for me.

I'm not talking about massive changes im talking about having different options to deal with any eventuality, to be able to adjust and adapt when it isn't working.

And its not just this game, Aberdeen away etc management need to be able to adjust the system when needed and sometimes thats as simple as bringing someone like Ross on to shut the game down.

He’s coming back as part of the 1st team squad. Was nothing to do with game time on his loan etc, SG wants him in his squad going forward.

By the way some of the comments on here are ridiculous, the boys done more in the SPFL than Jones and Barker in his half season at Motherwell and to say he wouldn’t get a game for development squad is just stupid.

That's a bit more encouraging. I'd love Hastie to do well for us (who wouldn't?).

Where are you hearing the info from though mate? Close to family or what?

Struggle to believe that Hastie is much of a better option than Jones tbh.

I don't think Hastie will be straight into the 1st team squad mate, but even if he is, he'll fit better into our system than Jones.

It was plain against Stranraer that Jones was struggling to adapt to our formation against defensive teams, which is probably about 90% of our matches.

Gerrard was getting very animated with him.

If the attitude rumours are true as well, then he's not going to last long.

I don't care what hes done or not done in a Portsmouth shirt mate. He's done it in a Rangers jersey and thats good enough for me.

I'm not talking about massive changes im talking about having different options to deal with any eventuality, to be able to adjust and adapt when it isn't working.

And its not just this game, Aberdeen away etc management need to be able to adjust the system when needed and sometimes thats as simple as bringing someone like Ross on to shut the game down.

At Aberdeen our problem was that we started giving away cheap possession mate and tbf that isn't Ross's strong point.

It's not like we were out muscled or anything.

Hastie isn`t the answer although i`m not really sure who is atm.

Jack being injured is a massive blow.

At Aberdeen our problem was that we started giving away cheap possession mate and tbf that isn't Ross's strong point.

It's not like we were out muscled or anything.
We were out muscled mate. We went 2-0 up and they ran all over us.

And we need cover and different options. We have none. Kamara should be dropped after Sunday but we can't because we have one injury.

However, that bench would have been completely changed with Tav, Morelos, Helander and Stewart (for example) available. That’s, at the very least, two certain starters pushing others down into the bench, perhaps three.
Helander wouldnt get a game at the moment, edumnson would be back in the reserves.
Can we trust morelos to screw the nut?

Ross mcrorie will not make it at Rangers.
He isnt good enough , that level of player will not win us leagues.
Some forget the quality , staying power and determination to win the league never mind a cup.

Watch it again mate.

Loose possession cost us dearly.
Losing possession because they were running all over us in midfield. It became a battle and we shat it. Just like we did on Sunday. Lewis Ferguson was not doing what he did if he's running into Ross. We were out muscled. They beat us physically because it's all they can do.

He’s coming back as part of the 1st team squad. Was nothing to do with game time on his loan etc, SG wants him in his squad going forward.

By the way some of the comments on here are ridiculous, the boys done more in the SPFL than Jones and Barker in his half season at Motherwell and to say he wouldn’t get a game for development squad is just stupid.

Hi Jake

Ross mcrorie will not make it at Rangers.
He isnt good enough , that level of player will not win us leagues.
Some forget the quality , staying power and determination to win the league never mind a cup.
Some forget how important it is to win the battle when games become a battle. He's better than what we had on the bench on Sunday so we are weakened by not having him there. He's better than what you give him credit for. You seem to forget he destroyed celtics and aberdeens midfield last season so a good option to have.

Losing possession because they were running all over us in midfield. It became a battle and we shat it. Just like we did on Sunday. Lewis Ferguson was not doing what he did if he's running into Ross. We were out muscled. They beat us physically because it's all they can do.

Like a lot of your posts mate, but we're miles apart here.

Aberdeen never ran over us and we never shat it.

We gave away poor goals due to individual errors, which has been very uncommon for us this season

We'd 62% possession, 13 shots on goal and 8 corners to Aberdeen's 2.

That's the sort of stats you'd be happy with against them at Ibrox, never mind Pittodrie.

We played poorly on Sunday, no question, but up until that game we've never lacked physicality all season, the opposite in fact.

We are a far tougher proposition this season, as the mentally challengeds discovered at the piggery.

Some forget how important it is to win the battle when games become a battle. He's better than what we had on the bench on Sunday so we are weakened by not having him there. He's better than what you give him credit for. You seem to forget he destroyed celtics and aberdeens midfield last season so a good option to have.
When players are away and we get a bad result then they seem better.
Mind playing tricks.
Its like Rossiter and the love in with some.
I prefered Ross at centre half.
The team is too soft. A hurlock type wouldnt go a miss, or stuart mccall type nipping and harassing players.

Hastie was signed when he was primarilya right winger at Motherwell. Rotherham used him as a left-winger, 16 games, 3 goals, 1 assist. In the English 3rd tier.

Much like Ojo ... and Barker and Jones, he would be good if teams play an open game. That is not exactly what we get 8 out of 10 times in Scotland. Likewise, I read people slating Barker or Jones as being not Rangers material, but neither has been given a run to get into any sort of rhythm or understanding with their fellow attackers or fullbacks. Here is where management comes into play, as IMHO there is no requirement to play the same folk and tactic every time and every week.

BTW, Grezda is away and should we indeed send Barker and Jones away, our left attacking side would Kent and ... well, Kent. Anyone else would be shoe-horned into that role. One may point at Barisisc and his excellent wing-back play, but heaven forbid he gets an injury.

Essentially the same is happening on the right. Right now we play Aribo there, every now and then Ojo. The former tends to go inside, so all wing-threat would be provided by Tav (if fit) or Polster (who did quite well of late). Ojo far too often falls into a "EPL-u23-fun-game" mode, which looks a bit lackadaisical and is usually of no use in the Scottish environment. Our prime right-wing-threat should come from Stewart, who - bizarrely - gets next to no game time, even though he takes nigh every single opportunity he gets with a goal or assist.

Anyway, we will have to wait and see what transpires over the next few days.

Like a lot of your posts mate, but we're miles apart here.

Aberdeen never ran over us and we never shat it.

We gave away poor goals due to individual errors, which has been very uncommon for us this season

We'd 62% possession, 13 shots on goal and 8 corners to Aberdeen's 2.

That's the sort of stats you'd be happy with against them at Ibrox, never mind Pittodrie.

We played poorly on Sunday, no question, but up until that game we've never lacked physicality all season, the opposite in fact.

We are a far tougher proposition this season, as the mentally challengeds discovered at the piggery.
The game turned when it became a battle and we lost the battle. Lewis Ferguson was allowed to run all over our midfield and he's not doing that against Ross.

It can be just as important to have the option of bringing someone on to sit in front of defence, win tackles, break up play, shut down momentum and stop people playing as having the option of bringing someone on to create or score a goal.

The point is to have the option. To be prepared for different situations rather than play one way even when it's not working. Ross gives that option and it's an important one.

When players are away and we get a bad result then they seem better.
Mind playing tricks.
Its like Rossiter and the love in with some.
I prefered Ross at centre half.
The team is too soft. A hurlock type wouldnt go a miss, or stuart mccall type nipping and harassing players.
Ross dominated celtics and aberdeens midfield physically. He's our most physical midfielder yet you say we're too our soft and need a hurlock or McCall which is what Ross offers us. Physicality which is the exact point I am making.

Then why haven't they been used? I've seen no evidence that either Polster or Edmundson can do it better than Ross, have you?

Ross has destroyed the best and most physical midfields in this league.

And besides - Polster is cover for Tav and Ed for Helander.

McCrorie is injured just now.

Jones has never really struck me as a Rangers player, and it's nothing to do with ability. It'd be great business to get 1 million quid for him.

The game turned when it became a battle and we lost the battle. Lewis Ferguson was allowed to run all over our midfield and he's not doing that against Ross.

It can be just as important to have the option of bringing someone on to sit in front of defence, win tackles, break up play, shut down momentum and stop people playing as having the option of bringing someone on to create or score a goal.

The point is to have the option. To be prepared for different situations rather than play one way even when it's not working. Ross gives that option and it's an important one.

Mate we're going round in circles here.

Just remember Ross wanted to go on loan because he wanted to play every week and Gerrard couldn't guarantee him that.

I don't agree with your analysis of the Aberdeen game, but even if you're right, how many more games would we have like that this season?

How many more games would Ross play?
A couple maybe?
Not ideal for his development.

We've already been to Easter Rd, Fir Park and the piggery and we've pished all over their midfields, so he won't be starting against any of them.

The vast majority of the rest of our games involve teams defending deep and in numbers around their box and we try to open them up.

Ross won't play in games like that either.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Helander wouldnt get a game at the moment, edumnson would be back in the reserves.
Can we trust morelos to screw the nut?

Two daft moments from Morelos in the space of two weeks - but prior to that it was just two bookings in the league. I trust him.

Katic is the golden child on here but Helander was keeping him out prior to injury. Jury's out on that one I would say. We have 4 'decent' centre-backs. Two in the team, one on the bench. Take your pick really.

So, Sundays bench becomes Katic/Helander instead of Edmundson, Defoe instead of Ojo, Stewart instead of Halliday, Foderingham, Arfield - plus any 2 you'd like to make up the numbers from Flanagan, Polster, Jones, Halliday and the kids. Still a bit light towards the end - which needs addressing - but you'd surely agree a significantly better range of options?

If the boy is coming back into the first team squad hopefully he can hit the ground running and force his way in and prove himself.

Mate we're going round in circles here.

Just remember Ross wanted to go on loan because he wanted to play every week and Gerrard couldn't guarantee him that.

I don't agree with your analysis of the Aberdeen game, but even if you're right, how many more games would we have like that this season?

How many more games would Ross play?
A couple maybe?
Not ideal for his development.

We've already been to Easter Rd, Fir Park and the piggery and we've pished all over their midfields, so he won't be starting against any of them.

The vast majority of the rest of our games involve teams defending deep and in numbers around their box and we try to open them up.

Ross won't play in games like that either.

Let's just agree to disagree.
It doesn't matter how many games he'll play he's our player we pay his wages and he'll play when needed.

Ian Ferguson didn't play every game. Tugay etc didn't every game the point is to have options and we don't.

Polster is cover for Tav. Ed is cover for CB we have three. King is gone. Doc is going. Halliday isn't good enough. Drop Aribo into midfield and we are weaker up top.

We have four midfielders. Kamara should be dropped after Sunday but we can't because we have one solitary injury and yet we are trying to win the league? It's not good evough and it's irresponsible.

We were out muscled mate. We went 2-0 up and they ran all over us.

And we need cover and different options. We have none. Kamara should be dropped after Sunday but we can't because we have one injury.
We were not out muscled vs Aberdeen. We sold the game by lapses of concentration. It's also not about being "out muscled" it's out numbered due to pressing (ie hearts set up) and organisation to win 2nd balls. Our success this season is on a midfield 3 that can retain possession under pressure and given Mcrorie needs to improve his passing he simply wont fit into our system.

At least if Hastie gets his chance for us again this season it'll be on the right side of the pitch, rather than the wide left he'd been featuring for us a couple of times before Kent arrived.

When he shone for Motherwell last season, his strong point was starting on the right and cutting inside onto his left.

Also, give me Hastie over Ojo or Barker any day of the week.

It doesn't matter how many games he'll play he's our player we pay his wages and he'll play when needed.

Ian Ferguson didn't play every game. Tugay etc didn't every game the point is to have options and we don't.

Polster is cover for Tav. Ed is cover for CB we have three. King is gone. Doc is going. Halliday isn't good enough. Drop Aribo into midfield and we are weaker up top.

We have four midfielders. Kamara should be dropped after Sunday but we can't because we have one solitary injury and yet we are trying to win the league? It's not good evough and it's irresponsible.

Let's just see how we look when the window closes.

We were not out muscled vs Aberdeen. We sold the game by lapses of concentration. It's also not about being "out muscled" it's out numbered due to pressing (ie hearts set up) and organisation to win 2nd balls. Our success this season is on a midfield 3 that can retain possession under pressure and given Mcrorie needs to improve his passing he simply wont fit into our system.

Yes we were. Lapses in concentration because the game became a battle and we lost it. Lewis Ferguson should of been shut down but he wasn't. He wasnt doing what he did in that game if he's running into Ross.

And we need to be able to adapt the system when it isn't working by having different options for different eventualities and we don't.

Ross dominated celtics and aberdeens midfield physically. He's our most physical midfielder yet you say we're too our soft and need a hurlock or McCall which is what Ross offers us. Physicality which is the exact point I am making.
I dont see it with him, just my opinion.
And if its a physical player , i want better than him.
He s well out the scene mate.

Two daft moments from Morelos in the space of two weeks - but prior to that it was just two bookings in the league. I trust him.

Katic is the golden child on here but Helander was keeping him out prior to injury. Jury's out on that one I would say. We have 4 'decent' centre-backs. Two in the team, one on the bench. Take your pick really.

So, Sundays bench becomes Katic/Helander instead of Edmundson, Defoe instead of Ojo, Stewart instead of Halliday, Foderingham, Arfield - plus any 2 you'd like to make up the numbers from Flanagan, Polster, Jones, Halliday and the kids. Still a bit light towards the end - which needs addressing - but you'd surely agree a significantly better range of options?
Yes agree.
Katic seems to have grew in confidence since last season.
He is good for a headed goal now and again.
Helander is different, a bit more on the deck and i think he is more clever.

Back