Jack Hastie Recalled

Hopefully Barker is off then and Hastie is being recalled as cover, don't really want Jones to go.

Teams are working us out as its the same all the time.
Our bench is shocking, as bad as pedros/ murtys imo

That's not really true though mate.

You won't get better cover than Wes on the bench.

Edmundson is a better central defender than anyone under Murty or Pedro and you can say the same about Arfield as a midfielder.

You also have to remember that Morelos, Tav, Helander and Stewart were unavailable.

At least 2 of them would've started and the others would've been on the bench.

Have a look at mentally challenged's bench from Saturday mate, if you want to see a weak bench.

They were having to bring in untried youth players to make up the numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I said morelos is, more if he starts screwing the nut.
Kent aint worth anymore than we bought him for.
The rest, not a lot if they were scouts about on Sunday.
This team the last time i looked havent won anything.
An empty cv in Scotland isnt great.
Winning trophies in Scotland means nothing outside Scotland.
Scouts would've taken far more notice of all our European games because it's a much higher level.

I genuinely forgot all about Hastie. Is he a better option than Jones though or is it a case that Jones burned his bridges with the gaffer after the red card??

Hope he grabs his chance if he gets it, but, doesn't fill me with confidence we're not making any proper additions to the squad.

Also very aware that the winter window isn't ideal.

So does anyone have anything substantial to share about Jones “attitude problems” or is it just the usual ITK bullshit that amounts to the square root of fk all?

I don't think Hastie can go to another club on loan can he? He played in a couple of games for us this season, so he'd be in the same position as McPake and not allowed to play for a third.

A better option off the bench than Barker imo, plus his loan isn't working out so seems the right thing to do

Really have no idea what the problem is with Jones. He started the season well and looked dangerous plent of times.

maybe sg noticed jones head being turned when boro came calling.

hastie will come here with something to prove.

attitude is everything

He’s likely to be sold or sent on loan somewhere else.

Rotherham haven’t been impressed with this application in training and he was even sent back up the road in December for some fitness tests. SG isn’t happy at all.

Interested to see where the £10k a week number for Barker is coming from. Granted he didn't cost us a transfer fee but still seems inflated. Was Mark Allan his uncle?!

If it's accurate, it could prove a stumbling block to potential moves as in the main only Championship clubs who see value in him could afford that.

I for one am glad SG has finally woke up and realise there is too much shite in our squad and wants to change things.
Agree, just wish we moved on this a bit sooner than 3 days before the end of the transfer window. Can only hope they have a plan for bringing in some quality

There's not a chance he's being recalled to come straight into our first team, he's being recalled because he's been murder down there and doesn't get off the bench

Edmundson is a better central defender than anyone under Murty or Pedro and you can say the same about Arfield as a midfielder.

You also have to remember that Morelos, Tav, Helander and Stewart were unavailable.

Have a look at mentally challenged's bench from Saturday mate, if you want to see a weak bench.

They won, we didnt.
When is a sub goalie used?
As for injuries, thats part of the game.

Not much on the Rotherham forum about Hastie. You've got to go to page 5/6 for a thread. First post talks about his poor attitude and how he's barely featured.

They seem to have been spending some dough.
Its just that bench last wednesday / sunday really concerned me.
Not a game changer in sight, defenders and plodders.

They seem to have been spending some dough.
Its just that bench last wednesday / sunday really concerned me.
Not a game changer in sight, defenders and plodders.

However, that bench would have been completely changed with Tav, Morelos, Helander and Stewart (for example) available. That’s, at the very least, two certain starters pushing others down into the bench, perhaps three.

He’s coming back as part of the 1st team squad. Was nothing to do with game time on his loan etc, SG wants him in his squad going forward.

By the way some of the comments on here are ridiculous, the boys done more in the SPFL than Jones and Barker in his half season at Motherwell and to say he wouldn’t get a game for development squad is just stupid.

I think Hastie coming back is a good thing, it gives us something different. He seemed to start his Rotherham loan quite brightly.

Edmundson has slotted in to do that job a couple of times mate.

He's bigger and stronger than McCrorie, probably quicker too, plus he's certainly a better passer of the ball.

It's the position he started his career in, so is comfortable enough there.

Polster can also dish it out and is also more comfortable on the ball than Ross, so that option was there for Gerrard , if he wanted.
Then why haven't they been used? I've seen no evidence that either Polster or Edmundson can do it better than Ross, have you?

Ross has destroyed the best and most physical midfields in this league.

And besides - Polster is cover for Tav and Ed for Helander.

Last edited:
Shocked at jones going . He’s hardly had a chance

I have to think Jones was either not someone Gerrard particularly wanted or he's failed to impress him in training.

The summer recruitment splurge when we were adding wide attackers like they were going out of fashion was always a bit of a head scratcher. With Allen being elbowed shortly afterwards there's a strong suspicion Gerrard said he wanted to bring in players for that role and Allen went out and signed a whole bunch of them - Jones, Hastie, Barker (I think Ojo might have been one Gerrard arranged himself given his Liverpool connections) that weren't of the quality the manager was looking for.

This was at a time when we still had Candeias on the books remember and Middleton was expected to play a role after impressing the previous season.

That we then went out to splash a huge fee on Kent could be viewed as a response to the players added failing to convince the manager they had that necessary ability.

Hastie had a great 2nd half of last season. He likes to turn inside and has a cracking shot on him.
Can't be any worse than barker.

It would seem that Jake Hastie did well a Rotherham initially but since October has only started for them in 2 games.
So there would appear to be some issues that require to be sorted.
So it would seem to be just a matter of pulling him back to Rangers.

Back