Jack Simpson signed on a pre-contract - confirmed

24 isn’t exactly classed as a prospect though, you’d expect players to be established by then

Fair point re getting better, no doubt the coaching team will turn him into a better player. Just trying to be realistic re expectations
Didn’t say it was a prospect, but 24 is still an age you’re going to get better. Look Ryan Jack for example, he was older when he signed and improved massively.

Good news.

Who will our 4 CBs be next season, do we think? This signing would suggest to me that Edmundson and possibly even Katic won't be around next season.

Didn’t say it was a prospect, but 24 is still an age you’re going to get better. Look Ryan Jack for example, he was older when he signed and improved massively.

Ryan jack was the captain of his club at that point so we knew what we were getting. Don’t think any fan could hand on heart say they expected him to turn out as good as he has though

As said, I’ll reserve judgement until I see him but if he’s anything more than a squad player I’ll hold my hands up

Anyone know if he’s right or left footed? In the footballing sense not the metaphorical one.

Ryan jack was the captain of his club at that point so we knew what we were getting. Don’t think any fan could hand on heart say they expected him to turn out as good as he has though

As said, I’ll reserve judgement until I see him but if he’s anything more than a squad player I’ll hold my hands up
Not saying he won’t be more than a squad player, truth is, we don’t know. Just saying players can improve and under the current coaching team, plenty have.

Can't say I know too much about the guy, however our ability to find hidden gems has been remarkable in recent years which makes this another exciting signing, and a low-risk/high-reward one at that. Welcome to The Famous big man!

Good news.

Who will our 4 CBs be next season, do we think? This signing would suggest to me that Edmundson and possibly even Katic won't be around next season.
This is a weird one.

Gerrard is on record saying we want Balogun for next season meaning right now we have..

Goldson
Katic
Helander
Balogun
Edmondson
Simpson

As first team CB's for next season.

It doesn't look good for Edmondson tbh but I hope we ain't planning on getting rid of Katic as I'm a big fan of his.

This is a weird one.

Gerrard is on record saying we want Balogun for next season meaning right now we have..

Goldson
Katic
Helander
Balogun
Edmondson
Simpson

It doesn't look good for Edmondson tbh but I hope we ain't planning on getting rid of Katic as I'm a big fan of his.
Edmundson is off, think that’s pretty obvious.

Katic could do with going out on loan for a season next season tbh - by the time he comes back, could then be Balogun to leave.

However, I think Katic will leave too. That’s an argument for a different thread about him though

This is a weird one.

Goldson
Katic
Helander
Balogun
Edmondson
Simpson

Niko will he loaned out at best, even if he is in Gerrards long term plans (not sure he is) he has missed a crucial year of development.

He needs to go get games, which he won’t here so he can get match sharp & continue to improve. I like him, but he needs to get better on the ball, improve positionally & get better with his decision making.

I would loan him to a team that have the ball in hopes that he improves with it, he’s a cracking siege defender but sadly we don’t need one.

This is a weird one.

Goldson
Katic
Helander
Balogun
Edmondson
Simpson

Safe to assume George is offski following his off-field misdemeanour. I love big Niko but probably not good enough on the ball currently to play for us.

Lovely jubbly, EPL experience, can play left sided, great age, strong, aggressive. Not a great deal of 1st team football so certainly someone we've pinpointed to shine up like a Diamond! Welcome aboard ! When is the Gerrard Express back in service?

The management team are really proving that they can spot & develop talent JMCK.

Why not with Simpson too ?
Exactly. This a player that Derby were interested in, and Tavernier has shown us that that there are players with potential out there. I'm not saying he will be as good as Tavernier, but the lesson is that we can't write off players if they play in lower leagues.

Happy with this. So that's us now have -

Goldson, Helander, Balogun, Edmundson, Katic & Simpson for next season. Surely one will be off.

Hope its not Balogun, hopefully we can get him for another year. I would loan Edmundson out for the full season tbh.

This is a weird one.

Goldson
Katic
Helander
Balogun
Edmondson
Simpson

Going for the old 5 - 5 - 0 Motherwell style!
I think it allows us the luxury of making a loan and/or making a sale of 1 of them without needing to panic and make last minute signings in the window, were literally 8 months ahead of covering all angles

Exactly. This a player that Derby were interested in, and Tavernier has shown us that that there are players with potential out there. I'm not saying he will be as good as Tavernier, but the lesson is that we can't write off players if they play in lower leagues.
I’m not sure using relegation candidates Derby’s interest is a good barometer of his ability mate, but I actually agree :))

24 isn’t exactly classed as a prospect though, you’d expect players to be established by then

Fair point re getting better, no doubt the coaching team will turn him into a better player. Just trying to be realistic re expectations
Seems that people are being realistic with this signing. He's not a superstar. He's here to compete with Helander for the left sided position.

Goldson was diagnosed with an extremely serious heart condition which is what held him back.
Simpson played 6 on the bounce in December when they thought they could convince him to stay, we've pinched him from under their noses. Lovely stealth business again, in and out under the radar with minimum fuss or getting tangled up in a mess

He not played a lot of games but centre backs do not peck until late in their twenties. He is a good age now to establish himself in the team but will have huge competition in this team

I’m not sure using relegation candidates Derby’s interest is a good barometer of his ability mate, but I actually agree :))
What about Cardiff? And anyway, there is a subtle contradiction in your comment. Why would Derby, going down, want a defender if they didn't think he would help them stay up?

Never seen this guy play but Gerrard seems a big fan so I will trust his judgement.
It’s great to see us doing our business so far in advance and planning a few windows in advance. Our squad can only get stronger and that’s a great thing!

Happy with this. So that's us now have -

Goldson, Helander, Balogun, Edmundson, Katic & Simpson for next season. Surely one will be off.

Hope its not Balogun, hopefully we can get him for another year. I would loan Edmundson out for the full season tbh.
He has no future with us. He’ll only be loaned if No1 wants to sign him

This is a weird one.

Goldson
Katic
Helander
Balogun
Edmondson
Simpson

Signs show he will be sent out on loan. Get a good 40 games a season under his belt will do him the world of good.

Im pleased with this as hes a step down from players currently in that position. He could improve with that season away

What about Cardiff? And anyway, there is a subtle contradiction in your comment. Why would Derby, going down, want a defender if they didn't think he would help them stay up?
It’s more the fact he is having to drop down to a team fighting relegation, as opposed to staying at a team challenging for the title. Which would suggest it’s not necessarily the best example to use.

Like I said, I agree with you & think he will be a good signing as I know he is a good player who we can develop.

Back