Jack Simpson signed on a pre-contract - confirmed

Good to hear another pre contract player signed.

I think Edmondson will be sold and Katic loaned out for next season. Balogun has an option in his contract for another season. If we can't get Goldson to sign a new deal, we'll have to move him on and sign another central defender.

Welcome Jack!

Mixed reviews from the Bournemouth fans. Goldson had hardly played much either. Trust Gerrard and Wilson on this on he must have something about him.

Good to see us doing our business for next season early doors.

These players including Wright will not replace big names being sold. If that happens then we need to spend serious dough.

The big name players being sold (!!) were not big names when signed. Playing for Rangers, improving them under SG's coaching staff, is what made them big names.

I have faith that SG and Ross Wilson know what they are doing. Players will leave in the summer and replacements sought but at the cheap end of the market where quality can still be bought if you scout in the right places.

Hopefully sell Edmundson back to some middle table English league 1 side and get Katic out on loan to a decent league with the option of a recall.

Goldson, Helander, Balogun, Simpson as our 4 CB options next year. 2 left footed and 2 right footed.

He hasn't had a lot of first team experience but for the last three seasons he had Nathan Ake in front of him who, aside from being a great defender, was also pretty much injury free. In my humble opinion he gets better with a run in the side and Stevie must rate him so hopefully he will improve.

Must admit, I do remember seeing him for Bournemouth in the PL and thinking "He has to be one of the worst defenders I've ever seen at this level".

I do hope I'm eating my words very soon..

He’s 24. Players can get better

I imagine he’s in and Edmundson is away, possibly Katic too.

Katic is a very good player. He will need time to get back to full fitness from his injury but I for one would be very reluctant to simply write off the big guy.

I saw him on TV in the EPL and I recall thinking for a big guy with pace and height (6'4 or thereabouts) he was getting caught out a bit. But I think it was more to do with Bournemouths shape and system at the time. Their defence seemed to change every week.

Mind you playing against some of the forwards in the EPL must be a bit of a shift.

There's next season's 4 CBs sorted already.

Goldson
Helander
Balogun
Simpson

Katic out on loan to get some well needed game time.. Edmundson sold.

Does anyone know for definite this lad height? Seem he grows a good few inches depending on what site you go on.

Please note Duffy was playing a lot in the EPL
Exactly transfers aren't all black and white Kent isn't remembered fondly at Bristol City for example but is a top player for us just because Simpson isn't a star at Bournemouth doesn't mean our coaches can develop him into a top defender

Don't know much about the boy but he fits the profile. Young enough to mould, develop and sell for a good profit after some productive years.

Welcome to the club, Jack.

The big name players being sold (!!) were not big names when signed. Playing for Rangers, improving them under SG's coaching staff, is what made them big names.

I have faith that SG and Ross Wilson know what they are doing. Players will leave in the summer and replacements sought but at the cheap end of the market where quality can still be bought if you scout in the right places.
The now big names took a fair bit of time to settle in and produce the end product of winning the league.
I still class say 2 to 4 million as a lot of money, thats what some cost with the odd exception like Kamara.

I can't see us selling Katic maybe a years loan to hearts to build his knee back up to strength. Hes still young for a CB and a future regular international so has huge sell on potential

There are so e really high quality players not getting first team football in the EOL and the Championship.
Let’s hope we have signed a player who will be the next Goldson.

Good value to be had with these sort of deals from England. Likely see Edmunson sold or loaned next season assuming all others stay

I like the way our management/recruitment team do everything under the radar.

Just a few weeks ago i recall SG saying there were no plans for any players to come in or go out...with a straight face as well. B-D

Edmundson is no where near the level required, that’s even discounting the covid rules he broke

Realistically he needs upgraded in the summer
He’s fucked it now I agree but that assessment is harsh.
He’s got the tools to make a decent player for me. Quick, strong and a good passer. He needs to improve positionally but he’s still very young for a a CH

As for Simpson. Welcome to the club. I’ll trust the managers judgment on this one. He’s not to shabby at picking a decent defender

Good to see we have young guys capable of playing a few positions, Patterson plays further forward for Scotland too!.

I love Patterson. He’s going to be the one who breaks the ice mate.

Hopefully quickly followed by others.

Sandy Jardine & Alan Hutton both, I’m sure, started as centre forwards. Nathan needs to get up there to secure a long successful future.

Definitely played defence in the past, been playing midfield for Arbroath & was the best player on the pitch on Friday.
EB he defo was midfield in Rangers youth games I seen at firhill , the CL ones and like you say played there for Arbroath last Friday . looks very much a MF player too doesn’t look like he was schooled in defence imo .

Just found this it’s Simpson’s debut from Oct 2017 and he scores opener .

EB he defo was midfield in Rangers youth games I seen at firhill , the CL ones and like you say played there for Arbroath last Friday . looks very much a MF player too doesn’t look like he was schooled in defence imo .

Just found this it’s Simpson’s debut from Oct 2017 and he scores opener .
He played CB in the YC final against the mentally challengeds 3-2 & on some other occasions I watched, he does look like a good midfielder though.

Does anyone know for definite this lad height? Seem he grows a good few inches depending on what site you go on.
Unless his teammates are midgets, he must be well over 6ft.

First choice:

Goldson and Helander

Backup:

Simpson (left centre half)
Balogun (right centre half)

Katic/Fridge - one sold and one sent out on loan to come back and replace Balogun the following season.

The ideal scenario.
I reckon both Katic and Edmundson will be loaned out to get them in the market. Don’t see any of them having a long term future here. Leon King probably promoted from the youths to replace Balogun next year.

If we tried to sign him a year ago then Simpson decided to just see out his contract. It could explain his lack of appearances. Frozen out in favour of someone else who is there longer term.

Back