Jack Simpson

Just a nagging doubt on him, imo.

He appears soft.

He’s here to stay. Gerrard won’t ship him out.

He needs to be more aggressive in the tackle and his duels.

It’s maybe just the left foot, but he plays a bit like Wilson, who I also thought was too soft at the core.

bit of hyperbole there
he had a couple of brain farts coming out of defence that were rectified
at their goal he was fouled and other players didn't cover themselves in glory

rest of the game he did absolutely fine
He was a bombscare that entire game and IIRC the St Johnstone game we drew around that same time he was extremely poor as well. He’s got very little football experience despite being nearly 25 which is also concerning. I think he’s only played about 40 games in his entire career and couldn’t get near a Bournemouth team that were struggling in the Championship last season.

It's madness writing him off so early.

I can remember a large percentage of this forum wanting Borna sold after his first season and looked how that turned out.
Barasic was rightfully critisised for his mentality,which was fixable , Simpson imo can't defend. He has speed and can pass a ball but he's is not natural defender and in fact has been very poor under any pressure.

He was a bombscare that entire game and IIRC the St Johnstone game we drew around that same time he was extremely poor as well. He’s got very little football experience despite being nearly 25 which is also concerning. I think he’s only played about 40 games in his entire career and couldn’t get near a Bournemouth team that were struggling in the Championship last season.
Livingston away was also a huge cause for concern with him.

I'm not writing him off but he's yet to have a good competitive game for us

Aberdeen last game of the season as well

O don't see it happening with him but would be happy to be wrong.

I'm really hoping Katic comes bag strong as I felt he could have been great for us.

He appears soft.

It’s maybe just the left foot, but he plays a bit like Wilson, who I also thought was too soft at the core.
He was more aggressive yesterday , think the management team have worked on that with him.

I've already linked and timestamped that corner in this thread mate so I've just seen it.

Edouard should have been picked up but Simpson ball watching leads to Ajer getting a free header, that's the beginning of the end.

i’m out, this is turning in to the usual trying to find the next whipping boy.

its like saying Goldson should be binned for Madrid’s goal yesterday.

i’m out, this is turning in to the usual trying to find the next whipping boy.

its like saying Goldson should be binned for Madrid’s goal yesterday.
It’s nothing like that at all and I’m not trying to make Simpson the whipping boy.

Why start a conversation about something and then feign outrage instantly?

I don't rate Simpson he just appears to be too weak and not good enough, looks very suspect.

Just remember he was a 5th choice defender from Bournemouth with limited game time.

Would happily see him sold.

He appears soft.

Thankfully he's a far better central defender than Wilson @Crouchy.

I agree he's not showing the same physicality as our 3 main central defenders yet, but he's way quicker, better in the air and a better set piece marker than Wilson was.

Simpson seems to be the next player to be written off by a large portion of the support with no real reasoning other than “he disnae look the part”

Good for the op to raise this issue. I agree that there is a player somewhere in there and that we have yet to see the best of him. SG has obviously seen something that he reckons is worth the risk. Re the tärrier game, he did lose out at least twice to the Ed guy, and I noticed in the Real match he committed a similar mistake after Goldson failed to stop the ball and the Real player nicked it off Simpson in and around the box. Apart from that wobble he seemed to do fine. Early days yet and I’ll wait to see how he plays the rest of the season, but he will have to improve his game overall.

Thankfully he's a far better central defender than Wilson @Crouchy.

I agree he's not showing the same physicality as our 3 main central defenders yet, but he's way quicker, better in the air and a better set piece marker than Wilson was.
There is no evidence to suggest he is stronger in the air and better at set pieces than Wilson. He’d be behind Katic and even Edmundson for me in the pecking order.

Last edited:
Simpson seems to be the next player to be written off by a large portion of the support with no real reasoning other than “he disnae look the part”
That's just untrue. He's made mistakes and looked very shaky at times - It's totally fair for fans to have doubts or not rate him based on what he's shown so far.

You are allowed to not think every Rangers player is great. If we had someone as bad as Barkas you'd still have folk on here backing him.

Because he isn't anywhere near the quality of Goldson/Helander and to a certain extent Balogun that's why.

Looks every inch a 5th choice Bournemouth defender.

I think he has potential to be a decent player for us, surprised he's getting as much flak as he is. Jury is still out for me.

There is no evidence to back that up so far though.

Well actually there is mate.

I've seen him run and he's definitely way quicker than Wilson was and I've seen enough of him to know that he's far better in the air than Wilson was.

Not a huge endorsement I know, as Wilson was a dreadful central defender and I've still got doubts about Simpson.
I do see some improvement from last season though.

Thought he was a bit shaky at the end of last season, he has done fine pre season but there is no doubt he is levels below our top 3 centre backs

He has been signed to be 4th choice. He’s pretty decent for 4th choice but not a future starter like some want to believe. If Helander goes we would be looking for a new centre back.

There always needs to be a player getting criticised on here. Some on this thread have been very harsh towards Simpson when he’s only had a handful of games.

Sure it could be a concern the amount of games he’s played and it may turn out that he’s never good enough to command a starting position, but let’s at least give the guy a chance and see what working with Gerrard and the coaching staff and playing along side quality defenders can do for him before completing writing him off.

Last edited:
Simpson's still got plenty to prove but writing him off at this stage is nonsense.

Byt what does worry me is that he is a bit of a bombscare with his tackles. I can see him picking up too many yellows and even reds.

There is no evidence to suggest he may stronger in the air and better at set pieces than Wilson. He’d be behind Katic and even Edmundson for me in the pecking order.

He's miles ahead of Wilson, but if Katic is fully fit then he looks a better 4th choice than Simpson for me.

However, watching Niko on Saturday, you can see he's still got a long way to go before he'll be considered for our 1st team squad again.

Gerrard said as much in his Brighton post match interview.

I also think Gerrard likes the fact that Simpson is naturally left sided.

He does need to continue to improve though imo.

Was absolutely sound yesterday and seems more comfortable with every game.

He's definitely going to be our 4th choice central defender this season, so a few on here better get used to it.
He needs to be judged on his more recent performances, as opposed to how he performed last season.

He's a level below our 3 main central defenders, but he's definitely improving imo.
Main prerequisite of a central defender is to defend.
I have seen no signs that he is good in the tackle or good in the air, unlike our other CD's.
Unlike some, i will not completely write him off but i am not comfortable with him starting any major game in any partnership, at this this moment.
Judged on recent performances.

It's not surprising to see most of the comments considering lots of the shitebags on here thought we'd struggle in the last game against Celtic because he was starting. There was a whole embarrassing thread of it, we went on to win the game at a canter.

He joined without playing regular football and needed to build his match fitness during the season. It wasn't surprising he didn't look up to speed when first involved.

He's our fourth choice centre half, he'll be fine. He's there so we can manage the game time of the regular centre halves as last year, we ended up losing two of them to injury multiple times. You can see why he was bought, in games where we're dominant, he provides natural balance by being left footed and has a great range of passing.

Last edited:
The patrons of FF set a high bar,the guy is just in the door and many have written him off already.Thankfully the management will make their own judgement.
I remember back when McCoist then Hately initially struggled and fans were howling to get them out of the Club.It wasn't that long ago big Goldson wasn't considered good enough even Kent was being chased.
IMO he is calm on the ball and could develop into a good centre half.

Even if he doesn’t cut and we sell him at the end of the season for 750k - 1 mil then that’s good business since he was free

He played safety first i think the guy recognised that real Madrid is a level above him. Buts that's fine with me, as I say play to your strengths even under extreme challenges

Maybe he just suspected that FF would be ful of experts queueing up to be the first to write him off at every possible opportunity, like on this thread.
In fact, I'm totally surprised Gerrard and his team of coaches don't sound some of us out more often on the calibre of players they sign TBH.

It's madness writing him off so early.

I can remember a large percentage of this forum wanting Borna sold after his first season and looked how that turned out.
He can't have played more than a dozen games for us and far too early yet,he's barely got settled. I think we have to trust the gaffer on this one. See how he does in the league. Like you say the clammer for Borna to go was just ridiculous and look how he's turned out.

Must be so hard to perform when you have so many guys on your back from day one.

Difference between us and them all their players including the crap ones are massively overvalued by them and a compliant media.

We undervalue our players and want to get rid of players who will not make the grade telling everyone how bad they are and then wonder why we do not get decent money for players when we try to flog them.

I must admit I feel nervous sometines when he is on the ball but he has shown flashes iofbeing a good defender and I'm certainly not writing him off, I think he will be fine in the Spl as 4th choice.

think i have seen every game Jack Simpson has featured for Rangers and the only real mistake i recall him making was losing his man (Ajer) for the Celtic goal in the 4-1 game - other than that i don't recall him making any major mistakes - aye misplaced a pass - aye been out of position etc , but he's certainly not been a bombscare that some on here would make you believe.

is he as good as Goldson / Helander / Balogun - no thats why hes 4th choice but they are all much older and more experienced than Jack Simpson (4/5 years) how do people think Simpson will be in 4/5 years with the right development?

He's fine for where he is in the pecking order..... early rounds of cups etc to give others a rest. As long as we keep or add to the quality ahead of him I'm fine with him being here.

Back