Jack Simpson

Thought he's looked fine lately tbh. looked to be decent on the ball with a good bit of pace. Not 100 percent convinced by him but some of criticism I feel is unfair. Time will tell wether he makes it or not but I certainly wouldn't be writing the lad off after a handful of games.
Very strange aswel some of the people shagging ajer the other week and telling us how wonderful he is are the same ones desperate to let us know that they think Simpson isnt good enough.

Not a fan yet. My concern is that he won't get the minutes in games he needs to improve unless we have an injury crisis, at which point we'll be relying on a player in likely important games who hasn't had the minutes required to improve - classic Catch 22.

He does have five league starts now, and got plenty of time in pre-season, so it's understandable that people have started to form an opinion of him.

Did pretty well yesterday but the jury is still out for me.

Think Wright has came on leaps and bounds though, was disappointed to see him go off yesterday.

Would have rather kept Edmundson - who I think is a far better prospect. Seemed to really take the brunt of that Covid breach which he should regret for the rest of his playing days.

OK, he's not a Helander or a Goldson but he is younger and faster than both of them. He can also pass a ball better than the others. My only real complaint about him is the number of yellow cards he gets. It looks as though when he makes a mistake, he fouls the opposing player to make up for it and gets booked. That is something that can be coached out of him by Gerrard and Beale the way they did it with Alfie.
Don't panic guys.

Did pretty well yesterday but the jury is still out for me.

Think Wright has came on leaps and bounds though, was disappointed to see him go off yesterday.

Wright going off was no reflection on his performance mate, he played very well.

It was simply a case of him getting the right amount of game time over the 2 matches.

He's a naturally left footed, left sided CB who will act as cover and rotation for Helander. Realistically, he's going to start 15-25 games this season in all competitions (When the season will hopefully be 60+ games)

Good range of passing, cool as a cucumber when being pressed, good recovery pace and decent in the tackle.

His weaknesses were a lack of aggression in the challenge (which looks like it's been worked on), set-piece concentration (then again the whole defence suffers from that every now and again) and the amount of experience he has at a senior level.

I think he's a good defender, personally.

Im not one for knee jerk reactions in writing players off but Ive got to be honest in that I just dont see it with simpson.

He just looks really shaky, not defensively strong enough, not physically strong enough and when I watch him I just get the feeling there is a mistake in him.

I get he is technically probably 4th choice but for me, I dont think he is what we need.

Im sure the coaches will be working on his weaknesses and to be fair I did pretty much write off Borna at one point as a Ranger so what do I know :))
I'm not writing him off but I agree with a lot of your points here. He just doesn't seem to be fully committed in the tackle, so doesn't win enough cleanly. Always seems to be a bobble or ricochet between him and the attacker and every so often, he loses out and puts us on the back foot.

He seems a decent enough footballer. Positioning is OK - but he needs to adjust his game and find a little bit more (targetted) aggression. Otherwise, he will struggle to make an impact.

Looks decent on the ball but he seems to have 1 big mistake a game when you are only allowed one a season here. Hopefully a few more games and he irons out those mistakes

The same was said about Borna and Aribo.

So personally I would say, back our players and more than likely you’ll assist them to being the player Gerrard and the coaching staff see him to be.
he is hardly going to be reading follow follow is he. back all our players on the park.....

I think time will tell. Madness to write off a PL CB so early in his rangers career....

In order to make it at rangers and be a successful starter he will require a lot of coaching, but lets be honest that's why we managed to get him. If he was the finished article he would have stayed in the prem. English, 24, left footed, 6'2, comfortable on the ball, half decent pace.

Offensively he is fine: able to pick a pass and can travel with the ball to trigger a press from the opposition.

Defensively he is poor. Positionally not great at times and decision making on when to try and win the ball vs jockey is poor. There is a mistake in him.

If he can improve those things then he will be a great CB for us. He will learn a tremendous amount from Helander, whose defensive decision making is probably the best at the club.

I know he has not set the heather on fire, but some players take a while to adapt to a new club and surroundings.

I think he had a steady game against Real Madrid, and it looks like he is starting to settle into our squad.

I can now see little signs of why he was bought, some of his passes out of defence were excellent and he has a fair bit of pace about him.

The jury is still out for me, but now he is heading in the right direction. Hopefully, he can keep progressing under our excellent coaching and go on to prove himself an asset to the club.
Totally agree.

Borna, Wright, Itten, Simpson...
All players written off by muppets having needed some time to settle and having not played much in most accounts. It's almost as if the coaching staff are clueless and have no idea how to improve players so they're written off by people with much superior knowledge of the game who post on Follow Follow. Truth is most players have been improved given time and Simpson will be another in a long line to shut people up.

I recall Helander being as slow as a week in jail and never going to be cut out for us.

Last edited:
I think time will tell. Madness to write off a PL CB so early in his rangers career....

In order to make it at rangers and be a successful starter he will require a lot of coaching, but lets be honest that's why we managed to get him. If he was the finished article he would have stayed in the prem. English, 24, left footed, 6'2, comfortable on the ball, half decent pace.

Offensively he is fine: able to pick a pass and can travel with the ball to trigger a press from the opposition.

Defensively he is poor. Positionally not great at times and decision making on when to try and win the ball vs jockey is poor. There is a mistake in him.

If he can improve those things then he will be a great CB for us. He will learn a tremendous amount from Helander, whose defensive decision making is probably the best at the club.
premier league cb

lets be honest mate how many games did he play there

for his age hes played hardly any football
were evolving and getting better every year

strange people writing off katic but pinning there hopes on a pl cb with no experience

Borna, Wright, Itten, Simpson...
All players written off by muppets having needed some time to settle and having not played much in most accounts. It's almost as if the coaching staff are clueless and have no idea how to improve players so they're written off by people with much superior knowledge of the game who post on Follow Follow. Truth is most players have been improved given time and Simpson will be another in a long line to shut people up.
Kent

Bad comparison.

Borna was only 2 years older than Simpson is now, and despite his shakey start he had a lot to fall back on to show he had ability.

- His performances against us
- Captaining a strong Osijek side
- Winning a big move to the top Croatian club
- 4 Croatia caps
- 145 games at a good level where he showed his ability and performed well

Simpson, despite being 24, has next to nothing to fall back on.
What difference does any of that make? players develop and progress at different rates. Simspon, regardless of age, is clearly in the development phase under Gerrard. None of us have saw anywhere near enough of him to be 100% either way how we will progress in the next year or 2.

Do the same calculation again for Jamie Vardy and Theo Walcott and tell me which player you would rather have?

Not seen enough of him to judge just yet. From what I have seen he seems ok though, not good enough to start but fine as a squad player. Far too early to say he isn’t good enough IMO

Well actually there is mate.

I've seen him run and he's definitely way quicker than Wilson was and I've seen enough of him to know that he's far better in the air than Wilson was.

Not a huge endorsement I know, as Wilson was a dreadful central defender and I've still got doubts about Simpson.
I do see some improvement from last season though.
The ones that are giving it to him are probably the same people that stuck it to Kamara and are now claiming he is wonderful, I have a feeling that after Simpson has done a few stints in the gym the same people will be back saying the same thing about him.

Lots of players take time to find their feet. I remember when Craig Moore first started with us, he got absolute pelters from everyone around me in the CR for a long time but he eventually found his feet & became a solid player. I could name dozens of other players in the same boat.

From the two half’s he played at the weekend he did well , I tend to judge on what a player is doing now not what he has done 3 months ago.
Balagun made a couple of ricks at the weekend that could have cost goals but that doesn’t get mentioned , funny that.

What difference does any of that make? players develop and progress at different rates. Simspon, regardless of age, is clearly in the development phase under Gerrard. None of us have saw anywhere near enough of him to be 100% either way how we will progress in the next year or 2.

Do the same calculation again for Jamie Vardy and Theo Walcott and tell me which player you would rather have?
Jamie Vardy was actually performing, despite it being at a lower level. Spent 2 years ripping it up in L1/L2 and signed for Leicester at 23/24. His career is more similar to Joe Aribo’s.

Jamie Vardy was actually performing, despite it being at a lower level. Spent 2 years ripping it up in L1/L2 and signed for Leicester at 23/24. His career is more similar to Joe Aribo’s.
vardy was older and aribo had a good few clubs after him and well thought of

dont really see the comparison

Squad player that is more than capable of playing his part.

Horses for courses and he will play certain games when injury / suspension / player rest dictate.

Squad player that is more than capable of playing his part.

Horses for courses and he will play certain games when injury / suspension / player rest dictate.
shouldnt we be signing players to challange the best cb pairing
helander and goldson

I'm not sure if it is his first touch or some indecision but there is something in his play that makes me nervous. It may be his nerves that I am seeing.

Once he has control of the ball he looks to be sure enough of foot that my edginess leaves, it is just that first second or two. I expect it will leave him as he plays more. Our coaches have shown an ability to improve practically everyone that comes into the squad and he should end up fine.

His positioning is pretty good and you can see him looking for his partner all the time.

He's not there yet in my opinion but certainly nothing to worry about if given the time to develop.

I don't think he's been as bad as made out, I doubt he'd be here if Katic hadn't been injured, then Edmondson having his Covid issue.
I think he'll struggle to win people over as he's not Katic and he'll be compared to him if Katic is put out on loan.

I wouldn't be entirely shocked if we kept him with us this season, and he was coached but given little minutes and was seen as the long term replacement from Goldson.

We do seem to have tiered our CB's quite well for the timeline of our next squad by stacking it with numbers to develop with the idea of players being here as replacements when others move on.

With names like Veerman being linked it looks like we might try and do that in midfield as well, we don't just sign for the short term these days.

You're missing the point - Vardy at 23/24 was nowhere near the player Vardy at 30 was, was he? Players develop at different rates and under different coaching teams. Give Simpson time before binning him off.

You're missing the point - Vardy at 23/24 was nowhere near the player Vardy at 30 was, was he? Players develop at different rates and under different coaching teams. Give Simpson time before binning him off.
theres a reason hes played so few of games, hes just not very good

wait until he makes a goal im sure peoples minds will change

His first couple of games he was shaky but he's nowhere near as bad as made out on here. He was great in the Celtic game and has been since.
His range of passing is great too, he'll be fine.
Agree with this. It's so weird how people will write some players off after only a few games. This was even before he got a preseason into him. He's still a work in progress but the Celtic game showed he he has some quality.

theres a reason hes played so few of games, hes just not very good
That is an incredibly selective "reason" he spent a fair % of his career trying to break into a side who had a 20+ capped Dutch International who would move to Man City in their side and oust a guy who was a club captain and in reality a club legend.

He has spent a decent % of his career as a bench option for an EPL side rather than simply kicking around lower league football never getting minutes.

He doesn't improve the first 11, but you do need some strength in depth so given that he will be 4th choice it is a low risk signing. He will have been cheap, so if he plays a reasonable amount of games he may be able to be moved on for a bit of cash, or he improves to the point he can be a decent squad player.

What I don't understand is that when he was getting a few games as a young player coming through in the EPL why he didn't go out on loan and develop somewhere to the point where he either made the grade or moved on. He has very little playing experience, so I expect some seasoned pros to give him a bit of a hard time.

Back