Jack Simpson

That is an incredibly selective "reason" he spent a fair % of his career trying to break into a side who had a 20+ capped Dutch International who would move to Man City in their side and oust a guy who was a club captain and in reality a club legend.

He has spent a decent % of his career as a bench option for an EPL side rather than simply kicking around lower league football never getting minutes.
possibly no one wanted to loan him

all this epl team he was a bench warmer for bournemouth ffs

With the budget at their disposal Bournemouth could have simply moved him on and replaced him.

re your second point, see Jermain Defoe.
defoe couldnt get in there team so point stands mate

gerrard never put him in the euro squad , explain that1

From what i've seen, my gut is that he'll end up on the same path as Edmondson, but i'd be delighted if he proved me wrong.

I know he has not set the heather on fire, but some players take a while to adapt to a new club and surroundings.

I think he had a steady game against Real Madrid, and it looks like he is starting to settle into our squad.

I can now see little signs of why he was bought, some of his passes out of defence were excellent and he has a fair bit of pace about him.

The jury is still out for me, but now he is heading in the right direction. Hopefully, he can keep progressing under our excellent coaching and go on to prove himself an asset to the club.
Gives me The jitters any time the ball comes his way.:oops:

defoe couldnt get in there team so point stands mate

gerrard never put him in the euro squad , explain that1
Why a team that really struggled to score,
would let Defoe spend 90 minutes on the
bench.had me scratching my head week after week.Howe totally mismanaged him.

Think I was at the front of the queue in not fancying him but to be fair I think he's been much improved in the past 2 appearances.

He still looks more like a tall footballer rather than an actual central defender but he does seem a bit more physical - maybe had some of Scott Wright's diet. Also, it should be noted that none of those teams were ever likely to rummel him up the way an spfl side will

Im not one for knee jerk reactions in writing players off but Ive got to be honest in that I just dont see it with simpson.

He just looks really shaky, not defensively strong enough, not physically strong enough and when I watch him I just get the feeling there is a mistake in him.

I get he is technically probably 4th choice but for me, I dont think he is what we need.

Im sure the coaches will be working on his weaknesses and to be fair I did pretty much write off Borna at one point as a Ranger so what do I know :))

I probably agree with the vast majority of your post LB, but when you think of how dramatically so many of our squad have improved in the last 3 years, I actually hesitate to write him off.

Our 4th or 5th choice cb is not ripping up trees, yet, coming to a club of our size takes a bit of getting used to, people were wanting rid of Borna ffs, I have faith in Wilson and Gerrards ability to spot a player.

fair enough 28 games out 3 years says alot though
Bournemouth was my home before I came to Canada.I was so happy when The Cherries made it to the premiership.
I watched all their games,(Canadian TV)and got so frustrated with the management,especially
leaving a natural goal scorer on the bench,
while no one on the pitch looked like scoring.

I probably agree with the vast majority of your post LB, but when you think of how dramatically so many of our squad have improved in the last 3 years, I actually hesitate to write him off.
True Grigo. But with those the coaching staff have brought on you could normally at least see some raw tools to start with. I don’t take any pleasure in saying it, but I just don’t see that in Simpson. He just looks soft to me and I don’t think he reads the game well. I don’t even think his distribution is all it is cracked up to be. I hope I am wrong, but I just don’t see much to be encouraged about with him. The drop off from Goldson, Helander and Balogun on the one hand to Simpson on the other looks very stark to me. And in a hopefully 60+ game season, I do think we need a decent 4th centre half. And all the more so in this COVID world we are living in. I am not sure what the answer is. Maybe in a month or two Katic will be up to speed. Maybe we’ll buy someone - that wouldn’t surprise me at all, especially if we qualify for the CL and / or make a big money sale or two.

Havent read the thread by my tuppence worth is that he looks ok, strong...gets close the striker consistently but in doing so might risk the wrath of the ref, a booking waiting to happen perhaps. He's going to have to be a bit smarter to avoid a reputation.

Went up in my estimation for the very vocal criticism he gave Jones on 85 mins yesterday. I was sitting there thinking wtf is Jones doing he's not even paying attention. It was very obvious the how the play would unfold and Jones was completely oblivious as he easily let Real gain possession and play out. Simpson was screaming at him along the lines of "JJ! JJ! Gonna do SOMETHING!!!" and then they argued back and forth a bit.

It appears he's getting 'the special treatment' up here.

In 37 appearances for Bournemouth down in England he had 3 yellow cards to his name.

After 6 appearances in Scotland he's already on three, he also got a 4th yellow in yesterday's friendly from yes - a Scottish ref. :mad:

True Grigo. But with those the coaching staff have brought on you could normally at least see some raw tools to start with. I don’t take any pleasure in saying it, but I just don’t see that in Simpson. He just looks soft to me and I don’t think he reads the game well. I don’t even think his distribution is all it is cracked up to be. I hope I am wrong, but I just don’t see much to be encouraged about with him. The drop off from Goldson, Helander and Balogun on the one hand to Simpson on the other looks very stark to me. And in a hopefully 60+ game season, I do think we need a decent 4th centre half. And all the more so in this COVID world we are living in. I am not sure what the answer is. Maybe in a month or two Katic will be up to speed. Maybe we’ll buy someone - that wouldn’t surprise me at all, especially if we qualify for the CL and / or make a big money sale or two.

I don’t disagree with any of your point Ald.

To me, the way he was basically outmuscled by AJER for Celtic’s goal in the 4,1 game was embarrassing. That was a first for Ajer. So I do agree with you.

All I’m saying is that Gerrard’s judgment has been very good in general and, additionally, him & his team have significantly improved a load of players over the last 3 years.

I’m just saying despite what my personal instinct
I’d rather give him time. Don’t get me wrong, if you look at others, we really should be expecting a dramatic improvement this season, because he has ‘a lot of development opportunity’ LOL

I've watched it countless times since it happened, he gets beat in the air but he's not the one to leave Edouard free in the six yard box. Blaming Simpson for that when others are equally (and more) at fault is mental
It's a team game up until the next FF whipping boy is being written off early, we've all seen this movie many times and fairly often ends in a happy ending. Like with big Borna

I think we’re ALL correct on this one. Madness to write him off so early, and so far we suspect he might be a bit soft and hasn’t shown enough to convince us he’ll make it.

I’ve not been that impressed with him so far but hope to be proved wrong. I don’t think he’s good enough to dislodge Goldson, Helander or Balogun but probably can do a job in the SPFL when called upon. My early impression is that he looks like a centre back with a mistake in him and doesn’t strike me as commanding or look like he reads the game as well as the others. He need to improve that quickly.

As other posters have said, Barisic shows we should be cautious about writing players off too quickly. However, the difference with Simpson is that he’s British so is not having to adapt to a new culture or completely different style of play. I also think in his position with the competition he has he’ll find it difficult to get a sustained run of games.

He didn't have a good game at all that day, was at fault for their goal and almost gifted them another one.
Shows you how opinions differ, I thought he strolled that game and was very clever in not commiting himself to a situation where he would get sent off for a second booking.

A lot are writing him off and what I will say is I have seen improvement in his game from when he first made an appearance.
Hopefully he keeps on improving and becomes a bit of a player.

How precious are some of you lads?

It’s a football forum. We are fans. We are entitled to air opinions and judge players on what we see to date.

Would you rather no player was discussed until they’d played a full season?

To date, he’s been average at best. Folks have listed his weaknesses.

Whipping boy etc - chill out. If he’s good enough he’ll make it. If he doesn’t sharpen up and toughen up, then he likely won’t.

Don’t see the issue, tbh.

How precious are some of you lads?

It’s a football forum. We are fans. We are entitled to air opinions and judge players on what we see to date.

Would you rather no player was discussed until they’d played a full season?

To date, he’s been average at best. Folks have listed his weaknesses.

Whipping boy etc - chill out. If he’s good enough he’ll make it. If he doesn’t sharpen up and toughen up, then he likely won’t.

Don’t see the issue, tbh.

Not very staunch of you.

He obviously deserves time like every player, but I’d be a massive liar if I said I feel confident with him in our defence.

Will be fine coming in against some of the cannon fodder in Scotland. Beyond that it's up to him to show a bit more. Not set the heather alight but he's miles ahead of some of the shite we've had over the past 10 year.

The happy clappers are worse than the ott guys on here, you cant even discuss the pros and cons of a player without somebody losing their shit because you are being a meanie and hurting peoples feelings.

Last edited:
I know he has not set the heather on fire, but some players take a while to adapt to a new club and surroundings.

I think he had a steady game against Real Madrid, and it looks like he is starting to settle into our squad.

I can now see little signs of why he was bought, some of his passes out of defence were excellent and he has a fair bit of pace about him.

The jury is still out for me, but now he is heading in the right direction. Hopefully, he can keep progressing under our excellent coaching and go on to prove himself an asset to the club.
Looks like a reasonable 4th choice or so who can learn and develop playing beside Goldson, Balogun and Helander.

Yet to be seen if he’ll become good enough to become a first choice when they move on, but he has time and he’s only been here 6 months.

Back