Jack Simpson

He was bombed out the squad as a result of the covid lunacy
Not to mention the fact that he had his own career to think about. He got first-team football at Derby last season and Ipswich paid good money to bring him down and make him a starting player. People over-simplify our outgoings a lot.

We turned down bids of 8 million for a player who got caught up in Covid lunacy.

There was clearly a difference with the situations. Gerrard said as much and the club even appealed Patterson and Co's suspensions.

Jones and Edmundson sealed their fate by breaking lockdown rules.

We turned down bids of 8 million for a player who got caught up in Covid lunacy.
Very different situations and clearly Patterson is more of an asset to the club

Neither Edmundson or Simpson are the quality we’d like at center back but I felt more comfortable with Edmundson playing than I ever have with Simpson playing.

Again, nothing personally towards the lad just don’t think he’s good enough and struggle to see what Gerrard and co saw in him over the years we tracked him and why we signed him on a long term deal.

There was clearly a difference with the situations. Gerrard said as much and the club even appealed Patterson and Co's suspensions.

Jones and Edmundson sealed their fate by breaking lockdown rules.

He also said the following if you want to take him at his word,

"We'll now move forward and try to get these players both back to where they need to be," Gerrard said.

"They've gone about it the right way since they've accepted their punishments."

"I spoke to them both individually and they were both very sad over the incident," he said. "They were remorseful, apologetic and full of regret.

"They first and foremost wanted to apologise to the supporters and their team-mates for their actions. Now it's about me giving them the support and managing the two to come back to being top players - because they're good players. We need them here to help and support us."

So the departure of Edmundson wasn't just Covid related.

He also said the following if you want to take him at his word,

"We'll now move forward and try to get these players both back to where they need to be," Gerrard said.

"They've gone about it the right way since they've accepted their punishments."

"I spoke to them both individually and they were both very sad over the incident," he said. "They were remorseful, apologetic and full of regret.

"They first and foremost wanted to apologise to the supporters and their team-mates for their actions. Now it's about me giving them the support and managing the two to come back to being top players - because they're good players. We need them here to help and support us."

So the departure of Edmundson wasn't just Covid related.

A diplomatic soundbite. They were a goner as soon as that incident happened.

Well yeah, that was kind of my point.
Well it wasn’t really, the Edmundson situation and the Patterson incident were both very different.

Had Patterson done the same I’m not sure he’d be here and also key to remember that Patterson could well have been out the door if it wasn’t for the luck that fell for him.

Well it wasn’t really, the Edmundson situation and the Patterson incident were both very different.

Had Patterson done the same I’m not sure he’d be here and also key to remember that Patterson could well have been out the door if it wasn’t for the luck that fell for him.

Bet he wouldn't.

Plenty on here wanted rid, he certainly wouldn’t have had the first team opportunities he did have if it wasn’t for the need to play him.

Especially with the covid incident

Really a bit of a redundant point but, the point in general is all a bit of a red herring really, Patterson had been featuring for the first team and on the bench prior to the incident.

Fingers crossed we can get rid in January, but given he’ll have three and a half years left on his deal it’ll be hard.

Fingers crossed we can get rid in January, but given he’ll have three and a half years left on his deal it’ll be hard.

There was quite a lot of Championship interest in Simpson before. Cardiff, Boro, Derby etc. were all linked.

Assuming he doesn't improve, you'd hope at least one of them would still retain an interest.

Edmundson was not even close to being good enough. Simpson looks the same. A central defender that’s not commanding is never any good. For supposedly being a ball playing centre back, he looks shaky and nervous in possession and takes up some very poor positions.

Helander is awesome at reading the game and stepping out (wide especially). By the time Simpson has reacted, he’s out of position or sold himself.

Gerrard is pretty stubborn. He will continue to play Simpson no matter how poorly he plays.

Edmundson was not even close to being good enough. Simpson looks the same. A central defender that’s not commanding is never any good. For supposedly being a ball playing centre back, he looks shaky and nervous in possession and takes up some very poor positions.

Helander is awesome at reading the game and stepping out (wide especially). By the time Simpson has reacted, he’s out of position or sold himself.

Gerrard is pretty stubborn. He will continue to play Simpson no matter how poorly he plays.
That’s the concern, that bottom line.

With Helander out and Balogun needing managed, it’s likely that Simpson will play just a handful less games than Balogun until Helander’s back, or maybe even a similar amount.

He was bombed out the squad as a result of the covid lunacy. Had that not happened, he would still he 4th choice and Jack Simpson in a Rangers shirt wouldn't be a thing.
Simpson is not strong enough to be our centre back but our defensive problems are not just down to his weakness, we have major problems down our right hand side in defending and it is costing us its being picked by other clubs that it is where our major weakness lies in defence, our manager has big decisions to make in the near future or we are we are going to lose a lot more important goals, I watched Goldson and McGregor who were both raging at the problem and it needs to be sorted.

Simpson is not strong enough to be our centre back but our defensive problems are not just down to his weakness, we have major problems down our right hand side in defending and it is costing us its being picked by other clubs that it is where our major weakness lies in defence, our manager has big decisions to make in the near future or we are we are going to lose a lot more important goals, I watched Goldson and McGregor who were both raging at the problem and it needs to be sorted.
Oh oh:shh:

There was quite a lot of Championship interest in Simpson before. Cardiff, Boro, Derby etc. were all linked.

Assuming he doesn't improve, you'd hope at least one of them would still retain an interest.
It's the same in that league plenty of mediocre players go between Clubs.

If any of that interest was true we should be shipping him off in January and bringing in a decent defender to complement Goldson/Helander/Balogun and with Goldson likely to go in the summer I wouldn't be against us bringing someone in as soon as possible.

I think we'd probably all agree that neither Simpson or Edmundson are Rangers class. The jury is still out on Katic too. We're probably looking at a new back 4 next season (bar Tav)

Watched a stream today of Hadjuk Split v Primorac in the cup. Managed to get 50 minutes before my app went tits up but the big man played well, couple of robust challenges on him and he was straight up battling away, his team played a lot from the back so he seen plenty of the ball. He had a couple of slack passes but also a few good ones and it was his long pass down the flank that the boy controlled and beat a few men to score. Overall he played well, looks in good shape and was always looking for the ball. Doesnt look to rusty so hopefully he gets more game time over there.

That is not a fact and really far from the facts. His game against them last season he did alright.

You need to give the lad a chance. You probably wanted DelBoy as our manager as well...
Jesus Christ, how much more chances does he get before we can make iur minds up? He was terrible against the scum btw, lost his man for the goal.

Mistake after mistake. Not good enough for a place on the bench.

Jesus Christ, how much more chances does he get before we can make iur minds up? He was terrible against the scum btw, lost his man for the goal.

Mistake after mistake. Not good enough for a place on the bench.

Simpson has started 6 games for us, we have conceded 3 goals.

Motherwell (H) 1-1
Dunfermline (H) 5-0
Aberdeen (H) 4-0
Livingston (A) 3-0
Celtic (H) 4-1
St Johnstone (A) 1-1

We never drew at the weekend because of Simpson, we drew because we took one chance out of a dozen.

A shaky start to the season, humiliations in games Simpson wasn’t even involved in, and now everyone is questioning Gerrard’s judgement on a player, a player our current first team attacking coach was up against in training day in day out at Bournemouth and was spoken about before we signed him.

Simpson was signed as cover for Katic essentially, but in terms of the pecking order, he's definitely the weakest Qdefender.

Katic would be playing these games if Helander is out, with Balogun occasionally swapping in.

I don't want to be harsh on the lad, but Simpson if he's needing to develop should be with the B team.

Balogun a stronger alternative.

Simpson has started 6 games for us, we have conceded 3 goals.

Motherwell (H) 1-1
Dunfermline (H) 5-0
Aberdeen (H) 4-0
Livingston (A) 3-0
Celtic (H) 4-1
St Johnstone (A) 1-1

We never drew at the weekend because of Simpson, we drew because we took one chance out of a dozen.

A shaky start to the season, humiliations in games Simpson wasn’t even involved in, and now everyone is questioning Gerrard’s judgement on a player, a player our current first team attacking coach was up against in training day in day out at Bournemouth and was spoken about before we signed him.
Blah, blah, blah he's absolutely hopeless and a massive part of why we conceded last Sunday. Nonsense to suggest otherwise.

Hopefully we get into a comfortable position tonight then give Bassey 30 minutes at centre back

Simpson was signed as cover for Katic essentially, but in terms of the pecking order, he's definitely the weakest Qdefender.

Katic would be playing these games if Helander is out, with Balogun occasionally swapping in.

I don't want to be harsh on the lad, but Simpson if he's needing to develop should be with the B team.

Balogun a stronger alternative.
Simpson is 24, soon to be 25.

It's past the development stage.

I suspect he has picked up a small injury in training. Regardless of performance he isn't going to get bombed out of the squad, when we have no other natural options at CB.

Think he’s been taken out tonight for his own good, first fk up tonight and the fans will be on his back big time, unless he has a wee niggle. Maybe Gerrard protecting his confidence added to the fact he was shit on Sunday. We’re gonna have to go with him in most squads and cover for CB at least until January unfortunately.

Think he’s been taken out tonight for his own good, first fk up tonight and the fans will be on his back big time, unless he has a wee niggle. Maybe Gerrard protecting his confidence added to the fact he was shit on Sunday. We’re gonna have to go with him in most squads and cover for CB at least until January unfortunately.

14 pages worth and counting

What is it? He was shite on Sunday or he's being unfairly targeted for criticism?

Seems crazy starting Goldson and Balogun tonight. one of them gets injured and we're left relying on Simpson anyway. If he can't cope against Livi at home then he shouldn't be at Ibrox.

I'm surprised Simpson isn't in the squad at all (I thought he would start this cup game) and wonder if he has a knock or something.

What is it? He was shite on Sunday or he's being unfairly targeted for criticism?

Seems crazy starting Goldson and Balogun tonight. one of them gets injured and we're left relying on Simpson anyway. If he can't cope against Livi at home then he shouldn't be at Ibrox.
I totally agree, I would have gave him another chance tonight and rested either Balogun or Goldson. Point I’m making is from Gerrard’s thinking that unless he’s taken a knock then he’s been taken out the firing line because he was poor and first mistake his confidence will be shot. He needs a few games on the bounce to see what he’s made of. We should have a youth player ready to step up to cover, and not a stop gap from Bournemouth. It doesn’t look like he’s good enough for us.

Looks like something is going on here anyway.

Bombed out? Injured? Taken out the firing line for a couple of weeks?

Whatever it is, I'd be disappointed if we didn't bring another centre back in come January.
He seems to have disappeared completely. Anyone know if he’s injured ?

Looks like something is going on here anyway.

Bombed out? Injured? Taken out the firing line for a couple of weeks?

Whatever it is, I'd be disappointed if we didn't bring another centre back in come January.
I'd even have Katic back and we can then get to summer when we know what's going on with Goldson.

Back