Jack Simpson

Maybe they’ve just realised he isn’t good enough to play for Rangers?

It happens, we make shite signings from time to time.

Hopefully offload him in January to a League 1/2 side and move on.

Between now and then, just have to pray Balogun stays fit.

I can see him becoming one of those guys we struggle to get rid of à la Brandon Barker.

Whoever sanctioned a four and a half year contract for Simpson needs shown the door along with him.

I think you're probably right, but it's still quite odd to see him suddenly disappear when we're suffering a bit of a crisis in said position. Maybe Bassey is now the preferred option.

Not that I'm complaining. Nisbet would have eaten him alive yesterday.

Last edited:
Maybe he is going through a series of education and instruction and coaching drills to see if he can improve his play .
I feel he has large gaps in his basics that need total focus before he should be seen as a first team defender. He seems quite a bit short of the minimum to my eyes and mind anyway .

I can see him becoming one of those guys we struggle to get rid of à la Brandon Barker.

Whoever sanctioned a four and a half year contract for Simpson needs shown the door along with him.
I think we’d get rid of Simpson easily enough.

Still young enough, got some EPL and Championship experience.

Just not got it for a club like Rangers.

I think we’d get rid of Simpson easily enough.

Still young enough, got some EPL and Championship experience.

Just not got it for a club like Rangers.
I’m not so sure tbh. He’s a 25 year old that’s barely played 40 games in his entire career.

Unless it’s a series of loan moves from now until 2025 I struggle to see us shifting him, unless of course the player himself is willing to take a wage cut and move to League One etc.

I’m not so sure tbh. He’s a 25 year old that’s barely played 40 games in his entire career.

Unless it’s a series of loan moves from now until 2025 I struggle to see us shifting him, unless of course the player himself is willing to take a wage cut and move to League One etc.
Much like Edmunsen a lower league club will pay us 500k or so for Simpson in January I reckon

I don’t think he can really hold any expectation of playing at a level beyond that.

I do feel for the guy, just comes across as too ‘nice’ to be a centre half for us.

Filip Helander would two foot his maw every day of the week and twice on a Sunday for a clean sheet, Simpson just doesn’t have that mentality.

Balogun leaves at the end of the season, simpson and katic arent the answer , then we have Goldsons contract.
We need at least one quality centre half who can walk into the team.
Ideally get him in during January , especially if Goldson is off in May

A player who will drift about the team till his contract runs out, he will move on to some obscure team and we will forget he ever played for us.

Project players, probably with one eye on flipping them for profit in a couple of years.
I dont think we can afford project players.
Recruitment has been poor and were relying on the usual suspects hence we arent playing great.
There seems to be more failures in the last 18 months than good ones.

Much like Edmunsen a lower league club will pay us 500k or so for Simpson in January I reckon

The problem is, Edmundson is twice the player that Simpson is, yet Simpson’s wages will likely be a lot higher than what we were paying Edmundson.

The problem is, Edmundson is twice the player that Simpson is, yet Simpson’s wages will likely be a lot higher than what we were paying Edmundson.
I still think he will sell , someone will see his England under 21 caps, and former Bournemouth and Rangers player , and snap him up

I dont think we can afford project players.
Recruitment has been poor and were relying on the usual suspects hence we arent playing great.
There seems to be more failures in the last 18 months than good ones.
I don't think it's a case of not being able to afford project players full stop. We can't however afford to bring in players who aren't at the required starting level to begin with. They must still be able to come into the first team and not look a level below what we have, which is what Simpson looks like at the moment unfortunately.

If they're good enough and young enough, then I'd say we definitely can afford them. In fact it's probably one of our main business models.

I was really hoping he could find some form, but there are no excuses for pulling out of tackles like he did against Motherwell when they scored.
I don't think Gerard will accept that either.

That’s the thing he’s not played enough senior games to have experience required, here he is t allowed to make a mistake or two to learn from. He should have been probably blooded last season to either been given a loan or game time in the lesser games to get him the experience. It’s hard to judge if he will make it as I can see some good things in him, however does he have the chance and time to do so. A year loan of guaranteed football with in SPL or English championship would’ve likely been best for him.

I don't think it's a case of not being able to afford project players full stop. We can't however afford to bring in players who aren't at the required starting level to begin with. They must still be able to come into the first team and not look a level below what we have, which is what Simpson looks like at the moment unfortunately.

If they're good enough and young enough, then I'd say we definitely can afford them. In fact it's probably one of our main business models.
We need to buy wisely / frees from now on.
The team in January and next summer needs some real quality brought in.
For a start we likely will loose, itten, katic, simpson, barker, balogun, davis, mcgregor, arfield.
If Jack breaks down again then he is finshed imo.
Add in who will be sold and theres Goldson.

convinced we signed they 2 as a favour to an agent

If not whoever felt the 6th choice Bournemouth Centre back was good enough for us should be sacked

Simpson fits the transfer policy. Young, potential, experience at high level and available cross border at a reduced price.

The plan would be to sell him on at some point. It may just come quicker than planned.

Simpson fits the transfer policy. Young, potential, experience at high level and available cross border at a reduced price.

The plan would be to sell him on at some point. It may just come quicker than planned.

I’m not sure 25 could be considered a young guy. If he was 20 and putting in these performances, you could give him some slack. At 25, it’s just been a total disaster.

Great. Let's bin Wilson and or Gerrard.
FFS.

The penny has dropped and we cannot rely on him simple as that he isn’t good enough to play for Rangers.

He’ll be off in January I would hope.

I think we may have to be really short on numbers if we ever plays for us again. I thought, initially, he might have potential to do well here, but that doesn't look likely.

It's a strange one, by all accounts he has been on our radar since the management team came in and if reports are to be believed we have enquired about him on at least two occasions prior to his arrival in Jan.

If Simpson is not injured, it would be alarming if he has not been included in the matchday squads due to form/progress, given our current CB issues and the fact we have actively pursued him over a number of years. Got to be injured/private issue surely?

Simple solution for me is to move him on permanently in January.

With Helander due back in December we should have three solid options again but we need one more imo.

With Goldson's contract situation I'd be going all out for Danilo Doekhi in January he will be available to sign on a pre contract or alternatively try and reach an agreement to get him in early.

That would give us till end of the season Goldson/Helander/Balogun/Doekhi and that's 4 solid reliable options.

Balogun leaves at the end of the season, simpson and katic arent the answer , then we have Goldsons contract.
We need at least one quality centre half who can walk into the team.
Ideally get him in during January , especially if Goldson is off in May
Leon Balogun is doing a good job if he maintains that I’d expect him to extend further mate .

Leon Balogun is doing a good job if he maintains that I’d expect him to extend further mate .
Would doubt it given his age. We would be looking for another defender in my view. Also remember Balogan cant play every game through long standing injuries. Wont go another season with him and Hellander. Also if Goldson leaves we will be looking for new pairing I would think.

I’m not sure 25 could be considered a young guy. If he was 20 and putting in these performances, you could give him some slack. At 25, it’s just been a total disaster.
He’s 25 mate, probably still got 10 years of football on him. He’s very much a sellable asset.

It's a strange one, by all accounts he has been on our radar since the management team came in and if reports are to be believed we have enquired about him on at least two occasions prior to his arrival in Jan.

If Simpson is not injured, it would be alarming if he has not been included in the matchday squads due to form/progress, given our current CB issues and the fact we have actively pursued him over a number of years. Got to be injured/private issue surely?
Probably the entire fanbase getting on his back and deciding that he's the only problem we have in defence when our entire defence has been defending incredibly poorly for a while now.

Although he's made a mistake or two, Goldson has been doing some really weird shit this season, Balogun also has had his moments of bizarre defending, Tav and Borna have been hit or miss, Davis seems to have hit the wall in terms of performance and McGregor seems to have been off it more often than 'on it' this season.

To the extent we're chopping and changing our defence most weeks, which would have been unheard of under Walter.

It also doesn't help that we're caught between two bus-stops in terms of how we structure the defence.

Do we continue with the Walter-style of 2/3 solid CB's and a full back in front of a pure shot stopper but every time one of them gets the ball they lump it and lose it (especially in Europe) or do we have a goalkeeper and central defence who are good with their feet to bring us out of defence so we can have a higher line and control even more of the play, even though the defenders might not be the greatest tacklers in the world and we give up the odd goal through a missed tackle?

convinced we signed they 2 as a favour to an agent

If not whoever felt the 6th choice Bournemouth Centre back was good enough for us should be sacked

6th choice? He had started 6 of the last 9 games for Bournemouth before he signed for us.

35 appearances over 6 years with Bournemouth.

That's pathetic

He was a child and they were EPL for the majority of that. Once they were relegated, he was very much in consideration - he wasn’t anywhere near 6th choice when we signed him.

Edit: I think he’s absolutely honking, but the Championship isn’t that amazing either.

Was the only run of games he got. other defenders must have been humped. even the Bournemouth fans were telling us how much of a diddy he was

He was a child and they were EPL for the majority of that. Once they were relegated, he was very much in consideration - ave wasn’t anywhere near 6th choice when we signed him.
He's barely played any top flight Football he's very inexperienced and it's showed in his appearances with us.

For me we should have got someone in with more experience it was a dubious signing from the outset imo.

Same goes for the midfielder Ofoborh we got off them but obviously health problems have prevented him from playing.

He was a child and they were EPL for the majority of that. Once they were relegated, he was very much in consideration - ave wasn’t anywhere near 6th choice when we signed him.
before he got they run of games in the december he had only played 13 mins in the league

they must have had injuries

before he got they run of games in the december he had only played 13 mins in the league

they must have had injuries

Probably. But not 5 of them. Imagine he was 3rd choice by the time we signed him. The Championship isn’t that special.

These types of threads always remind me from this scene in Full Metal Jacket

fmj-fullmetaljacket.gif

Everyone just piles in with the criticism, The Japanese lad that plays up front for Celtic gets more support on here than Simpson

Last edited:
Back