Jack Simpson

I am not convinced by Jack Simpson. I get the impression he is overawed by Rangers and Ibrox and does not believe in himself either. Bassey as the left-side central defender could well be a better option. Also, Walter Smith bought Steven Whittaker and played him on the right wing to cover Alan Hutton. That was very successful for the few months that Hutton stayed that season. Could Patterson do a similar job with Tavernier? Could Bassey do likewise with Barisic on the left side?

if the attacking players done their jobs properly then we wouldn’t be talking about Simpson.

I thought he wasn’t great today. He seems to mistime the ball in the air a lot however, the rest weren’t much better

Last year we won games 1-0, thanks to the defence being absolutely formiddable. You need those to win titles.

Not taking the chances doesn't take away from the fact Simpson sold himself for the goal, and ultimately that was the decisive moment that cost us the points.

Everybody gets it in the neck on days like today, but today's game was the clincher for me where Simpson is concerned - he's been really poor in pretty much every game he's played.

His game is littered with bad decisions, missed tackles, panic passes & misplaced headers - he's a bag of nerves.

I am almost at the point of not wanting him in the team & trying Bassey instead when we need a fill in at centre back.

God help us if Goldson gets injured now.

I don't want to put the boot in to the boy but he's not commanding enough for our game and gets bullied in the air.

I think we'll need to look at a loan CB in January if Helander isn't back never really liked the look of Simpson from what I've seen.

Not sure why he’s getting it today, we need to be putting more than 1 away at home against anyone in the league or we risk this happening, today isn’t on him

Whilst you are correct, there will be days when we don't put chances away. See when that inevitably occurs, we simply need to be able to rely on our defenders to not give up absolutely horrendous chances.

Nobody in defence covered themselves with glory during move that led to goal. But Simpson's part in it in inexcusable.

I’m not convinced with Simpson tbh. He’s not had a run of games in fairness but any appearances he’s made he’s certainly not won me over.

Gerrard and the recruitment staff obviously see something in him if they were chasing him for as long as reported, but whatever it is they see I don’t. He hadn’t even played many senior games prior to joining us and is turning 25 soon too, think that says a lot.

We’ve probably let a better defensive option in edmundson leave.

Hopefully he can prove many wrong but not optimistic on that

Last year we won games 1-0, thanks to the defence being absolutely formiddable. You need those to win titles.

Not taking the chances doesn't take away from the fact Simpson sold himself for the goal, and ultimately that was the decisive moment that cost us the points.

I’ve not seen the goal back I only seen it at the game but I’ll have a look. The problem is this season we have looked absolutely toothless up front. The defenders mistakes are highlighted more because it can lead to goals but it forwards are continually taking to many touches, passing when they should shoot or simply not being in positions to receive the ball in the first place.
gerrard said himself we should have scored 3 or 4 today.

Shame that most of those moments were failing to mark his man at a set piece in the last ten minutes of an away game (Aberdeen, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Hearts, St Johnstone etc.) and then they'd score and then the support would blame someone else.

Other "moment's" include the Spartak Moscow collapse, passing the ball straight to Edouard under no pressure whatsoever so he can stroll through and score against us and the absolute fucking aberration of Hamilton at home in 2020.

He's had a fair few poor performances, but a lot of them were back when there was far less expectation on us due to Warburton and Pedro's type of "defending".
Goldson signed for us having played almost 200 games down south in League 2, 1, the championship and a handful in the premier league.

He was just a year older than Jack Simpson is and had also missed 10 months of 2017 due to his heart problem.

His quality and potential was known but he made a few errors, I wasn’t his biggest fan at the time either tbh but you just can not compare him to Jack Simpson :D

We need a settled two in centre of defence and it should now be Goldson and Balogun. Why we loaned out Katic he could do better than we are getting from central defenders just now.

Balogun took a couple of dunts midweek, we have a big Euro game in ten days.

Helander is out for some time.

It was Motherwell at home to be honest you or I should have been able to partner Goldson to a clean sheet,

however given Simpson isn’t in the Euro squad I would have been giving Bassey a run out at centre half.

So keep Balogun in cotton wool until Sparta Prague? Balogun should have played today, rested in midweek then back in at Dens Park.

If Balogun gets a knock, Bassey is capable of playing as a LCB - I’d put my money on him being more dominant and commanding than Simpson.

Just seen the goal on tv there,Simpson should have body checked the player outside the box rather than do nothing,Barisic tackling with the wrong foot,poor all round.

I really dont get the need for the changing of centre backs today. Goldson & Balogun had a decent outing to Lyon despite the defeat. We should be keeping a settled centre half pairing where possible..

and for Simpson dont see anything in him at all to convince me he’ll ever be good enough

One of a number of poor signings in the last couple of seasons. On a par with Edmundson.

Hopefully Katic comes back in January.

Edmundson had more about him. He used to fizz passes around and looked a confident boy. As well as having physicality.

Simpson looks like a scared wee lassie.

I’ve not even read the full thread, but I’d much rather have Katie than Simpson.

I assume this has been said.
Katic or Edmundson.

I worry about a central defender whose had the majority of his coaching from Eddie Howe.

Simpson was poor today but not alone, both Bassey and Patterson once fit again need to be seriously considered for starts at full back.

I just don't think he is good enough.
Never looks comfortable or confident from what I've saw so far.
Worrying for me that he's going to get a lot of game time now Helander is injured.
If he doesn't improve then Gerrard has a big decision to make on him.

Did we really think we would be relying on our 4th choice center half this early in the season? I didn’t, and probably neither did Gerrard, which is why Katic loan does make sense. For all of us, Simpson won’t do, quite simply because he looks scared to be a Ranger. I love Nico and feel he can be a huge player for us, but he needs games after 18 months out. That is a simple but inconvenient truth for us today. Getting one game a month isn’t getting Nico back to fitness. To argue he should have been kept here right now is as nonsensical as it is to argue Simpson is good enough for Rangers.

I mean, given that both our 2nd and 3rd choice have to be managed carefully in terms of minutes due to being injury prone, the possibility of having to rely on number 4 choice was always a pretty big possibility. Yes, it's OK to say that in hindsight, but when neither Helander or Balogun can be relied upon to play 3 games per week, then to have someone of ability of Simpson to be next in line is utterly baffling.

Gerrard needs to stop trying to make Jack Simpson happen. Seems to be forcing through a weak defender when there has been little evidence he’s going to get any better.

Was clear even in the latter half of last season he wasn’t up to it. Guess we were just blinded by 55 to give any criticism.

A dummy. Hardly the boys fault, he probably can't believe himself he plays for us.

I think he is Gerrard’s worst signing, I honestly dont know what our scouts saw in him to sign him on a 4.5 year deal…

If Jack Simpson was the answer, what was the question?

Very poor from him today.
A signing three years in the making too, I’m sure the gaffer tried to get him in 2018.

We keep hearing we have two player for every position. That’s only true in terms of numbers at CB, where we have two good players that can’t be replaced adequately with the others.

He just doesn't seem to have any composure and doesn't fill me with confidence.

I know a player who played against him in pre season and he said he was soft as shite

So far off it it's unbelievable. Have tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but he looks a nervous wreck and that seems to spread amongst the backline. The next few months without Fil are going to be a slog.

And risk Balogun getting an injury, which would leave us with one recognized centre half for the Europa League and force us into playing Simpson week in week out until who knows when? No thanks. Starting Simpson was understandable given those circumstances. Again, Simpson made one mistake that cost us. His mistake wouldn't have cost us if the midfield and forward players hadn't made countless other mistakes and failed to kill the game.

So we'll just wrap Balogun in cotton wool and not play him in case he gets injured and we have to rely on Simpson. But by wrapping him in cotton wool we need to rely on Jack Simpson!

I am not convinced by Jack Simpson. I get the impression he is overawed by Rangers and Ibrox and does not believe in himself either. Bassey as the left-side central defender could well be a better option. Also, Walter Smith bought Steven Whittaker and played him on the right wing to cover Alan Hutton. That was very successful for the few months that Hutton stayed that season. Could Patterson do a similar job with Tavernier? Could Bassey do likewise with Barisic on the left side?

Dearie me, no!

We are struggling to create, so the solution is to play defenders in more offensive positions in order to cover for fullbacks!?

He actively pulled out of the challenge. I don’t know if he had his bearings wrong and thought he was in the box and was worried about a penalty, either way it was a horrendous bit of defending that has cost us.
100%…this guy has proved he cannot defend so hopefully he’s not used again. I’d play Bassey CH before him if Balogun needs rested…he can tackle & is physical.

Simpson is no where near strong enough defensively for this league or Rangers. I understand we need home grown players in Euro squad but with him not even making the cut in the 25 man squad what is Gerrard trying to prove by picking him in important League games??

The biggest positive so far this season is we are 4 points clear of them after 6 games & we’ve not been anywhere near or best.

Go & beat Dundee next weekend & let’s try & get a bit of consistency Gers.

He is utterly woeful, an Aberdeen standard of defender at best. Hopefully recall Katic at Christmas a get shot of Simpson, he's been a bomb scare from day one and isn't improving.
I genuinely don’t think he would get a game the likes of Hearts or Aberdeen. No aggression, poor in the air and weak in the tackle.

Someone has watch him play in a youth league down south and thought he would get away with it up here.

The lad is a 4th choice cb . He should never play regularly

Sadly he has to .

Might as well support him through it

cant see him being here next season

Just watched the after match press conference and Gerard said he thought Simpson did a lot of good things???? Wtf? As he even watched the goal back?

again not helped by the line of questioning from the fan media who seem to infer Simpson was somehow impressive today??

Again our fan media refusing to ask the tough questions for fear of falling out with the gaffer

Gerrard said something about the fans being wrong about Simpson before the game.

He also said after it that he thought Simpson done a lot of good things in the game today.

I'm sorry but that's just blatant lies.

He can't defend, has no positional sense and my 10 year old can header a ball further than him and with more accuracy.

Time for Leon King to get a few games under his belt so we can see what he can do. If he struggles then fair enough, he can go back to the b team.
Simpson is not an SPFL level CH, never mind Rangers level.

Back