Jack Simpson

Knowning Gerrard he will persist with him.
Once again Katic is the fall guy, and to say that this guy is better than big Niko, and he is a natural left footed player ...so he should be well ahead of Katic....is embarrassing.
Gerrard seems to have a mental block when he makes his mind up about a player in his head and then the reality on the pitch doesn't match it.
It works both ways as some players do better than he thought, but never get a run in the team, and some play poorly but he persists with them.

I didn't know that. Sounds like Jack. That's really bad news as we're already short on defenders. That being the case we should bring in another defender if a suitable one can be found.

We can’t keep bringing in players just to bulk up the squad when every penny is a prisoner.

Any signings being made need to be genuine first name on the team sheet types, not just squad fillers.

All true but his defending was, at times, chronic.
That back pass to McGregor and I’m not sure he was faultless at their goal.
(I haven’t seen it on television yet)
It's all relative mate. For me he looked a bit more like we know he can be. Not yet at his best, but I thought he was improved on his recent form.

He hadn't played much first team football by the time we signed him. That should have been a massive red flag. If players aren't playing regularly at some level by the time they're 22/23 then there's something very wrong. Looks like am absolute bust of a signing, and probably only really signed because things with Edmundson had deteriorated and the club needed cover.

He needs to be moved on but we can't really do that until next summer.

PaLC.gif

I think of this every time he makes a mistake :))

Gerrard said something about the fans being wrong about Simpson before the game.

He also said after it that he thought Simpson done a lot of good things in the game today.

I'm sorry but that's just blatant lies.

He can't defend, has no positional sense and my 10 year old can header a ball further than him and with more accuracy.

Time for Leon King to get a few games under his belt so we can see what he can do. If he struggles then fair enough, he can go back to the b team.
Simpson is not an SPFL level CH, never mind Rangers level.

B team captain McLelland has never disappointed any time watching the Swift’s

I would honestly have McClelland ahead of him in the pecking order. Simpson looks a nervous wreck when defending and when trying to pass the ball

Where are our own academy trained players, do we have any apart from Patterson?
Buying other teams rejects and then seeing they don’t work is baffling, I’d rather see our own youths given a chance.

Obviously too early to totally write off but given his lack of football before he arrived I thought this was a strange signing.

As others have said, the B team should now be used for developing 3rd or 4th choice players instead of free transfers from Bournemouth who directly get into the squad.

I know he is young and to be developed, but is it just me or does he seem to stand about a lot. A good few times the day, we had the ball and he basically was standing side by side of the player with the ball.... I mean move and give yourself as an option. He was actually getting in the way at times
He's nearly 25.

He still seems like a deer in the headlights, best part of 9 months he’s been playing at the club… he should be fully up to speed by now. The fact goldson shouted at him numerous times to close the gap between them when he moved over and he didn’t do it shows you that he just doesn’t get it.

A thread every time he plays saying how bad he is. He’s not good enough. We all know this. The only person who thinks differently is Gerrard.

There’s a reason he’s 25 and played less than 50 pro games.

What a shocking situation we’ve found ourselves in now at the Cb area.
Ah well, we gave him a 4.5 year contract to try and bulk up is numbers…

Who gets a contract that length these days, and who was it that pushed for it?!

Katic needs mins - he wasnt going to get them consistently week in week out with us

There’s plenty mins to be had our manager has banged on about the importance of 4 CBS since he walked in the door.

Also he played like 13 mins at the weekend hardly earth breaking news

And risk Balogun getting an injury, which would leave us with one recognized centre half for the Europa League and force us into playing Simpson week in week out until who knows when? No thanks. Starting Simpson was understandable given those circumstances. Again, Simpson made one mistake that cost us. His mistake wouldn't have cost us if the midfield and forward players hadn't made countless other mistakes and failed to kill the game.

Simpson was being bullied by Tony Watt all game mate.

What about their break from the kick out just before our goal too ? Goldson got back & covered him there.

I've said on here previously that we should have signed a CB on loan until the end of the season last January for cover.

Instead, we gave Simpson a four and a half year contact and now we're stuck with him.

In the summer, we should have been looking to sign another quality CB to challenge Goldson and Helander and have Balogun as a fourth choice.

I hate to be critical of Rangers players but we will drop more points if we continue to play Jack Simpson unfortunately he's not a good center half and a liability to the team. I actually hope we move him on in the next transfer window.

And risk Balogun getting an injury, which would leave us with one recognized centre half for the Europa League and force us into playing Simpson week in week out until who knows when? No thanks. Starting Simpson was understandable given those circumstances. Again, Simpson made one mistake that cost us. His mistake wouldn't have cost us if the midfield and forward players hadn't made countless other mistakes and failed to kill the game.
One mistake? Did you miss when he allowed Watt through on goal from a simple punt up from the keeper and Goldson had to intercept a tap in.

Don’t usually like singling out a player but he was woeful. How many times did he get caught wrong side of the attacker, thats just basics for a centre half surely

I'm not one for writing players off early, but I have serious concerns about this boy.
As things stand Katic will be back in January.

Dropping Balogun yesterday was inexplicable. After Helander’s injury the best defensive pairing is Goldson and Balogun full stop. SG is playing a dangerous game by this rotation nonsense. Play your best defence at all times and this is paramount for centre backs and goalkeepers.

I don’t see how we get to December/January with Balogun who shouldn’t be playing 2 games a week and Simpson and not needlessly drop points.

There must be an alternative on the market or within the club, surely?

Simpsons hopeless ive no idea where the manager is coming from here

If your the manager though and you have to play him then you'd expect something to be done within the tactics/formation to help the lad out - Not Gerrard though one way or no way

We would be better playing Bassey at centre back, even if he is raw in that position at least he would compete physically and would learn.

My concern now is Balogun has to play all the European games which will mean Simpson in the league.

At the start of the window we had too many centre backs but now due to poor decision making we are struggling due to one injury

Is this going to be like Worrall again? Where the gaffer has a pet project and is determined to be stubborn about it rather than just acknowledging that said player has too many shortcomings to do the business for us?

Say what you want but that was utterly embarrassing from him today. Jumping out of the way of a challenge, reminds me of Danny Wilson and Lustig.
Joe Worrall was far from a world beater, but he was 5 times the player Simpson is.

I try not to critise our players and but at the moment Simpson is no where near the level we require. I don't see any value to what he brings to the game.

In recent spells players who are or have been better since SG became manager:

Goldson
Helander
Katic
Edmunston
Worrall
McCaulley
Then Simpson

Essentially 6 signings that have been better than him.

Back