Jack Simpson

Especially with the Goldson situation, short term deal with the possibility of a longer deal if they do well
Yep, you’d imagine it would be an attractive proposition for certain players.

Simpson is going to cost us points, notwithstanding a completely unexpected upturn in form and ability.

Nicolas N'Koulou - why has this guy not got a club ?!
He was hardly getting a game at Torino last season, before that he was very capable and linked to some decent sides.

I would take him, but I wonder how long it would take him to get fit and I find it strange nobody else has touched him.

He was hardly getting a game at Torino last season, before that he was very capable and linked to some decent sides.

I would take him, but I wonder how long it would take him to get fit and I find it strange nobody else has touched him.

He was worth fortunes at one point

Not saying he's the answer for us must be something dealing with him bizarre how it goes at times

New whipping boy

We never drew yesterday because of Simpson.

We drew because the team selection was wrong, the team was dug meat inside their penalty box. The changes were too late and wrong.

Changes should have been made before they scored their goal,

None of the back 4, or even Davis, covered themselves in glory for that goal, but if we are looking to blame anyone it’s Tav, he should never be giving the guy time to bring down a 40 yard floated pass on his chest, get turned inside out, what kind of challenge even was that ? It wrongfooted the rest of the defence as a result no one was in position, Simpson could’ve done better Goldson just like Malmö away knocks it in to danger, Barisic is sleeping.

Watch it again Simpson initially has a man, the goal scorer, but then has to step across to the midfield runner as Tav has sold himself and Davis chucked it, not matching the run.

You reckon you can trust Goldson after today?

We've seen enough of Goldson to know that he disnae play badly the majority of times, but Simpson I've never seen him play with any confidence or assurity yet.

Balogan who played ok on Thursday should have partnered big Connor yesterday Simpson Wednesday, not against Motherwell.

The whole team were not anywhere near getting the crowd in full voice.

One thing that needs considered in this thread is the first chance Motherwell had when Watt got right through our defence looked to me like it was due to the defensive line being too high .

simpson had to chase him down as best he could , followed by Goldson .

as far as i know it’s the senior player who sets the line

New whipping boy

We drew because the team selection was wrong, the team was dug meat inside their penalty box. The changes were too late and wrong.

None of the back 4, or even Davis, covered themselves in glory for that goal, but if we are looking to blame anyone it’s Tav, he should never be giving the guy time to bring down a 40 yard floated pass on his chest, get turned inside out, what kind of challenge even was that ? It wrongfooted the rest of the defence as a result no one was in position, Simpson could’ve done better Goldson just like Malmö away knocks it in to danger, Barisic is sleeping.

Watch it again Simpson initially has a man, the goal scorer, but then has to step across to the midfield runner as Tav has sold himself and Davis chucked it, not matching the run.
You're saying that as if it's not justified. He's a nervous wreck, a bombscare, so soft and makes me nervous watching him.

I've criticised some for getting on his back, but I have to admit he was a disaster yesterday. He was an embarrassment at their goal.

New whipping boy

But once he stepped across he done nothing. He literally stopped and moved out the way of the attacker, who at that point was goal side of Goldson.

You are correct, there were multiple points of failure at the goal. But the most crucial was Simpson's part of it. He has to sense the danger and make sure, by either fair or foul means that the player doesn't progress in to the box.

I'd have preferred him on loan and keep Katic but I'll trust Gerrard on him for now.

Helander being out is a massive blow as we look so disorganised without him

Katic needs to play regularly to get his fitness back, and we couldn't guarantee him that here as he'd have been 4th choice behind Goldson, Helander, and Balogun, so it made sense to have him go out on loan somewhere where he could play every week. Simpson was meant to be the 4th choice CB but no one anticipated Helander being out for as long as he will be, so unfortunately we'll be seeing more of Simpson if Balogun can't play every game. Motherwell at home should've been a straightforward match for him to get some game time but he doesn't look up to it.

We've seen enough of Goldson to know that he disnae play badly the majority of times, but Simpson I've never seen him play with any confidence or assurity yet.

Balogan who played ok on Thursday should have partnered big Connor yesterday Simpson Wednesday, not against Motherwell.

The whole team were not anywhere near getting the crowd in full voice.
Agree here but it seems to only be Simpson who is getting the criticism.
I accept Holdson, Kamara and Davis have credit in the bank but it doesn’t hurt to be honest here and share the criticism

Agree here but it seems to only be Simpson who is getting the criticism.
I accept Holdson, Kamara and Davis have credit in the bank but it doesn’t hurt to be honest here and share the criticism

None of them are even remotely as bad as Simpson though.

Yes, they can have off days, but they still look like they have basic competencies to carry out their role. In fact, the ones quoted are arguably in our top 5 players over the last 2 years.

Simpson doesn’t have any tools I’d look for in a defender.

We create a myth that he’s good on the ball - he’s not even good on the ball, he’s just better on the ball than he is anything else, so it seems acceptable.

Last edited:
But once he stepped across he done nothing. He literally stopped and moved out the way of the attacker, who at that point was goal side of Goldson.

You are correct, there were multiple points of failure at the goal. But the most crucial was Simpson's part of it. He has to sense the danger and make sure, by either fair or foul means that the player doesn't progress in to the box.

You like a number on here are wanting that to be true.

Tav is to blame for that goal,

Simpson has a man, but because Tav has been skinned and Davis chucks tracking the midfield runner he has to come across, he is caught out, he could have done better but he could dive in risking giving away a penalty and red card, or he can see Goldson who has also been dragged out of position is covering and let’s him go. Barisic is standing day dreaming and by the time Goldson gets his foot to its too late for Barisic to get across.

Everyone of the back four is involved, even Davis for not tracking the midfield runner, if that was Lundstram not tracking his man folk on here would even be blaming him for it.

Tav has let his man chest down a forty yard floated pass, let him turn him inside out half heartedly dangling a leg out.

Tav is to blame for that goal.

Katic needs to play regularly to get his fitness back, and we couldn't guarantee him that here as he'd have been 4th choice behind Goldson, Helander, and Balogun, so it made sense to have him go out on loan somewhere where he could play every week. Simpson was meant to be the 4th choice CB but no one anticipated Helander being out for as long as he will be, so unfortunately we'll be seeing more of Simpson if Balogun can't play every game. Motherwell at home should've been a straightforward match for him to get some game time but he doesn't look up to it.
while that's true what could be anticipated is our fourth choice CB would see game time this season if it's true both helander and balogun have long standing injuries.

Simpson has a man, but because Tav has been skinned and Davis chucks tracking the midfield runner he has to come across, he is caught out, he could have done better but he could dive in risking giving away a penalty and red card, or he can see Goldson who has also been dragged out of position is covering and let’s him go. Barisic is standing day dreaming and by the time Goldson gets his foot to its too late for Barisic to get across.

Everyone of the back four is involved, even Davis for not tracking the midfield runner, if that was Lundstram not tracking his man folk on here would even be blaming him for it.

Tav has let his man chest down a forty yard floated pass, let him turn him inside out half heartedly dangling a leg out.

Every goal comes from a mistake somewhere on the pitch. Bottom line is, Simpson's effort at a tackle was absolutely pathetic.

I've seen many a player who isn't blessed with great talent, skill or ability -
- but still manages to put in a shift, contribute & provide decent cover when required -
by doing all the simple things well & laying the ball off to more talented teammates when required

Regrettably Simpson isn't even producing the basics at the moment

Consequently those alongside him are unnecessarily being pulled out of position & often getting exposed as a result

To be fair though - I don't believe we're as solid as we could be defensively - even allowing for an under-performing Simpson

We've become predictable, rigid & unflexible in defence even when we've got everyone fit IMO

Causes us trouble at the back everygame he plays. My opinion hasnt changed since the first time i watched him for us. Surely we have better in the youth team!?

Your team is as strong as it's weakest player.

Simpson is the weakest player between both teams in nearly every match we play.

That should not be happening at Rangers.

while that's true what could be anticipated is our fourth choice CB would see game time this season if it's true both helander and balogun have long standing injuries.
Yep . It was extremely poor call to have JS in the four central defender list . I think / hope of Jack as a short term signing for development hopefully covering a gap while a long term transfer target runs there contract down . And if Jack Simpson does well we have then won a watch as folk say .

Last edited:
do we think he keeps his place on Wednesday? is Balogun injured? if so do we play Bassey @ CB ?

I agree with what you are saying to an extent but surely the point of who is marking who/tracking runners etc is removed when it comes down to Simpson looking as if he’s shirked out from a tackle. That’s nothing to do with following a runner as it should be a defenders basic instinct to go right through the ball and win it when it’s there to be won not back out of it.

It was a catalog of errors leading to the Motherwell goal so I'm not going to blame Simpson alone.
That being said I'd feel more secure with Marge Simpson at the back.
I've watched him closely and tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but I just don't see it with him.
He may come good who knows, it wouldn't be the first time it's happened with a player but at the moment he just doesn't look up to it.

I'm not a fan of singling out players in general but he's dogshit unfortunately.

He's nowhere near the standards we need.

Just watched the highlights, he is horrific at their goal. Almost jumps out the way. Worst case body check the midfielder.

a completely bizarre signing all round.

Just watched the highlights, he is horrific at their goal. Almost jumps out the way. Worst case body check the midfielder.

a completely bizarre signing all round.

Same as you but he doesn't fill me with much confidence to be honest. I get Katic is returning from serious injury but would've been a better choice, without any doubt.

He was worse at the chance in the first half. A punt ended up with a striker one on one with the goalkeeper with Simpson trailing. The striker didn't have to outmuscle him, outrun him, use any trickery or guile to get passed him yet he did get passed him with ease.

That's mind blowingly bad.

it was at least a foot outside it

That clip is incredible, it is the first I've seen it since being at the game, I can't believe how bad he is. He actually gets out the way of the guy, it is unreal.
It's dire across the board, but he is particularly bad. Utterly shites it out of a very winnable tackle he should be straight through and clearly outside the box too. Tav gets turned far, far too easily as well. It's shambolic stuff.

Long standing injury that needs managed I believe, similar to helander

Definitely this is the case Helander wouldn’t have started in Perth if Goldson was in the squad big Fil just played too many games in a short period of time we cannot risk doing it with Balogun because Simpson is the worst CB we’ve had in a long time I’d have Moshni in before him.

One mistake? Did you miss when he allowed Watt through on goal from a simple punt up from the keeper and Goldson had to intercept a tap in.
I said he made one mistake that cost us (their goal). Barisic was also at fault for the goal, arguably Goldson and Tav too. Yes, Simpson made multiple other mistakes including the horrific one Goldson and McGregor cleaned up. I'm not saying I was impressed by Simpson yesterday. He's just the easiest scapegoat for a result that would never have happened if our attacking play wasn't so painfully off the mark.

Trying hard not to be negative about the boy but what has Gerrard seen in him? he doesn't seem to be anywhere near good enough.
For me… he looks a downgrade on Joe Worrall, whilst I appreciate he is short on game time overall, just doesnt inspire me.

it was at least a foot outside it

That clip is incredible, it is the first I've seen it since being at the game, I can't believe how bad he is. He actually gets out the way of the guy, it is unreal.
That’s the first I’ve seen it.
I had always thought he was the player who’d made the tackle.
(Although, at the game, I’d actually seen the player get through unchallenged.)
Yes, absolutely, a very poor error.
I need to add here that I don’t think Goldson did enough either and this DOES NOT excuse Simpson’s garbage play.

Back