Jacob Rees-Mogg opposed to abortion

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I disagree with his Views. I find it quite reassuring that he stands by his beliefs .
Same with me. He could have refused to answer or lied. He stood by his own personal views, good on him for that, even if I disagree with him here.

Reactions: BWO
With these comments he has killed any chance he had of being PM. I was one who championed him. There's no way he would hold any credibility as PM having made these statements.

Fully entitled to his pro life views, as extreme as I believe they are (we are a democracy last time I checked), however saying something like this will scupper any chance of high office in politics.

You could never have a PM that believes a rape victim needs to be reminded of the crime every time they see their child.

I don't get why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist over this. He says it's his private view, a view that is based on his religious belief.
He also says he believes in democracy and the democratic will of Parliament, and that as Parliament has voted and it is law he sees no reason why the law of the land should change.
All he asks is that he personally is allowed to believe what he believes, and that he has no intention of stopping anyone else going about their lawful business, what's wrong with that?
It amuses me that people who don't believe in religion get upset that other people who don't believe in religion can't get married in a religious ceremony.
Does Mayor Khan get questioned with the same intensity about his religious beliefs or the beliefs and wrongdoings of members of his religion? He's allowed to come away with "religion of peace" "not all muslims are terrorists" etc. So why is JRM being blamed for the sins of the Catholic church?
Khan also got away with saying moderate Muslims are uncle toms.

Whilst fundamentally apposed to the doctrines of the Church of Rome when did we stop freedom of speech in this country?
Better to know his views now rather than when he was in a position of power.

I don't think he's ever hidden his adherence to that sect TBH.

However it's not really a freedom of speech issue, after all MPs have a greater freedom of speech than almost anyone else in the country.

The RC church did similar with Africa with their pish...
After the W.H.O. wanted to introduce contraception the RC twats preached their arsehole beliefs
and caused millions more to suffer disease and famine.
One of the greatest crimes against humanity that barely gets any coverage within mainstream media.

If you had to draw an old school, traditional Tory politician, your sketch would look exactly like Rees-Mogg.

Didn't realise we had rolled back the decades where we still had politicians of his ilk potentially spoken as PM.

He is as bad for the right as Corbyn is for the left.

Then that is fine for me. People can believe what they want as part of their religion, they just shouldn't be allowed to impose that belief on anyone else. So fair play to him for being honest.

I don't get why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist over this. He says it's his private view, a view that is based on his religious belief.
He also says he believes in democracy and the democratic will of Parliament, and that as Parliament has voted and it is law he sees no reason why the law of the land should change.
All he asks is that he personally is allowed to believe what he believes, and that he has no intention of stopping anyone else going about their lawful business, what's wrong with that?
It amuses me that people who don't believe in religion get upset that other people who don't believe in religion can't get married in a religious ceremony.
Does Mayor Khan get questioned with the same intensity about his religious beliefs or the beliefs and wrongdoings of members of his religion? He's allowed to come away with "religion of peace" "not all muslims are terrorists" etc. So why is JRM being blamed for the sins of the Catholic church?

This is it in a nutshell for me. I don't subscribe to his views on this or gay marriage, but I'll defend his right to hold them.

Particularly when he was very clear in the interview that he follows all the teachings, including the part about 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'. He was very clear that while he has his views, it's not his place to judge and also he is part of a pro-choice parliament, so while he may hold his own views, if he was PM no-one would be losing their rights.

I found him refreshing.

I also spent far too long arguing with a stereotypically rotund feminist after Dane Baptiste (shite comedian) said JRM as PM is equivalent to a pederast working in a school.

He's privileged, blinkered and ignorant of what a struggle life is for the majority of the country. A dead cert for tory leadership then.

The man's a buffoon and will make the country a laughing stock, much like Boris does but at least the ham-shanks will get some payback on us.

I certainly don't agree with his views, but he is entitled to his opinion. Seems strange of late the media keeness on attacking christians views - Tim Farron, DUP and Rees Mogg - without pointing out the ultra conservative views of other religions.

Clearly a bit of an idiot - his religion taking control of him and making him spout absolute nonsense. Annoys the crap out of me that people think they should be the decision makers for other people when it comes to abortions - especially in the circumstances mentioned.

I remember Billy Connolly saying that 'The desire to become a politician should barr you from being one'........they are all in it for themselves.

i dont want my country run by anyone who has such inflexible religious views, whether they christian, islam or Judaism. It is bound to influence the policies implemented in this country. I remember watching a US interview with a american voter who said that he was voting for George W because he believed in god, and that was pretty much the only reason.

from the book Homo Deus (good read) God is dead, its just taking us a while to get rid of the body

Can we dispel this myth about Roman Catholics not being allowed to be PM. There was never any such law.

We don't have a constitution either and David Cameron was not RC.

I certainly don't agree with his views, but he is entitled to his opinion. Seems strange of late the media keeness on attacking christians views - Tim Farron, DUP and Rees Mogg - without pointing out the ultra conservative views of other religions.
Said earlier it's ok to challenge conservative Christian beliefs but don't dare criticise anything Islamic.

Same reason as the current pant-wetting over the rise of Nazi-ism in this Country. Deflects the focus away from Islam. Rees-Mogg gets it tight from the liberal media but when have they gone after Islam with the "honour" killings, paedophile rape gangs, oppression of Women and Homosexuals etc etc ?

The "far right" in this Country have always been a small bunch of idiots whose "threat" consists of turning up and shouting loudly at public events.

This idea the media are trying to push that they're some sort of "terrorist" threat is frankly laughable.

This is it in a nutshell for me. I don't subscribe to his views on this or gay marriage, but I'll defend his right to hold them.

Particularly when he was very clear in the interview that he follows all the teachings, including the part about 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'. He was very clear that while he has his views, it's not his place to judge and also he is part of a pro-choice parliament, so while he may hold his own views, if he was PM no-one would be losing their rights.

I found him refreshing.

I also spent far too long arguing with a stereotypically rotund feminist after Dane Baptiste (shite comedian) said JRM as PM is equivalent to a pederast working in a school.

He can hold any views he wants, thankfully the vast majority of the population will find them archaic and moronic hence no PM job for him

The CofE and the papes are only a kick in the ass apart.

A good friend of mine from NI got married to a RC in a CoE church.

Whilst he was sitting waiting for his bride to walk down the aisle he got a tap on the shoulder from his mammy who pointed at the swinging joiner and asked him where have you brought me.

a few weeks ago i thought this guy had it ,but after this latest rubbish i am sorry i just dont agree with his view on abortion.

I really don’t understand how anyone can relate to what is essentially caricature of a conservative. What triggers in someone’s brain that they would like that guy to represent and run our country.

If Evelyn Waugh's great-grandson decided to be a politician I imagine he'd look and sound a lot like Jacob Rees-Mogg.

As much as I disagree with his Views. I find it quite reassuring that he stands by his beliefs .

Tend to agree mate, people like him are a minority in politics.

Also, there should be nothing wrong with objecting to the killing of human beings. Being opposed to it and getting it banned are entirely two separate issues. I dont understand whats so controversial about his opinion on abortion.

Tend to agree mate, people like him are a minority in politics.

Also, there should be nothing wrong with objecting to the killing of human beings. Being opposed to it and getting it banned are entirely two separate issues. I dont understand whats so controversial about his opinion on abortion.

Define that?

He is creepy as %^*&, as all heavily religious folk are. With views like that he should not even be an MP.

Religious nutters like him are holding the rest of us back. Away and live in the US south or Africa where your views are accepted.

The inverted snobbery on here is brilliant, what's needed is honest salt of the earth working class people in power. People like George Galloway, Tommy Sheridan, Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott. The guy has strongly held beliefs, I don't agree with them but I still think he's a good MP. The people who rush to condemn him are silent about Muslim MPs, yet Islam is the most intolerant load of shite on the planet. For them you can only be wrong if they consider you right wing.

I find it amazing that someone so obviously intelligent believes in any church's claptrap.

I don't agree with his views at all but Susanna Reid would never dare ask the same question to a Muslim leader or ask them about arranged/forced marriages which see young schoolgirls suddenly disappear from school and whisked out abroad to marry a cousin.

Yep, totally with you on this.

I'd rather a Catholic PM who is open about their views, than that joker Corbyn who will tell people whatever they want to hear in order to receive votes.

I had a conversation with a guy yesterday about abortion. He was ranting on people who campaign against it and saying how dumb they are basically. This is a guy who has turned vegan because of animals being killed. When asked how he can be in favour of what looks exactly like a baby being chopped to pieces he didnt have any answer.

The only time I agree with abortion is if it was a rape or carrying through with a full pregnancy would be life threatening to the mother.

People who abort because they 'changed their mind' or 'made a mistake' are despicable cunts.

I'd rather someone didn't bring a child in to the World they didn't want or wouldn't care for. There is enough suffering without adding to it.

I'm not for it being at the total negating of responsibility over precaution or sense but if somoene has made the choice for the right reasons, I see nothing against it.

Yep, totally with you on this.

I'd rather a Catholic PM who is open about their views, than that joker Corbyn who will tell people whatever they want to hear in order to receive votes.

Fucking nonsense. It doesn't have to be either.

Pick someone who isn't a fucking horrific lady's front bottom like JRM or Corbyn.

Goodness me this "well it's good he says what he believes" stuff is mental.

"I don't know if I agree with everything he says but at least Hitler said it as he saw it when he was murdering people by the million"

Have a think about things for a brief second.

I remember Billy Connolly saying that 'The desire to become a politician should barr you from being one'........they are all in it for themselves.
Her did indeed, spoken like someone who has never tried to change anything for the better in his lifetime.

Far too easy to sneer at every politician as if they're all the same. They're not.

Like us they come in good, bad and indifferent forms. I've met dozens of all parties and most of them, Labour, Tory or Liberal, are trying in their own to make things better.

We do have a constitution, it's just not a written, single document.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back