Jake Hastie

wee_bear

Official Ticketer
What’s everyone’s thoughts on young Jake Hastie?

For me the management haven’t seen enough from him to merit inclusion but surely he would’ve offered more than Ojo did domestically anyway. I’d like to see him on loan in the Premiership next season before we cut our losses, can’t think of a team I’d like to help out though!

On loan in L1 or Scottish Prem next year.

Needs to develop his all round game more, theres a theme developed at Motherwell & Rotherham where he has come out all guns blazing for the first 5/6 games then struggles when teams know what he is like.

Seems a strange signing , Gerrard clearly didn’t think he was ready not even to be a squad filler.
Understandable signing, opportunity to pick up a Scottish talent for free rather than having to shell out if he continues developing. More sense getting him in and then loaning him out to develop so we can command any future fee if he’s not good enough for us. Rather than Motherwell taking a fee from us if he is good enough, no risk involved.

He started very well at Rotherham, bear in mind he’s still learning senior football. I don’t know enough about him to rate him or not but he started like a train at both fir park and Rotherham. Most likely will be out on loan again to try gain some consistency.

Last edited:
Understandable signing, opportunity to pick up a Scottish talent for free rather than having to shell out if he continues developing. More sense getting him in and then loaning him out to develop so we can command any future fee if he’s not good enough for us. Rather than Motherwell taking a fee from us if he is good enough, no risk involved.
He‘s 22 hardly development material.

He‘s 22 hardly development material.
He’s 21, players can develop after that age Mccrorrie and Aribo for example are 23 and are still developing. Even so Motherwell could have commanded a couple of hundred grand based on his form and age. Again we pick him up for a free and sell him on for a couple of hundred grand, no risk.

Ojo was better than him imo. Hastie was on Rotherham's bench.

However, give me him over Barker.

Ojo is a different level all together.

Saying that, argument to be had, we need to stop filling the squad with guys like Ojo as cover.

Sadly, where we are it, we have to look to Hastie, Kennedy etc as the 4/5th choice in there.

Kent
Hahi
Aribo

Jones
Hastie/Kennedy
Stewart

Not sure we can justify carrying much more.

Similar to thoughts of getting Ferguson, an unfinished player who might develop,when we need players to hit the ground running if we are to challenge this season.

Hardly, the guy is young, on low wages, a good prospect, we should be buying up all the best of Scottish young talent and loaning them back to get game time like the do at Porto.
Some will come back ready for first team others we can sell, it's not bad business practice.
Reward far outweighs the risk, could even mention if we loan them to teams in Scotland they can hurt our rivals but not us.

Last edited:
He’s 21, players can develop after that age Mccrorrie and Aribo for example are 23 and are still developing. Even so Motherwell could have commanded a couple of hundred grand based on his form and age. Again we pick him up for a free and sell him on for a couple of grand, no risk.
Wiki has him born 1999 Sky 1998 (which is where I looked)
McCrorie and Aribo are both further on in their “Rangers” development.
Time will tell if you are right but I still have my doubts , happy to be proven wrong if it turns out that way though.

Wiki has him born 1999 Sky 1998 (which is where I looked)
McCrorie and Aribo are both further on in their “Rangers” development.
Time will tell if you are right but I still have my doubts , happy to be proven wrong if it turns out that way though.
I don’t necessarily expect him to make the grade at rangers. Don’t know enough about him to suggest that, my point was it’s a pretty reasonable signing getting a young highly rate player for free and then offloading him for a profit If he’s not good enough. Time will tell like you say but I see no downside atall to his signing.

I don’t necessarily expect him to make the grade at Rangers. Don’t know enough about him to suggest that, my point was it’s a pretty reasonable signing getting a young highly rate player for free and then offloading him for a profit If he’s not good enough. Time will tell like you say but I see no downside atall to his signing.
There a very few making the grade, the ones that have been loaned out are at very crap teams.
They then warm the bench half the time.
We have at least 6 - 8 that has happened to since SG arrived.
I hopeRoss Wilson and co sort this out asap

Can understand why we took the punt on him. Young, raw and promising. Would like to see him on loan for another year to home his game. That said though if we end up with squad players like Barker then I'd much rather have Jake around than useless dross burning finances.

We should of loaned him back to Motherwell if it had been possible. He would of played every week for them.

From what I remember Motherwell were a bit miffed he was coming to us and so were their fans. They would hate the idea of developing a Rangers player.

One of the many wingers we have accumulated

Which given we dont seemingly play with wingers is a strange strategy

He has very good potential, quick, strong, and a good left foot. Would never wish to compare him to Bale, he is a million miles away at present, but you can see a slight similarity with the way they cut in from the right, physique, plus the running power he has. Bale himself took a few years to turn into a superstar, the difference in him was spectacular once he got the confidence and experience.

Another year out on loan in Scotland, where he can further develop and get some more games and experience. It is quite rare that a Scottish player under 23 yo becomes a first choice pick at either us or the Tims due to the demands. This coming year especially, not a year for taking too many chances with developing youth.

Good example would be Christie at the Tims. Had a decent year at Aberdeen then came back with a bit more experience, ready to make an impact, whether it be goals, assists, or diving to win free kicks and penalties, wee cheating monkey heid that he is.

Wee reminder of what Hastie is capable of:-

He’s 21, players can develop after that age Mccrorrie and Aribo for example are 23 and are still developing. Even so Motherwell could have commanded a couple of hundred grand based on his form and age. Again we pick him up for a free and sell him on for a couple of hundred grand, no risk.

We didn't pick him up for free though, we paid a Development Fee. Rumoured to be in the region of £300k.

For me the management haven’t seen enough from him to merit inclusion but surely he would’ve offered more than Ojo did domestically anyway. I’d like to see him on loan in the Premiership next season before we cut our losses, can’t think of a team I’d like to help out though!

Dreadful player

The guy is 21. Let him fight for his place and give him a decent opportunity. Or will we send him out on a couple of loans and release him on a free 2 years later?

I think we thought we couldn’t get Kent back and panicked. In saying that he deserves a chance, probably needs a season loan play week in week out.

My standard reply here is “Rangers”.

Why bring him in in the first place if he's not going to be given a chance, don't think he'd have done any worse than Barker and Ojo, good left foot on him too.

To be honest I forgot all about him

Same here.

From the little I have seen of him I am have not been impressed, in fact I have been struggling to see whatever it was that encouraged us to sign him in the first place.

Hoping I'm wrong but will be surprised if he makes it at Rangers.

Seems a long way from our first team at the moment, he needs be loaned out to a team where he will play every week and really make an impression

Give him the chance. Too many times we sign young lads then nothing. Would like to see Doc given a run out as well
Think I can say the same for some of our own youth team,if they're good enough they're old enough. I know they still have to learn game management,but I'd rather we gave them a run out rather than players that shouldn't be near the first team maybe a couple on the bench to start with,at least they'll play for the Jersey.

He was excellent for Motherwell - far better player than Jones, Barker or Stewart, which makes his treatment all the more bizarre. Hopefully he gets a good pre-season under his belt and cements his place in the starting XI for 20/21 - he has all the ability.

He was a low-risk signing given his contractual situation. Personally I think we're too quick to judge young guys and discard them before allowing them to develop.

Aye, he's raw but I think we'd be hasty (pun intended) to get rid right now.

Christie was out on loan for 3 seasons for the poets before he became one of their top scorers.

If he’s worse than Barker then he should take up a new career.

The truth is that he’s probably just a bit too young and inexperienced to play consistently under the current management set up.

Saw him in a very physical and competitive friendly down at Mansfield at the start of the season.

He was good only in patches, but never stopped trying.

Greg Stewart was on a totally different level to any other forward player on the park that day, incidentally.

Back