Jake Hastie

Saw him in a very physical and competitive friendly down at Mansfield at the start of the season.

He was good only in patches, but never stopped trying.

Greg Stewart was on a totally different level to any other forward player on the park that day, incidentally.

Big fan of Stewart. It always baffled me why Gerrard didn't consistently play him as one of our number 10s. He seemed perfect for that role.

Big fan of Stewart. It always baffled me why Gerrard didn't consistently play him as one of our number 10s. He seemed perfect for that role.

He did very well when used at Ibrox against the deep lying defensive teams, particularly Aberdeen.

He was never a number 9 though and unfortunately too many people judge him on his performance in that position at Tynecastle, when Morelos never came back from Colombia.

If you look at the YouTube highlights video, pretend he was a 26 yo player from a Dutch mid table team, and was costing £3m, then we would have been salivating. Everybody seems to get more excited over a young, big money foreign signing. Grezda for example.

Fact is, he is a 21yo Scottish guy we signed from Motherwell for around £300k. At that age and money, then all you are buying is potential really, and is not a risk. If he comes good for us then great, if not then it was worth a shot.

If he gets a chance with us then it might just be something like a great or important goal that sets him on his way, confidence wise. Either way, the management will know better than us if he is able to make the step up.

We all remember the dramatic difference to Alan Hutton after a few good games, he went from being a young boy with potential, to being a £9m player for Spurs in a very short space of time, albeit it is harder for attacking players to gain consistency and confidence given the nature of the position. I just don’t understand folk writing off Hastie yet, probably the same folk that used to get on Laudrup‘s back when he misplaced a pass.

I think we as fans forget that nearly every signing we make now is a step up in levels both ability wise and especially mentality and its not until we(management) see them with us are they able to make a judgement.
Like most things in life you get what you pay for.You can be lucky now and again but not on a regular basis.

He did very well when used at Ibrox against the deep lying defensive teams, particularly Aberdeen.

He was never a number 9 though and unfortunately too many people judge him on his performance in that position at Tynecastle, when Morelos never came back from Colombia.

He would play well (like that game you mentioned) then would get dropped. Just got the feeling the gaffer never trusted him.

He looked very raw against St Joseph’s. Not sure I’d completely write him off but if he was off the pace in at that level it’s hard to see him being a first team player. Another loan deal for me.

We have a huge squad that we don’t utilise properly.

Players like Stewart, Jones, Barker, Ojo are judged on fleeting appearances here and there, and are written off by some on here.

Hastie is written off by some on here without given a proper chance same as Middleton.

However I could give you examples of where each of them have performed. Strangely most noticeably in Europe.

Gerrard doesn’t do squad rotation very well. You can’t bring a player in from the cold and fling him in expect him to be firing on all cylinders, particularly with our vocal support. First misplaced pass it’s a groan second and it’s get him to fcuk. Does nothing for a players confidence.

If you look at the YouTube highlights video, pretend he was a 26 yo player from a Dutch mid table team, and was costing £3m, then we would have been salivating. Everybody seems to get more excited over a young, big money foreign signing. Grezda for example.

Fact is, he is a 21yo Scottish guy we signed from Motherwell for around £300k. At that age and money, then all you are buying is potential really, and is not a risk. If he comes good for us then great, if not then it was worth a shot.

If he gets a chance with us then it might just be something like a great or important goal that sets him on his way, confidence wise. Either way, the management will know better than us if he is able to make the step up.

We all remember the dramatic difference to Alan Hutton after a few good games, he went from being a young boy with potential, to being a £9m player for Spurs in a very short space of time, albeit it is harder for attacking players to gain consistency and confidence given the nature of the position. I just don’t understand folk writing off Hastie yet, probably the same folk that used to get on Laudrup‘s back when he misplaced a pass.
excellent post..I agree, if Hastie was from Jan Van De Hastie from AZ Alkmaar and cost 3 mil we would be loving it, because he is a local guy folk are too quick to right him off. Give him a chance and lets see how he progresses, even as a squad player it is low risk.

Hardly, the guy is young, on low wages, a good prospect, we should be buying up all the best of Scottish young talent and loaning them back to get game time like the do at Porto.
Some will come back ready for first team others we can sell, it's not bad business practice.
He is nowhere near the standard required he had only a handful of games for Motherwell FFS,. Best young players yes he wasn't
one of them. Benched at Rotherham just about says it all

Loan him back to Motherwell get a good season out of him and european football aswell and hopefully turns up against the dhims.

I think we thought we couldn’t get Kent back and panicked. In saying that he deserves a chance, probably needs a season loan play week in week out.

Whit? Hastie was signed long before Kent arrived permanently and indeed we had a Bosman lined up for him from last March. It was in No way a panic signing. %^*& sake

We should of loaned him back to Motherwell if it had been possible. He would of played every week for them.

Robinson was refusing to play him after he signed for us so there was no point sending him there.

For me alarm bells were ringing the game last season when we won 3-0 at Fir Park after the split where it was rumoured he had signed for us and he was poor in that game. His loan move started well but then faded away rumours about his fitness levels being poor. When he returned and was involved in Inverness cup game with the Colts you wouldn't have known he was on the park.

It was a low risk gamble but out the current options we have then a loan deal somewhere would be best for all parties.

Sick of all the stuff like too young,too raw,not ready etc. etc.
The young guys we bring through never seem to be good enough for anyone on here but we loan in other teams youth players and keep playing them even when they're gash!
Play our own young guys! At least they know they're playing to try get into our first team for years to come,not just here to play few months for some other club! Hope this loan pish gets slammed on the head.

He looked like he was trying too hard when he got a couple of games at the start of the season. Still very raw so a loan move again would be good for him.

I think that Hastie - you could also throw in Greg Docherty - are examples of what I feel is lack of a coherent development strategy by the Rangers coaching staff. Knowing that guys like Hastie, when signed, aren't going to be immediate starters in the 1st. team squad, you would think that before signing him a clear, step-by-step plan would have been devised to promote his development. It would also be expected that all of this would have been explained and agreed to by the player beforehand.

But Instead we seem to be just making it up as we go along. Rangers, in recent times. have a poor track record of developing young talent, and I think our failure to have a coherent strategy in place to accomplish this is a major reason.

Personally I'd loan him to another Prem club where he can hopefully do some damage to our rivals while still learning his trade.

Don't think he'll make it with us but would gladly be proved wrong.

I would loan him to an spl team. If we are interested in Lewis Ferguson or dykes from livi maybe a make weight in those deals? Maybe back to Motherwell and Turnbull to us ?

He looked very, very raw from the limited games I’ve watched of him.

Maybe needs another loan. Saying that, I’d rather have guys like him in the squad than Barker.

We are seriously bloated with shite in the ranks.
Completely agree mate. He may be raw but he will be way hungrier than Barker and still keen to go direct.. not afraid to run at people

He is nowhere near the standard required he had only a handful of games for Motherwell FFS,. Best young players yes he wasn't
one of them. Benched at Rotherham just about says it all
Think we should see more of him before we judge. With all due respect I don’t think the Rotherham staff are the best judges of players. Beat to get a run of games at an SPL club or let him develop

If Rotherham don’t want you, it doesn’t bode well for a career at Rangers.

Last edited:
Seemed a decent signing at the time purely because we were desperate to sign an up and coming talent from our own league but I find it difficult to see where he fits in tbh.

Jack and at times kamara aside our purchases at spfl level are exactly what you would expect to get. Nothing that would win us a league
Barker
Hastie
Murphy
Jones
Docherty
Kamberi

Not good enough.

Hasn't been given a fair crack of the whip.

All the more frustrating when you see the shite Ojo and Barker were serving up.

Jack and at times kamara aside our purchases at spfl level are exactly what you would expect to get. Nothing that would win us a league
Barker
Hastie
Murphy
Jones
Docherty
Kamberi

Not good enough.

Johnny Hayes has 2 league medals and a *,

3 league cup and 1 Scottish Cup winners medals.

Not ready for a move to Rangers and we don't have the luxury to bring in these guys and get them a fair shot. Wasted fee imo. Seems like we bought wingers last summer like throwing sh*te at a wall and seeing what would stick.

If I were to honest, the Rangers scouting staff - along with the coaches - have not exactly covered themselves in glory when you look at the number of young players that have been brought in, only to end up riding the bench.

If you sign players such as Hastie, or Docherty etc - presumably on the basis of their potential - then loan them out, bring them back, then fail to give them any real starting minutes to show what they can do, either the coaching they are receiving at Ibrox sucks, or they were overrated to begin with, and never should have been signed in the first place.

Given the ever decreasing budgets that will inevitably curtail our attempts to upgrade the team, one would think that scouting, coaching, and player development, should be given an absolute top priority.

excellent post..I agree, if Hastie was from Jan Van De Hastie from AZ Alkmaar and cost 3 mil we would be loving it, because he is a local guy folk are too quick to right him off. Give him a chance and lets see how he progresses, even as a squad player it is low risk.
Jan Van De Hastie got 16 in 22 last season and looks like a good option to replace Morelos ;)

Signing a player with less than half a season playing in the Premiership was always going to be a gamble.

No real surprise he’s not made the step up.

From what I remember Motherwell were a bit miffed he was coming to us and so were their fans. They would hate the idea of developing a Rangers player.
Agree but I never thought I would see hiv fans thanking an on loan rangers player for his time there.

Never seen him play 1 minute for Rangers, seen him play against us after he'd signed his pre contract and it was obvious then it was one for the future. Is the future now? Who knows

Feels like a Mark Allen signing.

Despite returning from loan in January,I think he rarely made the bench. He's clearly not rated.

Get him on loan to a Scottish Premier League club and let's see how he performs.

Feels like a Mark Allen signing.

Despite returning from loan in January,I think he rarely made the bench. He's clearly not rated.

Get him on loan to a Scottish Premier League club and let's see how he performs.

I think he was a Mark Allen signing... young, scottish with potential. I believe Allen was very much behind that model. I'd give him another loan... someone else another english club in League One. I think he came to the game quite late as a footballer, so I'm confident he still has plenty of scope for development. A long term project I think...

He is a young prospect with potential, we are still allowed to sign those

On loan in L1 or Scottish Prem next year.

Needs to develop his all round game more, theres a theme developed at Motherwell & Rotherham where he has come out all guns blazing for the first 5/6 games then struggles when teams know what he is like.

Barry McKayesque

Back