Jake Hastie

6 months of cutting inside and unleashing arsehole winders won him a move to us. The lottery for him, poor from our recruitment at the time.

Probably nothing - it
It's not really. Free transfer, young Scottish player, scored goals in the SPL.

What baffles you?
Probably nothing- it’s just becoming one of those ‘go to’ FF sayings, just like ‘Utter shambles’ and ‘I’d sign him in a heartbeat’.

Just remember it’s The Bear Pit I on Follow Follow.

For many poster on here we should only be signing players like Messi and Ronaldo. We set the bar very high.
Messi and Ronaldo? Too old, no sell on value, Messi is shite in the air and Ronaldo hasn’t scored against the mentally challengeds (*I think).

I think the days of taking punts on spl players are now behind us, thankfully.

There may be the odd proven player here and there, but no more speculative punts.

I'm never one to quickly judge but when I seen him struggle to do basic things right v St Joseph's, I came away from that game thinking he's never making it with us.

Baffling we were watching Motherwell and signed Hastie over Turnbull
Taking a chance on someone out of contract after a decent half season is a lot different from spunking £3m on someone who had a few good months scoring against bottom half teams.

Taking a chance on someone out of contract after a decent half season is a lot different from spunking £3m on someone who had a few good months scoring against bottom half teams.
Turnbull was available on a pre-contract as well

Turnbull is light years ahead of Hastie as a footballer

Not usually one for writing off players before we've seen much of them, especially youngsters. But I don't really see what he's got to offer us.
No but youve just done it.

The boy is low on confidence, hes a good wee player and looked great for Motherwell two seasons ago. I hope he comes good for them this season and either comes back or gets a good move to suit him and us,

thought he was a strange signing for us in the first place , never seen anything outstanding from him anytime we played motherwell.

He's played like a game and a half after a year of sparse first team football, but FF has decided he is pish and a baffling signing even though it was met with strong praise at the time

Beam me up man, I'm done

He was a low risk signing that looks like it won’t pay off. The baffling comments are totally missing the point. It was a punt that looks unlikely to pay off. Very little lost, and we may get a small fee for him.

In the grand scheme of things on the shambles scale, where Pena is 100, Hastie barely registers as a 1.

He's played like a game and a half after a year of sparse first team football, but FF has decided he is pish and a baffling signing even though it was met with strong praise at the time

Beam me up man, I'm done

Yeah people agreed it made sense at the time, but it’s hardly surprising that’s now shifted to “baffling signing” with the power of hindsight.

I do worry for him though. I think the whole Rangers move might have been too much too soon and he’s feeling the pressure of having to get it right now in order to have any sort of a chance here.

Won't have been the first player to arrive at Rangers and find it daunting, but he does have natural talent and if he makes a go of this season then who actually knows? At his age he could still have a fine career ahead; whether that's here or elsewhere we don't really know yet.

I agree, I always thought he was strange acquisition.
He didn't play many games for Motherwell before we signed him but he was brilliant in that short space of time and was exactly what we were missing, a wide player who could cut inside and be a goal threat, instead of someone like Candeias who would just run down the line and throw cross after cross into a crowded box. Just a shame that besides his first few games for Rotherham he's been pish since he signed

He was a low risk signing that looks like it won’t pay off. The baffling comments are totally missing the point. It was a punt that looks unlikely to pay off. Very little lost, and we may get a small fee for him.

In the grand scheme of things on the shambles scale, where Pena is 100, Hastie barely registers as a 1.
This, it was a roll of the dice. Guy is young and still early in the season. As long as he gets game time for Motherwell he’ll progress

I know I know it’s only a game, but if his wages anything to go by in FM20, then it’s bigger outlay than a ‘free transfer’. FM is usually quite accurate with these things believe it or not.

A poor signing for sure. You win some and lose some, sadly for us we lose the vast majority
I wonder how many clubs actually have a better than 1 in 10 success rate.

I think in football any club who doesn't "lose the vast majority" must be the exception rather than the rule.

Christ if that's the cost of a development fee for a boy from Motherwell's academy, it's no wonder we have been taking English boys like Rossiter, Dodoo and Bassey.

All three of those cost similar amounts in development fees.

I have high hopes for him.
He needs to get his mindset in gear then, I think the same as you but he plays with rounded shoulders and head down and flat footed at the moment, a few goal with help him come back out his shell and he has plenty time to do so.

He was one of Motherwells better performers and was treated like a star and I’m sure danced round his teammates at the training , he then comes to us to find out we have youngsters who were more advanced in technique even though they hadn’t played league football, that has to effect a young boy .

Low risk gamble for the club. It’s not worked out and for me he isn’t of the required quality coming of the bench nevermind being a starter in the 11.

I’d be looking to get rid and get as much back for him as we can.

The lad has been getting abuse from his loan clubs fans since the move was suggested. What chance has he got?

We should have loaned him elsewhere.

See how his loan spell goes with Motherwell, he won't be the first youngster who's development has taken a nosedive due to signing for Rangers and I dare say he won't be the last. Boy deserves a chance to show what he can do in Scotland with Motherwell this season then take it from there, game time will improve him plus get his knocked confidence back.

He's a young guy who has had a lot of praise, weight and expectation placed on his shoulders. He clearly needs some space and time to get his head and game together. He has been given that and I'm sure he will settle back into form at Motherwell.

To say currently not good enough is fair criticism of any footballer not doing it. But some of the write off comments on here are a wee bit premature.

He was really good for Motherwell before we signed him so I understand why we took a punt on him but he obviously is miles off it now.

Hardly one to get raging about.

All the bizarre and baffling comments are a bit strange, young player had a really good season with another club and we took a punt on him, yes he is pish now but he wasn't the season before we signed him and there really isn't anything baffling or bizarre about it.

He had a good scoring run at Motherwell but I was never really convinced. He’s often described as a “strong runner“. I’m not too sure what that means because he’s not especially quick. When he was being scouted surely Turnbull would have caught the eye?

He wasn't even the best talent in Scotland.

There is very little quality in Scotland and it's getting worse by the season. There isn't a young player in Scotland that improves our first 11.

Gone are the days of Naismith, Boyd, Novo, Thomson et al.

This is not true. Our youths are being properly scouted for the first time in years (and by big clubs), and we have the more players in the EPL than I can remember, including players who previously played in the SPFL.

Back