Jake Hastie

The boy just needs a wee run in a team get some first team games behind him, he might be going through a confidence crisis but he's still very young.

Plenty of time to turn it around, people writing him off already.

He's 21 FS
And can’t get a game for a dreadful Motherwell

Can't see the lad ever making it with us - we are improving every year and even though he's young it doesn't look like he's up to the standard. He'll carve out a decent career at another Scottish team I'm sure

Why don’t these guys ever tell us it’s a strange signing at the time?

They always wait till months down the line when there’s signs it might not work out before offering their pearls of wisdom.
Very quick to slate the management, the board, the scouting and anybody else they can think of if a player were to make it big and we allowed him to slip past us.
e.g. Andrew Robertson.

Nah, it doesn't really work like that. Like it or not, Celtic have been utterly dominant over the past 3 seasons, and no other SPFL side has got anywhere near them. Unlike signing Scottish players who had at least done something in the country (Kevin Thomson, Steven Whittaker, Kris Boyd, Stevie Naismith, even Kirk Broadfoot) we're signing SPFL players with next-to-no success in this country and expecting them to deliver something for us that they were unable to deliver for their previous teams (this was the main reason lots of people didn't want McInnes as manager) - Hastie, Docherty, Stewart, Barker, Jones, Kamberi are all, being kind, sub-average players, with little to no future at the club outside of squad appearances.

Some signings do work, and others don't, but the signings of Scottish/British/SPFL players by Gerrard and his team definitely hasn't worked. Has even one of them approached something looking like success?
What you on about?
Hastie was brought in for next to nowt as a youth player.
Have the mentally challengeds not just sent a mentally challenged they made a song and dance about taking from us or Hibs, to Hibs again? Is it the same player? Or two. I don't pay attention. But whisper it. They buy a lot of shite of all ages, that don't work out too. It's football.

How much has Gerrard spent on all these Scottish failures?
Is it as much as 2 million on a half dozen players who are being moved on for fees?

Nah, it doesn't really work like that. Like it or not, Celtic have been utterly dominant over the past 3 seasons, and no other SPFL side has got anywhere near them. Unlike signing Scottish players who had at least done something in the country (Kevin Thomson, Steven Whittaker, Kris Boyd, Stevie Naismith, even Kirk Broadfoot) we're signing SPFL players with next-to-no success in this country and expecting them to deliver something for us that they were unable to deliver for their previous teams (this was the main reason lots of people didn't want McInnes as manager) - Hastie, Docherty, Stewart, Barker, Jones, Kamberi are all, being kind, sub-average players, with little to no future at the club outside of squad appearances.

Some signings do work, and others don't, but the signings of Scottish/British/SPFL players by Gerrard and his team definitely hasn't worked. Has even one of them approached something looking like success?

Glen Kamara

One look at his legs in that boxing training video he posted and I could tell he wouldn't make it with us.

I remember a few worried bears including @the_baron and myself voicing our concerns at the time.

If it doesn’t work out, so be it. Very little outlay and he was worth a punt.

Folk need to stop talking about signing him as if it’s been costly and a huge risk.

One look at his legs in that boxing training video he posted and I could tell he wouldn't make it with us.

I remember a few worried bears including @the_baron and myself voicing our concerns at the time.

I still to this day don't understand why nobody at Ibrox had the same concerns. It was quite evident those legs would never make any impact at Ibrox unless he was prepared to dedicate himself to a very strict leg focused training regimen.

Quite clearly he hasn't and he is suffering the consequences.

In the cup game at Inverness last season he looked lost. His confidence had taken a big bump.

I agree with another poster though, get him out of Motherwell and let him go to a club that will put him in the first team as he needs to play and not resting his arse on the bench.
Motherwell were starting him, and he was poor so they dropped him after a few games

Most of those guys hadn't achieved anything before they joined the club either in fairness, I think Whittaker won the 2007 League Cup. They were the best players at their club, and we made several of those signings around that era, and as you say some worked and some didn't.

The reality is that the country in general isn't producing players of that ilk anymore. I have never known there to be such a gap between us, the papes, and the rest of the league. It's of no surprise teams set up the way they do against us as it's realistically their only strategy to get something out the game, barring a disastrous performance from us.

What you on about?
Hastie was brought in for next to nowt as a youth player.
Have the mentally challengeds not just sent a mentally challenged they made a song and dance about taking from us or Hibs, to Hibs again? Is it the same player? Or two. I don't pay attention. But whisper it. They buy a lot of shite of all ages, that don't work out too. It's football.

How much has Gerrard spent on all these Scottish failures?
Is it as much as 2 million on a half dozen players who are being moved on for fees?

I think it's really quite obvious, unless you're being deliberately difficult.

Signing other SPFL players has been, on the whole, an area in which we have found little success in an age when Celtic are, sadly and obviously, consistently better than other SPFL teams.

Before I repeat my point, however, it's worth reiterating that nowhere in my post have I mentioned the cost of other SPFL players joining us and flopping. Nowhere at all. It was merely a point, made without acknowledgement of financial outlay, that this has not been a happy hunting ground for us.

It's an area in which I too have no interest, but I've no idea why you've mentioned Celtic's signing policy, but it's fairly obvious that a player lacking success/experience in Scotland is going to fit far better into a team who has previously won things.

Most of those guys hadn't achieved anything before they joined the club either in fairness, I think Whittaker won the 2007 League Cup. They were the best players at their club, and we made several of those signings around that era, and as you say some worked and some didn't.

The reality is that the country in general isn't producing players of that ilk anymore. I have never known there to be such a gap between us, the papes, and the rest of the league. It's of no surprise teams set up the way they do against us as it's realistically their only strategy to get something out the game, barring a disastrous performance from us.

That's not true, though. Thomson was Hibs' club captain and part of a team that beat the Old Firm a few times. Along with Whittaker, they probably flopped but Hibs at that point were pumping out good, Scottish talent at a far superior rate than us or Celtic. Boyd's goalscoring at Killie was better than anyone else playing in the league just now - hard to imagine anyone in the SPFL just now scoring five goals in a single game - and Naismith helped take Killie to a final and won a couple of youth player of the year awards. Even Broadfoot had a couple of medals to show for his time at St Mirren!

There is, as you've rightly pointed out, no one similar to that ilk operating just now in Scotland.

That's not true, though. Thomson was Hibs' club captain and part of a team that beat the Old Firm a few times. Along with Whittaker, they probably flopped but Hibs at that point were pumping out good, Scottish talent at a far superior rate than us or Celtic. Boyd's goalscoring at Killie was better than anyone else playing in the league just now - hard to imagine anyone in the SPFL just now scoring five goals in a single game - and Naismith helped take Killie to a final and won a couple of youth player of the year awards. Even Broadfoot had a couple of medals to show for his time at St Mirren!

There is, as you've rightly pointed out, no one similar to that ilk operating just now in Scotland.
I don't know what you are disagreeing with mate, my point was that they were their clubs best players at the time, but none of them aside from Whittaker had won anything of note.

As you have said, if you compare and contrast the quality of player you've listed above versus what's around in the league today then there simply is no comparison.

That was my overall point, not that they didn't achieve anything per say, all they were missing was trophies, and they got them when they signed and did the business for us.

I don't know what you are disagreeing with mate, my point was that they were their clubs best players at the time, but none of them aside from Whittaker had won anything of note.

As you have said, if you compare and contrast the quality of player you've listed above versus what's around in the league today then there simply is no comparison.

That was my overall point, not that they didn't achieve anything per say, all they were missing was trophies, and they got them when they signed and did the business for us.

That's a fair enough point, but their achievements (outwith trophy success) are far superior to anyone currently playing in Scottish football, I'd say.

If we take someone like Lewis Ferguson, for example, with whom there's some clamour to sign on here, we're dealing with a guy who has played in a relegation dogfight for Hamilton, lost in a cup final for Aberdeen and lost out on a youth player award to Ryan Kent. Thomson, Whittaker, etc all had more impressive CVs at that point in their career.

Why don’t these guys ever tell us it’s a strange signing at the time?

They always wait till months down the line when there’s signs it might not work out before offering their pearls of wisdom.

Some posters are complaining about Itten and they're getting stick for not giving him enough time. You're taking a different approach with Hastie and saying the critics have taken too much time to assess and criticise.

Im not criticising you or anyone else. I think this is what a forum such as FF should be like. Different posters expressing different opinions.

I think it's really quite obvious, unless you're being deliberately difficult.

Signing other SPFL players has been, on the whole, an area in which we have found little success in an age when Celtic are, sadly and obviously, consistently better than other SPFL teams.

Before I repeat my point, however, it's worth reiterating that nowhere in my post have I mentioned the cost of other SPFL players joining us and flopping. Nowhere at all. It was merely a point, made without acknowledgement of financial outlay, that this has not been a happy hunting ground for us.

It's an area in which I too have no interest, but I've no idea why you've mentioned Celtic's signing policy, but it's fairly obvious that a player lacking success/experience in Scotland is going to fit far better into a team who has previously won things.
It would be easy to just say nothing has worked for Gerrard then (so far).
Which is a logical assumption and a logical outcome given we've won nowt and given that the other mob have (or had) so much more money to throw about.

We need to attempt to pick up bargains from whichever league in the world.
We've always done better historically with a Scottish influence in the team.

Have you a better alternative?

The deliberately difficult and obvious patter is chronic.
In other words, you want better than we have or can afford, you want better players than our rivals can afford, but you don't want us to take risks or buy local or go too far away and upset the balance.

Which seems very much like you want the moon to be made of cheese and be within your reach.

If you ignore the players who have worked out, from the bargain bin. They've all failed and that's not acceptable seems to be your argument, it's a bit thin.

Oh, and before you come away with the next obvious bit of patter about me putting words in your mouth and how you never actually said that.
It's obvious unless I'm being deliberately difficult isn't it?

Sick and tired of this "strange signing" line.

He was 19, playing well and regularly in the league, looked a very good prospect and we brought him in on a nominal development fee.

It definitely hasn't worked out yet, but dont pretend like it was some baffling decision from the scouting team. It made perfect sense.
Enough of this common sense talking, he hasn't scored in every single game therefore he must be gash.

It would be easy to just say nothing has worked for Gerrard then (so far).
Which is a logical assumption and a logical outcome given we've won nowt and given that the other mob have (or had) so much more money to throw about.

We need to attempt to pick up bargains from whichever league in the world.
We've always done better historically with a Scottish influence in the team.

Have you a better alternative?

The deliberately difficult and obvious patter is chronic.
In other words, you want better than we have or can afford, you want better players than our rivals can afford, but you don't want us to take risks or buy local or go too far away and upset the balance.

Which seems very much like you want the moon to be made of cheese and be within your reach.

If you ignore the players who have worked out, from the bargain bin. They've all failed and that's not acceptable seems to be your argument, it's a bit thin.

Oh, and before you come away with the next obvious bit of patter about me putting words in your mouth and how you never actually said that.
It's obvious unless I'm being deliberately difficult isn't it?

I'm not sure if your first point is general or specifically about the signing of other Scottish players, but I certainly didn't say anything about nothing having worked out for Gerrard so far.

I don't have an alternative and if I did I wouldn't be scratching my arse just now, listening to TalkSport and watching This Morning. In any case, you're shifting your argument slightly. I don't know what might work, but, judging from the list of disappointing SPFL players at the club, I certainly know what doesn't. That's really the only point I'm making, or want to make.

Some posters are complaining about Itten and they're getting stick for not giving him enough time. You're taking a different approach with Hastie and saying the critics have taken too much time to assess and criticise.

Im not criticising you or anyone else. I think this is what a forum such as FF should be like. Different posters expressing different opinions.

Apples and oranges, the two discussions are completely different. The Hastie debate had nothing to do with his ability, it was the notion he was a “strange signing” - despite the fact he was young, had shown decent form and was a low cost/low risk gamble so there was nothing strange about it and curiously ‘strange signing’ wasn’t something we heard at the time.

With Itten it’s nothing to do with people being puzzled at why we signed him, it’s just folk who’ve never seen him kick a ball before deciding he’s not good enough after a meagre 191 minutes of football. Ridiculous.

The club are being smart with these players, get them on a free.. Send them on loan, and if they do well they either get added to the squad or we sell for 500k

Really low risk

exactly, sign the best young talent in the league and if it doesn’t work out sell them on.

Back