Jake Hastie

I think he needs to go out on loan for a couple of seasons, play 60 or so first team games then come back and see if he is good enough.

Going by last night, and that isn't entirely fair, he has a fair distance to go in terms of development.

I’d argue our youth teams have had bigger games than Motherwell’s first team in recent years

You trying to say Motherwell v Rangers at Fir Park, or Ibrox doesn't dwarf any youth game?

Not to mention their recent semis and finals at Hampden?

Mental statement mate.

Hastie is a terrific prospect and will be an excellent signing.

You trying to say Motherwell v Rangers at Fir Park, or Ibrox doesn't dwarf any youth game?

Not to mention their recent semis and finals at Hampden?

Mental statement mate.

Hastie is a terrific prospect and will be an excellent signing.

I was meaning games Hastie has been involved in, not a huge sample to be fair.

I don’t see him any better than Middleton at the minute. Neither is ready for our first team if we’re pushing for the league and in Europe this season.

I don’t see him any better than Middleton at the minute. Neither is ready for our first team if we’re pushing for the league and in Europe this season.
Give him a chance, hes first competitive start last night

He certainly impressed for Motherwell last season mate.

Scored some quality goals too.

What I did notice though is he played on the right for Motherwell and was very strong and direct cutting in on to his left foot.

Definitely seemed more comfortable there.

One for the future, who'll do very well for us.

Was slightly disappointed in him last night . I put that down to nerves think a better value of him is after a few more appearances but that will be sub nowhere near ready as a starter but has all the ability to succeed .I've previously stated I thought he might be ready to start this season ,not at the moment but I think he has a big future with us .

This. I think it would be best if we loaned him back to Motherwell for a season to continue his development

You do realise that the Motherwell fans wouldn’t exactly welcome him back with open arms? Never underestimate the hatred there is for us amongst other fans.

From Alloa to Motherwell to playing for Rangers in Europe in the space of a year , some journey.
Looked out of it at times last night but has plenty time to put this right.

Thought he looked fairly dangerous, but also had a couple of disappointing moments in terms of chances - though I think the one I was most disappointed in was when their defence parted like the Nile (due to his drive into space) - Morelos was wide open and he didn't play the pass - really should've got the head up.

No point in being overly critical at this stage too - am sure Gerrard will be letting him know what he's got to work on, and there is raw material there.

Agree on that opportunity.

At our level these moments need to be taken, and the opportunity maybe lasts two seconds maximum, so he needs to be developed mentally.

On the one Alfie went to the line he took it with his left & should maybe have taken it with his right.

But he’s a kid & one for the future. As long as his attitude to improving is right he'll make it.

He certainly impressed for Motherwell last season mate.

Scored some quality goals too.

What I did notice though is he played on the right for Motherwell and was very strong and direct cutting in on to his left foot.

Definitely seemed more comfortable there.

One for the future, who'll do very well for us.

That’s the key point for me. He’s definitely more comfortable on the right side with the option to cut in. He’ll be a good player for us but you can see Stewart and Arfield getting that slot ahead of him this season.

I understand what you're saying mate, but Gerrard had clearly decided he'd 4 better options in Arfield,Ojo, Stewart and Jones for the positions behind the striker, so Candeias was never going to play in these games.

Hastie only started last night because the tie was already won and Gerrard wanted to use the opportunity to give him experience of a big game atmosphere at Ibrox.

That's good man management imo.
Not if you’re on record as you want to keep him onside and in the squad. Life is all about opinions so we’ll agree to disagree on this one.;)

Only one game but I’m not sure what he brings to the team that Middleton doesn’t
I agree with you mate! Although he is young and will most likely improve.. i was disappointed that he never tucked his sitter away last night.. actually think Middleton is the better of the two, just my opinion not slating the lad.. plenty of time etc etc.

He missed some absolute sitters. Technically he’s behind, was a bizarre signing. He needs to go out of loan however Gerrard has seen something in him and hopefully Hastie can find something and be a great Ranger.

He missed some absolute sitters. Technically he’s behind, was a bizarre signing. He needs to go out of loan however Gerrard has seen something in him and hopefully Hastie can find something and be a great Ranger.

How on earth was it a bizarre signing? It’s been reported we were after him for years and we then get the opportunity to bring him in for a small fee after he showed he could cut it in our league at a young age.

I thought he was poor last night. He was definitely trying too hard and didn't settle into the game at all.
I can see the potential but I don't see him fulfilling it this season and maybe not next either.
Needs a full season of decent level competitive football under his belt (much like Docherty) and maybe then we'll see the player we can all see glimpses of shine through.

Thought when we signed him best to be loaned out given options we have.

Last night he looked so raw. Seemed to let the occasion get on top of him. He hasn't actually played that much top team football. My honest opinion is he isnt probably ready for first team football at Ibrox. Loan move is best.

Thought when we signed him best to be loaned out given options we have.

Last night he looked so raw. Seemed to let the occasion get on top of him. He hasn't actually played that much top team football. My honest opinion is he isnt probably ready for first team football at Ibrox. Loan move is best.

It’s a difficult one. I’d say sending him straight out on loan, rather than helping his confidence, will dent it. I’d keep him at Ibrox under our guidance at least until January, probably until next Summer. Sending him out could do more harm than good.

It’s a difficult one. I’d say sending him straight out on loan, rather than helping his confidence, will dent it. I’d keep him at Ibrox under our guidance at least until January, probably until next Summer. Sending him out could do more harm than good.

I get that but he simply isnt going to get meaningful game time imo.

Ojo. Arfield. Jones. Stewart. Possibly candieas and possibly Kent all vying for positions. Hes needing games. I'd like to see him at st Johnston or such like playing every week because he came through recently ag motherwell

I get that but he simply isnt going to get meaningful game time imo.

Ojo. Arfield. Jones. Stewart. Possibly candieas and possibly Kent all vying for positions. Hes needing games. I'd like to see him at st Johnston or such like playing every week because he came through recently ag motherwell

He will get SOME gametime. What he will also get though is a close-up view of what it’s going to take to break through at Ibrox and a whole heap of top notch coaching to improve his game awareness and tactical understanding. Then, after exposure to that, send him on loan.

I think he will stay until Jan. Get some schooling in the expectations, but with limited first team game time.

Then a loan in Jan and decision made in summer if he will be loaned again or stay next season to help us get to 56.

He didn't have a great game last night and Middleton is a level above based on that one performance. But he will need time to adapt to his new team mates and general expectations compared to at Motherwell. I can see him being loaned out either before end of the window or In the winter when he isn't in the team consistently.

Back