James Lawrence, front page of the early Sunday Mail (wrong pic)

Would rather not spend 3 million on a defender when he might not even start. There's other positions where that kind of money would be better suited.

Just thinking the same .

Why on God’s earth would be spend £3 on a centre half to sit on the bench ? We have our first pick centre half pairing we only now need two for cover .

I think this story is poppycock TBH.

Anderlecht paid half a million for him a year ago, not sure if he has been injured but he’s not played a huge amount of games for them

Where is the £3m value coming from?

I don’t know anything about him, but if he’s an upgrade on what we’ve got why would people think its ‘madness’ to spend money on a centre back?

I don’t know anything about him, but if he’s an upgrade on what we’ve got why would people think its ‘madness’ to spend money on a centre back?

Might it be because he was shite a few days ago in a big live TV game, the Wales fans don't like him and £3m is a significant outlay for us?

Might it because he was shite a few days ago in a big live TV game, the Wales fans don't like him and £3m is a significant outlay for us.

II was more meaning generally as I’ve seen folk say we shouldn’t spend money on a centre back.

I have zero opinion on this particular player as I’d never heard of him till last night.

Katic and Goldson may not play every game, we need someone as good as them pushing them for a starting place. Worral had his critics on here, but I'm a huge fan of his; I'd have him back anytime. It worked well having those three pushing each other.

Anderlecht paid half a million for him a year ago, not sure if he has been injured but he’s not played a huge amount of games for them

Where is the £3m value coming from?

The Sunday Mail, same paper who’s original version of the story had midfielder Lee Evans picture attached to the story.

Katic still has a lot to learn IMO, so does the defence as a whole TBH. He came on leaps and bounds when he got back on the team TBF. The defending in that Spartak away match was like a comedy sketch. We would have qualified form that group if we had our s*ite together at the back.

We almost did it last season. £2.5m on Kean Bryan before we pulled the plug on it. Bid nearly £3m for Cooper AFTER Goldson and Katic arrived.

I have no doubts Gerrard is after a centre half for good money.

James Lawrence a Rangers transfer target as Steven Gerrard weighs up £3m move for Anderlecht star
0_Croatia-v-Wales-UEFA-Euro-2020-Qualifying-Group-E-Stadion-Gradski-Vrt.jpg

The centre-back is on a list of potential signings but Championship sides Stoke and Swansea are also interested.
Rangers are weighing up a £3 million move for Anderlecht and Wales defender James Lawrence.

Mailsport understands the 26-year-old left centre-back is on a list of Ibrox targets, as Steven Gerrard looks to bolster his squad ahead of the new campaign.

The Rangers gaffer is a big admirer of Lawrence but could face stiff competition from Championship clubs Stoke and Swansea for his signature.
Gerrard is still on the look-out for at least one new centre-half - having so far failed to land Oldham youngster George Edmundson.

He spent £3million to snare Connor Goldson a year ago and will have to splash out a similar fee to land Lawrence, who would provide provide competition alongside Niko Katic.

0_RSC-Anderlecht-v-Fenerbahce-UEFA-Europa-League-Group-D.jpg

English-born Lawrence grew up in Holland as a kid and had spells at Ajax, Sparta Rotterdam and RKC.
He then moved to Slovakian outfit AS Trencin where he won two league and cup doubles between 2014 and 2016.
That earned him a switch to Belgian cracks Anderlecht last summer, where he made 27 appearances as they finished third in the top flight.

But Lawrence’s future is now uncertain after the return of legendary figure Vincent Kompany as player-manager following his departure from Manchester City.

That has alerted English clubs to his availability, as well as Gerrard who has already added Jordan Jones, Jake Hastie and Greg Stewart this summer.
Lawrence already has five caps for Wales and started for Ryan Giggs’ side in both of their Euro 2020 qualifying defeats to Croatia and Hungary last week - scoring an OG against the Croats in Osijek.

We need two centre half’s as back up for goldson and Katic . Whether we spend £3 mill on one is up for debate . I’d imagine left back , creative mid and striker would be priority for any large fees required .

We don't drop Katić. The whole team fell apart last year when we started rotating important players. Katić in my opinion is better than Goldson. Would we really drop Goldson?
Whilst not a knock on Katic, I suspect you are very much in the minority in viewing Katic as better than Goldson. Certainly the manager doesn’t agree based on his selection policy last season so I think it is quite clear that it is Katic’s spot which is at risk. I don’t think many would disagree that we need 4 centre halves, three of whom who are in the nature of “starters” even though only 2 will likely start in any given week.

This is the type of player we should be interested in, but EPL wages will be mouthwatering compared to us

Think we are all over-hyping Katic to a certain degree, personally believe will be decent with more time but still think he is quite a way off being the finished article.

Anderlecht are very very poor.

The mentally challengeds pumped them a few times in Europe last few seasons if I remember them correctly.

Sorry mate, but we do whatever it takes to win the league.

Of course, thats the only thing that matters, but Katić was solid last season, why would we want to change that?

I think a lot of fans keep thinking about how we ended the season on a high (bar Kilmarnock away) but need to remember the rest of the season, we really weren't that good. Turned up to the big games in the Old Firms at Ibrox and in Europe but the league and cups were a real shambles.

Need to find consistency and stop swapping the players about, thats what done us last season.

I don't understand how so many people have missed the thread thats been going since last night.

Its literally been the top 4 or 5 threads since 11pm last night.

We need two centre half’s as back up for goldson and Katic . Whether we spend £3 mill on one is up for debate . I’d imagine left back , creative mid and striker would be priority for any large fees required .

If we are spending that kind of money on any player mate, it is too start. No cha .ca we are spending significant money on someone to play back up!

No matter what anybody thinks of him as a player , if there is genuine interest from teams in the Premiership , it's a non starter.

Katic really isn't better than Goldson, its mad folk think that.

I would say quite a large part of our support believe he is better than Goldson, I would be in that category too.

I think Katic is more solid at the back, less prone to mistakes and also a goal threat at the other end.

I think we have to view Katic and Goldson and the main pairing.

Of course, we then need a very good 3rd, then either an old or young 4th.

I’m not sure we need to spend £3m on a 3rd choice centre half.

A Souttar type, who knows the league and wouldn’t demand a start could be a good fit.

Even that big ex mentally challenged type, Findlay, he’s a 3/4th guy. (I do not think any mentally challenged should ever pull on the jersey).

Loathed to spend what could be 1/3 of our total budget on a defender when we have the best pairing in the league.

Wouldn’t be against another loan. Worrall type.

Gerrard was looking to spend money on the central defence last season as well.

He clearly wants a left footed centre half. There's a reason he was willing to spend £2.5m on Kean Bryan or £3m on Jake Cooper last season

Sounds like another Danny Wilson to me no thanks if we are going to splash out £3 million plus then go for Kalas or a proven quality defender then we have the same questions why break up Goldson and Katic ?

We almost did it last season. £2.5m on Kean Bryan before we pulled the plug on it. Bid nearly £3m for Cooper AFTER Goldson and Katic arrived.

I have no doubts Gerrard is after a centre half for good money.

Folk are also forgetting that depending how well Croatia u-21s do in the European championships Katic will possibly miss, or need a rest whilst we’re playing qualifying Europa games.

A centre back is a priority.

Back