James Rodriguez looking at a move to Qatar

He is on £200k own at Everton WTF????
They got him on a free apparently (probably a signing to keep Ancelotti happy) & it looks like those wages are way too high - by the looks of it he hardly plays either.

Everton are hampered by EPL FFP - profit & sustainability rules that run on a 3 year cycle & only spent something like £1.7 million last transfer window after spending money like a drunken sailor so I guess they just want him off the books.

Might explain why they were after Patterson for a bargain price instead of going big on a player.

Inconsistent at every club he’s been at. He was going to be a world beater after the start to his Everton career. A year down the line and he’s nowhere to be seen.

Football is just a job for a lot of players. They don't really care about the level or reputation of where they play, as long as they are made very rich whilst doing so.

I said at the time he would be the one from that World Cup that would get bought for silly money and go on to do very little, largely proved correct!
Probably something teams should be avoiding buying off the back of international tournaments, seems to happen quite often

He can't 'do better than Qatar' because there will be a club there willing to pay him £200-300k a week, it's tax free, they'll make him the face of their club and have him heavily involved in loads of off-pitch shit like advertising, sponsorships etc. He'll potentially make more money there in 3-4 years than he has made in his entire career including at Madrid and in the PL

Has he ever shown that he's a great player apart from that brief period around the 2014 world cup?

Yes.

Monaco Player Of The Year 2014
Assist leader
La Liga Midfielder Of The Year 2015
UEFA Team Of The Year 2016
Bundesliga Team Of The Year 2017
Champions League Team Of The Year 2017
Copa America Team Of The Tournament 2019

He's an unbelievable player, unfortunately his injury issues the last 3-4 years have been brutal.

Football is just a job for a lot of players. They don't really care about the level or reputation of where they play, as long as they are made very rich whilst doing so.

I mind Oscar said as much when he left for China.

Said people can talk about trophies etc all they want but it doesn't put food on the table.

Kinda bizarre considering he was probably already on about £100k a week in England but still.

Prior to the weekend, Demari Gray and Andros Townsend had made 36 and 35 sprints, respectively, in 3 games so far this season.

The bold James made 37 sprints in 23 games last season.

Prior to the weekend, Demari Gray and Andros Townsend had made 36 and 35 sprints, respectively, in 3 games so far this season.

The bold James made 37 sprints in 23 games last season.

Not really comparable though, the two you mentioned are wingers whereas Rodriguez is a central/attacking midfielder. If anything it shows he doesn't have to sprint as much because his football brain is much better than theirs...

Not really comparable though, the two you mentioned are wingers whereas Rodriguez is a central/attacking midfielder. If anything it shows he doesn't have to sprint as much because his football brain is much better than theirs...

Wasn't really comparing them, just a funny stat since @erskine bear brought it up.

I like James and appreciate his impertinence, but he was never going to work at a team like Everton in the EPL.

Obviously a talented player. He's 30 now and, while that clearly doesn't mean you're finished, I'm not going to blame him for making some money.

Mental money across there, tax free, would make him the face of Qatari football prior to the World Cup and sort him for life

Over rated as they come, I went to a Colombian match in the Copa America
He was non existent

One game is hardly a good sample size though is it? You don't play for the likes of Real Madrid and Bayern if you're not a top player.

I feel like there’s a few folk who never really watched him after the 2014 World Cup. But he’s looked great for Everton when he has played, but injuries (and hormone treatments) have curtailed his form.

Yes.

Monaco Player Of The Year 2014
Assist leader
La Liga Midfielder Of The Year 2015
UEFA Team Of The Year 2016
Bundesliga Team Of The Year 2017
Champions League Team Of The Year 2017
Copa America Team Of The Tournament 2019

He's an unbelievable player, unfortunately his injury issues the last 3-4 years have been brutal.

That's just his individual honours, but he's "shite other than a good World Cup" so he must be the type of prima donna/sand dancer that you never win anything with, I mean he only won eight league titles in 10 or 11 years in 4 different countries. Everton put an end to that though . . .

Argentina: Primera División Argentina: Apertura 2009

Portugal: Primeira Liga: 2010–11, 2011–12, 2012–13, Taça de Portugal: 2010–11, UEFA Europa League: 2010–11

Spain: La Liga: 2016–17, 2019–2020, UEFA Champions League: 2015–16, 2016–17

Germany: Bundesliga: 2017–18, 2018–19, ***-Pokal: 2018–19

One game is hardly a good sample size though is it? You don't play for the likes of Real Madrid and Bayern if you're not a top player.
Top players would at least show up in a big game. He had a decent few seasons the flaked,

I think he actually prefers certain managers than the actual club or league If that makes sense.
Real and Bayern have made bad signings, granted not to many.

Back