James Sands

I’m glad somebody else pointed this out.
I find it quite embarrassing that we have a player in our squad so reviled that posters, our own fans, make up stories like this just to berate him.
Agree. It is a nonsense. People have taken a dislike to him and will hammer him regardless.

Felt the game passed him by, and Kamara as well. Showed good awareness in the final third, played a couple of neat passes.

Was really disappointed that it was abundantly clear after the first 10 minutes that we weren’t going to control the midfield.

We move on, they’ll learn and we’re still top of the league.
They soaked the pitch was like a farmers field ball was sticking everywhere want a game for silky football

They played for fouls once it got into our half and bypassed midfield.

We didn't press well as unit tonight Alfie was left chasing 3 players and sat to deep we didn't really look like conceding either though

We weren't great but Davis and arfield were big misses

I didn’t think Sands did a lot wrong to be honest. That’s the sort of player is he. Get around the park, make tackles and pass it on. If anyone is expecting more than that then he’s really up against it with this board.

The whole team were poor and Aberdeen were allowed to make the game scrappy with a weak ref.

Personally I don't understand it ,but even the best Rangers teams of the late 90's and 2000 have struggled at Pittodrie.
We have to accept its a good point and move on.
No way am I going to judge a new signing on this performance alone.

You saw us at Dundee Utd then?
Thought he did ok. Issue is with Hagi who can’t pass the ball more than 3 yards with any accuracy. Supply to front three was poor and we needed to get the ball behind that abject Aberdeen defense

At tannadice we had 67.6% possession,
14 shots
83.2% passes completed
8 corners to 5

we got done with a deflected pass straight into the path of a runner

tonight
41% possession
7 shots
76.3% passes completed
4 corners to 6

not quite comparable

I’m glad somebody else pointed this out.
I find it quite embarrassing that we have a player in our squad so reviled that posters, our own fans, make up stories like this just to berate him.

Some clowns on here have actually programmed themselves to believe we played worse when he came on.

We were sh!t from the first to the last minute but some on here’s first thought is let’s blame Lundstram, Lundstrom, Lundstrum

Game passed him by.

Lucky to make the bench IMO never mind start.

He must've impressed in training but didn't bring that to last night's game.

Felt the game passed him by, and Kamara as well. Showed good awareness in the final third, played a couple of neat passes.

Was really disappointed that it was abundantly clear after the first 10 minutes that we weren’t going to control the midfield.

We move on, they’ll learn and we’re still top of the league.
I agree, Kamara had a terrible game.
Perhaps he couldn't settle alongside young Sands.
This area of the side was failing and Gio should have changed it.
Surely Bacuna a player who can carry the ball from deep and link the middle area of the park should have played or at least been introduced and thus shunting Alfie further up the park and into the faces of their center backs.

The reality is he had a very quiet game and it very much passed him by. No amount of turd polishing will convince me otherwise.

A poster on another thread claimed he was excellent ffs

When he came in, I wasn’t expecting much and nothing from him tonight made me think he’ll be challenging Kamara/Davis and co for a starting 11 slot anytime soon.

An 18 month loan deal suggests to me that this is a gamble that Wilson/Gio feel is worth taking with no obligation to buy.

Far from writing him off after one game as the full team were poor but I’m not expecting him to be a big contributor to us this season. I felt that when we signed him and after tonight, nothing has made me change my mind.

To me, I suspect it’ll be another squad filler option as opposed to a starting 11 regular. Quantity over quality which has been the main theme for us in the past few windows

I think the impact on Lundstram is really important here.

The writing is on the wall if he can’t get a game ahead of a young loanee who has only been in the country for a week and never attended a SPFL game in his life.

If I were lundstram I would be on the phone to my agent looking for an escape route as it is clear that Gio does not rate him.

Can't believe people are slating the boy. Look how poor Kamara was also tonight. The way we are setting up leaves the 2 in midfield totally outnumbered and exposed at times. When we make Wright & Kent hug the touchline, and have Hagi playing as the furthest forward of our midfield 3, then it is absolutely no wonder that Kamara and Sands had quiet games tonight. Aberdeen got players around them and swarmed them - this is what Gerrard used to do to win the midfield battle in old firm games. We are giving up the midfield in these away games now.

The blame rests on the formation and tactics Gio is deploying. The 2 games without Aribo we have looked especially brutal. The Dundee United game should've been a warning. We look a bit better with Aribo in there because he gets through a power of work attacking wise and defensively, and has so much quality, but it has been totally reliant on his individual talent at times. The setup is nowhere near ideal and needs addressed.

He had a very quiet first game. Nothing really good nothing really bad. It will take a while for him to get used to Scottish football.

I for one have high hopes for the boy.
He must have thought he was a kicker playing in NFL Europe with Cardinal Clancy officiating and giving Slaberdeen zero personal fouls for unnecessary roughness

Yea guys, I enjoyed my Rangers debut, but having an opposition player ref the game was weird
james-sands-3.jpg

I thought he did ok, if unspectacular. That said, I did think it was strange Gio started him tonight.

I thought it may have been to give Kamara slightly more licence in the middle but that didn’t seem evident tonight.

Lundstram gets a lot of criticism but one quality I feel he does have is a bit of dig. I’d have started him tonight on that basis and to allow Sands to settle in a little more.

Hopefully we get some more midfield options back pronto.

Kent should have plated Central and sakala should have been out wide. It wasn't the game for lundstram or sands
We needed somebody along with Kamara, who you suggesting if Kent is in the ten role and Sakala is wide? Hagi playing alongside Kamara?

Midfield is crying out for some investment, we actually need a holding mid that can take the game by the scruff of the neck and doesn’t give the likes of brown and Ferguson the light of day, far too lightweight

The other option was Lundstram, who barely completed a pass or made a successful tackle when he came on.

We had no option.
I get you dont like the guy but "barely completed a pass or made a successful tackle" Utter nonsense next you will be blaming the guy for Wahan?

The reality is he had a very quiet game and it very much passed him by. No amount of turd polishing will convince me otherwise.

A poster on another thread claimed he was excellent ffs

When he came in, I wasn’t expecting much and nothing from him tonight made me think he’ll be challenging Kamara/Davis and co for a starting 11 slot anytime soon.

An 18 month loan deal suggests to me that this is a gamble that Wilson/Gio feel is worth taking with no obligation to buy.

Far from writing him off after one game as the full team were poor but I’m not expecting him to be a big contributor to us this season. I felt that when we signed him and after tonight, nothing has made me change my mind.

To me, I suspect it’ll be another squad filler option as opposed to a starting 11 regular. Quantity over quality which has been the main theme for us in the past few windows

This must be your 50th ultra negative post of the night ffs.
Sands played in a makeshift midfield and looked a very tidy, athletic, capable player to me.
He's 21, played 1 game at a difficult venue and done fine.
I'll stick my neck out and say he'll be making you eat your negative bs in the months and years to come.

We needed somebody along with Kamara, who you suggesting if Kent is in the ten role and Sakala is wide? Hagi playing alongside Kamara?
I'd of had Kent as a box to box. Kemara sitting with hagi as the 10..we were never going to control that midfield with the players missing We needed to get Aberdeen on the back foot. Instead we sat off them like we did vs hearts and hibs for long spells.

I think the impact on Lundstram is really important here.

The writing is on the wall if he can’t get a game ahead of a young loanee who has only been in the country for a week and never attended a SPFL game in his life.

If I were lundstram I would be on the phone to my agent looking for an escape route as it is clear that Gio does not rate him.
I like the cut of your jib!

Let’s hope Lundstram has the brains to see it this way.

I thought Kamara was just as bad.

Our £20M rated midfielder was non existent yet again at another tough away venue.

Sands was OK on the night and will undoubtedly improve his performances for us. I know he’s with us on an 18 month loan; I can’t recall if we also have an option to buy at the end.

he looked a bit shellshocked at first but settled down and without being spectacular did fine

composed on the ball, always looked to make the sensible pass
the more experienced international next to him spent the majority of the night looking to get rid of the ball as soon as possible

I don't blame the guy but for me GIO should never have put him in that for his first game. I'm sure he will be a good player but to put him into one of our toughest away games coming from the MLS was madness
I thought he played really well.

Slow start but grew into the game.

Excited to see him develop and grow.

Kamara, Hagi, Morelos, Wright were worse.

We got very little from Barišić and Tavernier too and Kent final ball (goal aside) was woeful.

An all round rotten performance last night.

I thought Sands was ok, considering that we were missing quite a few starters. Looked to keep it simple. He wasn't helped by Aberdeen players falling over for fouls every time one of our players went near, and a ref willing to overlook that. Let's just give Sands time to settle, we are just back from winter break.

Thought he was pretty decent. Kept the ball moving and broke up the play well.

Wasn't helped by more experienced Rangers players in Kamara and Hagi being totally anonymous.

I don't blame the guy but for me GIO should never have put him in that for his first game. I'm sure he will be a good player but to put him into one of our toughest away games coming from the MLS was madness
Hard to disagree.
The game passed him by and he contributed next to nothing. Thinking back many years to Ray Wilkins debut v Hearts and he was also anonymous.
Hindsight tells me it was a mistake to pitch him in last night, especially in a midfield with the likes of Hagi.
He can't be judged on last night's game.

When he was talking to the American lad that plays for Aberdeen after the game he looked a little shell shocked.

Probably never experienced anything like that before. I thought he showed a few nice touches and he definitely has something about him. I don't think it was the right game for his debut in my opinion.

What a shxt post. Guy has just came over to the famous and all of a sudden he’s mince. Get a grip there was worse on the pitch tonight than Sands.
I thought he was tidy in the first half. Did the simple things well and looked comfortable.

Second half tactics didn't help him as we just invited them onto us and put ourselves under pressure.

He'll be fine.

This must be your 50th ultra negative post of the night ffs.
Sands played in a makeshift midfield and looked a very tidy, athletic, capable player to me.
He's 21, played 1 game at a difficult venue and done fine.
I'll stick my neck out and say he'll be making you eat your negative bs in the months and years to come.
There was nothing to be positive about last night

He didn’t do fine. He was anonymous so no point in trying to pretend otherwise. He wasn’t alone though.

Well he has 18 months with us to prove himself. I’m not writing him off, I just don’t expect him to be a regular 11 player for us and that’s not based solely on last night either however, nothing in his game last night made me think he’ll be taking the place of any of our regular midfielders anytime soon or this season

Hope to see him start on Friday as it is a proper chance to express himself.

I could see last night that tactically he has plenty to learn about the DM role.

He did however pressure the ball ok at times, intercepted once or twice, showed aerial ability more than once and I dont recall him giving the ball away as he kept it simple. Plenty to work with

I thought the lad did really well. A very difficult game to make his debut, but I don't recall him putting a foot wrong. Gets pass marks from me.

Was a pretty risk decision to start him, which backfired.
For all his faults, Lundstram probably should have got the nod.
Better the devil you know and all that.

I've never believed in judging any Rangers player after just a couple of appearances and I'm not going to start now.

The piggery aside, it was probably the most difficult debut he could've been given.

Ffs people having a go at the lad sands , hes came from a league where the fans all walk about with big hot dogs and foam fingers shouting bing bong to being thrown in to a midweek fixture at pittodrie where 95% of the fans f**king despise us , the boy done ok , our whole midfield was piss poor and we need better attacking options in the middle of the park , we ended up chasing a game with 3 defensive midfielders on the park

Back