James Sands

Struggling to see what he offers us.

Another player that only wants to pass the ball sideways or backwards. Not fast, not particularly strong, doesn't shoot, doesn't pass forwards, not great in the tackle, not great in the air.

What is the point in him?

Another signing that doesn't improve our team.
Another post from someone who knows he haw

Squad player at best just now.

A good bit off the standard of guys like Jack, Lundstram, Kamara in the same position.
The same Lundstram that everyone thought was shit and had written off 6 months ago?

Tbh I think he has something. He's a defensive midfielder in the style of Ryan Jack amd that sort of player always takes the fans a very long time to realise what they offer the team. He wouldn't be in the team if he wasn't doing the job he was asked to do.

The question, do we need 2 DMs against Dundee? is a different argument.

Another player that only wants to pass the ball sideways or backwards. Not fast, not particularly strong, doesn't shoot, doesn't pass forwards, not great in the tackle, not great in the air.

He seems to be another from the USA production line of technically competent players who lack any real flair or charisma on the park. He appears to be neat and tidy enough and is not afraid of a tackle, but it appears that he will very rarely be positive game changer. Every team needs this type of player, but with the likes of Jack, Kamara and Lundstram already there, his game time could (and possibly should) be fairly limited barring injury to these guys.

Hard to look anything special on that shit heap of a park.Dundee sum up Scottish football (especially against us) fill your team with hammer throwers and kick anything that moves.Wouldn't write him off just yet.When you have Aribo struggling to control the ball on that park it's unfair to judge him on that game

Sands job was to sit, cut out opposition passes, win the ball and give it to our more flair players.

He did that. On a pitch where top players were struggling to control the ball, his control and passing was very good. I only saw him giving the ball away on one or two occasions.

He probably took the easy pass too often, this is my only criticism of him.

Why are fans so quick to write players off? Give the guy time to settle. He's looked neat and tidy in midfield at times. I sometimes think fans want every player to have the impact of Messi or Ronaldo.

Why are fans so quick to write players off? Give the guy time to settle. He's looked neat and tidy in midfield at times. I sometimes think fans want every player to have the impact of Messi or Ronaldo.

The difference is, he was bought he January to bolster our squad for title push. He is well off the standard required, so in that sense he doesn't have time to settle, same goes Amad and Ramsey. All of them needed to hit the ground running because our squad were squad on their feet and lacking quality and we had injuries.

Sands job was to sit, cut out opposition passes, win the ball and give it to our more flair players.

He did that. On a pitch where top players were struggling to control the ball, his control and passing was very good. I only saw him giving the ball away on one or two occasions.

Yes, my thoughts too.

Some posters forget that he's told what job to do out on the pitch, and as you mention in the first line, that's what he tried to do.
Too heavily involved in the back four/five triangle passing at times -- we did see that he can play a good forward ball, but they were few and far between.

We improved when he went off, but that's only because we had too many defensive players on at that time. No reflection on the player himself.

Unfair to pick an any player in midfield I think. If you change 1 player into a settled team, you should expect a performance. 2 changes, maybe won't be as fluent. To change all of them was in my opinion, crazy, especially going into an international break.

How much will it cost to buy him after the loan spell? Anything more than £1-1.5 M then we are better looking elsewhere, his status as a US player should bring in commercial opportunities.

The boys a good player. He will turn out I to get a good player when he gets right up to speed. He’s still young, he’s an international and he’s a good prospect.

Give the lad time and patience and he will deliver.

There’s no need to write the boy off.

What are we expecting here from new signings? To play like Gascoigne every week?

Give the boy a chance.

up to now , pretty much

Signings like Sands, Ramsay, etc I wonder if these are Ross Wilson signings and Geo doesn't rate them?

Players signed for the publicity more than how the can fit into our squad.

Signings like Sands, Ramsay, etc I wonder if these are Ross Wilson signings and Geo doesn't rate them?

Players signed for the publicity more than how the can fit into our squad.
It’s more likely that Sands was a Gio signing.

Considering Gio’s connections with the City group and his friendship with Claudio Reyna.

So he should be getting on the ball more and making chances. Pick the ball up and make a dangerous forward pass or have a shot on goal from distance.

If he isn't up to adapting to that in the SPFL, he is not good enough for Rangers. Playing away against utter dross like Dundee a game should not pass you by. End of story.
Well, that us all told, eh.
You only missed the “fact” sign off which, was probably a good idea because there is so much wrong with your post.
For example, adapting to be a different player than your core skill set isn’t as easy as you seem to think.
He’s been asked to do a specific job.
Let’s say he does break forward but something goes wrong the opposition break into the space he’s vacated and a scoring chance is created, possibly converted.
Who’d be to blame?

His whole role is to win the ball and get it to a guy who is capable of doing something better with it. We do need some watercarriers in our side to do the dirty unappreciated work.

He’s been here two months, thrown into games like Aberdeen when he was in effect at the start of his own preseason.

Remember writing off Lundstram after 3 games?

This forum is full of panty wetters.

In the games he has played the entire team have been shocking, except last week where he played well and the team played well. I can only conclude from that, that this ain’t a James Sand issue.

I would be looking at the established members of the team yesterday, they done nothing to help the guys coming in.

Morelos, Kent, Tav, Arfield, Bassey first half were all crap, some of them the entire game.

I don’t think it’s so much questioning the boy or his capabilities it’s more about a frustration with our recruitment. We seem to collect similar type midfield players that don’t give us great balance or many options.

I don’t think it’s so much questioning the boy or his capabilities it’s more about a frustration with our recruitment. We seem to collect similar type midfield players that don’t give us great balance or many options.
It's clear what our midfield requires but yes we sign the same type of player/quality time and time again.

This is where the criticism of our scouts/Ross Wilson comes into play.

Agreed, I think him playing that more difficult pass come from having more experience in our team, becoming more settled etc.

The issue yesterday wasn’t sands, it was that we were playing two defensive midfielders in lundstram and sands, can only play one of them. Even Ryan jack in there is different because he will take the ball forward more.

Squad player at best just now.

A good bit off the standard of guys like Jack, Lundstram, Kamara in the same position.
When those players signed they were nowhere near as good as they are now. I think Sands has the raw materials to be a good player under the right guidance.

Love it when FF users write a player off.

Normally a cast iron guarantee that they’ll become a player within 12 months.

Back