James Sands

Status
Not open for further replies.
He won every header aswell which I was shocked by.
He's very good in the air, always has been, but somehow that's gone under the radar. Think it's more obvious now as he's at CH.

I've liked him from day one. Good on the ball, great passer, good in the air, intelligent and a great attitude. Has added physicality.

He's going to have an excellent season.

Looked very composed and we definitely looked more solid when Sands came on. From preseason and today he definitely looks to have worked on himself a lot.

I can definitely see him ending up a CB. He's looked great there all summer.

Last edited:
He's very good in the air, always has been, but somehow that's gone under the radar. Think it's more obvious now as he's at CH.

I've liked him from day one. Good on the ball, great passer, good in the air, intelligent and a great attitude. Has added physicality.

He's going to have an excellent season.

He has always been nails, Scarlett. I mean he grew up in New York City!

But in all seriousness, this idea that Gio would just draft in a kid from the MLS and play him in some of the biggest games of the season is absurd. He must have huge character references, not just from City group, but like Reyna etc.

Most USMNT fans online would have him over Carter Vickers any day.

Sands has never really put a foot wrong for us, he just needed games and time to settle. The problem was anxiety-riddled posters on FF deciding that he was a "bizarre" signing, adds nothing, get him to f%^&, and all the usual rubbish. He's looked properly settled in pre-season and today and I don't think Davies walks into the team ahead of him.

Reminds me of Bocanegra the way he plays at centre half. Something very classy about him while keeping everything simple.

If he goes with Sands on Tuesday (I would) it could be a long way back for Soutter already. Can't write anyone off after one game, but with Sands looking more than capable there, Helander and Davies fighting for the slot its going to be very hard for him

Based on what we’ve seen so far, definitely. I do think in time Davies will be playing that but until he’s up to speed, Sand deserves the shirt. Problem for Souttar is he is significantly more comfortable on the right and our right sided centre half never gets injured!

If he goes with Sands on Tuesday (I would) it could be a long way back for Soutter already. Can't write anyone off after one game, but with Sands looking more than capable there, Helander and Davies fighting for the slot its going to be very hard for him
Unfortunately I think the days of Helander being considered a serious option are over. A shame.

Far far superior in every department from souttar

He needs to start until Davies is up to speed
The thing i really like bout sands is his calmness. Plus he can play a pass which he showed with a great diagonal the end of second half. I still think though it’s still too early to write souttar off just yet mate

He had better go with Sands on Tuesday.
Souttar experiment on the.left is over for me before its really begun.

Not a negative thread against Souttar but one of praise for James Sands. I think his recent performances (Europa League final, 3 pre season friendlies and when he came on today) have shown he deserves to start at left center back for us until someone proves they can be better. That may well be a fit Davies when he’s back but for now I think Sands should be playing. His distribution and range of passing are really good and he looks comfortable playing with his left or right foot. His ability in the air is something that surprised me too and he doesn’t get beaten many times.
The boy can play.
It is a slow burn into our appreciation of him, but it is becoming difficult not to be aware that he has a lot of as yet understated ability.
There is so much more to come from this lad.
One thing he is, he is an intelligent player who is a safe pair of hands.

Possibly but it’s far too soon to be writing Soutar off after one game

I'm never one to write off players early in their Rangers career, and usually berate those that do so, as so many have been proved wrong in the past. But right now Soutar has fell down the pecking order for me. Just behind Ronnie McKinnon.

Surely Souttar was really only intended as a backup for Goldson anyway? Davies and Helander will vie for the left sided centre back berth and Sands is the utility option.

I do agree that I’d prefer Sands to start on Tuesday. Souttar looked worryingly slow and positionally suspect and while no one should seriously write him off after one competitive game, he needs to improve considerably on today’s showing.

Yeah, happened with Bassey in the League Cup fixture against St Mirren where we lost in the last minute. Bassey was woeful. But fast forward 12 months and he was our best player helping us get to the europa final and getting us a club record sale ££££.

Might be dollars but I remember being surprised it was that high.
He’s just turned 22 so may be worth the investment.
Just looked at the current exchange rate and that is 4.1 million sterling, Used to be a good bit lower than that I’m sure. I think he’ll be a really solid player for us.

Reactions: BWO
Just looked at the current exchange rate and that is 4.1 million sterling, Used to be a good bit lower than that I’m sure. I think he’ll be a really solid player for us.

It’s £4.5m according the Rhecord

Rangers will have to fork out £4.5 million for James Sands if they want to trigger their option to buy the American.

That's according to MLS insider Tom Bogert - who reckons it's a stick-on that Rangers will keep him.

I was a bit concerned when he came on because I thought that Livi would go route one and he could struggle against their big players. I needn't have worried.

His passing was excellent, but I was impressed with his positioning and he timed his headers well to win them. Very good performance from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back