James Sands

Status
Not open for further replies.
hell of a switch on him TBF

BTW I get some want to give Goldson stick, but just about every player who has played next to him has been better because of it, that's not coincidence

He saved Tav getting utterly mugged a few times last night, before even considering the unseen work he does for his CB partner

Sands not being a natural defender has been so lazily said about him that it seems to have just become accepted by some. Not sure how anyone can watch him and say he's a midfielder, at least for a team like us.

There also seems to be a section of our support just waiting for him to lose a header or misplace a pass so they can have a go at him and say he needs dropped. If the rest of the team were held to that standard i think we would be into the b team already for players. I thought he was really good last night and has started the season well. We haven't spent 4 million on Davies to sit on the bench but Sands has made it far easier to not have to rush him into the side.

He's done a reasonable job so far this season but if Rangers are serious about being a Champions league side and winning league titles we need better.

Also don't think we'll be paying the reported £4.5m fee for him in 12 months time either so we should be looking at bringing in another CB in this window.

FWIW I am not entirely sold on Sands yet, happy enough to say but he is sort of reaching a stage at least where he is likely going to make our CB business over the summer look a bit....

I know it is early days, but if Sands plays much CB we are likely going to end up with an expensive addition on the bench while the midfield continues to go on lacking a proper game changer

Parts of our summer window don't look that joined up IMO.

James Sands is never a CH, and will not shift anyone out the team playing in midfield either.

Last night in particular, whilst in possession of the ball, he slows the tempo down big time. Has a quick easy pass to Borna, with Kent in acres to attack their full back, checks back to Goldson checks back again and Kent’s now marked and they press Borna. Played his teammates into trouble on too many occasions with hospital passes and the masses then jump all over Borna in particular……..and has a mistake in him as was evident last week against USG with his distribution on a few occasions with misplaced passes.
Goldson was poor last night , but was that down to being uncomfortable with Sands beside him? Who knows, but Sands is not for me in any position.
Absolute rubbish

James Sands is never a CH, and will not shift anyone out the team playing in midfield either.

Last night in particular, whilst in possession of the ball, he slows the tempo down big time. Has a quick easy pass to Borna, with Kent in acres to attack their full back, checks back to Goldson checks back again and Kent’s now marked and they press Borna. Played his teammates into trouble on too many occasions with hospital passes and the masses then jump all over Borna in particular……..and has a mistake in him as was evident last week against USG with his distribution on a few occasions with misplaced passes.
Goldson was poor last night , but was that down to being uncomfortable with Sands beside him? Who knows, but Sands is not for me in any position.

So you want to blame Goldon's poor performance on Sands? Interesting.

So you want to blame Goldon's poor performance on Sands? Interesting.
Read the post back mate. Goldson was poor last night, his defending at the corner was pathetic. Merely asked the question is/was his general play poor down to playing with Sands, who in my opinion is t a CH. Sands is way too slow in his distribution and puts others in a difficult situation when the opppsition press

Hospital passes from Goldson and McLaughlin dont help. But he was much better than Goldson last night.
Played better than Goldson but gets criticised more.

Goldson has got a howler in him every game this season whether its dallying on the ball and losing it or losing a man for a big chance etc.

Sands is young and showing him up imo.

Goldson is the better player but he isn't showing it this season.

Read the post back mate. Goldson was poor last night, his defending at the corner was pathetic. Merely asked the question is/was his general play poor down to playing with Sands, who in my opinion is t a CH. Sands is way too slow in his distribution and puts others in a difficult situation when the opppsition press
Is that why Goldson holds on to the ball for ages and ends up in trouble multiple times this season?

Is that why Goldson holds on to the ball for ages and ends up in trouble multiple times this season?
Which Goldson has been criticised before in his time with us, and rightly so. So why should Sands escape the same criticism ?

Which Goldson has been criticised before in his time with us, and rightly so. So why should Sands escape the same criticism ?
Yeah but unless I read it wrong, you said Sands slow passing caused Goldson to be in trouble? He does that himself most of the time imo.

Sands has been excellent defensively and poor distribution wise imo but Goldson just as bad with or without Sands there.

He is very young for a centre back. I think he will improve a lot over the course of the season.
I certainly would not write him off.

Yeah but unless I read it wrong, you said Sands slow passing caused Goldson to be in trouble? He does that himself most of the time imo.

Sands has been excellent defensively and poor distribution wise imo but Goldson just as bad with or without Sands there.
It’s all about opinions mate, and I just don’t see it with Sands. His dwelling on the ball and decision making in possession is concerning. A few times against USG last week he gave it away in areas that caused us problems, and again last night. An early pass to Borna gives him an easy ball to Kent who was unmarked, and on too many occasions when he did elect to pass to Borna, they had pressed and Kent was closed down. That’s what I mean by putting his teammates under unnecessary pressure, just play it early and quicker

It’s all about opinions mate, and I just don’t see it with Sands. His dwelling on the ball and decision making in possession is concerning. A few times against USG last week he gave it away in areas that caused us problems, and again last night. An early pass to Borna gives him an easy ball to Kent who was unmarked, and on too many occasions when he did elect to pass to Borna, they had pressed and Kent was closed down. That’s what I mean by putting his teammates under unnecessary pressure, just play it early and quicker
Agreed mate, it's great to have debate rather than an argument just because you don't agree with each other.

I think Goldson is guilty of the same thing that Sands does and gets less stick imo

Sands is a good player asked to take risks and play football in his own box and he isn't used to it and makes mistakes but is getting better imo.

Sands had a good game last night, really solid overall. No idea why some people can't, or won't, see it.

The 2 things going against him holding down the CB role going forward are his lack of height/ aerial domination and the fact he's a right footer playing at LCB. However, I'm confident he will improve as the season goes on if gio sticks with him, although I'm also keen to see Davies get a run too.

In fact, here's a novel idea...maybe, just maybe, we give Goldson a rest for a game or two (domestically anyway) and see how a Sands / Davies combo would go? As much as I respect big Connor, there's nothing to say he has to play every single game of every season...

hell of a switch on him TBF

BTW I get some want to give Goldson stick, but just about every player who has played next to him has been better because of it, that's not coincidence

He saved Tav getting utterly mugged a few times last night, before even considering the unseen work he does for his CB partner
I don't agree with this.

Goldson's best performances came during 55 where Helander played 31 games beside him. I'd go as far to say Bassey quickly surpassed Goldson whilst playing alongside him to the point he was leading him at times.

Goldson's best attribute has always been his availability but his limitations are often badly exposed in Europe.

Thought he was brilliant last night.

His ability to play through the lines, showed a range of passing and done well defensively barring one or two examples of inexperience.
He's very aggressive which is something we can lack. Love a booking but I am confident that the coaching team can channel that aggression productively. You don't want him to lose that edge, similar to Alfie.

I don't agree with this.

Goldson's best performances came during 55 where Helander played 31 games beside him. I'd go as far to say Bassey quickly surpassed Goldson whilst playing alongside him to the point he was leading him at times.

Goldson's best attribute has always been his availability but his limitations are often badly exposed in Europe.

Goldson played 52....that's a %^*& lot of games without Hellander, one of which was an OF won with Jack f*cking Simpson playing next to him, so aye I will run with the he makes those next to him better thing

There was never at any stage a time when Bassey was leading Goldson TBH, a massive part of the reason Bassey could play the role he was in defense and take the ball out was because of the cover work Goldson could put in.

If Goldson was being "often badly exposed" we don't make a European Final, "often badly exposed" is just exaggerated nonsense

Goldson played 52....that's a %^*& lot of games without Hellander.

There was never at any stage a time when Bassey was leading Goldson TBH, a massive part of the reason Bassey could play the role he was in defense and take the ball out was because of the cover work Goldson could put in.

If Goldson was being "often badly exposed" we don't make a European Final, "often badly exposed" is just exaggerated nonsense
It really isn't if you are prepared to review the goals, for example, conceded en route to last year's final and dare i say it, in the final itself: first goal versus Dortmund at Ibrox; Leipzig at Ibrox and Braga at Ibrox are all goals he is at fault for.

He's been good for Rangers but nothing more and not the colossus he seems to have a reputation for being. There's no shame in admitting that, up a level, he's found wanting.

Some input that
Watch the game again. Sands passing was crisp and the receiver got the ball in time to control before being under pressure.

It really isn't if you are prepared to review the goals, for example, conceded en route to last year's final and dare i say it, in the final itself: first goal versus Dortmund at Ibrox; Leipzig at Ibrox and Braga at Ibrox are all goals he is at fault for.

He's been good for Rangers but nothing more and not the colossus he seems to have a reputation for being.

It really is.

I mean, lets review one, Leipzig goal at Ibrox, it was a f*cking sublime goal by an highly rated player who likely moves for 60 million + who Goldson, generally bitched over two legs to the point the boy asked for his shirt at the end

But aye Goldson, f*cking hell, he was outstanding against Leipzig despite an utter nonsense of a yellow card early as well

Against Dortmund we were under the cosh for the vast majority of a two legged tie, Goldson made a bit of a c*nt of a clearing header but that aside blocked an absolute f*ck load of their efforts

These teams are going to get chances and score goals now and then, if he was "often being badly exposed" you would have been able to list a f*ck lot more goals than 3 goals over the course of a European Campaign when he played 14 games

It really is.

I mean, lets review one, Leipzig goal at Ibrox, it was a f*cking sublime goal by an highly rated player who likely moves for 60 million + who Goldson, generally bitched over two legs to the point the boy asked for his shirt at the end

But aye Goldson, f*cking hell.

Against Dortmund we were under the cosh for the vast majority of a two legged tie, Goldson made a bit of a c*nt of a clearing header but that aside blocked an absolute f*ck load of their efforts

These teams are going to get chances and score goals now and then, if he was "often being badly exposed" you would have been able to list a f*ck lot more goals than 3 over the course of a European Campaign when he played 14 games
Revisionism at it's finest.

Nkuku could have had a hat trick in the first leg had it not been for McGregor and the woodwork.

I understand people rate Goldson and it's a game of opinions but to say that anyone who plays alongside him has improved as a result is a stretch and I didn't see anything of the "unseen" work he did for Sands last night.

Revisionism at it's finest.

Nkuku could have had a hat trick in the first leg had it not been for McGregor and the woodwork.

I understand people rate Goldson and it's a game of opinions but to say that anyone who plays alongside him has improved as a result is a stretch and I didn't see anything of the "unseen" work he did for Sands last night.

It's not in all honesty, other than the chance Nkunku made a roaring c*nt of it he was very little threat in the first leg, Goldson was probably our best player in the first leg, McGregor didn't have some wonder game comparable to Bremen away by any stretch v them.

It's not that much a stretch TBH, the position next to him has been a revolving door and both his managers have backed him as the key communicator in our defense, it's actually not even that unseen that part, it is patently f*cking obvious when at games as well

If he gets a sustained run in the team, I've a feeling Sands could be this season's Bassey in terms of improvement and importance to the team. If Davies lives up to expectations and competition for places in midfield limits his game time, we might not see him develop as much, but I think he'll probe himself a very good player in his career. In saying that, it's frightening to think we might not have been selling Bassey for £20m or thereabouts if not for the opportunities he had due to chronic injuries at centre half and Borna's form collapsing for large parts of last season.

I feel more comfortable with Sands playing a pass into the centre of midfield than I do Goldson.

Moves the ball fast, good range of passing. Doesn't lack confidence and has zero fear when playing and I think when you have those two things, you've a very good chance of succeeding at Rangers.

In all honesty i thought Sands was MOTM last night, he's growing in to the role.

Whether he's good enough right now for us to challenge on all fronts, i'm not quite so sure.
I have him MOTM too. De Jong is a tricky opponent and he had one chance all game, apart from that the defence marshalled him well. Sands looked strong in the air, won his duels and was confident playing out from the back.

I feel more comfortable with Sands playing a pass into the centre of midfield than I do Goldson.

Moves the ball fast, good range of passing. Doesn't lack confidence and has zero fear when playing and I think when you have those two things, you've a very good chance of succeeding at Rangers.
He most certainly wasn’t moving the ball fast last night slow ponderous and his inability to use his left foot for a professional footballer is ridiculous.

He most certainly wasn’t moving the ball fast last night slow ponderous and his inability to use his left foot for a professional footballer is ridiculous.
He’s pretty good with his left foot but playing a right footer on the left is always going to cause some issues. Was only slow and ponderous on the ball when there was no players showing or no forwards runs.

I’ve been very impressed by Sands so far this season, can tell he’s been working hard on his game. If he keeps this up he’ll be in the US World Cup squad and a no brainer to sign permanently.

Sands not being a natural defender has been so lazily said about him that it seems to have just become accepted by some. Not sure how anyone can watch him and say he's a midfielder, at least for a team like us.

There also seems to be a section of our support just waiting for him to lose a header or misplace a pass so they can have a go at him and say he needs dropped. If the rest of the team were held to that standard i think we would be into the b team already for players. I thought he was really good last night and has started the season well. We haven't spent 4 million on Davies to sit on the bench but Sands has made it far easier to not have to rush him into the side.
Well said mate.
He played really well last night against a v good team.
I think he’s got a chance to become a really good right sided centre back

What a nuts thread.

Sands is an alright at centre back. That's it so far. Certainly not an answer season long.

Goldson is still our best centre back. Despite his errors.

It's odd if either of those are contested.

Sands is a good defender but unfortunately for him he’s the easy target, and for a lot of our fans there is always someone who will get slated no matter what.

People who say he’s never a centre half clearly don’t watch a lot a football. I tho k they’re wanting a big unit who just headers and kicks it the way he’s facing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back