James Tavernier and Connor Goldson’s contract situatuon

It will be very interesting to see how the Club handle these contracts...if we do cash in it’s understandable. I’d keep Tav if I was in charge & let him near enough finish his career with us.

It may not be a popular opinion but I’d update Goldson & cash in this summer. Although it’s always a risk signing another player that might not hit the ground running with us & CG is 100% first choice Centre Back at the Club.

However I do believe both will sign new deals & have a crack at CL football. They won’t ever sign for a bigger Club or play @ the top table of European Football if they leave us.

Pretty sure both will fancy a crack at the champions league next season....
I think this, undoubtedly. Where else will they get the chance to stand there and listen to that music blaring out, filling the stadium?

1792095_450_450_676_0_fit_0_b62fbf1bad17e20854b0dc47423dd6a9.jpg

It will be very interesting to see how the Club handle these contracts...if we do cash in it’s understandable. I’d keep Tav if I was in charge & let him near enough finish his career with us.

It may not be a popular opinion but I’d update Goldson & cash in this summer. Although it’s always a risk signing another player that might not hit the ground running with us & CG is 100% first choice Centre Back at the Club.

However I do believe both will sign new deals & have a crack at CL football. They won’t ever sign for a bigger Club or play @ the top table of European Football if they leave us.
Unless we sell Goldson this summer, then (contract permitting) he would be here until 32-34. This summer is the last chance to get good money for him, he turns 29 midway through next season. His value will start to plummet at that age and his value to our defence would be worth more than selling and replacing him. The problem with that is the vast majority of our defence could be late 20s/earlier 30s next season. No real resale value in that and to be sustainable long term, that is something we need.

Unless we sell Goldson this summer, then (contract permitting) he would be here until 32-34. This summer is the last chance to get good money for him, he turns 29 midway through next season. His value will start to plummet at that age and his value to our defence would be worth more than selling and replacing him. The problem with that is the vast majority of our defence could be late 20s/earlier 30s next season. No real resale value in that and to be sustainable long term, that is something we need.
Yeah I would sell Goldson (hopefully 12+ million) on this summer & replace him with a younger model around 4/5 million.

I don’t think this opinion will be shared by most here as they’ll want to keep our best players.

However...I’ve not got a problem our defenders being in early 30’s as regarding performances they can be at their peak during these years as a defender with experience etc, although I take your point their value decreases a lot.

Depends if they fancy a shot at the English premiership. They both have 1 big move left in them, 1 big contract and the money is in England. They both probably know were the biggest club their likely to play for and if they stayed and won multiple honours they would be regarded as legends. Quite simple... stay for that and all that means or chase the money and maybe a lifelong ambition to test themselves in their nations top league.

either way we win out of it.

True. But we don't necessarily need it in every position. We need to get much better at selling players, but if that 'pipeline' currently consists of Alfie, Kamara and Barisic, then I think that gives us the breathing space for more experienced centre halves and keeper. There can be diminishing returns as well - say we replace Goldson with a younger model and he eventually turns out to be great - but in the meantime costs us in a Euro Qualifier...that's undone what we made selling Connor. It's a difficult balance.

Personally, I think Tav will retire here. Wouldn't be surprised to see him move into coaching with us.

Champions league beckons.

both players have improved under gerrard. They will want a crack at champions league and will expect to qualify for group based on form

Tav could play for a top 6 EPL club and probably quadruple his wages. I hope they both stay for a couple more seasons

Yeah I would sell Goldson (hopefully 12+ million) on this summer & replace him with a younger model around 4/5 million.

I don’t think this opinion will be shared by most here as they’ll want to keep our best players.

However...I’ve not got a problem our defenders being in early 30’s as regarding performances they can be at their peak during these years as a defender with experience etc, although I take your point their value decreases a lot.
I've got no problem when it's a few but from cm to GK we only have 5 players under 28(6 if you include long term injured Katic) and 5 in their thirties. I think long term that will have to change, if we want to become sustainable. I think with champions League money and a few sales, it will. We will have more money to invest in younger talent. We haven't really been able to take those kinds of risks and Gerrard has had to rebuild a full squad in 5 windows. Group stages and one or 2 sales this summer and we could see quite a few younger promising players coming in.

Upfront we are younger with everyone under 25 expect for Roofe.

I believe only Killie have an older squad than us in Scotland.

True. But we don't necessarily need it in every position. We need to get much better at selling players, but if that 'pipeline' currently consists of Alfie, Kamara and Barisic, then I think that gives us the breathing space for more experienced centre halves and keeper. There can be diminishing returns as well - say we replace Goldson with a younger model and he eventually turns out to be great - but in the meantime costs us in a Euro Qualifier...that's undone what we made selling Connor. It's a difficult balance.

Personally, I think Tav will retire here. Wouldn't be surprised to see him move into coaching with us.
I get that but neither sign a new contract then they will have to be moved on. We can't afford to lose out on those transfer fees. Keep them until the playoff is done and if they don't sign, then sadly we should move them on.

If Tav is willing to sign a new deal, then based on what Tav gives us, I believe his value on the pitch greatly outweighs what we could get for him with 12 months left on his deal. If we could get 4 further years out of Tavernier, then it's better than getting 6-8 million in the summer. We won't get 9/10 million for a player turning 30 with 12 months left on his deal.

With Goldson I'm in two minds even with 12 months left we could still get over 10 million. He's been quality this season but it is the last window he holds decent value. If he signs a new deal then keep him, if he doesn't then try to keep him until after the playoff then move on.

I will go against the grain here, I think if both don't sign a new deal in the summer then both will be sold, it's the way it has to be for us now, we can't afford to lose players for nothing when contracts expire

Spot on. If any player wants to rundown their contract we should do all we can to sell them asap to get some funds.

Perhaps worrying unnecessarily but genuinely surprised we have let 2 of our most important players, captain and vice captain, get so close to only having a year remaining without talks to extend contracts.

Tav could stay here and lead Rangers to more trophies if the league gets won this season.
If he does that, he will write his own chapter as a Rangers player and as a captain of The Rangers.
He will maybe go down as an all-time great.
He might even be sitting in John Greig's seat in forty years time.

Connor Goldson is also becoming a fixture in the Rangers story.
John Greig's seat, I think you might be getting carried away a bit.
I think in Tav's case it will depend on his family, he won't get a bigger Club than us, nor will Goldson

I've got no problem when it's a few but from cm to GK we only have 5 players under 28(6 if you include long term injured Katic) and 5 in their thirties. I think long term that will have to change, if we want to become sustainable. I think with champions League money and a few sales, it will. We will have more money to invest in younger talent. We haven't really been able to take those kinds of risks and Gerrard has had to rebuild a full squad in 5 windows. Group stages and one or 2 sales this summer and we could see quite a few younger promising players coming in.

Upfront we are younger with everyone under 25 expect for Roofe.

I believe only Killie have an older squad than us in Scotland.
Yeah I see your thinking...I believe Centre Midfielders are where we need to focus our recruitment on as Davis 36, Arfield 32 & Jacks around 30 so we need to look to bring players in that will hopefully do as gooda job as these 3 have done in the next few years...& that won’t be easy.

Ideally yes we'd like to see them both sign new contracts.

They aren't likely to be breaking into any EPL teams in the CL so why not stay here?

The only risk is if someone from The English FA tells either they would be in with a shout of international call up on their form if they were playing in the EPL. Hopefully if we make the CL and we/they perform well it won't be completely beyond their grasp with us.

John Greig's seat, I think you might be getting carried away a bit.
I think in Tav's case it will depend on his family, he won't get a bigger Club than us, nor will Goldson
Well maybe, but this seasons championship if we win it, and nothing is won yet, will probably for me be the most important, the most satisfying and probably the most poignant title win in my lifetime and I am well into my sixties.
I hope I stay the course to see it.
As a milestone in the Rangers story is will deliver an avalanche of emotion.
There may not be enough champagne in Glasgow to wet it.

Tavernier will, if this happens, will not just hoist a trophy into the air, he will lift a belief, a holy grail crafted by unswerving love and devotion, and a testament to 150 years of heritage and tradition given rightful salvation.

This will be the award to the captain of Rangers this season if it happens.
Not a page in our history but maybe a whole chapter, probably a book and perhaps even a sacred text.

Not just a huge step for one man but a leap forward for the entire Rangers support. ;)

Well maybe, but this seasons championship if we win it, and nothing is won yet, will probably for me be the most important, the most satisfying and probably the most poignant title win in my lifetime and I am well into my sixties.
I hope I stay the course to see it.
As a milestone in the Rangers story is will deliver an avalanche of emotion.
There may not be enough champagne in Glasgow to wet it.

Tavernier will, if this happens, will not just hoist a trophy into the air, he will lift a belief, a holy grail crafted by unswerving love and devotion and a testament of 150 years of heritage and tradition given rightful salvation.

This will be the award to the captain of Rangers this season if it happens.
Not a page in our history but maybe a whole chapter, probably a book and perhaps even a sacred text.

Not just a huge step for one man but a leap forward for the entire Rangers support. ;)
Tav has been fantastic this season and he will be held in high regard in our History
But will never be voted GER

say one of them fancies a crack at the champions league, but doesn’t want to stay beyond next season, do we sell them or let them go for free?

You ask them to sign one year extensions and if they choose to go after next season and having a crack at the CL then they go with our best wishes and we receive a transfer fee.

Not read the thread, so probably been said already..

Both are so focussed on this title that they will leave this until the summer, and both will extend.

I expect Connor to go for a final crack at the EPL in a couple of years time, but I think Tav will be with us for as long as his engine holds out. Which could be another 4 or 5yrs easily the shape he is in.

I get that but neither sign a new contract then they will have to be moved on. We can't afford to lose out on those transfer fees. Keep them until the playoff is done and if they don't sign, then sadly we should move them on.

If Tav is willing to sign a new deal, then based on what Tav gives us, I believe his value on the pitch greatly outweighs what we could get for him with 12 months left on his deal. If we could get 4 further years out of Tavernier, then it's better than getting 6-8 million in the summer. We won't get 9/10 million for a player turning 30 with 12 months left on his deal.

With Goldson I'm in two minds even with 12 months left we could still get over 10 million. He's been quality this season but it is the last window he holds decent value. If he signs a new deal then keep him, if he doesn't then try to keep him until after the playoff then move on.

Yeah, I agree if they play hard ball then we do likewise. They won't though, none of our English contingent would ever do that to Gerrard.

I think the club will want to concentrate on the football, secure this title, understand the potential CL revenue impact and at that point they’ll both be swiftly offered new contracts. I sincerely hope we secure both Tav and Goldson long term, they are crucial players for us and think that both will really fancy a crack at the CL. They are unlikely to get that if they return south to the EPL.

Back